PDA

View Full Version : Dirt between shield and fairing..... :(

haleyohdo
07-03-2013, 07:23 AM
Wondering if anyone else is having this issue... i was riding in Black Hills area couple of weeks ago.. great riding, but dusty and some road construction, small rocks, the normal summer riding... but at end of the ride, I was cleaning my shield (C Baileys 15" smoked) and I noticed some dirt, dust between the shield and fairing, way at the bottom, past the dash.... very visible and I could not get to it to clean without taking off the top of Fairing and removing windshield... very annoying.... anyone else see this issue? this is my first wing, so is that just the way it is? removing the shield often to clean?... but for this and the paint... love my f6b, best riding bike I have ever owned...:)

ps i too have called Honda Customer support and bitched about paint.... If I get no results, (not to name drop) but I know Donnie Smith, good friends of my brother in law, and might have him custom paint my f6b when I cannot stand it anymore......

Dean (haleyohdo)

MichaelG
07-03-2013, 08:14 AM
Dean, good morning. This is the reason why Tulsa windshields come with a thick rubber gasket that is placed onto the bike...before installing the new windshield. The thick rubber gasket/seal fills in the gap that was produced when you removed the old windshield, and installed the new Cee Bailey windshield.

Contact Allen at All American Products...

http://www.allamericanprod.com/windshields.html

and tell him you would like to buy one of the thick rubber gaskets/seals that he uses with his windshields.

It will work...fill in that gap between your fairing and the new windshield...and not allow dirt/dust to get in that area.

Miles

av8rdave
07-03-2013, 08:30 AM
The only related issue I've noticed is that after riding in the rain, there is a small amount of water that traps in the same place you describe. I might try the gasket Miles mentioned. I also thought that a very thin bead of clear caulking or weatherstrip could work as well.

So far, I've only seen a very small amount in a very small area. There's just enough that you can barely change the shape of the wet area by pressing on the base of the windshield. I hadn't given it much thought, but now that you mention it, I assume dirt/grime could collect there as well.

jlig
07-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Had the same problem (dust & dirt) with a Cee Baileys shield. Is it not noticeable with stock shield because its so dark or do the aftermarket shields not seal as well to the dash??

haleyohdo
07-04-2013, 08:06 AM
A gasket or a better gasket is a good idea and I will look into that for sure... thanks guys for the reply's

have a great safe 4th of July, hope you have time to get out and ride...

Dean

Wingman
07-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Same thing here with my 13” Cee Bailey; It does not fit as well as OEM. On mine the grit has scuffed and scratched both windshield and plastic piece in the specified area. I have accepted it and moved on. :icon_frown: