PDA

View Full Version : My Last Windshield??

shooter
01-19-2015, 03:37 PM
Guys I think most of us will agree that the windscreen is the most problem area of the B. Getting the right shield with the right height is challenging at best. I've heard some guys talk about being on their 3rd , 4th , and even 5th shield. I'm ready to try again. So far I've tried the stock shield and a Cee Baileys 11 inch Grey tint. I like the CB but its still a little short. I don't mind the air , I wear a FF helmet. Its the bugs in the spring. I need to keep more bugs off the helmet shield. I like some air at the top of the helmet in the summer. I thinking about a CB 13 inch with a vent. I'm 6'1" and 290. Let's hear what you guys have and if it does the job. Tell us your size also that way we can compare performance as it relates to our size. We do a good job on this thread might save someone some money in the future. Like me. Thanks for your input.

BBB
01-19-2015, 03:56 PM
Im 5'7", 29-30" inseam.
Mustang seat.

Stock shield lasted just the ride back home from the dealer. (35miles)

I didn't want to wait for my clearview to get here,
I "duct taped" the old harley shield I had in my garage.

A member here in my area let me use his cut-down-stock full wing shield for a week, which I liked the protection it gave me.

I've been happy with the Clearview (Medium height) w/ vent. My vent is always open one click which seems to smooth out the airflow a little bit.
I still get some wind on my head (a little bit of buffeting but not too bad: I don't wear a helmet unless required by law). I think the clearview's line matches that of F6 very well.

I've also tried the windbender(HP) but didn't like it much (the mounting rails, to be more specific)
So I had it for one day and put it up for sale.

I now also have a full wing shield which I found on craigslist locally, cheap. Although I like the protection it gives me, I just cannot stand looking though the shield.

So for now, the Clearview shield is on my bike. It's a great sheld w/ great looks, in my opinion.

I still wann try the madstad, though.

I recently put the Helibars on my bike and loving the fact that they are "adjustable". Madstad is also "adjustable", so I think I'm gona like it.

F4 Customs
01-19-2015, 05:01 PM
Guys I suggest you look at the F4 Customs windshields. We have the only one on the market that won't scratch with Steel Wool, sheds rain, and is optically perfect. For the best ride and reduced head buffeting we suggest that the windshield be no lower than your nose and we also suggest you look through the shield. Give us a call and let us help you decide which size is best for you. We offer 4 different heights in clear or tint and with and without vents.
Don Frank
President
F4 Customs
330-968-4644

Limoles
01-19-2015, 06:30 PM
I checked the prices , which are asking for "winter sale"...

https://www.f4customs.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_34

taxfree4
01-19-2015, 08:18 PM
I have used the BaggerShield Adjustable on mine since I bought it and I'm very happy with it. It adjusts from 19" down to 11". I adjust it down when I'm on a back road with reduced speed limit when I want a little more wind in my face. When I want to hop on the parkway I just flip it up.

http://www.baggershield.com/baggershield-honda-f6b-11-to-19-adjustable-p-83.html?zenid=f6a2539839b800f8fa952caa0346caf1

XKnight
01-20-2015, 03:36 PM
V-Stream for me after trying 4 different shields. I have found that looking through a shield with a vent prevents wind buffeting best for me.

Limoles
01-20-2015, 04:33 PM
In the first day of possession of my B , especially after riding 8 miles from the dealer ( with hecto-liters of sucked from the eyes sockets tears splashing my shoulders ) , I went to my beloved and proven for decades Cee Bailey (13"). Since then , happy like never before . My first trip to Canada amazed me not only because of all performance of this machine , but convinced , that my choice of wind protection was right. No need to look for another shield .

Rcx
01-20-2015, 11:47 PM
Love my F4 customs+4 Sheild-I'm 6' with 32 in inseam and stock seat -smooth and can hear radio-and yes I have to look through it but not a issue as it's clear and no distortion-and no bugs !

Bruce B
01-21-2015, 02:18 AM
I'm totally happy with my Madstad. I have the 2nd one to be installed on the B. Lot's of other B owners have them, many after trying a lot of other shields. The Madstad seems to end the search. The best wind protection out there and it still allows you to look over the shield. IMHO, a tall shield ruins the look of the B Some folks don't care for the look of the 'stad. I like it and find that it has an aggressive look and a functional beauty. Check out the Forum and see what the others have to say about it. That being said, there are other quality products out there and there's something for every taste.

SoCal Rich
01-21-2015, 03:32 AM
I'm totally happy with my Madstad. I have the 2nd one to be installed on the B. Lot's of other B owners have them, many after trying a lot of other shields. The Madstad seems to end the search. The best wind protection out there and it still allows you to look over the shield. IMHO, a tall shield ruins the look of the B Some folks don't care for the look of the 'stad. I like it and find that it has an aggressive look and a functional beauty. Check out the Forum and see what the others have to say about it. That being said, there are other quality products out there and there's something for every taste.

Madstad ended the search for me - my 4th shield.

opas ride
01-21-2015, 10:51 AM
Baggershield works great for me and I have absolutely no issues with wind noise or turbulence or helmet buffeting...I am 5'9" and have it set to the tallest position and do not intend to try anything else...There are many options out there but I am fine with mine....Good Luck

F4 Customs
01-28-2015, 04:51 AM
Hey folks if you want an F6B windshield from F4 Customs we are offering 10% for this forum only from now till Feb. 7th. You must call in for this promotion and ask for Don or Kim. Tell them you want the F6B Forum promotion.
330-968-4644

Doug44
01-28-2015, 07:18 AM
Guys I think most of us will agree that the windscreen is the most problem area of the B. Getting the right shield with the right height is challenging at best. I've heard some guys talk about being on their 3rd , 4th , and even 5th shield. I'm ready to try again. So far I've tried the stock shield and a Cee Baileys 11 inch Grey tint. I like the CB but its still a little short. I don't mind the air , I wear a FF helmet. Its the bugs in the spring. I need to keep more bugs off the helmet shield. I like some air at the top of the helmet in the summer. I thinking about a CB 13 inch with a vent. I'm 6'1" and 290. Let's hear what you guys have and if it does the job. Tell us your size also that way we can compare performance as it relates to our size. We do a good job on this thread might save someone some money in the future. Like me. Thanks for your input.

I just received a 13" CB with a vent yesterday but it is too cold to install it. I did take it out of the box and hold it in place and it doesn't look all that high. I am only 5' 7" and I can't imagine this shield being tall enough for you. This height was what CB advised me I needed sitting on the bike measuring the way they described. I do sit high in the saddle for a short guy but again I can't imagine the 13" shield doing what you need. Once installed I will post my findings.

shooter
01-28-2015, 07:47 AM
Doug I have an 11 inch CB now and its 90% perfect. The problem is the bugs. I still get them on the upper part of the helmet and visor. When the bugs aren't bad it's perfect.

Jimmytee
01-28-2015, 08:13 AM
I'm 5' 8" tall and the Bagger Shield works for me. If it's above 50-60 degrees, I ride with the clear portion either off or flipped down. Actually during the summer it stays off most of the time. I think it's just a personal preference to what you consider as enough or too much wind. For me, I prefer the bike with just the lower tinted part both for aesthetics and for seeing over the shield. I prefer an unobstructed view. During colder weather riding, I do appreciate the added protection I get from adding the taller clear section.

Fla_rider
01-28-2015, 08:36 AM
My first change out was the BS. It was about 80% fit, still had to much wind hit my modular helmet about 70 mph. At the last rally I won- scratch that my wife won a Clearview shield. After measuring my BS and checking height I ordered there tallest smoked screen with vent. I have mentioned this before on other threads while total height of the individuals has something to do with it, more importantly is the sitting height. I may be a short shit, but I sit tall in a saddle (5'7"). The Clearview has changed the comfort to almost 100%. While its height isn't greater than a BS with extension the flare of the lip takes the wind just around my forehead. I also believe the Clearview is wider, between the Clearview and my Baker shields my hands don't get much wind in the winter.Here is a pic of the large Clearview in clear. This posting maybe too late!

hiflyer
01-28-2015, 08:37 AM
I just received a 13" CB with a vent yesterday but it is too cold to install it. I did take it out of the box and hold it in place and it doesn't look all that high. I am only 5' 7" and I can't imagine this shield being tall enough for you. This height was what CB advised me I needed sitting on the bike measuring the way they described. I do sit high in the saddle for a short guy but again I can't imagine the 13" shield doing what you need. Once installed I will post my findings.

I think you will be surprised, @ 5'11" the 15" CB worked well for me when I was using it.

Doug44
01-28-2015, 12:57 PM
Doug I have an 11 inch CB now and its 90% perfect. The problem is the bugs. I still get them on the upper part of the helmet and visor. When the bugs aren't bad it's perfect.

OK now Shooter, that didn't take long I installed the 13" CB/with vent working just above freezing in my detached garage burr. Even after stuffing rags in that pit below the mirrors I managed to drop one washer ! But it must be my day when I looked down on the floor it was sticking out of my fairing where the radiator is. It was even tipped outwards so I just grabbed it with my fingers. Again it must be my day I might go buy my first lottery ticket ! :clap2:

OK now back to the ride report. Again I am 5' 7" but with 26-27 inch inseam, I am tall from the waist up. It is perfect I think but I am pretty sure even the 15" would work and I could see over the windshield. For winter I think the 15" might be better but the 13" will be perfect for 90%-95% of my riding. I am riding to Daytona for Bikeweek the 1st of March from Central IL where as the 15 would be my choice, just sayin in a situation like this. My bike has the orignal seat and when I sat on a 2015 GL1800 with its windshield down as far as it would go I could still see over that windshield so I am thinking the 15" on the f6b is about equal to it. I would say our bikes sets about 2" lower in the saddle when measuring the windshield height I thought maybe this info might help as someone in doubt could sit on a GL. For what it's worth I can now hear the radio fine @ interstate speeds with my face shield up. Keep in mind this information is coming from a guy who rides a lot of sport touring or adventure type bikes so I am not use to sitting behind a barn door for a shield. YMMV buyer beware I guess this is why some folks have several windshields in their stable, but thanks to you Shooter and folks here I am sure I have dogged that bullet.

JBnAZ
01-29-2015, 11:34 PM
Shooter - based on your requirements, which is to deflect bugs yet not have a huge block of all air in front of you - I suggest the Madstad. I say this due to the design and adjustability.

When bugs are less prevelant you can lower it for more airflow. When it's buggier raise it more. You can see over it and it creates an air differential which pushes air up and over your head while not blocking the open feeling. It leaves you with an open air feeling without the buffeting, noise or tons of bugs hitting you. I do still get hit with the occasional bug - but I value the visibility and open feeling over being totally protected by a large windscreen.

I did tons of reading and research before buying a Madstad and it has met or exceeded all my expectations. I had a klock werks on my street glide and that shied did a similar thing but not as well.

Good luck

Kfad
02-05-2015, 09:17 PM

Klock Werks for me, I'm 6'3 and it works perfect for me. It has a slight curve at the top and kills almost all bugs in that zone, I can see over it and still enjoy a full day of riding. Worth a look... Met the Klock Werks folks in Sturgis last year and let them know how happy I was with the shield after the 1400 mile trip over.

shooter
02-07-2015, 12:36 PM
Guys I appreciate all the research and money you have spent trying to help me. Ha! I am still on the fence about what to do. The 11 inch CB isn't bad. I am thinking about the Klockwerks or the 13 inch CB with vent. I just don't like the looks of the Madstad. Seriously thanks for your time and opinion. I value both.

hiflyer
02-07-2015, 03:15 PM
Guys I appreciate all the research and money you have spent trying to help me. Ha! I am still on the fence about what to do. The 11 inch CB isn't bad. I am thinking about the Klockwerks or the 13 inch CB with vent. I just don't like the looks of the Madstad. Seriously thanks for your time and opinion. I value both.

