PDA

View Full Version : Belly Pan...Is there a need?

Darkknight
07-03-2013, 05:40 AM
I was looking at accessories (no Really??) and I saw an ad for a belly pan for the F6B. It looked nice, but I'm trying to determine if it is really useful other than to satisfy my accessories addiction. The ad mentioned the water reservoir located down low and the possibility of kicking up rocks or debris and damaging the reservoir and losing coolant.

Has anyone actually heard of this happening?

It also mentioned better air flow for the engine.

So what do you think? Is this just bullS#**, or is there some valid reason to install a belly pan?

timjoebob
07-03-2013, 06:08 AM
Yes, it happens. Absolutely. Someone will post pictures, I'm sure.

Yes, the coolant reservoir is down there, but more importantly, your oil filter is exposed. I've heard of folks gashing their oil filter and leaking oil badly and quickly.

It's also a 15 min install.

FlyinF
07-03-2013, 06:28 AM
go for it, more good than bad (no bad does not affect airflow). I rode a Goldwing from Texas to Alaska and it was one thing less to worry about (damage to tank/filter).

Darkknight
07-03-2013, 07:17 AM
Yeah, you guys are right. The cost of any road hazard damage or danger from fluid loss would be SOOO much more than the cost of prevention.

Plus I get MORE ACCESSORIES!!!!:clap2:

Is it a bad thing when both the UPS and FEDEX drivers Beep and wave to you like an old friend when you pass them on the street?

:lolup:

jlig
07-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Lots of bikes have oil filters, cooling reservoirs and radiators exposed to the possibility of getting punctured/hit by road debris or other means. I'm choosing not to invest in the Belly Pan. Had one one my 2004 Wing, but not doin that again. Just sayin ....

Texas TC
07-03-2013, 05:18 PM
I bought mine to protect the exposed engine components and to keep the hot Texas winds from catching in the void under the frame. It seems to be doing a good job on both. It is really cheap insurance and, like said, easy to install.

Trike lady
07-03-2013, 08:03 PM
I would say it's a good investment. With rocks and other debris littering the roadway ready to damage the underside of your bike, it's a great way to prevent catastrophe.

micky_foccer
07-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Where's the best (cheap price) place to buy the belly pan? Link anyone?

Texas TC
07-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Wingstuff has this one:

http://wingstuff.com/products/313-2-piece-aircraft-aluminum-bellypan?from_search=1

KGREEN
07-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Texas Cycle Chrome is where I bought mine. A lot of places carry them, all around the same price. I bought the Tulsa belly pan.

Bruce B
07-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Where's the best (cheap price) place to buy the belly pan? Link anyone?

Got my Show Chrome black anodized belly pan at Wing Stuff for $54.99. Fit and finish were great. There is another black pan on the site for about $77 that reviewers complain about regarding the fit where the front and back pan meet. No such problem with the Show Chrome. Not shown well in the picture of the Show Chrome are the vent holes that run the length of the pan. They provide some venting, for whatever that's worth, and look good. Free shippiing.

Teach
07-03-2013, 08:32 PM
A friend of mine learned the hard way on his new 2012 GW about the damage that can be done if you drop off a curb on a wing with no belly pan. He didn't realize the drop off was there and bottomed out hard. I forget exactly what he cracked under the bike but he basically dumped all the oil right there.
Belly pans are cheap insurance on low sitting bikes.

edgeman55
07-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Got my Show Chrome black anodized belly pan at Wing Stuff for $54.99. Fit and finish were great. There is another black pan on the site for about $77 that reviewers complain about regarding the fit where the front and back pan meet. No such problem with the Show Chrome. Not shown well in the picture of the Show Chrome are the vent holes that run the length of the pan. They provide some venting, for whatever that's worth, and look good. Free shippiing.

I got the same one and it does fit great and looks good on the bike.My buddy took a rock and punched a small hole in his oil filter on his 2012 Goldwing.There is no way for that to happen with a bellypan.I have no temp problems with it on and I have ridden in 106 degrees this week.Plus it seems to have helped when riding in high winds which we get a lot up here in the high desert.

BillyDaFinn
07-04-2013, 12:32 AM

You talked me into it, I just bought the same one. Better to be safe than sorry.....

bobbyf6b
07-04-2013, 12:48 AM
I never considered this but now I might.

MNF6B
07-04-2013, 12:52 AM
For the very same reason you would wear a cup is the reason I bought one. You need to protect your junk!

Just sayin.

F6B-RICH
07-04-2013, 12:21 PM
For the very same reason you would wear a cup is the reason I bought one. You need to protect your junk!

Just sayin.

:kap: WAIT WAIT slow down. I need to wear a cup now to ride this motorcycle :lolup: :icon_laugh:

micky_foccer
07-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the link texas tc.

bobbyf6b
07-05-2013, 11:12 PM
Check this one out:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/show-chrome-accessories-big-bike-parts-belly-pan-black-anodized-honda-goldwing-gl1800-01-newer/part/BBP-52-817BK

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/BBP-52-817BK.jpg

BillyDaFinn
07-05-2013, 11:17 PM
Check this one out:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/show-chrome-accessories-big-bike-parts-belly-pan-black-anodized-honda-goldwing-gl1800-01-newer/part/BBP-52-817BK

Yup, I just bought this one the other day, shipping delayed 5-7 days for some reason.......

F6B-RICH
07-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Check this one out:

Thats the one I got. Nice fit,looks good and easy install. Got mine on E-bay $54.00 and free shipping got it in 3 days.

Hornblower
07-06-2013, 10:26 AM
The main thing that keeps me from adding this is that it adds more steps to changing the oil. I already added a Fumoto Qwik Valve to make that as easy as possible and, in addition, I've found that I don't have to remove the lower cowl. To put something else on there that makes me get out tools to change the oil is just something I'd rather not do.

edgeman55
07-06-2013, 07:44 PM
The main thing that keeps me from adding this is that it adds more steps to changing the oil. I already added a Fumoto Qwik Valve to make that as easy as possible and, in addition, I've found that I don't have to remove the lower cowl. To put something else on there that makes me get out tools to change the oil is just something I'd rather not do.

Two screws and the front of the belly pan is off.None of us have to remove the lower cowl to do a oil and filter change.To me this should be on the bike stock from Honda.Too many story's of holes in oil filters and radiator overflow tanks to take a chance.But hey what ever floats your boat-Safe riding:icon_cool:

thunder217
07-06-2013, 09:18 PM
This is realy a great investment. Last week a cager in front of me kicked a piece of rubber at me and of course it hit the underside of the cowling and cracked it enough that I had to replace it. The belly pan protects all of the under of the bike. It is well worth the cost. Just imagine a chunk of rubber. :icon_doh:

Steve 0080
07-06-2013, 10:04 PM
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ74195?utm_source=PLAs&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CLfqnsaynLgCFY2Z4AodMQkAzw

I use one of these, and I do have to loosen the lower cowl to get it off...but the piece of mind is well worth it......it can take a major hit and still no dent!!!

MichaelG
07-07-2013, 09:14 AM
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ74195?utm_source=PLAs&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CLfqnsaynLgCFY2Z4AodMQkAzw

I use one of these, and I do have to loosen the lower cowl to get it off...but the piece of mind is well worth it......it can take a major hit and still no dent!!!

Oh, Steve...say it ain't so !!!!!:icon_rolleyes:

commuter1
10-09-2013, 12:05 AM
I was looking at accessories (no Really??) and I saw an ad for a belly pan for the F6B. It looked nice, but I'm trying to determine if it is really useful other than to satisfy my accessories addiction. The ad mentioned the water reservoir located down low and the possibility of kicking up rocks or debris and damaging the reservoir and losing coolant.

Has anyone actually heard of this happening?

It also mentioned better air flow for the engine.

So what do you think? Is this just bullS#**, or is there some valid reason to install a belly pan?

Yup, Just happened to me! $ 50. for coolant reservoir & 3 hrs. install @ $ 87.50 per!!! Ouch! Bought it, gonna install myself & buy belly pan w/savings!!! Get one now!

Steve 0080
10-09-2013, 04:41 AM
Just ordered one of these.... the others are .024, this one is .045 . twice as thick ,not including the raised "diamonds"
and of course ..... it is chrome !!!!!!

Kawi69
10-09-2013, 07:22 AM
Hey Steve, Where did you get that pan and what's the cost. :banana:

Big Dawg
10-09-2013, 08:45 AM
this might be a good reason to install a belly pan. This is a coolant bottle that came off one of my good friends Goldwing. He ran over this bolt in the road and it kicked up and speared his coolant bottle. I have a picture of a punctured oil filter somewhere but I can't find it. I bought a belly pan for my wing but I have never installed it. For some reason, I prefer not to run them, not sure why, but I just don't like them. To each his own.

jkelley
10-09-2013, 09:41 AM
I put one on mine after reading about oil filter and case damage. Darn good thing! I had something kick up from the road not too long after I put it on and when I did my first service I saw a major dent in the belly pan. Cheap insurance I think.

