PDA

View Full Version : installed mustang seat

shortleg0521
02-04-2015, 11:59 AM
I just installed my mustang seat, and you are right getting
bolts in could be a pain. I just used a few screw drivers through the seat
to keep the bolt holes lined up and it went in .
The other things I found to be true is the catch at the front should be a bit lower
to allow it to catch the bar at the front. It all so is a bit of a pain to line up the release for
the bags.
But if you take your time it can be done.
I will add I had just taken my meds so it seemed easier than normal!
shortleg

98valk
02-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Installing mine the first time was a royal pain. The rear of the seat is just too wide for the hand rails.

But, after being on for months, the seat foam has conformed and the seat comes off and goes back on real easily now (with the stock bolts). Yea!! :yes:

opas ride
02-05-2015, 11:44 AM
I am hopeful that I have the same results. My seat has been on now for about 3,000 miles and was a royal "PITA" to install the first time. I do have the newer style long bolts now and plan to install them when the weather gets warmer...RickW at Value Accessories says the up-dated bolts work great....I sure hope so!!!

powercruzer13
02-13-2015, 10:26 PM
Having put an Ultimate on my F6B & now just installed the Mustang on the wife's B I found a little tip.
When you have the seat off, chase the threads on the seat mounts. They seem to be a bit tight from the factory. Also dab some anti-seize on the bolt threads.
Makes reassembly a bit easier. :yes:

luisjromero
02-14-2015, 06:43 PM
Welcome to the club....welcome20.

jarhead22
02-14-2015, 07:06 PM
Use the new tapered seat bolts! I bought the new style bolts and Mustang seat a couple of weeks ago, install took about 10 minutes total. Bolts went in and lined up quite well first time around. This was the first time to remove the oem seat so everything was still tight but with the new tapered bolts the install was absolutely no problem.

opas ride
02-14-2015, 07:11 PM
Use the new tapered seat bolts! I bought the new style bolts and Mustang seat a couple of weeks ago, install took about 10 minutes total. Bolts went in and lined up quite well first time around. This was the first time to remove the oem seat so everything was still tight but with the new tapered bolts the install was absolutely no problem.
Good to hear the seat went on alright...Looking to change bolts from stock to the newer tapered ones soon as the weather gets above freezing!!!!

jarhead22
02-14-2015, 07:37 PM
Good to hear the seat went on alright...Looking to change bolts from stock to the newer tapered ones soon as the weather gets above freezing!!!!

I am confident you will be pleased with the new bolts. I had read repeatedly about the nightmare that folks were have doing the install, so figured it was worth giving the tapered bolts a shot. Plan on keeping the six for as long as i can run her so thought the bolt purchase was a no-brainer as i don't need the aggravation every time i pull the seat. Ride safe my friends!

powercruzer13
02-14-2015, 09:12 PM
I bought the tapered bolts for my F6B when I put the Ultimate Seat on my bike. Even with the tapered bolts I still had a time with one of the holes. Seems that either the threads are a bit tight or there may be some frame paint or coating in the threads. On the wife's F6B I did not use the tapered bolts, chasing the threads & using a round phillips screwdriver to line up the bolts worked out real well for me. :icon_cool:

hiflyer
02-14-2015, 09:13 PM
I am confident you will be pleased with the new bolts. I had read repeatedly about the nightmare that folks were have doing the install, so figured it was worth giving the tapered bolts a shot. Plan on keeping the six for as long as i can run her so thought the bolt purchase was a no-brainer as i don't need the aggravation every time i pull the seat. Ride safe my friends!

Several of us have posted about dabbing "never seize" on the stock bolts the first time they were taken out and reinstalled. I have never had an issue with aligning the stock bolts and starting them. I use it on all my bolts, including the luggage rack.

jarhead22
02-15-2015, 10:32 AM
Several of us have posted about dabbing "never seize" on the stock bolts the first time they were taken out and reinstalled. I have never had an issue with aligning the stock bolts and starting them. I use it on all my bolts, including the luggage rack.

:yes: on the anti=seize. I use it on anything that looks like it will be a later issue as well, including the new tapered bolts.

bob109
02-16-2015, 04:10 AM
Having put an Ultimate on my F6B & now just installed the Mustang on the wife's B I found a little tip.
When you have the seat off, chase the threads on the seat mounts. They seem to be a bit tight from the factory. Also dab some anti-seize on the bolt threads.
Makes reassembly a bit easier. :yes:

Would this be the "Tip" you are referring to?

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3883-Seat-Installation-Improvement

DaWadd
02-16-2015, 10:58 AM
Used the stock bolts with anti seize and tapped the bosses like mentioned. Using screwdrivers or wooden dowel to line up the holes makes it a breeze."coffee"

Texas TC
02-16-2015, 11:04 AM
The first install is the most difficult. After riding and getting the seat broke in, subsequent installs are effortless even with stock bolts.

powercruzer13
02-16-2015, 09:49 PM
The first install is the most difficult. After riding and getting the seat broke in, subsequent installs are effortless even with stock bolts.

Good to hear!:yes::yes:

tonycarver
02-17-2015, 02:24 PM
her highness has noticed that since we installed the mustang seat, the side grips if you call them that rub on the back of her legs more than with the stock seat. anyone else have this happen? we're thinking of either sewn=in pads on the back of her pants or ..maybe getting an upholsterer to make something to go over them???

bdmcrider
04-01-2015, 01:02 PM
Well I got my Mustang Deluxe seat in yesterday, was sure it was going to be a simple 30 minute seat swap (I've owned many bikes and swapped many seats over the years) and then out for a ride to enjoy the spoils.....................NOPE!
Backrest/rear rack off; check, seat removed; check, slide Mustang seat into place; check, install left side grab rail; well after about an hour, using screw drivers to align and anti-seize on the bolts to help lubricate (i.e. not strip) I FINALLY got the left side on, checked bag release, all is good. On to the other side, I was able to get the front bolt started...........BUT for the life of me I could not get the rear bolt to align & grab the bag release knob! Seat pan just seems too wide at bag release knob.
After MUCH :banghead: I decided it was time to quite for the night. I'll take my meds today before I go for round two............at least while researching the seat install here I know I'm not alone. I just hope I have the same experience, after I get some miles on the seat, with the ease of removal/re-install.

JackB
04-01-2015, 02:58 PM
When I first installed my Mustang with tapered bolts. Things didn't feel right, so I started over by cleaning the threads out with a tap. The bolts went in without any problems.

F6B1911
04-01-2015, 04:14 PM

I just did mine, but I cheated, I replaced on at a time, no issues that way.