You won't gain a thing other than looks with the KW, I tried one, didn't last the week end. Looks good, but a very irritating buffet for me. Take a look at the Windbender, same principle as the Madstad, and most think it looks better. Good luck!

bobbyf6b
02-07-2015, 09:41 PM
I may have a Windbender for sale soon.

hiflyer
02-07-2015, 09:53 PM
I may have a Windbender for sale soon.

What are you looking to replace it with?

bobbyf6b
02-07-2015, 10:04 PM
Wait for it...

I just put a KW shield on. :icon_mrgreen: So far I really like it but haven't taken it on the interstate yet. We'll see. I've always wanted to try one so now I have the chance. I did ride another F6B with one and liked it though.

hiflyer
02-07-2015, 10:14 PM
Wait for it...

I just put a KW shield on. :icon_mrgreen: So far I really like it but haven't taken it on the interstate yet. We'll see. I've always wanted to try one so now I have the chance. I did ride another F6B with one and liked it though.

Everyone is different, hope it works for ya. I am done looking for seats, windhields etc. I just want to ride it. The only thing I'm waiting to do is install the new rectangular driving lights Rick will be shipping in March. Content now with everything. DON"T sell the windbender until the week-end is over!!!:biggthumpup:

bobbyf6b
02-07-2015, 10:20 PM
I won't be selling it too soon. I need to use the KW for a week or two and get the wife on the bike to see what she thinks about wind buffeting. I will report my findings.

DaWadd
02-08-2015, 09:08 AM
Yes I would like to hear your review of the KW. I love the look but think it may be too short for me.

bobbyf6b
02-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Yes I would like to hear your review of the KW. I love the look but think it may be too short for me.

First impressions are good. The height of the Windbender that I like the most is about 14.5" measuring from the base of the LCD dash panel. That shield sits out further from the riding position. It's wide and with the split design the wind hits me in the forehead. The KW measures about 13.5-13.75" (using the same focal point on my garage wall from the seated position) but comes back a lot closer to the rider and has a bigger flip at the top. I noticed at slow speed that the wind hits me at about the same spot. The only downside I anticipate is that since the KW is much narrower, there might be more wind on the ears and possibly the passenger. Maybe not though since it has such a big flip. We'll see.

Switchmonkey
08-15-2016, 08:02 PM
A year later and no follow up to the KW assessment?

Audiochris90
08-16-2016, 08:57 AM
I have a project going. I bought a Klockwerks 16 with vent for Goldwing. Went to partzilla and got most of the hardware that snaps into the shields mounts so it can slide as the wings is adjustable, the b is not. I didnt get the dashboard lever. I'm thinking with the right tension on the bolts i can mussle it up and down. Even if that doesn't work, the Goldwing model has the vent. Klockwerks doesnt offer that for the b model. I spent all day sunday on the high beam leds, showchromes led fogs and the ultimate king install. Was a busy day but got er done. The Klockwerks is next on the list. Will report results.

http://URL=http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/Chris_Bruner/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpst4stmn91.jpeg.html]http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah85/Chris_Bruner/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpst4stmn91.jpeg[/URL]