F6B-RICH
10-09-2013, 10:32 AM
this might be a good reason to install a belly pan. This is a coolant bottle that came off one of my good friends Goldwing. He ran over this bolt in the road and it kicked up and speared his coolant bottle. I have a picture of a punctured oil filter somewhere but I can't find it. I bought a belly pan for my wing but I have never installed it. For some reason, I prefer not to run them, not sure why, but I just don't like them. To each his own.

WOW thats some bolt.Most belly pans are thin sheetmetal so with a bolt/object that size it would probably go thru the belly pan and hit something and cause damage anyway :icon_biggrin:

Scotrod
10-09-2013, 12:20 PM
They aren't extremely expensive, and pretty easy to install.
Not going to protect you from a 'major projectile' but deflecting some debris might be all it takes to save your bacon.
I've got 'em on the way, just not here / installed yet,,,

JesseS
10-09-2013, 05:56 PM
Yup, I just bought this one the other day, shipping delayed 5-7 days for some reason.......

I have this one, I installed it for all the reasons listed above, and one not listed. I am a clean freak and cleaning the bottom of the engine after a long ride takes a while and several rags, now its just spray the rag with cleaner and wipe off the pan... finished.

Scotrod
10-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Great point Jesse! Need to get mine on before it gets grunged up 'down under'! :icon_biggrin:

Big Dawg
10-10-2013, 10:34 AM
WOW thats some bolt.Most belly pans are thin sheetmetal so with a bolt/object that size it would probably go thru the belly pan and hit something and cause damage anyway :icon_biggrin:

Very true, the belly pans aren't made from armor plate. I think most are made from 22 gauge aluminum. They will take a beating. The other down side is; Some riders claim that it makes the bike run hotter because it traps a lot more heat in the engine compartment. I have no knowledge of this, but I have heard folks complain about it.

Hornblower
10-10-2013, 04:29 PM

Yep, that was me earlier talking about how I didn't want to add a belly pan. Well, it looks like I changed my mind since I ordered one of these today. The two-screw-removable front panel makes the prospect of extra work in changing the oil more acceptable for me. Mainly though, I like the idea of protecting the plastic coolant tank and adding an extra layer of protection for the otherwise exposed belly.

Steve 0080
10-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Kawi69 ..... I am waiting for an eml address now.... I will post if/when I get it...

Deer Slayer
10-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Hornblower you just saw mine. tee hee.....

Hornblower
10-11-2013, 06:50 AM
Hornblower you just saw mine. tee hee.....

Many outside influences are draining my bank account and yes, you are one of them :icon_biggrin: When I first bought this F6B Goldwing, I had no idea there would be so many ways to spend money on it. It is fun though, isn't it? :biggthumpup:

Steve 0080
10-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Here is the EML address to the gentleman who makes the heavy duty belly pans.... macgyver0856@sbcglobal.net he charges for shipping and to me in Orlando the total cost was $56 ... this guy makes these by hand and there is a delay in shipping...right now he is working on a list of 65 ...so must be a good product..... I was not going to buy one, but after seeing all the pic's of damage and the water bottle " right " there...why not ?

CruiserCustomizing
10-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Sounds like a worthwhile investment. Nothing worse than a shot to the under-carriage. Except crashing in your own oil spill. Cheap insurance is the best insurance

Dfinkelsteinmd
10-19-2013, 01:41 AM
I just installed the aluminum pan and can already see an improvement in side wind handling. Since I live in NorCal a little extra heat is hardly noticed but our roads are full of cast off junk that can ruin tires, oil pans and the rest of your day. This was $60 well spent and easy to install.

Yeahoo Whoyah
10-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Since I live in NorCal a little extra heat is hardly noticed
Where is that part of NorCal? The Redwood coast? :icon_question:

Yeahoo Whoyah
10-20-2013, 05:29 PM
So today I clicked the "buy in now" button so I can be part of the black belly pan crowd. $57.04 delivered. :icon_cool:

CoCoKola
10-21-2013, 12:32 PM
I ordered a black aluminum version from wingstuff.. the one I received had obviously been used before, so i called and they shipped me a new one and return shipping.. but

a couple of things:

1) installing this was a lot harder than it should have been. The unit I purchased had TOO much length on the smaller front piece. I had to push it way past the natural bend that should line up with the front plastic. To get the second screw set, it took a timing mirror and two people with a LOT of force before I could get the screw holes to line up. I am NOT looking forward to changing the oil. I may get some tin-snips or find a way to cut it more to length. I am not happy with the manufacturing of this unit

2) OMG.. did it seriously cut-down on side-wind impact. I don't understand why these aren't part of the stock, they make a huge difference.

just my $0.02

ranger
10-27-2013, 12:15 AM
Just ordered mine from Cruiser Customizing, came out to $68.76 with standard shipping included, today's date: 10/27/2013, ships on 11/04/2013. Don't know why such a long delay between receiving the order and shipping, but there it is.

Steve 0080
11-20-2013, 01:49 PM
bump..........

pblair
11-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Is there a need, absolutely. Already have one partially crushed header and both exhaust shields are bent and buggered up. I wish I had put one on earlier but it is what it is.

We sell the very best in the world, the original belly pan from Tulsa Enterprises. 6061T aircraft quality aluminum. The strongest and lightest available. $54.96 (52.20 with 5% discount, click on home page Zombie) plus shipping. This pan also uses the dzus 1/4 turn nuts to release the nose of the pan. Easy and quick when changing oil.

MichaelG
11-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Is there a need, absolutely. Already have one partially crushed header and both exhaust shields are bent and buggered up. I wish I had put one on earlier but it is what it is.

We sell the very best in the world, the original belly pan from Tulsa Enterprises. 6061T aircraft quality aluminum. The strongest and lightest available. $54.96 (52.20 with 5% discount, click on home page Zombie) plus shipping. This pan also uses the dzus 1/4 turn nuts to release the nose of the pan. Easy and quick when changing oil.

Phillip, I will echo that the best belly pan I have ever used was the ones fron Tulsa Enterprises. I likes their fit a lot better than the one I currently have. I bought this one because I liked the idea of the louvers cut into it, as they do provide a little extra cooling of the underside of the engine...allowing heat to escape. And, this one does work fine, and it too has the 1/4 turn dzus fasteners. But...If I ever have to replace this belly pan, I will buy another Tulsa Enterprises one again. I have had their belly pan on each of my last 3 GL-1800's and on both of my GL-1500's, and they do survive the road debris the best.

Jabbasan
11-20-2013, 10:00 PM
I was trying to install my new belly pan today and was in the process of loosening the four acorn nuts on the lower engine cover. When I managed to shear two of the studs. Anyone have any idea how I fix these ?

dickiedeals
11-20-2013, 11:46 PM
I put one on mine to keep the plastic stuff from getting damaged.. Makes a nice sound when it drags the pavement which is more often than you would think.......Dickie

Steve 0080
11-21-2013, 12:22 AM
Jabbasan..... ooooopppppsssss !!!!! Drill and tap..... if any of the stud is exposed ...get a chisel and try to tap it back out of there..... if you don't have the taps...Its' Honda time.... I here a rumor you are not the first... ( not me )

MichaelG
11-21-2013, 12:27 AM
Makes a nice sound when it drags the pavement which is more often than you would think.......Dickie

Well, Dickie, you are finally right about "something". When your belly pan drags the pavement IS more often than I would think...because I do NOT drag my bike's belly pan on the pavement at all...ever. What are you doing down there...running over alligators ? :yikes::yikes:

Steve 0080
11-21-2013, 12:32 AM
I installed the one in the pic and although not seeing the other brands this one is outstanding....this one so I am told is much thicker than the others on the market... I installed one side and then with the use of a 5' 1x4 pry ed up the other side into place... I feel this pan will with stand being used as a jack plate....3/4 of an inch shows..... and of course it is CHROME !!!!! the guy will paint it black also....

Steve 0080
11-21-2013, 12:39 AM
I'm still missing this dragging thing..... I have to REALLY try to drag a peg.... my rear shock is 4 clicks from full low.... when I practice dragging the pegs in circles, it is very difficult to get the bike over that far...in the mountains, I had barley 1/4 inch of chicken strip and almost never dragged a under carriage part...

There was some talk when the board was new that the rear shock may not be working ... or at least till broken in....well 8500 miles later no difference ???????

