PDA

View Full Version : Do you have motorcycle roadside assistance?

zeus661
01-24-2015, 05:35 PM
Just wondering if anyone has roadside assistance for your bike and if so what do you have and what is the cost?

53driver
01-24-2015, 05:42 PM
For the '95 Harley - yes.
For the '14 F6B - no.

choptop
01-24-2015, 05:55 PM
Have have been considering it, not because I fear a breakdown but rather other calamities that may be waiting for us on the road.

sshake1905
01-24-2015, 06:20 PM
Hey choptop.....I have roadside assistance with Good Sam for every vehicle I own...and I have used it more than once....there is no company with better coverage, IMO....and I have researched it....

They charge $ 115.00 a year and it covers any vehicle with my name on the registration....3 cars, 2 motorcycles, and my motor home for same price...

A toll-free call sends help to any vehicle 24/7...365 days a year....unlimited distance towing, flat tire changes, battery jump starts, mechanic dispatch, fuel/fluid delivery and lost/lock key service

I had a flat tire on my motor homes 2 years back and called toll free number.....tire repair guy was there from nearest town in 25 minutes, used my spare, changed flat and I was on my way in an hour or so....no charge whatsoever....

Last year I had a flat tire on the rear of my VTX1300 in eastern Oregon desert, 100 miles round trip from nearest bike dealer, call toll free number...sent a truck to load up my bike, haul me to nearest bike shop....no charge.....just my cost for new tire and labor....

It has paid for itself every year I've had it......info @Good Sam @ 1-800-842-5351

choptop
01-24-2015, 06:58 PM
Hey choptop.....I have roadside assistance with Good Sam for every vehicle I own...and I have used it more than once....there is no company with better coverage, IMO....and I have researched it....

They charge $ 115.00 a year and it covers any vehicle with my name on the registration....3 cars, 2 motorcycles, and my motor home for same price...

A toll-free call sends help to any vehicle 24/7...365 days a year....unlimited distance towing, flat tire changes, battery jump starts, mechanic dispatch, fuel/fluid delivery and lost/lock key service

I had a flat tire on my motor homes 2 years back and called toll free number.....tire repair guy was there from nearest town in 25 minutes, used my spare, changed flat and I was on my way in an hour or so....no charge whatsoever....

Last year I had a flat tire on the rear of my VTX1300 in eastern Oregon desert, 100 miles round trip from nearest bike dealer, call toll free number...sent a truck to load up my bike, haul me to nearest bike shop....no charge.....just my cost for new tire and labor....

It has paid for itself every year I've had it......info @Good Sam @ 1-800-842-5351

Thank you, I will check them out.

six2go
01-24-2015, 07:03 PM
I have it through the AMA of which I am a member. It covers any motorcycle, car, truck, etc that I or any member of my family living under my roof may be driving. Best part is............it's FREE with my membership. The towing distance is limited to 35 miles but it's better than nothing for the price. I had to use it once with my V-Strom and was pleased with the truck they sent, and the driver.

opas ride
01-24-2015, 07:17 PM
I had coverage with the AMA for a while and then the Honda Riders Club and never used it on my previous bikes...Have a rider on my State Farm policy that covers my F6B..., which I hope I never have to use....

bigbird
01-24-2015, 08:12 PM
I have CAA (Canadian Automobile Association) Plus coverage, which covers any vehicles I drive including motorcycles. I don't have to own the vehicle, only be driving it. It includes 160 km of towing or transporting, gasoline provision, extrication, lock service, etc.. It's reasonable insurance for roadside assistance for $110/year.

ReserveBum
01-24-2015, 08:27 PM
+1 on the AMA...decent coverage, low price (compared to AAA), plus I am giving my $ to an organization , I believe, stands up for my 2 wheel rights

er.medic
01-24-2015, 08:41 PM
I have mine through the GWRRA (Goldwing Road Riders Assoc.). Thankfully, I have never had to use it.

hiflyer
01-24-2015, 08:42 PM
I carry two credit cards. One of them provides roadside assistance for free.

shooter
01-24-2015, 08:52 PM
I have it through my Allstate Ins. Its only am extra $20 per bike per year.

Ixol Phaane
01-24-2015, 11:12 PM
Roadside assistance - Yes. (Not worried about mechanical break down... more worried about tire damage or collision.)
$10/year
Progressive.