ADV67
08-16-2016, 11:32 AM
I mounted the 14" Klock Werks screen a week ago. I am 6,2". The wind hits me right in the face when riding helmet open.
So I drilled 3 new mounting holes a good inch lower below the existing mounting holes. Now the KW sits about an inch higher. The wind now hits my upper helmet part. The KW looks very cool on the F6B but when riding the interstate the buffeting gets annoying and after a few hours my head felt like a watermelon. I like the fact that I can easily look over the KW and see the road close ahead of me, useful when riding narrow twisties and steeper uphill roads. I hate to look thru a windscreen. The KW allows me to ride visor up up to around 50mph. I had almost no bugs hit me in the face on my 1200mi weekend trip, 90% of the bugs get deflected by the steep curve of top of the screen. Just a few heavy buggers came thru. :icon_cool:
I will take Biglry's advice and mount a MRA X-creen on top of the KW. That way I can keep the advantages of the KW and flip up the MRA for the faster interstate/hwy riding portions.
Next weekend ride to the french riviera is planned so I will report back how the MRA add-on performs.

http://up.picr.de/26525149ex.jpg

http://up.picr.de/26525151qf.jpg

Audiochris90
08-16-2016, 12:39 PM
I mounted the 14" Klock Werks screen a week ago. I am 6,2". The wind hits me right in the face when riding helmet open.
So I drilled 3 new mounting holes a good inch lower below the existing mounting holes. Now the KW sits about an inch higher. The wind now hits my upper helmet part. The KW looks very cool on the F6B but when riding the interstate the buffeting gets annoying and after a few hours my head felt like a watermelon. I like the fact that I can easily look over the KW and see the road close ahead of me, useful when riding narrow twisties and steeper uphill roads. I hate to look thru a windscreen. The KW allows me to ride visor up up to around 50mph. I had almost no bugs hit me in the face on my 1200mi weekend trip, 90% of the bugs get deflected by the steep curve of top of the screen. Just a few heavy buggers came thru. :icon_cool:
I will take Biglry's advice and mount a MRA X-creen on top of the KW. That way I can keep the advantages of the KW and flip up the MRA for the faster interstate/hwy riding portions.
Next weekend ride to the french riviera is planned so I will report back how the MRA add-on performs.

http://up.picr.de/26525149ex.jpg

http://up.picr.de/26525151qf.jpg

Hey how about a bottle of that fine alsace wine?

seadog
08-16-2016, 07:36 PM
I have used the BaggerShield Adjustable on mine since I bought it and I'm very happy with it. It adjusts from 19" down to 11". I adjust it down when I'm on a back road with reduced speed limit when I want a little more wind in my face. When I want to hop on the parkway I just flip it up.

http://www.baggershield.com/baggershield-honda-f6b-11-to-19-adjustable-p-83.html?zenid=f6a2539839b800f8fa952caa0346caf1

The 11 to 19 inch Bagger Shield:yes::yes::yes:

stratochile
08-25-2016, 06:49 AM
Hello all....I've been us a Long Ride Shields 12" all summer and works very well....high quality...perfect fit....many options and great price. I got the tallest dark tint they offer but sometimes i wish I would have gotten one inch taller..(occasional buffeting)

BamBam
08-25-2016, 11:07 AM
Hopefully this will help anyone trying to figure out what size to get:

I stand 5'11", have a 37" sitting height and a 32" inseam.

Went with a dark tented Small (14-14.75") Sport Tour (wider) width and the Recurve, mounted as high as it will go. This allows me to still see over the top of the shield.

So at 68 mph running with the wind at my back or sides I have NO wind noise and can listen to the radio at a volume of 16 (speed sensing set to high) and the slip stream hits me about 1" below the top of my helmet. Running into the wind I have occasional wind noise, but not enough to bother me.

My helmet is a Shark Evoline modular. Turns out 2 years later my helmet is NOT the most quiet out there, but as I live and ride in Texas, I really appreciate the ability to instantly go from full face to open face with the push of a button.

The Clearview Medium as a height of 15-15.75" It would definitely stop the wind noise when running into the wind, but the top od the screen would be close to my vision line.

Hope this helps.