CoCoKola
12-16-2013, 01:46 PM
i dragged once on a entrance to parking lot.

Big Dawg
12-16-2013, 03:42 PM
I was trying to install my new belly pan today and was in the process of loosening the four acorn nuts on the lower engine cover. When I managed to shear two of the studs. Anyone have any idea how I fix these ?

Oh No, if memory serves me correctly, those studs are spot welded to the headers

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-21-2013, 10:22 PM
I just grabbed one of these from a Site Sponsor -
If nothing else it will keep the under side clean. Should hit my door on the 26th.:041:

Good price right now..

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/belly-pan-black-anodized-honda-goldwing-gl1800-01-newer/part/BBP-52-817BK

Happy Holiday,

Jim

Big Jay
12-21-2013, 11:33 PM
If nothing else it will keep the under side clean. Should hit my door on the 26th.:041:

Good price right now..

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/belly-pan-black-anodized-honda-goldwing-gl1800-01-newer/part/BBP-52-817BK

Happy Holiday,

Jim
Just ordered the same one from the same place, it said mine would ship on the 31st so not sure when mine will show up, I'll have to check my email for sure.:shrug:

BillyDaFinn
12-22-2013, 05:04 AM

Good price right now..

Happy Holiday,

Jim

This is the one I bought also, it looks clean, and does the job, you'll be happy with it. :yes:

Wild Bill
02-15-2014, 11:12 PM
Well, Dickie, you are finally right about "something". When your belly pan drags the pavement IS more often than I would think...because I do NOT drag my bike's belly pan on the pavement at all...ever. What are you doing down there...running over alligators ? :yikes::yikes:

I have the show chrome black f6b pan...Shock is set at about 50%.Draging the pan happens whitout tring to ride hard. It hits on the outside rear corners. When looking at the mounting clearance it is maybe 1/4" from touching the overflow tamk so I'm thinking it is all the way up where it should be.

Deer Slayer
02-15-2014, 11:22 PM
I have the show chrome black f6b pan...Shock is set at about 50%.Draging the pan happens whitout tring to ride hard. It hits on the outside rear corners. When looking at the mounting clearance it is maybe 1/4" from touching the overflow tamk so I'm thinking it is all the way up where it should be.

:icon_ditto: I have done same thing. Most times with a dip in the curve. (other than me) One more thing the right side header pipe burns a brown spot on the pan!:shrug:

Deer Slayer
02-16-2014, 12:14 AM
Photo of burned belly pan. Zoom in and check it out.:yikes: 1782:yikes:

MichaelG
02-16-2014, 01:28 AM
Photo of burned belly pan. Zoom in and check it out.:yikes: :yikes:

I hear...that only happens on the Red bikes, when the rider is wearing a Red jacket, and a Red helmet.

Hmmm........:shock:

Deer Slayer
02-16-2014, 02:03 AM
I hear...that only happens on the Red bikes, when the rider is wearing a Red jacket, and a Red helmet.

Hmmm........:shock:

Yup, just the hot fast red ones. :poke: I hope you are recovering well. Looking forward to Florida next month.:cheers:

Cruiser
02-16-2014, 07:54 AM
A belly pan is the FIRST accessory I install on my new bikes. I have seen engines destroyed by rocks and debris that crack the crankcase, or break off the oil filter. These cannot be repaired and are NOT covered under warranty.

Phantom
02-16-2014, 08:36 AM
A belly pan is the FIRST accessory I install on my new bikes. I have seen engines destroyed by rocks and debris that crack the crankcase, or break off the oil filter. These cannot be repaired and are NOT covered under warranty.

:postpics:

JBnAZ
02-16-2014, 06:58 PM
Just ordered the black show chrome version. For me it's all about avoiding a ruined ride. I don't have tons of free time to ride so avoiding being stuck on the road is worth $60 and 20 minutes of my time.

Elroy
07-12-2014, 03:28 PM
So just went to put mine on and the front acorn nut on the right side turns and turns and never gets closer to coming off. I'm guessing either the threads on the nut or bolt are stripped. Any ideas?

Big Dawg
07-13-2014, 04:51 AM
the stud is tack welded to the exhaust headers. I'm sure that the weld has broken and the stud is spinning. It may be possible to get a grip on it from the back side and take the nut off.

