PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Sound

Cleaver1
01-29-2015, 12:38 PM
Those who purchase a new 2015 F6B, let us know how much different the sound of the new exhaust is.

RLatt
01-29-2015, 01:45 PM
It's louder and lower. I would compare it to a BMW RS1200 or RS1600 , if you have heard one. It's noticeable at idle, but really (to me) awesome sounding during acceleration and downshifting....kind of a rumble / cackle sound, on downshift especially.

I have only had it in the interstate for 20 miles or so, and the sound is louder than I thought it would be at 75 - 80 mph. I don't mind it, but I predict some won't like it because it's considerably louder. Before I bought it (last Saturday) I had asked the salesperson if it was the same sound as a Valkyrie, and he said no.

I don't know if this answers the question, it's hard to "describe" a sound. All I know is, it sounds bad-ass, and I like it. :icon_biggrin:

bigbird
01-29-2015, 09:54 PM
Before I bought it (last Saturday) I had asked the salesperson if it was the same sound as a Valkyrie, and he said no.

I'm not to sure about that. This quote is from Honda Canada's website describing the 2015 F6B:

"And, if you’re looking for an added edge, this year’s F6B will feature a blacked-out muffler and adopts the same exhaust sound of the Valkyrie."

RLatt
01-29-2015, 10:19 PM
I'm not to sure about that. This quote is from Honda Canada's website describing the 2015 F6B:

"And, if you’re looking for an added edge, this year’s F6B will feature a blacked-out muffler and adopts the same exhaust sound of the Valkyrie."

That may be, I am repeating what the salesperson said. Bottom line is, I like the sound, no matter what it compares to.

bigdawg
01-29-2015, 11:02 PM
In my opinion it isn't any louder, just deeper. But you know what they say about opinions.

Goldwing Werks
01-30-2015, 08:22 PM
Yep, lower tone and not louder. Honda did a great job on the sound of the 15s.

RLatt
01-30-2015, 08:41 PM
Yep, lower tone and not louder. Honda did a great job on the sound of the 15s.

Not louder than what? Louder than a 13' or a 14' F6B? I rode a 13' several times in the weeks before my 15' got here. The 15' is louder at idle, on acceleration, on downshifting, and at interstate speeds. Have you driven a 15?

I agree with you when you say Honda did a great job with the sound. Not going to get into a pissing match on this forum. My bike, my opinion.

Jimmytee
01-30-2015, 08:51 PM
My 13 is louder than all you alls. I just turn up the stereo.:icon_biggrin:

:shhh: Yes dear, I'm turning it down.

Limoles
01-30-2015, 09:51 PM
Engineering / design / construction of produced mufflers / tips for F6B didn't change its technology at all .

All excitement for "expected differences" in sound between 13/14' models , compared to the 15' are related to the external pipe's plating . Chrome is a metal , which transfers heat and sound in different ratio then ceramic paint .

A radiant heat is insulated from the thermal barrier / coating , which in these differences , play the role of an absorbent for the Sound Spectrum, called "Sound Board". Acoustical properties of different "insulators" create final effectiveness , which one might looking for .

So , following Sound Transmission Class (STC) and Impact Insulation Class (IIC), it produce slightly different , maybe deeper / throatier sound and doesn't have anything to do with expected performance , but could be an answer for few.

bigbird
01-30-2015, 10:34 PM
Engineering / design / construction of produced mufflers / tips for F6B didn't change its technology at all .

All excitement for "expected differences" in sound between 13/14' models , compared to the 15' are related to the external pipe's plating .

Are you somehow privy to Honda's engineering drawings of the '15 mufflers, or did you buy a set for $1500, cut them cross sectionally, and compare them to a cut set of '13/'14 mufflers?

RLatt
01-30-2015, 10:42 PM
Are you somehow privy to Honda's engineering drawings of the '15 mufflers, or did you buy a set for $1500, cut them cross sectionally, and compare them to a cut set of '13/'14 mufflers?

My my, you are a chippy little dude, aren't you. I have driven on a 15 - you haven't. Until you ride a 15, a listen for yourself, you really have nothing to base your opinion on......follow?

bigbird
01-31-2015, 02:08 AM
My my, you are a chippy little dude, aren't you. I have driven on a 15 - you haven't. Until you ride a 15, a listen for yourself, you really have nothing to base your opinion on......follow?

No need to jump on me.
Nobody here is commenting on the sound of the mufflers, only the reason for the different sound.
Limoles thinks its due only to the different external plating, and he emphatically states the 13/14 mufflers are identical in construction to the '15 except for the external plating. How does he know that all three model years have the identical mufflers without seeing engineering drawings or cutting them open?
Nowhere did he or I comment on the sound, so my driving a '15 is irrelevant here.

bob109
02-01-2015, 04:07 AM
For those who can understand the Laws of Noise Pollution/Noise Control there are State/Federal Laws which regulate the amount of exhaust noise/note emitted by motorcycles, autos, light/heavy duty trucks and buses. The norm is usually in a range of 84/92 Decibels and is measured at variable feet distances from the source. Most Safety Inspection Stations, some Police Department and all Heavy Manufacturing Facilities have Decibel Meters which require "Certification" to assure their accuracy as their results can usually dictate the need for "Personal Hearing Protection". That said, the current argument over which year F6B has the louder/throatier stock exhaust note is easily settled. A side by test of 2013,2014 and 2015 using a Calibrated Decibel Meter will provide "proof positive" which exhaust emits the loudest note. To my knowledge all stock motorcycle mufflers carry a "embossed/engraved" Federal Warning" about modifications which would tamper/void the Factory Designed/Regulated Noise Level.:039:

Don't kill each other over a issue, in this case "exhaust note", which is easily and accurately answered:icon_lol:

Limoles
02-01-2015, 11:17 AM
Those who purchase a new 2015 F6B, let us know how much different the sound of the new exhaust is.

As you can see , no one could answer to your question , because not to many bought 2015 model yet ( except RLatt who already has it ) , and in the same time rode 2013/2014 version to provide any legitimate comparison . Nobody , ( including myself ) poses enough expertise , or have special instrumentation to measure level of noise/pollution, set by State/Federal restrictions Laws , because we know the manufacturers must obey them . Who is doing that anyway , or even think about it during the purchase of new motorcycle ?

However , for the only reason of curiosity , last week I spent some time in my local Honda dealer and asked to fire new 2015 B and allow me to get close with my '13 B. Beside jealous look onto Cruise Control set up , I was moving back and forth , site to site , carefully listening both exhaust notes and found ... just a little difference.
Ironically and in the same time , one of the customers was buying 40 Anniversary Goldwing ( what a beauty ! ), and that bike was placed in parallel to tested by me '13 and '15 . Its blackened pipes had the same sound as '15 B , but different then his traded 2012 GW ( and my B ). It was just beginning of our discussion and reason for endless analysis , when we all agreed , that this "enigmatic difference" could be related to mentioned by me and explained above role of external coating , leading us to the same conclusion . None of us was cutting any pipes , no one was trying to argue to prove anything . Dealer himself ( 35 years in the same business ) added final statement : "Guys - there are the same tips , but having only different finish" . I left the place with little embitterment , only mournfully unable to set Cruise Control in my B , but with hope , that one day "I'll be back" .

Phantom
02-06-2016, 05:09 PM
Here is my experience ...

My original tips on my Goldwing were showing their age and I just like the look of the F6B Tips.
6 months ago, I installed a set of 2015 F6B tips on my Wing, I immediately noticed a throatier exhaust note that I just wasn't too crazy about, I kind of missed my quiet exhaust.

Move forward 6 months and I just acquired a second set of exhaust tips from a 2013 F6B, I figured that maybe the throatier note was caused by the 2015 tips …. The 2013 tips are identical to the 2015's

Honda must have changed the internal design of the mufflers to give even a more throatier sound on the 2015 and 2016 F6B's.

Just my personal experience …. :shrug:

GHOSTRACER
02-06-2016, 08:18 PM
At idle, the wife's 2015 is louder than my 2013 with V&H's. She hasn't let me ride it yet :icon_rolleyes:, so I can't comment on the tone while riding.

Steve 0080
02-06-2016, 08:23 PM
You bored ?

nvmyf6
02-07-2016, 12:57 AM
Here is a nice video of the 2015 F6B sound. But sitting in the garage, raising the rpms, doesn't really produce the same tone as it does while cruising down the road. Ya gotta ride it to hear it.

http://youtu.be/rifSWP6WWAQ

choptop
02-07-2016, 07:35 AM
For those who can understand the Laws of Noise Pollution/Noise Control there are State/Federal Laws which regulate the amount of exhaust noise/note emitted by motorcycles, autos, light/heavy duty trucks and buses. The norm is usually in a range of 84/92 Decibels and is measured at variable feet distances from the source. Most Safety Inspection Stations, some Police Department and all Heavy Manufacturing Facilities have Decibel Meters which require "Certification" to assure their accuracy as their results can usually dictate the need for "Personal Hearing Protection". That said, the current argument over which year F6B has the louder/throatier stock exhaust note is easily settled. A side by test of 2013,2014 and 2015 using a Calibrated Decibel Meter will provide "proof positive" which exhaust emits the loudest note. To my knowledge all stock motorcycle mufflers carry a "embossed/engraved" Federal Warning" about modifications which would tamper/void the Factory Designed/Regulated Noise Level.:039:

Don't kill each other over a issue, in this case "exhaust note", which is easily and accurately answered:icon_lol:

Sounds like a matter that could be resolved in September w/a decibel meter, over an adult beverage.:stirthepot:

willtill
02-07-2016, 07:37 AM
Sounds like a matter that could be resolved in September w/a decibel meter, over an adult beverage.:stirthepot:

Ya. Hold my beer and watch this. :icon_wink:

seadog
02-07-2016, 08:11 AM
Enough noisy bikes, that is why I'm extremely happy with my 2015 Deluxe with the 2014 chrome pipes on it. Quiet, nice, I can listen to the stereo and not be bludgeoned by noisy exhaust tone. Suits me just fine!3724

wjduke
02-07-2016, 08:32 AM
Enough noisy bikes, that is why I'm extremely happy with my 2015 Deluxe with the 2014 chrome pipes on it. Quiet, nice, I can listen to the stereo and not be bludgeoned by noisy exhaust tone. Suits me just fine!18726

My stock M109 was twice as loud at idle than this 2015. I find it just right when alone. Can hardly hear it when riding with my 9'er friends. I've never been along side an earlier model to compare. I'm sure others here have and can give a true comparison. On it's own, it's pretty darn quiet, even with this newer "loud" version.

bob109
02-07-2016, 08:39 PM

For entry level models at approximately $20.00 you can put this issue to rest at this years Rally!

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEVoBw8LdWU8gA67UPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTBy MjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Decibel+Meter&fr=yhs-vz-vz&hspart=vz&hsimp=yhs-vz

2015F6B
04-08-2016, 08:46 PM
Enough noisy bikes, that is why I'm extremely happy with my 2015 Deluxe with the 2014 chrome pipes on it. Quiet, nice, I can listen to the stereo and not be bludgeoned by noisy exhaust tone. Suits me just fine!

+1 on what dog said. I recently installed a like new set of 2013 mufflers (including shields & tips) on my 2015 - wow, what a difference - music to my ears at last! Much quieter and no more annoying resonance and drone while accelerating in the 2K-3K range! Completely gone. I'll never go back to the 15 mufflers (and no, they're not for sale).

