PDA

View Full Version : New Bike Break-In Secrets

taxfree4
02-05-2015, 02:07 AM
I have found this information interesting, sounds like the guy knows what he's talking about.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

jkelley
02-05-2015, 06:35 AM
He does! I been doing it for years and have no idea how many engines I have built over all these years and every one gets the same treatment.
Not one failure, or complaint.

BIGLRY
02-05-2015, 01:41 PM
"Ride it like you stoled it" from day one has been my new engine break-in procedure all my engine building life and I have built quite a few from lawn mowers & mini-bikes to super charged, blown chevs and turbo MC. I have never had a problem with the type of break-in procedures he recommends and whole heartily indorse it as the way, and is how I broke in my F6B (I hit 115 MPH with 2 miles on).:301:

motoman
02-05-2015, 03:48 PM
Oh Please. :icon_rolleyes: Let's not start this again. :shhh:

That website has been around for over 10 years. I do not agree or disagree with it.

Some bikes break in better than others. Few or none fail because of a break-in choice. Same with Oil.

The Wing is a big, heavy, bike. That alone contributes to loading the engine, and helping the rings to seat, no matter how you ride.

How many Wings have you heard of that burn oil?

BIGLRY
02-05-2015, 04:26 PM

That website has been around for over 10 years. I do not agree or disagree with it.

Some bikes break in better than others. Few or none fail because of a break-in choice. Same with Oil.

The Wing is a big, heavy, bike. That alone contributes to loading the engine, and helping the rings to seat, no matter how you ride.

How many Wings have you heard of that burn oil?Yep, the site has been around for over 10 years and his advise is as good today as it was when he first published it IMO.
As to Wings that burn oil, I have found that most wing owners don't check their oil level in a constant way...on center stand, level ground, dipstick NOT screwed in... so they get different readings.
I like to let mine set for a min of 1/2 hr after riding before checking so all the oil has a chance to let gravity do its thing. Consistency in the oil checking method is the key. Some older, high mileage Wings will puff a little blue on start up out the left side after setting on the side stand due to a little valve guide wear, but still no big deal.
I still say "ride it like you stoled it" as the way to break an engine in.

taxfree4
02-05-2015, 05:01 PM

How many Wings have you heard of that burn oil?

If you don't agree or disagree then why post anything? Some people may not have read this and it may be helpful to them with their new bike. The fact that he's still around means he must be doing something right. This is just information and not everyone is an expert like yourself and that is the reason why I posted this. Let them read it and if they like what they read follow it, if the don't, move on. But if they neither like or dislike, why even bother, wasted energy.

opas ride
02-05-2015, 05:06 PM
+1

shooter
02-05-2015, 05:14 PM
I usually ride fairly conservative for the first tank. i.e. I try not to hit the rev limiter. After that its all bets off. Only been riding bikes for 46 years but as of today I've never had an engine failure or a bike that used oil. My bikes always seem to run better than my buds and have fewer problems. You should read the break in procedure on my M109R. If you did what they say the warranty would be up before you could get it above 5000 rpm. Believe me it was planned that way. The 9 runs like an ape and the B is not too far behind. I think this guy is on to something. I break my automobiles in hard also. Same results.

shooter
02-05-2015, 05:25 PM
If you don't agree or disagree then why post anything? Some people may not have read this and it may be helpful to them with their new bike. The fact that he's still around means he must be doing something right. This is just information and not everyone is an expert like yourself and that is the reason why I posted this. Let them read it and if they like what they read follow it, if the don't, move on. But if they neither like or dislike, why even bother, wasted energy.

You are exactly right Tax. I'll tell you a story you won't believe. Last year on the M109R forum we had a new guy post that he was disappointed with the power of the 9. He talked about engine shudder in 5th gear and lack of response when he twisted the throttle. Also having to downshift on hills. Turns out that even though this was a used bike he was living below 3000 rpm. Now the 9 redlines at 7500 rpm and believe me when the hammer is down all the magic occurs above 4500 rpm. The 9 loves to rev. This guy was worried cause he thought he was turning too many rpms on the hwy in 5th gear so he just kept it down around 3000. He thought that anything more would wear his engine out. So although a lot of us know a few things. There are a few that need help. Some people have weird ideas. Don't mean they aren't good people , they just need a little help.

taxfree4
02-05-2015, 05:42 PM
I just figure the more sheet I throw against the wall maybe, just maybe, some of it will stick. That is quite a story though.

Limoles
02-05-2015, 08:34 PM
I have found this information interesting, sounds like the guy knows what he's talking about.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

This is excellent guideline for all and post having great explanation . Understanding and following physics is as good as gold , so read it and get rich .

lance89
02-08-2015, 04:24 PM
I'm very lucky to have a friend that owns a shop with a dyno. I use the dyno break in procedure, and I have had very good results. Lance

okiedoc
05-25-2015, 02:21 PM
I used this technique while breaking in my 2006 Honda ST 1300. It runs great and never uses oil. Planning on doing this when I pick up my F6B next week.

seadog
05-25-2015, 05:06 PM
"Ride it like you stoled it" from day one has been my new engine break-in procedure all my engine building life and I have built quite a few from lawn mowers & mini-bikes to super charged, blown chevs and turbo MC. I have never had a problem with the type of break-in procedures he recommends and whole heartily indorse it as the way, and is how I broke in my F6B (I hit 115 MPH with 2 miles on).:301:

1st gears is the breakin period after that you ride it like Big Larry says. you ride it like you stole it. If its going to break you want it to do that as soon as possible but if its been built correctly it will last your lifetime. Same thing I have done with every new engine and it hasn't failed me yet!

srt8-in-largo
05-25-2015, 11:13 PM

So although a lot of us know a few things. There are a few that need help. Some people have weird ideas. Don't mean they aren't good people , they just need a little help.

Why does Vance & Hines come to mind?

:icon_mrgreen:

:crackup: