PDA

View Full Version : Winter "tinkering"

GiddyupF6B
01-19-2015, 11:48 AM
I've found over the years with my several bikes that for me motorcycling is infectious, I always have to somehow be connected to my bike. In the Winter months when I can't ride (Steve you and the rest of the "Florida crew" can just keep quite) I am always working on something whether it be routine maintenance or obsessive "modding".

I just started my winter modding and wanted to know what the rest of you have planned for your bike during the down time???

Here's what I just started........there's a lot more to taking this bike apart then any I have ever owned in the past, it's a learning curve for certain.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/bigdaddylachance/IMAG0386_BURST002_zpstxvneso8.jpg

DaWadd
01-19-2015, 12:09 PM
Coming from the long cold Canadian winters I should get off my ass and insulate and heat the garage so I could "tinker".

er.medic
01-19-2015, 12:14 PM
That gives me chest pain just looking at it :icon_frown:

ReserveBum
01-19-2015, 12:16 PM
Coming from the long cold Canadian winters I should get off my ass and insulate and heat the garage so I could "tinker".

No joke
I went out yesterday (shelter w/ no heat) to start my winter mods but thought it was too cold to mess with the tupperware and some of my mods have two sided tape and that aint working either so....this years upgrades are waiting for a liitle bit of warmth

bigbird
01-19-2015, 01:25 PM
My garage is insulated, attached, but not heated. The temp in there is right around the freezing mark, which is OK to work on.

So far, I have added a fork brace, and some chrome bits.
On my to do list over the next 60 days are:

an additional rear brake light (Whelen TIR3) to replace the rear reflector
brake light modulator
LED turn and brake light kit
Muth LED mirrors
Show Chrome luggage rack
Rivco Aero pegs
chrome sidestand
Healtech digital gear readout
Healtech speedo healer
voltmeter
LED illuminator for my fog light switch

opas ride
01-19-2015, 01:27 PM
No joke
I went out yesterday (shelter w/ no heat) to start my winter mods but thought it was too cold to mess with the tupperware and some of my mods have two sided tape and that aint working either so....this years upgrades are waiting for a liitle bit of warmth

I agree about the cold and the garage..I have been going to insulate my garage door panels since a friend of mine had new doors put on his garage a couple years ago..His doors, he has three, have fiberglass 2" thick panels inside and it really makes a difference with the inside temp...That coupled with a propane heater really makes it comfortable enough to work inside for a while...OH, Well, Spring is coming soon, I hope!!!

Limoles
01-19-2015, 01:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_mCvYXuyqY

bigbird
01-19-2015, 01:46 PM
To me winter riding is using a motorcycle in winter conditions, as in riding on snow and ice.

I have seen Can-Ams and Urals driven in the winter, or dirt bikes with studded tires.

I wouldn't call that video winter riding. I'd call it cool weather riding.

GiddyupF6B
01-19-2015, 01:56 PM
As much as I love my garage and spend a good bit of time there it is not yet insulated or have hvac....I'm hoping to tackle that next year. I just bundle up....it's a labor of love....

Limoles
01-19-2015, 01:57 PM
It's RIDING IN THE WINTER

shooter
01-19-2015, 03:01 PM
If Steve says anything about the Florida weather I'm gonna scratch his chrome. After reading the other posts I'm almost ashamed to say I own an auto service shop that is 50 ft from my house. I have a waste oil furnace so heat is not an issue. I splurged last year and bought myself a nice bike lift. So far this winter I have installed an RC Components Assault chrome front wheel with a Metz 888 and a stock chrome rear wheel with a Michelin Primacy Alpin. My Vance and Hines pipes arrived Friday so I will try to install those this week. Heck I even got to ride Saturday and Sunday. Who needs Florida. Take that Steve !!

tinknocker
01-19-2015, 05:04 PM
I have no heat in my garage nor room with my wife's bike and the return of an adult child so to stay connected I like to go out once a week and sit on mine naked. I don't even need to start it I just sit there till I get cold then get dressed and go inside.

53driver
01-19-2015, 05:32 PM
Silly Video

Okay -it's riding when it's chilly. Yes, it is technically the Winter Season.
However, I shut it off after he said he was turning his bike "like it was a Gold Wing."
Obviously never ridden one. Silly man.

opas ride
01-19-2015, 05:48 PM
I have no heat in my garage nor room with my wife's bike and the return of an adult child so to stay connected I like to go out once a week and sit on mine naked. I don't even need to start it I just sit there till I get cold then get dressed and go inside.

