PDA

View Full Version : Darkside - Front tire

Drive Jehu
01-10-2015, 09:25 PM
19,500 miles and I'm getting ready for a new front tire. It will be... a rear tire. It looks like 2 popular choices for the GW 1800 are:
BT 45 Battle Ax 130/70H-18. Some claim it to be "smooth and quiet".
Michelin Pilot Activ 130/70-18. Comments include "noisy but last a long time".

I would appreciate your suggestions/comments on the selection of a darkside front tire.

Now for the mounting direction of the tire. I have read the dissertations on why to mount it in reverse. What I'm most interested in is your experience and why you prefer to run your darkside front in reverse rotation or not.

Dana beads work great on my run flat rear tire. I have just discovered this ride on tire balancer/sealant:
http://www.amazon.com/Ride-On-Tire-Balancer-Sealant-41208/dp/B0016680T0/ref=sr_1_2/178-5298960-7940268?ie=UTF8&qid=1420941120&sr=8-2&keywords=ride+on+tire+sealant

Any comments/suggestions about this product - darkside or not? I'm thinking of using it on the front.

Scotrod
01-10-2015, 10:11 PM
What are Dana beads?

BubbaJePH
01-10-2015, 10:20 PM
I'm sure he meant Dyna Beads.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php

I have been using them for years in my motorcycle tires. You CANNOT use them with any kind of fix a flat products that contains a liquid sealant.

bob109
01-10-2015, 10:41 PM
I mounted a Battlax BT45 at 16.5K miles and currently have 10+K miles on the tire. In retrospect I made the right choice for my 6. The tire show barely any signs of wear. Mounted the tire in the same direction as the OEM Stone and run it at 41psi. I encountered a low speed vibration when the tire was first installed and it abated after 300 miles. I attributed the vibration to the wide staggering of the centerline sipe/grove. Once the sharp edges of the sipes softened from initial wear the vib was gone.

I'm really pleased with the performance of the Ax! It has a higher cross section radius than the OEM Stone and carves the corners better:icon_wink:

Here's my original post on the topic!

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?2756-New-Front-Tire-Time

Regarding balancing, I use the "old school method" of static with zinc weights for my cycle tires. Just had my motorhome tires treated with RideOn. It's a combination sealer/balancer. Worked great on my 1160 mile trek for Pa. to Fl. this past fall! I may use it in the future on my bike tires.

Scotrod
01-10-2015, 11:38 PM
[QUOTE=BubbaJePH;58792]I'm sure he meant Dyna Beads.

I've used Dyna beads myself in a couple different bikes,,, Believe I still might have some out in the garage,,,

Thought maybe Dana bead's were something different,,, :icon_wink:

Limoles
01-11-2015, 01:54 AM
What ? Am I reading correctly ? On the FRONT WHEEL ? It's extreme !!!

bob109
01-11-2015, 06:29 AM

The BT-45 is the exact diameter as the OEM Stone! It is also 1/4" narrower!. The tire is duel compound with the center having the harder rubber. Full blown Wings have been using the BT-45 with great results. Some trike owners reverse the tire direction when mounting. Not sure why? So good is its performance I ordered a second Ax to have on hand once the current one is shot.:icon_wink:

Steve 0080
01-11-2015, 09:13 AM

This has been done for years !!!!!!!!!!!!! as stated on the GL1800 and Runes and many other bikes as well. Famous quote from an old friend." how does the tire know which end of the bike its on" ALWAYS mount in the correct direction !!!

Scotrod
01-11-2015, 11:41 AM
Famous quote from an old friend." how does the tire know which end of the bike its on" !!!

Well, even a blonde knows that!!! It either feels like cars are following it all the time, or it's wondering where all the bugs and wind are comin from!!! :shock:

Drive Jehu
01-11-2015, 03:16 PM
I'm sure he meant Dyna Beads

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php

I have been using them for years in my motorcycle tires. You CANNOT use them with any kind of fix a flat products that contains a liquid sealant.
I'll update my signature next. Thanks.

I was thinking of using the Ride-On TPS instead of the Dyna Beads. The TPS product claims include:
"Ride-On TPS (Tire Protection System) is a tire balancer and sealant compound that evenly coats the inner surface of tires
•This coating balances tires and makes them into self-sealing tires while you ride."

This sounds great if it works.

Drive Jehu
01-11-2015, 03:47 PM
I mounted a Battlax BT45 at 16.5K miles and currently have 10+K miles on the tire. In retrospect I made the right choice for my 6. The tire show barely any signs of wear. Mounted the tire in the same direction as the OEM Stone and run it at 41psi. I encountered a low speed vibration when the tire was first installed and it abated after 300 miles. I attributed the vibration to the wide staggering of the centerline sipe/grove. Once the sharp edges of the sipes softened from initial wear the vib was gone.

I'm really pleased with the performance of the Ax! It has a higher cross section radius than the OEM Stone and carves the corners better:icon_wink:

Here's my original post on the topic!

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?2756-New-Front-Tire-Time

Regarding balancing, I use the "old school method" of static with zinc weights for my cycle tires. Just had my motorhome tires treated with RideOn. It's a combination sealer/balancer. Worked great on my 1160 mile trek for Pa. to Fl. this past fall! I may use it in the future on my bike tires.

bob109, Just the feedback I was looking for. Your high frequency vibration that went away after break in was new to me. I did read about a GW 1800 rider that cured his low speed head shake after putting a rear tire up front. Mine has a slight 40 to 45 mph head shake. Maybe any new front tire, dark side or not helps this? Mine is not too worrisome, it's a mostly noticeable on deceleration. Thanks for documenting your Ax experience.

Limoles
01-11-2015, 05:49 PM
This has been done for years !!!!!!!!!!!!! as stated on the GL1800 and Runes and many other bikes as well. Famous quote from an old friend." how does the tire know which end of the bike its on" ALWAYS mount in the correct direction !!!

It looks like everything what I've learned and know about tires is subjected to many "wise interpretations" based on "experience" and never ending "projects" . Maybe so ? But :

There are two main differences between a front and rear motorcycle tire. The rear tire is flatter while the front tire is more triangular in shape. The triangle shape of the front tire helps the bike enter and exit turns while the flatter shape of the rear tire gives the bike more stability. The second difference is that the forces generated on the rear vs. the front tire are reversed. The rear tire is subjected to acceleration forces while the front tire is subjected to the majority of the braking forces therefore the inner lacing of the tires are set up reversed.

Unlike car tires, motorcycle tires actually need to be different for the front and the rear of the bike. Front and rear motorcycle tires are specially engineered to accomplish specific goals depending on the location of the tire and its purpose in your bike’s overall performance.

Rear motorcycle tires are responsible for certain bike functions, such as:
1 ) Power - The rear tire has a flatter profile, to provide the majority of the acceleration and stability for your bike, and wouldn’t handle as well if put on the front.
2 ) Weight - The rear tire carries the majority of the weight of the bike, calling for special design elements to keep you upright & safe at all times.
3 ) Lean - Since the rear tire does not turn, it is subject to the lean of the motorcycle. This requires a sturdier tire with a flatter profile to accommodate all bike's performance .

So , what's your choice - brothers ?

bobbyf6b
01-11-2015, 06:12 PM
:icon_deadhorse:

bob109
01-11-2015, 06:41 PM
It looks like everything what I've learned and know about tires is subjected to many "wise interpretations" based on "experience" and never ending "projects" . Maybe so ? But :

There are two main differences between a front and rear motorcycle tire. The rear tire is flatter while the front tire is more triangular in shape. The triangle shape of the front tire helps the bike enter and exit turns while the flatter shape of the rear tire gives the bike more stability. The second difference is that the forces generated on the rear vs. the front tire are reversed. The rear tire is subjected to acceleration forces while the front tire is subjected to the majority of the braking forces therefore the inner lacing of the tires are set up reversed.

Unlike car tires, motorcycle tires actually need to be different for the front and the rear of the bike. Front and rear motorcycle tires are specially engineered to accomplish specific goals depending on the location of the tire and its purpose in your bike’s overall performance.

Rear motorcycle tires are responsible for certain bike functions, such as:
1 ) Power - The rear tire has a flatter profile, to provide the majority of the acceleration and stability for your bike, and wouldn’t handle as well if put on the front.
2 ) Weight - The rear tire carries the majority of the weight of the bike, calling for special design elements to keep you upright & safe at all times.
3 ) Lean - Since the rear tire does not turn, it is subject to the lean of the motorcycle. This requires a sturdier tire with a flatter profile to accommodate all bike's performance .

So , what's your choice - brothers ?

I'm unsure where you glean all your info from but I'll tell you, you are dead wrong when stating the BT-45 is a wider tire because it is a rear tire. That depends on rim cross width i.e the Stock Stone doesn't have as pronounced cross-sectioned radius as does the BT-45 when mounter to the same rim, which makes the tire carve corners more crisper than the OEM Stone. I've personally performed physical measurement of both tires on the same OEM F6B rim. That's no guessing, assumptions or bull $hit. The Ax is 1/4" narrower than the Stone on the same rim. You simply can't compare tire size on assumptions. You'll even have variables on tire width unmounted and mounted and that will vary on tire manufacturer to tire manufacturer and rim widths.

I'm always amazed that folks fail to gather actual data on the items they have in their hand. All it takes is two straight edges and a ruler to capture correct tire width data. Hell. I even carry a thread depth gauge along with my air gauge. Maybe I'm annal, but facts are facts and bull $hit is bull $hit. I don't want to appear to be condescending but IMHO there's nothing that compares to personal experiences. If you have never tried it don't knock it! If you do try it and don't like it you can always return to you old ways and no one will "crucify" you:039:

With 10K accumulated miles on my first Ax I can state from first hand experience that it outperforms the stock Stone in ride and cornering! That's my observation! So pleased with it performance I have a new one on hand waiting to be mounted when the existing one is shot!

Like the original Stone, the Ax, when worn out, will be subjected to a tire autopsy i.e crossed sectioned so I have actual data to compare with pics between the two tire casings. I'll gladly post and share the results with all:039:

Scotrod
01-11-2015, 08:03 PM
There will always be arguments/disagreements on this subject matter. No different than Politics or Religion,,,

Isn't it about time this forum had it's own Darkside section? :shrug:

bob109
01-11-2015, 09:00 PM
There will always be arguments/disagreements on this subject matter. No different than Politics or Religion,,,

I would have to say that you may just be the guy to start a Darkside Session! Anyone who's as smooth on their feet (rumor) as you, can handle this task:icon_wink:

Phantom
01-11-2015, 09:02 PM

:moon:

http://hondaf6b.com/forumdisplay.php?15-DARKSIDE

Goldwing Werks
01-11-2015, 09:07 PM
I have ran a BT45 on my Wing in the past. Good choice however you must pay attention to the tire pressure. I would run 39lbs at a minimum. Also run it it the direction intended. Dyna Beads are a another great option.

Scotrod
01-11-2015, 09:29 PM
I would have to say that you may just be the guy to start a Darkside Session! Anyone who's as smooth on their feet (rumor) as you, can handle this task:icon_wink:

:moon:

http://hondaf6b.com/forumdisplay.php?15-DARKSIDE

:icon_laugh:

:yes:

:crackup:

.notworthy.

LMAO!!!

Well, I see I must have somehow taken a wrong turn somewhere,,, ended up in the 'dark-side' part of town,,,,

:yikes:

Sorry,,, I must be going!!!

:039:

:icon_laugh:

Limoles
01-11-2015, 10:17 PM
I'm unsure where you glean all your info from but I'll tell you, you are dead wrong when stating the BT-45 is a wider tire because it is a rear tire. That depends on rim cross width i.e the Stock Stone doesn't have as pronounced cross-sectioned radius as does the BT-45 when mounter to the same rim, which makes the tire carve corners more crisper than the OEM Stone. I've personally performed physical measurement of both tires on the same OEM F6B rim. That's no guessing, assumptions or bull $hit. The Ax is 1/4" narrower than the Stone on the same rim. You simply can't compare tire size on assumptions. You'll even have variables on tire width unmounted and mounted and that will vary on tire manufacturer to tire manufacturer and rim widths.

I'm always amazed that folks fail to gather actual data on the items they have in their hand. All it takes is two straight edges and a ruler to capture correct tire width data. Hell. I even carry a thread depth gauge along with my air gauge. Maybe I'm annal, but facts are facts and bull $hit is bull $hit. I don't want to appear to be condescending but IMHO there's nothing that compares to personal experiences. If you have never tried it don't knock it! If you do try it and don't like it you can always return to you old ways and no one will "crucify" you:039:

With 10K accumulated miles on my first Ax I can state from first hand experience that it outperforms the stock Stone in ride and cornering! That's my observation! So pleased with it performance I have a new one on hand waiting to be mounted when the existing one is shot!

Like the original Stone, the Ax, when worn out, will be subjected to a tire autopsy i.e crossed sectioned so I have actual data to compare with pics between the two tire casings. I'll gladly post and share the results with all:039:

Beside POLITICS and RELIGIONS , people found THE SCIENCE , which discoveries might convince those who are interested in following it . For me , understanding technology and engineering is more valuable , than getting into the "dark side" discussions , which its velocity could throw me to THE DARK AGES .

https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00786279/document

Scotrod
01-11-2015, 10:45 PM
Remember - "Never approach a Darksider with any ~Earthly~ Engineering or Scientific data,,, "darth/vader2' Their data was compiled on the Executor during a trip to a galaxy called 'Seatofmypantius'!!"

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/315/9/6/super_star_destroyer_ortho___executor_by_unusualsu spex-d6tquni.jpg

OOps!!! Gotta go!!!

Steve 0080
01-11-2015, 10:48 PM
Limoles... most/all the data out there is on 350# motorcycles that can stop on a dime and give you change, bend over to what, we have helmet sliders now...we ride a 900# Heavy Cruiser ..... this has been done for years and no one has caught on fire yet !!!

Don't knock what you have never tried...short of that...move along, nothing to see here.....

mike neal
01-12-2015, 03:55 PM
If I had only one upgrade that I could make on the F6B.....it would have to be to replace the stock tire with the BT 45. The improvement in handling, stability and just seat of pants feel is worth every penny. The added bonus of more miles between tire changes is just that an added bonus. Like others have said PSI is critical. I run 39 PSI with nitrogen in mine and always run with the arrow for correct rotation to sipe water. My brother owns the full wing and he also has thousands of hard miles on the BT 45. We ride throughout middle and east Tennessee, KY, NC and southern Indiana and very few miles are on the slab. Hard fast twisties are how we roll. Recently did the Dragons Tail in the rain and the BT 45 was amazing. Pictures of rooster tails and steam rolling off the front tire and brakes is pretty cool.

Also have the Yokohama on the rear so the Double Darkside patch goes on my vest. Finally gave up on the bogus paint issue and have the panels at the paint shop now for a custom two tone black and mango tango orange look. Will post some pics when we get it back together.

As many who follow this topic have previously stated.....until the chosen few extoll the virtues of "how it works" we will be stuck with the age old argument of why it will never work. Boy am I glad that the guy who sailed this way from Europe did not listen to Earth is flat folks.

Take care my friends. I would never try to convince anyone to use a rear tire on the front or a CT on the rear of their motorcycle. I am simply stating what works for me and "how it works".

If you spot a black and orange beast with orange rims....wave - I always do.
Michael Neal

coffee_weasle
01-12-2015, 04:45 PM
just curious Mike,

what version yokohama did you go with?

(i hear darkside calling me)

Drive Jehu
01-12-2015, 07:34 PM
"Like others have said PSI is critical. I run 39 PSI with nitrogen in mine and always run with the arrow for correct rotation to sipe water."

Mike Neal, I appreciate hearing about your experience, that helped. Glad to see you have it mounted for correct rotation as some don't and backwards mounting never appealed to me. BTW would like to see your Dragon run in the rain pix sometime! Thanks. Jehu

bob109
01-12-2015, 08:00 PM
If I had only one upgrade that I could make on the F6B.....it would have to be to replace the stock tire with the BT 45. The improvement in handling, stability and just seat of pants feel is worth every penny. The added bonus of more miles between tire changes is just that an added bonus. Like others have said PSI is critical. I run 39 PSI with nitrogen in mine and always run with the arrow for correct rotation to sipe water. My brother owns the full wing and he also has thousands of hard miles on the BT 45. We ride throughout middle and east Tennessee, KY, NC and southern Indiana and very few miles are on the slab. Hard fast twisties are how we roll. Recently did the Dragons Tail in the rain and the BT 45 was amazing. Pictures of rooster tails and steam rolling off the front tire and brakes is pretty cool.

Also have the Yokohama on the rear so the Double Darkside patch goes on my vest. Finally gave up on the bogus paint issue and have the panels at the paint shop now for a custom two tone black and mango tango orange look. Will post some pics when we get it back together.

As many who follow this topic have previously stated.....until the chosen few extoll the virtues of "how it works" we will be stuck with the age old argument of why it will never work. Boy am I glad that the guy who sailed this way from Europe did not listen to Earth is flat folks.

Take care my friends. I would never try to convince anyone to use a rear tire on the front or a CT on the rear of their motorcycle. I am simply stating what works for me and "how it works".

If you spot a black and orange beast with orange rims....wave - I always do.
Michael Neal

Kudos to you Mike for a excellently penned post. Like you, I believe the BT-45's performance well surpasses that of the OEM Stone in all aspects of handling. Corner carving is both pleasurable and sure footed. Keep us up to date on your continued experiences with this tire and enjoy safe riding:039:

bob109

mike neal
01-15-2015, 05:48 PM
Just a note to add.... the Yokohama CT that I currently run on the F6B is 185-55 16R. This specific tire has a stiff sidewall and I project 30k plus hard miles before needing a new skin. The rollout is a bit less than the stock MC tire so the added advantage is a you are a little quicker off the line and it gives me more opportunity to utilize 4th gear. The difference is not huge but it is a welcome advantage for my style of riding. The downside is that you loose a little bit at extreme top end but that is not where I do all my riding. I think I gained about 125 rpm at 70mph and that is just a seat of the pants observation. Maybe somebody else has better RPM data for a tire that is slightly less tall than the OEM MC tire. I always run nitrogen and like 40psi in the rear. I also have the suspension dialed up for more of a stiffer rebound on the rear shock.
Oh I forgot to add that this is not my first rodeo with the CT on the back. Logged over 60k miles on two different wings. I did have the Hankook on this F6B but replaced it with the Yokohama after 18k miles (picked up a construction spike in a work zone). I definitely like the sidewall stiffness of the Yokohama but as always it is rider preference.
Ride safe my friends.
Mike Nedal

Drive Jehu
03-06-2015, 07:31 PM
The BT 45 was mounted today and my inital impressions are that this was a good move. In my quick 75 mile run today I did not see twisties, just a variety of speeds from Interstate on down. This is a smooth running tire!

Can't believe I ever debated which direction to mount it, there are some in depth post out there that made me think about actually running it backwards (scientific data no less :icon_wink:). In the end mike neal suggested he was pleased mounting his the correct direction to swipe water. That rang true and I followed suit.

Currently running 41 lbs, 2 oz of Dyna beads with the lead sinker removed. Before mounting the BT 45, during decell I had a slight 40 something mph wobble, it was most noticable with both hands off the bars. It's gone. As soon as I can get in some Spring runs up and down the Blueridge Parkway I'll report back.

Next for consideration is nitrogen for both. Thanks all for your input, I'm pleased with my decision and appreciate your help.

yabiah
03-26-2015, 07:29 PM
Battlax BT-45; how many miles on yours?
Pics would be great. bob109, Drive Jehu, mike neal (any relation to LB Neal?)

Almost time to replace the Elite 3 up front and I am seriously considering the Battlax BT-45.
Thanks,
Tim

bob109
03-26-2015, 08:08 PM
Battlax BT-45; how many miles on yours?
Pics would be great. bob109, Drive Jehu, mike neal (any relation to LB Neal?)

Almost time to replace the Elite 3 up front and I am seriously considering the Battlax BT-45.
Thanks,
Tim

Make no mistake! The BT-45 is a superior replacement for the OEM Stone and Dunlop Elite 3! The radius of the Ax is more pronounced when mounted to the 6 front rim in comparison to the OEM Stone and 1/4" narrower. A great coroner carving tire IMHO.

With currently just over 12.5K miles on the Ax I'm already in possession of a exact replacement.

Here's a few pics of the Ax and worn out Stone for comparison of the "center groove".

You can expect a bit of high frequency handlebar vibration form the Ax until you get a hundred or so miles on it. Once the center grove edges soften/round over the vibration is gone. No need to be alarmed just letting you know in advance what I experienced.

I mounted the Ax with the direction arrow same as the OEM Stone.

I currently have no pic of the Ax with 12.5K accumulated miles. Did a thread depth measurement and have 7/32" remaining out of the original 9/32" thread depth. If I get a chance I'll get a pic and post it.

Ride Safe

bob109

Cool Hand Luke
03-26-2015, 08:08 PM
Is it possible for someone that has and likes CT tires on his/her bike post a video of riding it, maybe doing figure 8's in the parking lot somewhere? I would really like to see what the handling looks like. I have never seen someone riding a bike with them (or maybe didn't notice it). I would think that a video is worth a million words! Thanks.

bob109
03-26-2015, 08:17 PM
Is it possible for someone that has and likes CT tires on his/her bike post a video of riding it, maybe doing figure 8's in the parking lot somewhere? I would really like to see what the handling looks like. I have never seen someone riding a bike with them (or maybe didn't notice it). I would think that a video is worth a million words! Thanks.

There were one or two videos already posted by some forum members. Do a search!

Do a Google search of Dark Side Videos and you'll find several:icon_wink:

Here's one of several!
https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A0LEVjsmsBRVWAcAOHIPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTB0b2 ZrZmU3BHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1lIUzAwMl8x?p=d ark+side+motorcycle&tnr=21&vid=18D5E1D510A1C7F6373E18D5E1D510A1C7F6373E&l=118&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DUN.6 07995820047207820%26pid%3D15.1&sigi=11rqcqvbg&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DP Z_d5IIdRZI&sigr=11b3tpubl&tt=b&tit=Riding+on+the+Darkside+-+car+tire+on+a+motorcycle+...&sigt=11ln1vhg2&back=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fyhs%2Fsearch %3Fp%3Ddark%2Bside%2Bmotorcycle%2Bvideos%26type%3D verizon_access%252Fverizon_dsl%26hsimp%3Dyhs-vz%26hspart%3Dvz%26fp%3D1%26ei%3DUTF-8&sigb=148nim218&hspart=vz&hsimp=yhs-vz

yabiah
03-26-2015, 09:27 PM
Make no mistake! The BT-45 is a superior replacement for the OEM Stone and Dunlop Elite 3! The radius of the Ax is more pronounced when mounted to the 6 front rim in comparison to the OEM Stone and 1/4" narrower. A great coroner carving tire IMHO.

With currently just over 12.5K miles on the Ax I'm already in possession of a exact replacement.

Here's a few pics of the Ax and worn out Stone for comparison of the "center groove".

You can expect a bit of high frequency handlebar vibration form the Ax until you get a hundred or so miles on it. Once the center groove edges soften/round over the vibration is gone. No need to be alarmed just letting you know in advance what I experienced.

I mounted the Ax with the direction arrow same as the OEM Stone.

I currently have no pic of the Ax with 12.5K accumulated miles. Did a thread depth measurement and have 7/32" remaining out of the original 9/32" thread depth. If I get a chance I'll get a pic and post it.

Ride Safe

bob109

bob109,
Thanks for the quick reply.

srt8-in-largo,
Go away.

bob109
03-27-2015, 03:07 PM
Really?
You two assholes are why I don't post as often as I'd like.
Thanks for spreading your douchebaggery, once again, to another thread.

Don't get upset with the rude, classless, clueless and obnoxious behavior of Nay Sayers. They enter into a thread about Dark Siding by Dark Siders for Dark Siders and engage the "Mandible" before engaging the contents of the "Orb" which resides on their shoulders. They have not a single personal experience with the Dark Side yet profess to be "Sideline Experts"/"Monday Night Quarterbacks" because of everything they have read and quote as "gospel". What they need is their own "Podium" to openly discuss their dislikes but unfortunately they like to interject their negative comments to :stirthepot:

Documenting every element of your "Dark Side Experience" and sharing it with pics is "priceless" IMHO! It really separates "the men from the boys" and demonstrates ones desire to deviate from the "norm" and do it with "class":039:

Ride Safe

bob109

terrydj
03-27-2015, 03:30 PM
Have no idea how many Battle Ax tyres I have put on bikes????
But theirs none better
But I'm guessing at maybe 40/50???? :icon_cool:

But maybe I have just wasted my money and put car tyres on :icon_laugh::icon_laugh::icon_laugh::icon_laugh::i con_laugh::icon_laugh::icon_laugh::icon_laugh::ico n_laugh:
And
:icon_laugh::icon_laugh::icon_laugh::icon_laugh::i con_laugh::icon_laugh::icon_laugh::icon_laugh::ico n_laugh::icon_laugh: And and and and and and and and ????????
Car Tyres on Bikes
:moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::m oon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon:

bob109
03-27-2015, 03:56 PM
Have no idea how many Battle Ax tyres I have put on bikes????
But theirs none better
But I'm guessing at maybe 40/50???? :icon_cool:

But maybe I have just wasted my money and put car tyres on :icon_laugh::icon_laugh::icon_laugh::icon_laugh::i con_laugh::icon_laugh::icon_laugh::icon_laugh::ico n_laugh:
And
:icon_laugh::icon_laugh::icon_laugh::icon_laugh::i con_laugh::icon_laugh::icon_laugh::icon_laugh::ico n_laugh::icon_laugh: And and and and and and and and ????????
Car Tyres on Bikes
:moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::m oon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon:

Thank you for sharing that with all of us. A perfect example of classless input on a Dark Side Thread:039:

Steve 0080
03-27-2015, 05:08 PM
This is Steven, the Moderator, any future posts that are negative on this thread will result in an infraction on the board. Beware, You have been warned...proceed gently!

bob109
03-28-2015, 05:44 PM
As promised, I'm posting several photos to the Ax which has just over 12.5K miles wear. A close inspection reveals the fine line of different rubber compounds which make up the thread/tread face. Approximately 2-5/8" of the center is hard compound and the sides have softer compound. Ran my finger tip laterally across the thread face and I can actually feel the edges of the different compounds.

Wish I could enlarge the photos for better clarity! Maybe one of our Moderators can perform that trick:icon_wink:

redinoliver
03-28-2015, 06:59 PM
When my stone wears out,I will try a Pirelli sport demon. 130 70 18 rear tire.