Like some others, I own both sets and have examined both, and yes, they are different in a few ways. Those who have said they're the same haven't done their homework. Take a look at the pics below. The exit pipe on the 13/14 muffler is short and slant cut as well as being below center on the end of the can whereas the exit pipe is centered on the end can for 2015 as well as being a different configuration. Tips are also vastly different (sorry I didn't have a pic of the 13 tip). As for the other end, when looking down the inlet with a flashlight, the 2013's have a baffle about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way to the end, whereas the 2015's baffle is 6" to 8" closer to the inlet. Don't know what prompted mother Honda to make these changes but suffice it to say that I am much happier with the 13s, it's not even a close call. Don't mean to start another controversy, just saying . . .

Jim-oz
04-08-2016, 10:05 PM
When i first got my 15' i thought the sound was from the engine as it was louder than expected, kinda like i supposed a Porsche flat 6 would be but i know i loved it. Over time i now realize its the pipes, absolutely perfect for me, mind you as a veteran i have hearing loss and so i could imagine some may find it a little, or a lot, too loud.

My point being and its been made many times before, every rider has different preferences. This 'sound' is mine.

I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!

Jimmytee
04-09-2016, 04:18 AM
I've just not found the motivation to spend money on making my bike louder. I know and understand the desire to do so. I have Cobra 6 into 6 pipes on my Valkyrie and they sound awesome ( The Cobra 6-2-6 for the F6B not so much).
However, when I'm riding by myself or in the front, I can hear my bike just fine in the twisty bits. My exhaust sound just pretty much disappears though on the highway. I've grown kind of fond of that.:icon_wink:
Sure, when I'm around other riders, mainly HD riders, we joke about the lack of noise coming from mine. I just crank up the stereo.

Bob Penn
04-09-2016, 06:27 AM
I don't understand all this fuss over sound. At the risk of sounding like an old fart let me say when we were kids we solved our sound problems on the old 327 or the 409 with a quarter inch drill to the mufflers.
There's always the classic cloths pin and baseball card in the spokes gimmick; oh wait we really don't have spokes now. Ah progress is the problem. :clap2:

seadog
04-09-2016, 07:14 AM

You need to tell that to those Harley riders with aftermarket pipes, I road next to one last year and couldn't hear myself think and had to stay ahead of him just to keep my sanity.

opas ride
04-09-2016, 10:12 AM
You need to tell that to those Harley riders with aftermarket pipes, I road next to one last year and couldn't hear myself think and had to stay ahead of him just to keep my sanity.

Most Harley riders have loud pipes because over the years, the mentality is that the noise makes their bike go faster and therefore the dealers love to convince these riders that they need these pipes to enjoy the so-called Harley mind set!!...My neighbors have two HD's with pipes so loud that they rattle the windows in my house and sound so "obnoxious" it is sickening!!!...Just my $.02.....

Maddoggie501
04-09-2016, 09:44 PM
I just traded in a 2014 Valkyrie for a 2016 F6B. The Valkyrie pipes were much louder. I liked the sound and it never bothered me on long rides. My buddies said it sounded like a 6 cylinder sports car. The 2016 F6B seems pretty quiet to me. The end caps were different also. The Valkyrie had 3 exit holes in each exhaust pipe, while the 2016 F6B has one larger hole in each exhaust pipe. Cannot compare the 2016 to earlier year F6B's. Just my 2 cents.

3Chief
04-09-2016, 10:41 PM
Where as I love the sound of a well tuned set of loud pipes...I generally work backshift and I don't think the neighbors would enjoy them as much as I do at o'dark thirty... :icon_mrgreen:

willmusac
04-13-2016, 01:00 PM
I have a 2015, with 1600 miles on. I first noticed the sound to be a little annoying at about 65 or 70. Kind of loud coming thru my arai full face helmet. It could be my helmet.

I guess I am getting used to it. It does not bother me any more.

My friend has a 2104 Valkarie, it has the same sound at idle.