Navvet
01-25-2015, 08:39 AM
+1 on AMA. Covers everything I have with wheels. :icon_wink:

Texas TC
01-25-2015, 08:15 PM
I have Coach.net. Like Good Sam, it covers everything I drive. Cost is comperable too. They will tow my Class A motor home and provide technical and breakdown assistance for the coach. The roadside assistance/towing for everything else I drive is just and added benefit.

flyboy
01-25-2015, 09:02 PM
+1 on the AMA...decent coverage, low price (compared to AAA), plus I am giving my $ to an organization , I believe, stands up for my 2 wheel rights

+2 on the AMA

Steve 0080
01-25-2015, 09:36 PM
I carry two credit cards. One of them provides roadside assistance for free.

Better check that ... you may find they will send you one and charge your card !!!

Steve 0080
01-25-2015, 09:37 PM
I have it as a add on for all my vehicles thru State Farm...

Miwhite
01-26-2015, 03:04 PM
I have CAA (Canadian Automobile Association) Plus coverage, which covers any vehicles I drive including motorcycles. I don't have to own the vehicle, only be driving it. It includes 160 km of towing or transporting, gasoline provision, extrication, lock service, etc.. It's reasonable insurance for roadside assistance for $110/year.

+1.

TitansFan
01-27-2015, 06:23 PM
Both bikes are insured through Progressive, and roadside is part of my coverage with them. I don't remember how much it cost, but it was very little ($10/ year sounds right). Used it once (with the Shadow) in 10 years, but it is worth the peace of mind to me.

imscots
01-15-2016, 05:44 PM
I have Markel Insurance on my Bike. Along with the policy they include 24hr roadside assistance. you are allowed 6 per year and if you are away from home and bike is in for repairs, you can get $100 a day for three days. I had to use the service on my last bike (Honda VTX 1300s) and they were there very quickly and picked up bike and took me home as it was late (about 12 miles) then next morning picked up me and bike from my home and took me to Honda dealer for repair (about 18 miles) and it only counted as one occurance. Check them out, the insurance is pretty good price too. By the way, just bought a new Blue F6B couple of weeks ago and Love it!:icon_biggrin:

3Chief
01-15-2016, 06:32 PM
AAA RV Plus, covers everything I'm in or on. 200 mile tow if I remember right. Only had to call for my VTX once otherwise it's paid for itself from my old RV.

willtill
01-15-2016, 06:37 PM
I have AMA and have carried it for many years. Never have had to use it though. Knock on wood. :shhh:

wjduke
01-15-2016, 06:48 PM
This is what my Progressive policy says, plus I have trip interruption coverage. Not sure what that provides. This coverage is an extra $15 for the year.

"Roadside Assistance: If your motorcycle breaks down, Roadside Assistance will pay to tow it to the nearest qualified repair facility. Roadside Assistance also covers the necessary labor costs at the place of breakdown when your motorcycle or off-road vehicle is disabled due to any of the following:
Mechanical or electrical breakdown
Dead battery
Flat tire
Lockout
Insufficient supply of fuel, oil, water, or other fluids
Entrapment in snow, mud, water, or sand within 100 feet of the roadway"

Like everyone else, I hope I never use it.

*Found out about trip interruption coverage....food, travel(rental), lodging if over 100 miles away from home.

jimbov1
01-15-2016, 07:59 PM
I have mine thru Statefarm Insurance in CA. IF you carry Comprehensive Coverage EMERGENCY ROADSIDE SERVICE is now included as part of that coverage just started in September or October Renewal dates. if you have StateFarm INS. call your agent and ask again its a recent change.

lloydmoore1
01-15-2016, 09:22 PM
Roadside assistance is included in my warranty its called Honda Plus. I was also lucky that my dealership included an extra year covering me for 4 years.Is this not the case outside Canada?

grendl
01-15-2016, 11:14 PM
Mine is covered via my GWRRA membership. Cost extra I think 35 bucks.I like road trips and appreciate the extra coverage.OF course my F6B hasnt needed it yet..

shooter
01-15-2016, 11:24 PM
Roadside assistance is included in my warranty its called Honda Plus. I was also lucky that my dealership included an extra year covering me for 4 years.Is this not the case outside Canada?

I haven't seen that yet Lloyd. Like to hear from the other guys. I have it thru Allstate. Never needed it yet.

2015F6B
01-16-2016, 08:56 AM
I also have roadside assistance in conjunction with my Honda Protection Plan, good for 84 month (7 years) . Although the extended warranty doesn't begin until the original factory warranty expires, the roadside assistance began immediately after purchase. The roadside assistance added an additional $180 to the cost of the protection plan which IMHO is cheap for 7 years of roadside assistance. The best part - if you need towing, they will have you towed to the nearest Honda dealer - regardless of distance! Hope I never have to use it but would hate to be stranded without it. Gives me peace of mind if nothing else.

okf6b
01-17-2016, 12:10 AM
I'm not worried about my 2015 breaking down. My biggest concern is a flat that can't be plugged. I found the Honda 60 Month Roadside Assistance Program for $85. Too cheap to pass up.

SimonTemplar
01-17-2016, 02:45 AM
Have it on my F6B by way of Nationwide Insurance.

God help me if I actually ever need it. I can only imagine the Gomer/Goober that Nationwide will send to me if I ever actually need to take advantage of it. I've been with them barely two months and already they've pulled some shady stuff on me.

....sT

3Chief
01-17-2016, 03:32 AM
I've carried AAA for years...more than I care to count and I'm by no means even close to being as senior as many on this forum...AAA has worked out pretty well for me the times I've used it, only once for a bike. Make sure whomever you have is actually going to respond when you need them. Several years ago we were up at Naches and my buddy had a flat on his RV. We couldn't get the tire off for the life of us and we had the tools to do it. The lug nuts were torqued way beyond belief. His company wouldn't/couldn't do anything. My AAA finally got Les Schwab to come out and change it. The 1" drive impact struggled...My point in all this is to make sure whomever you have will be there when you need them...The F6B is a wonderful ride...However should something go wrong whether it be a flat tire or something worse you need the piece of mind that someone will respond and be there when you need them.

mohnolith
01-17-2016, 03:42 PM
I have both of my bikes insured through Farmers Insurance. They use Foremost for their specialty policies. It's included in the premium.

buckeyeken47
01-20-2016, 06:00 PM
Heads up to those of you who think you are covered by your insurance policy - you may want to get the details. I just checked with my insurance agent ( Shelter insurance ) and was informed that they have 'Roadside reimbursement' included in the policy. Upon further investigation it turns out to be limited to $30 per occurrence and they provide no help - just a $30 reimbursement if I provide a receipt. It appears that I need to look at this further.

Donncat
01-21-2016, 10:45 PM
AFTER SEEING THIS THREAD A FEW DAYS AGO I CHECKED MY POLICY, STATE FARM, AND AM TOLD I HAVE IT IS A STANDARD COVERAGE. IT IS NOT LISTED ON THE DEC PAGE LIKE IT IS ON MY TRUCK AND CAR "EMERGENCY ROADSIDE COVERAGE". USED IT ONCE ON THE TRUCK, NO HASSLES, PICKED IT UP AND TOOK IT TO CHEVROLET. AGENT SAYS ALL THE FEATURES SUCH AS FUEL, JUMP, TOW, ETC ARE INCLUDED. CALL YOUR AGENT.

GaTeach
01-22-2016, 09:49 AM
I have friends with trailers. Lol

Chopper Lew's Pit Crew

ReserveBum
01-23-2016, 12:44 PM
Just used my AMA this morning....my son locked his keys in the running car. Called AMA and they got there in @ hour (we are fairly rural so thats a fast response). Only cost me $25 for a tip.

FlaMike
08-17-2016, 07:18 PM
Ok I realize this an old thread, but I recently had some real world experience w/ roadside assistance.

On a recent road trip to New Mexico, one of our group had a breakdown. Bike had to be towed.
This happened on Sun July 3. Holiday weekend.
Now this gal had AAA, HOG, and Progressive. Nearest dealer (Harley) was 150mi away but closed on Sun. Our destination was Sante Fe NM and that dealer happen to be open.
Both AAA, HOG would tow it but since it was over the 100mi limit, she would be charged, like stupid money (over $500+) for the extra distance.
When she called Progressive, they agreed to tow it to nearest open dealer (Sante Fe) at no extra charge to her.

Now everybodies motorcycle travels and geography are different. I certainly never envisioned having to tow anything 150mi+ to a dealer.
But I would have been in that position, had it been me.

Point is, think about how you ride. Local rider or long distance rider. Populated areas or middle of nowhere.
And about above all else, read the FINE print on that Road Side towing plan. Know what do or don't have before you need it ! Hope you never do but $hit does happen.

I already had AAA+ & GWRRA but added Progressive Tow for $15 a yr (I already had Progressive Ins) YMMV

RickJ
08-17-2016, 07:45 PM
AAA offers it now with Gold and a small fee. I used it on a trip when F6 died...he was gonna bring it to a shop, but he jumped me, I went to WalMart to get a battery and a passerby said disconnect and reconnect the battery! worked like a charm.