Steve 0080
03-28-2015, 10:55 PM
Here ya go......

bob109
03-29-2015, 01:02 AM
Thanks Steve:039:

smokinjoe187
03-29-2015, 02:16 AM
i love my michelin rear tire,and if i didn't get such a smoking deal on the front tire thanks to a post here on the board...(99.00) from dennis kirk...
i would be ready to try this...as i get closer to a front tire i will do the homework...
i will admit...i would never have thought to do this but this dark side post has provided some great input...
to bad people don't heed the topic and feel the need to spout off
jmfho

smokinjoe187
03-29-2015, 02:17 AM
Limoles... most/all the data out there is on 350# motorcycles that can stop on a dime and give you change, bend over to what, we have helmet sliders now...we ride a 900# Heavy Cruiser ..... this has been done for years and no one has caught on fire yet !!!

Don't knock what you have never tried...short of that...move along, nothing to see here.....

+1 this is not the tire you are looking for....

Richie
06-12-2015, 06:08 PM
Will a dealer mount the BT-45 on the front, or do we need to find a tire shop?

It would be nice if a dealer would do this without a hassle.

Has anyone used this as a front tire and ran a OMC MT on the rear.

Richie

Hornblower
06-13-2015, 09:03 AM

Richie

I see no one has responded to this yet. Maybe Bob109 will step in to make a comment or two. I can say this...it is true that not all tire or motorcycle shops are comfortable installing a car tire on a motorcycle rim. Of course, the BT-45 is actually a motorcycle tire so I don't see why any shop would give you trouble over that. The best place to go to have tires of any type mounted depends on what's available in your particular area. I'm very fortunate to have an auto tire shop locally that does all of my work without question. In this case, the owner of the shop is a motorcycle rider and one of his guys actually doing the work is a good motorcycle mechanic himself. Maybe you want to look for a similar situation in your area.

bob109
06-13-2015, 10:09 AM

Richie

I'm fortunate enough to have a small independent motor cycle/ATV repair shop nearby. I purchased some tires from the owner over the years. His only reaction to my request to mount the BT-45 to my front rim was a big grin. The few mechanics (two) which work for him also have no issues with my "Dark Side Practice". They are kind enough to even offer a "high speed balance" once the tire is mounted.

It never hurts to ask first if a shop will mount a "Dark Side Tire" set-up. You'll either get one of two answers "yes or no". No harm in asking except for a occasional "verbal lashing" which is painless IMHO.

Just did a General G-Max CT mounting on the brother-in-laws bike (GL1800) and the local auto mechanic charged $10.00 for the tire mounting and $3.00 for the OEM Stone disposal fee. The dude had a big grin on his face when the brother-in-law handed him $25.00 and told him to keep the change. Needless to say this guy will be looking for our return in the future.

bob109

Richie
06-13-2015, 01:57 PM
Thank you both for the replies.

I am aware of the reaction asking a dealer to mount a CT on the rear and i would need a tire shop to mount the rear tire. I had hopes that because the front tire is a MT tire there may be no problem. Seems to me the rear rim and tire is much simpler to remove and replace than the front, that being the reason for a dealer. Not that i couldn't do it but a 72 years old i would just as soon not. Just about ready for a rear tire and thinking about taking a chance on crashing and burning. Ride two up most of the time and think this may be the way to go.

Richie

Steve 0080
06-13-2015, 02:12 PM
IMHO...you will be hard pressed to get someone to mount a rear mcy tire on the front of a mcy...just sayin......

Richie
06-14-2015, 08:51 AM
IMHO...you will be hard pressed to get someone to mount a rear mcy tire on the front of a mcy...just sayin......

You are probably right. Do most who use a CT on the rear run a regular front tire?

Thanks Richie

Steve 0080
06-14-2015, 09:22 AM
Depends on the rider..some folks put a lot of miles on their bikes and going double darkside extends tire life to a new level.... 30-40 K for the rear and 30 + for the front...with no ill effects...

BIGLRY
06-14-2015, 01:03 PM
No problem in my area, you can go to any of the MC shops, dealer or Mom & Pop shops with a correct diameter CT to MC rear or rear MC tire to front rim and have the tire mounted as long as you have $ or"ccsmiley"

Drive Jehu
04-28-2017, 06:31 PM
I'm declaring the BT-45 a winner - I had my third one mounted today with 68K on the clock. I appreciate the recommendation - this is a great forum!

Jupiterider
05-03-2017, 11:05 AM
I have followed this thread with keen interest and received advice from some local Wingers. As a result I have just ordered a Bridgestone Driveguard CT, a BT45 and 5oz. of Dynabeads through Amazon. I found it hilarious when researching this CT, the BT45 and beads were recommended by other buyers who almost all happened to be "Wingers"!!...grouphug:clap2:

Drive Jehu
05-03-2017, 06:30 PM
Jupiterider,

Dyna beads performed well for me. Because my ride plans will hopefully take me to remote locations during the life of these tires (more on ride plans later) I installed Ride On. I only have 150 miles so far but I can say the balance part of the product works as advertised at all speeds.

https://www.amazon.com/Ride-Tire-Balancer-Sealant-oz/dp/B00DX8BTUG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493852885&sr=8-1&keywords=ride+on+tire+sealant+motorcycle

For those who might use this, the Company claims this recipe is for "motorcycles only" and they sell another product for truck tires... I read this after the 3, 8 oz bottles were in hand. Install can be a bit messy. Dumping it between the sidewall and wheel during tire installation was the cleanest method. 10oz in the front tire, the remainder in the back and the ride is smooth.

jeffedose
05-03-2017, 11:17 PM
Jupiterider,

Dyna beads performed well for me. Because my ride plans will hopefully take me to remote locations during the life of these tires (more on ride plans later) I installed Ride On. I only have 150 miles so far but I can say the balance part of the product works as advertised at all speeds.

https://www.amazon.com/Ride-Tire-Balancer-Sealant-oz/dp/B00DX8BTUG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493852885&sr=8-1&keywords=ride+on+tire+sealant+motorcycle

For those who might use this, the Company claims this recipe is for "motorcycles only" and they sell another product for truck tires... I read this after the 3, 8 oz bottles were in hand. Install can be a bit messy. Dumping it between the sidewall and wheel during tire installation was the cleanest method. 10oz in the front tire, the remainder in the back and the ride is smooth.

You have 10oz of dyna beads in the front alone? Thanks. I run 3 in my Vmax 180 front dark side. I thought that was recommended by dyna beads?

Drive Jehu
05-04-2017, 05:47 PM
You have 10oz of dyna beads in the front alone? Thanks. I run 3 in my Vmax 180 front dark side. I thought that was recommended by dyna beads?

The link in my post should take you to a different product - I changed from Dyna Beads to Ride On. It's a tire sealant in case of a puncture (in a limited area of the bottom of tire only) and it also balances the tire.

stevenolts
07-05-2017, 07:10 AM
19,500 miles and I'm getting ready for a new front tire. It will be... a rear tire. It looks like 2 popular choices for the GW 1800 are:
BT 45 Battle Ax 130/70H-18. Some claim it to be "smooth and quiet".
Michelin Pilot Activ 130/70-18. Comments include "noisy but last a long time".

I would appreciate your suggestions/comments on the selection of a darkside front tire.

Now for the mounting direction of the tire. I have read the dissertations on why to mount it in reverse. What I'm most interested in is your experience and why you prefer to run your darkside front in reverse rotation or not.

Dana beads work great on my run flat rear tire. I have just discovered this ride on tire balancer/sealant:
http://www.amazon.com/Ride-On-Tire-Balancer-Sealant-41208/dp/B0016680T0/ref=sr_1_2/178-5298960-7940268?ie=UTF8&qid=1420941120&sr=8-2&keywords=ride+on+tire+sealant

Any comments/suggestions about this product - darkside or not? I'm thinking of using it on the front.

How do you like the Bridgestone Potenza run flat?
Is this the tire you have? Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT

Steve

Drive Jehu
08-17-2017, 07:27 PM
stevennolts, My apologies for not checking this sooner. I have the Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT. I'm on my second one now and like it. I got mine at Tire Rack and it was $175.34 delivered.

Drive Jehu
02-06-2018, 09:25 PM
I'm declaring the BT-45 a winner - I had my third one mounted today with 68K on the clock. I appreciate the recommendation - this is a great forum!

Tire report: I rolled 95k today and still have the same tire mounted. It has performed extremely well from off road to gravel road to twisties. The tire has seen 90 mph runs in summer heat across parts of the West. I keep my pressure at 41 to 42. Like every front tire I have had on this bike, including the stock tire, this one is cupped. Not cupped bad enough to replace but a little wiggle through the bars is becoming noticable on decel around 40 mph. All other times the tire is still gives a smooth ride. The thread is starting to get a little thin for my liking, there is some checking showing in the tire grooves, and I found a puncture mark in the middle of the tire today. Time for a new tire. It will be another BT-45.

I have a picture that is not loading and the search does not seem to be working. If you have directions on how to post a pic with an iPad or iPhone I would appreciate knowing how to do this.

Steve 0080
09-28-2018, 09:46 PM
I will be ordering a BT45 for the front of my GL the first of next week. The last trip to NC took the best off the Stone!.