We need pictures of this!!!!

53driver
01-19-2015, 07:31 PM

We need pictures of this!!!!

NO! We do not. Period. End of discussion. FINEX. EndEx. Done. Toast. Got it?!?!??

Limoles
01-19-2015, 07:33 PM
Ha , ha , ha , ha , ha , ha , ha ....

tinknocker
01-19-2015, 08:19 PM
Really I'm thinking this10711 or this10713...probably both about the same so......:clap2:

Steve 0080
01-19-2015, 09:17 PM
Really I'm thinking this10711 or this10713...probably both about the same so......:clap2:

:yikes: kinda scary....

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-19-2015, 09:43 PM
I hate winter mods because I usually mess with stuff too much because I can't ride or lack for enough to do. Then what should have been a simple easy project becomes - fix what I fouled up.
Case in point; simple paint job to do the passenger footboards..Nearly a full can of paint later, over 1.5 days because I couldn't leave it alone to dry longer...
I guess it's fun and something to do.
J

vstar09
01-19-2015, 10:37 PM
Heated insulated garage, insulated garage door, Enerco radiant heater, with just the piolet lite on my garage never falls below 40....If you have natural gas this is the way to go....I can heat mine up to 65 in a hour or so....use it alot and my gas bill does not go up more then $20.00 a month...!

sshake1905
01-19-2015, 10:42 PM
Here in most parts of Idaho winter is boring and cold....First snow of 6 inches came about Nov 20... followed by temps between 32 and 0 F....can count days on one hand since then that temp has reached 40 F:no:

Too cold to go to garage to put on new stuff, too cold to mount up anything with double sided tape...:no:.. just have to sit and wait for at least another month....rather depressing...:icon_frown:

Will get on a plane a week from tomorrow to visit the big island of Hawaii for two weeks...:clap2:..can't happen soon enough for me...

BuzzzPhotos
01-19-2015, 11:42 PM
Yep, we've had a cold month in North Texas but we've had 2 nice days in a row & one more coming tomorrow. Had a beautiful short ride yesterday & will do it again tomorrow. Sorry guys but I gotta get it while I can. 'gw-smiley''gw-smiley' Glad I don't have to sit on mine naked. :nono:

shooter
01-20-2015, 08:03 AM
If I was gonna try that naked thing I would have to get one of those sheepskin seat covers for the boys. Just sayin.

Navvet
01-20-2015, 09:22 AM
45 this morning going to 60 so I had to ride to work today. I am building my workshop now and have about 20% of the insulation in.

The only one allowed to sit naked on my bikes is my wife (NO opas, I will not post pictures) .....

opas ride
01-20-2015, 11:25 AM
Man your lucky with the weather...It is 26 degrees here and snowing this morning....If it were 45 + degrees here, I would sit on my bike naked, and at 75 years old it would not be a pretty site!!!....Ride safe my friend....

F6B1911
01-20-2015, 06:53 PM
Man your lucky with the weather...It is 26 degrees here and snowing this morning....If it were 45 + degrees here, I would sit on my bike naked, and at 75 years old it would not be a pretty site!!!....Ride safe my friend....

.. all the guys riding in good weather while we freeze up here in Michigan need to remember, our bikes will last much longer, as we hibernate them for 5 months each winter!!!!

fxdl2051
01-21-2015, 01:20 AM
Having lived in Arizona, I noticed it just makes people too nervous when you wear a side arm into a 7-11.

Navvet
01-21-2015, 09:54 AM
Something like this might help .....

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800_ez_carry_concealed_pouch/123/229539

:lolup:shot his foot

Pap
01-21-2015, 10:08 PM

Love it!
Good theft deterrent when the holster is empty......

tinknocker
01-21-2015, 10:26 PM
Something like this might help .....

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800_ez_carry_concealed_pouch/123/229539

:lolup:shot his foot seen these too..just not digging having something rubbing on the faster black paint...I normally carry around 4-5 o'clock but occasionally my wife leaves her bike parked and rides pylon...not a real comfortable carry at that point...