Darkknight
07-13-2014, 07:34 AM
I just changed my oil and I removed the belly pan. The paint was worn, the front was slightly bent, I found a couple rocks inside, and I had some scrapes along the outside edges from leaning hard two up. I guess what I'm saying is I'm glad I installed this early on. Just the piece of mind that I have some protection down there is worth the price of admission. I have found myself on dirt roads or detours and that plastic reservoir or the oil filter getting damaged never entered my mind.:icon_biggrin:

Spanky
07-13-2014, 05:01 PM
I have one too, best 40 bucks...http://hondaf6b.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5296&d=1398046487

Fla_rider
07-13-2014, 05:35 PM
Freshly installed. Time 12 minutes.

6888 :moon:

Steve 0080
07-24-2014, 07:45 AM
Here is the EML address to the gentleman who makes the heavy duty belly pans.... macgyver0856@sbcglobal.net he charges for shipping and to me in Orlando the total cost was $56 ... this guy makes these by hand and there is a delay in shipping...right now he is working on a list of 65 ...so must be a good product..... I was not going to buy one, but after seeing all the pic's of damage and the water bottle " right " there...why not ?

I received a PM on this belly pan and here is a pic and the eml address to order one...they were on Wing Stuff....I'll look in a min and post if they are. As belly pans go..this is a nice one and very thick....I use it to lift the F6 off the ground with my lift...perfect. For those who do not care for the chrome...the maker will paint your black!!!

Steve 0080
07-24-2014, 07:48 AM
Here ya go.......

http://wingstuff.com/products/36093-macgyver-diamond-plated-belly-pan-for-gl1800-f6b?from_search=1

XKnight
07-31-2014, 05:34 PM
I installed the black anodized belly pan today. Mine definitely didn't just slide on like the instructions said. I had to use my trusty rubber mallet to get the slots to line up. Also had to remove the bolts all the way per the instructions so I could see the belly pan slots when they were in the correct position. My only concern now is that the 2 small screws that hold the front part on will come off while riding. Haven't heard any reports of that yet, but will add some blue loctite just in case.

Scotrod
07-31-2014, 06:36 PM
Most of the time, the complaints revolving around the 2 screws is that they are impossible to remove, not that they fall out.

I'm trying a different approach; http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3246-My-Redneck-coolant-tank-cover&highlight=redneck

rich
07-31-2014, 10:35 PM
I installed the black anodized belly pan today. Mine definitely didn't just slide on like the instructions said. I had to use my trusty rubber mallet to get the slots to line up. Also had to remove the bolts all the way per the instructions so I could see the belly pan slots when they were in the correct position. My only concern now is that the 2 small screws that hold the front part on will come off while riding. Haven't heard any reports of that yet, but will add some blue loctite just in case.

Mine did come partially off while riding, first good turn and was dragging. By the time I pulled over it was bent to hell. Good idea with the Loctite.

Rich

RcBtx1999
08-01-2014, 12:58 AM
I bought the stainless steel, teflon coated, vented one. I really like this one with the snap connectors (aircraft rated) to allow the removal of the front of the pan easily to change the oil. The vents allow airflow under the bike, and in South Texas, that is a plus.

:yes::yes::yes:

CoCoKola
07-28-2015, 10:28 AM
I boought the black belly pan about 1.5 years ago, and the bolts fell off after 3rd and 4th oil change. I suppose I should see this as a throw-away product, but it is in good shape other than the fact that the area needing protecting most is now exposed! time to get a different product. I purchased the BB52817BK from show chrome. are they out of business now?

okiedoc
07-28-2015, 06:57 PM
The instructions on my belly pan said to use thread lock on the the screws that attach the pan. That should keep them from rattling loose. As many times as I have scraped the pan, I wouldn't want to do without it.

CoCoKola
07-29-2015, 12:32 PM
The instructions on my belly pan said to use thread lock on the the screws that attach the pan. That should keep them from rattling loose. As many times as I have scraped the pan, I wouldn't want to do without it.

That isn't the problem. (My title was wrong BTW.) The larger sheet that attaches towards the back of the bike has two holes to insert the screws. The Bolts are welded to the aluminum sheets. After several tightening and losening the screw from the nut, the nut detaches from the aluminum sheet, rendering the forward piece unusable.

I don't know how to repair, so instead I am going to get the belly pan that has the aircraft fasteners.

Stone Laker
07-29-2015, 03:11 PM
Just buy 2 clip nuts and Home Depot and keep using the same belly pan.