PDA

View Full Version : Tire sizes

bobbyf6b
01-27-2015, 09:51 AM
195/55/16 vs. 175/60/16

Anyone try both? Seems to me skinnier would be better but would like to know from someone's experience.

I have only tried the 195.

shooter
01-27-2015, 08:01 PM
Bobby what didn't you like about the CT?What brand of tire did you try?

bobbyf6b
01-28-2015, 12:44 AM
The last one I had was the G-Max. For me, it was a little squirmy but to be fair I didn't give it a chance to get dialed in. I wanted to wear out my current MT so I removed the CT and ended up selling it. I would like to try a run flat next time to see if the stiffer sidewalls will calm down the squirminess. I don't know if it's my riding style or what but I need a stiff tire.

shooter
01-28-2015, 10:34 AM
I don't know what pressure you were running in the G. Two up and one up 45 seems great to me and I drag the pegs frequently one up. I just put the Alpin on and got a short ride in weekend before last. I'm at 42 and I'm going to 40. Its a little harsh riding at 42. I've been riding the front at 40 also. May end up at 40 for both ends. That runflat is stiff. Sidewall feels three times thicker. It us two plies vs one ply on the G. Weather has been too bad for a good ride.

bob109
01-28-2015, 12:53 PM
I don't know what pressure you were running in the G. Two up and one up 45 seems great to me and I drag the pegs frequently one up. I just put the Alpin on and got a short ride in weekend before last. I'm at 42 and I'm going to 40. Its a little harsh riding at 42. I've been riding the front at 40 also. May end up at 40 for both ends. That runflat is stiff. Sidewall feels three times thicker. It us two plies vs one ply on the G. Weather has been too bad for a good ride.

For the Alpine 32/34 psi should be "golden" only because of the stiff sidewalls:icon_wink:

bobbyf6b
01-28-2015, 04:19 PM
I never got my Gmax up to 45. I had it at 40. I decided to wait until I wear out my MT to play with it more. I sold it just so it wouldn't sit around and I found a F6B rear wheel this time. The Gmax was on a regular Wing wheel.

I don't remember hearing any feedback from the buyer of my Gmax. He's a member here but doesn't post a lot. I hope it's working out for him.

shooter
01-28-2015, 09:56 PM
For the Alpine 32/34 psi should be "golden" only because of the stiff sidewalls:icon_wink:

Bob that's easy to say but with my 290 lbs and the wife at 180 its a pretty good load. Whereas you ran 42 in the G that was squirrelly for me. I'll drop 2lbs at a time till it feels right.

bob109
01-28-2015, 10:47 PM
Bob that's easy to say but with my 290 lbs and the wife at 180 its a pretty good load. Whereas you ran 42 in the G that was squirrelly for me. I'll drop 2lbs at a time till it feels right.

Hell ! I'm a puny 240:icon_lol: Adjusting downward in 2lb. increments should get you to a "sweet spot":039:

mike neal
01-30-2015, 10:42 AM
My brother and I both ride with the CT on the back. He likes the 195 because of the footprint and rollout is very similar to the OEM MC tire. I also put about 18k miles on the 195 Hankook but found it to be a bit squirmy due to lack of sidewall stiffness and that was with 41psi.
However, while at the local Gateway tire store I spotted the 185/55-16 Yokohama. Purchased one and mounted it up. Balanced with only one small weight. 40psi Nitrogen and the sidewall stiffness is very similar to the MC tire (probably due to less sidewall height. Rollout is a bit less and it looks like I gained about 150 rpm at 75mph but the stability and stick to road seat of the pants feel is amazing. We ride pretty hard and will drag the pegs when given the opportunity but this tire should still give 30k plus miles of hard riding based on initial wear measurements. The added bonus is the unbelievable grip and stability in the rain which I attribute in part to being slightly more narrow than the 195 CT. It should also be noted that I have the BT-45 mounted up front with correct rotation arrow to sipe the water away.

Anyway, this is just another choice for those who may be considering the CT alternative. Oh last but not least, the 185 with the smaller rollout will give you better acceleration in third, fourth and fifth gear. Not head turning turbo feel but just that added pop without paying anything additional for chips or pipes. As always, do not take this as advice to run or not run a CT. This is just my personal experience based on actual miles with the CT mounted up.
Take care my friends and ride safe.
Mike Neal

hiflyer
01-31-2015, 10:30 PM

34 psi on my Alpine is saweeet. 215 pounds in the saddle.

valkmc
02-19-2015, 01:13 PM
34 psi on my Alpine is saweeet. 215 pounds in the saddle.

I have my Alpin at 38 psi. Feels right for me.

smokinjoe187
03-29-2015, 02:32 AM
i'm running 40 and 40...seems to work good for me...6 1 290 lbs...daily driver

yabiah
03-29-2015, 11:15 AM
Due to the the weak side wall I've been running mine at 45-47psi.
I think I have the rear shock preload at 10. Or was it 14?
I'm trying to find the sweet spot between shock preload and psi.

I did a spirited 560+ miles yesterday and all was well.
High speed sweepers at and above 90 were solid! First and second gear switchbacks are a tad quirky.
Anything regular, 5-10 over posted, all road conditions couldn't affect the solidity of the G-Max.

If you haven't already, you can view my previous Darkside experience here: http://www.hdforums.com/forum/wheels-tires-and-brakes/578427-2010-heritage-darkside.html
Tim