PDA

View Full Version : Neutral instead of 2nd Gear

AlaskaF6B
07-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Is anyone else having an issue of thier F6B shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. I have hit neutral about half a dozen times.

BillyDaFinn
07-05-2013, 10:44 AM
I've had this happen quite a bit. I have to remind myself to make A really positive shift from 1st to 2nd. Its user error on my part.

MichaelG
07-05-2013, 10:45 AM
It does happen every once in awhile. You need to make a definitive shift to second. When you try to shift easily...nicely...sometimes it will land in Neutral, rather than 2nd. I have had this happen 4 times in the last 10,000 miles. When it does this...just shift UP into 2nd, and all is well. There is NOTHING wrong with your trans.

IamBatmanF6B
07-05-2013, 04:11 PM
For me it is 2nd to 3rd because of my big old size 15 boot!

Mustangjake
07-05-2013, 07:48 PM
It's has happened to me a few times. Usually when I'm not paying attention to what I'm doing

ff73148
07-05-2013, 09:02 PM
This has always been an issues with Hondas. Nothing wrong. Just do a definitive shift to second.

srt8-in-largo
07-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Good to know; I've missed 2nd and landed in neutral a million times.

smokinjoe187
07-08-2014, 09:27 PM
i will say changing to rotella has made shifts more positive and a lot less false neutrals

bobbyf6b
07-08-2014, 09:40 PM
i will say changing to rotella has made shifts more positive and a lot less false neutrals

+1

naga viper
07-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Always when I'm not paying attention.
There's a thread about pre-loading the shifter.
I just have to remember every time.

bob109
07-09-2014, 06:04 AM
I'm currently on my second oil change with Rotella T6 5W40 Synthetic and have a occasional "missed shift into second gear". It is definitely rider error in not "crisply shifting. If you are paying attention to operating the 6:icon_wink: and not daydreaming:yikes: the trans works as designed. I've had several "heavy cruisers" and one required a fluid change on the hydraulic activated clutch to improve shifting.

Not sure but after nearly 20K miles of riding I may change the DOT 4 on the 6. Probably wouldn't hurt and may actually improve things:clap2:

FlatSixBagger
07-09-2014, 07:03 AM
Yes it is a bike quirk, they commented on that issue in Visor Down and Rider and Cycle World, if you shift a little late it is less likely to happen, over 20 MPH.

SmallPasture
07-09-2014, 07:14 AM
As crazy as it sounded to me this pre-loading (lifting up on the gearshift just before pulling in the clutch) does work. It took some un-learing but for the most part it makes the shift from 1 to 2 almost unnoticeable. Plus ya gotta get up in the rpms a bit. There is a good thread here on clunk shifting or something like that.

Texas TC
07-09-2014, 07:25 AM
Personally, I have not experienced this issue in my F6B. I certainly had it on my previous two full Wings. I am running Kury mini boards on this motorcycle and their positioning wedges my foot more between the floor board and the shifter than with the standard pegs. That could actually help me have more positive shifts in all gears.

Also, the F6B is the first wing I have owned that has not experienced ghost or phantom shifts. My previous full Wings would periodically up or down shift under power. I am certainly glad this bike does not have those quirks.

Darren
07-09-2014, 07:27 AM
Ever since I've been riding Honda's reputation for gear boxes has been that they are a bit clunky and require positive input from the rider. Even in their race rep bikes, Suzuki on the other hand build some of the sweetest gear boxes ever.

jakec
07-09-2014, 08:49 AM
Honda changed the transmissions on the 2014 models, they are much stronger and should shift better.

srt8-in-largo
07-09-2014, 09:48 AM
I'm running the Kuryakin heel-toe shifter which "seems" to make missing 2nd easier... :icon_redface:

We could call this rider error because with the proper technique it will never happen. On the otherhand we could also call it transmission design error because it doesn't need to be like this.

All in all it's a TINY issue to overcome and there's still no other bike in the world I'd rather have.

jakec
07-09-2014, 01:37 PM
On 2013 and earlier flat six 1800 engines it was a design error. Many transmissions had to be replaced because of ghost shifting. If your out of warranty the cost is about $5000.00. Honda finally stepped up to the plate and changed the dogs on the gears in 2014. If you have a 2013 and plan to keep it I would buy the extended warranty.

Slingah
07-09-2014, 05:21 PM
Happens to me quite frequently. I need to put a little more oomph on the up shift to 2nd.
It is a tad annoying.

srt8-in-largo
07-09-2014, 09:29 PM
At what mileage does ghost shifting begin to appear? Is it there from the beginning or does it only start happening after X miles.

I put about 1500 miles on mine and so far so good (no ghost shifting).

smokinjoe187
07-09-2014, 09:35 PM
I'm running the Kuryakin heel-toe shifter which "seems" to make missing 2nd easier... :icon_redface:

We could call this rider error because with the proper technique it will never happen. On the otherhand we could also call it transmission design error because it doesn't need to be like this.

All in all it's a TINY issue to overcome and there's still no other bike in the world I'd rather have.

its not a design issue if you changed the shifter though...

we are talking about the regular shifter not heal toe.. be hard to preload it...

jakec
07-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Ghost shifting can start at any mileage, I'm sorry for repeating myself but go to GL1800 Riders site and search ghost shifting or Goldwing Greg from Just Wings, it will really open your eyes about the 1800 transmission.

mikey
07-09-2014, 09:55 PM
Wow, that's interesting, I've not experienced shifting issues with the 6. If anything , neutral is super smooth to click to from 1st or 2nd. I use amsoil (?) hope there's no trans problems with anyone. Thanks for the info.

srt8-in-largo
07-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Jake, thanks I'll take a peek over there. I can't say I'm looking forward to what I find.

SmokinJoe, maybe a better way to say it is it's an "issue of the design". I'm really just playing semantics here... with my thought being there seems to be other trannies that aren't are as easy to get neutral accidentally. If Honda REALLY wanted to they could tweak the design and minimize this phenomenon but there's no business case to do so.

CheesyRider
07-10-2014, 08:39 AM
Honda finally stepped up to the plate and changed the dogs on the gears in 2014.

If Honda REALLY wanted to they could tweak the design and minimize this phenomenon but there's no business case to do so.

I'm confused. Did they change the design for 2014, or didn't they? Has anyone with a 2014 experienced any shifting issues?

jakec
07-10-2014, 08:59 AM
Yes they did change the design for 2014. Much better design. I went to Wing Ding and Greg from Just Wings showed we the two gear sets, one from the 2014 and one from the earlier years and you couldn't believe the difference in the shifting dogs. If you get a chance go to the Just Wings site, some interesting reading and Greg is very knowledgable.

srt8-in-largo
07-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Huh. I stand corrected.

I find it interesting that Honda took the time and effort to dig into this issue considering that a new gearbox is currently on the drawing board.

Kudos!

Scotrod
07-10-2014, 10:39 AM
IMHO, the 6 requires a 'semi-conscious' shifting effort by the rider to avoid '1/2 shifts',,,,

My prior bike (Stratoliner) was a smooooth shifta!!! :yes:

The VTX before it?, Eh, not so 'smooth',,, (Sometimes wonder if shaft vs belt has anything to do with this, but :shrug:)

IMHO, 'application orientated' footwear helps, meaning the TCX 'X-Cube Air' motorcycle shoes I wear now are far easier to shift with than my old Timberland Work boots. (Used the same Timberlands on the Strat, but foot position was a lot different,,,)

BBB
07-25-2014, 01:07 PM
Becaus F6B shifts so much "slikier" compared to my previous ride (Harley Street Glide) I think I've been shifting it "too softly"

I have started to shift more "positively" with a little more "firm" pressure with my foot. It seems to shift better this way.

On Harelys, it's almost like "kickin" the shifter. lol

I really like the F6B's transmission: It's nice to be able to find neutral
at the lights even when it's hot as heck in the AZ heat.

tonycarver
07-26-2014, 09:13 AM
For me it is 2nd to 3rd because of my big old size 15 boot!

I concur, my third gear doesn't like coming for a ride....lol. sometimes I have to lift 4 or 5 times. makes for a rather jerky shift......:icon_frown:

Hornblower
07-26-2014, 09:55 AM
I concur, my third gear doesn't like coming for a ride....lol. sometimes I have to lift 4 or 5 times. makes for a rather jerky shift......:icon_frown:

Is it possible you aren't allowing the shifter to fully retract between changes? I know I've done that before. Of course, you may have some kind of mechanical problem but next time you go out, make sure you let the shifter fully retract before shifting into third. Just a thought...

jimmy hudson
07-26-2014, 01:18 PM
I had been shifting the F6B like a Harley for the first 7,000 miles. It was on this forum that I first read of preloading the shift lever.
I tried preloading and realized that my shifting procedure may have been incorrect. Preloading seemed a little awkward at first, especially first to second. Now, I try to shift as though I were an "automatic" transmission, i.e., fast, like a machine, and my shifting seems to be more aligned with the bike. Preloading the shift lever (while upshifting) facilitates a much swifter shift.
I don't even pretend to know if my observations on this are correct...I'm still learning.... and open to suggestions.

Drive Jehu
08-01-2014, 07:43 AM
"Is anyone else having an issue of thier F6B shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. I have hit neutral about half a dozen times."

I weigh in at 170 and ride 1 up. Most of my flat land starts are in 2ed gear and I do not need to slip the clutch. Starts are smooth and with just a little gas...I'm headed down the road like I've been shot out of a compound bow.

sheazo
08-01-2014, 07:50 AM
This also happens to me and i find that footwear is part of the issue, boots no problems, sneakers on the otherhand i have a shifting problem.