PDA

View Full Version : Could the Valkyrie Be a Edsel

Madmax
02-09-2015, 06:36 AM
Hey guys I was at a few honda dealers over the weekend . Does not look good for the Valkyrie , everyone has 2 or 3 , looks like the next step is to start taping money to the bikes .
I can get one for under 12k , I think if they would have made the bike in the more treditional classic look they would have sold more , now there just sprinkled all over .
I was looking at the goldwing , one sales guy made a joke buy 3 full wings and get a F6c for free ... LOL

BIGLRY
02-09-2015, 12:16 PM
Hey guys I was at a few honda dealers over the weekend . Does not look good for the Valkyrie , everyone has 2 or 3 , looks like the next step is to start taping money to the bikes .
I can get one for under 12k , I think if they would have made the bike in the more treditional classic look they would have sold more , now there just sprinkled all over .
I was looking at the goldwing , one sales guy made a joke buy 3 full wings and get a F6c for free ... LOL
Under $12k NEW really?.....who is the dealer, their phone number, web site?:yikes:

Limoles
02-09-2015, 12:41 PM
Yes - All yours ... and it's black .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Valkyrie-2014-honda-gold-wing-valkyrie-base-new-/141566901409?forcerrptr=true&hash=item20f60b7ca1&item=141566901409&pt=US_motorcycles

PS.
Re-listed price can be lower .

BIGLRY
02-09-2015, 03:52 PM
Yes - All yours ... and it's black .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Valkyrie-2014-honda-gold-wing-valkyrie-base-new-/141566901409?forcerrptr=true&hash=item20f60b7ca1&item=141566901409&pt=US_motorcycles

PS.
Re-listed price can be lower .
$11,742 and listing has ended.

Jimmytee
02-09-2015, 05:22 PM
I really liked the new Valkyrie. It was a really nice ride when I test rode one. And Corbin now has some really nice bags for it. Another fellow Valk owner on the VRCC has gone through quite an effort to put different handlebars on it. He put some old model Valkyrie bars and some risers to get the handlebars where he wanted. All that being said, as much as I liked it, I knew that I also liked having a stereo and fairing and at the time I was shopping , the Corbin bags were just something to look forward to not a reality. The F6B just made sense, plus there are a lot more readily available accessory options because of the close relationship to a standard Gold Wing. I think Honda blew it. While I am in the camp of liking it, it certainly has been a polarizing ,love it or hate it design. Most old school owners wanted a more retro styled bike like the original and even though I like it , I have to agree.:icon_rolleyes:

marmilia
02-09-2015, 05:27 PM
Under $12k NEW really?.....who is the dealer, their phone number, web site?:yikes:

http://www.masoncityhonda.com/

Just scroll down a little on their home page....

Great people to deal with, when I bought my F6B from them they installed a passenger back rest and rack at 20% off list price and no labor charge and no delivery or set up charges for the bike.

Limoles
02-09-2015, 06:07 PM
I don't love , nor hate - simply not interested in her present form . If I was willing to spend $11,5K , I would instantly try to re-shape GW like radiator's looking covers , which esthetically doesn't match rest of the bike and its modern style . Such a re-design could create different image and earn more interest . Wander , why Honda didn't think about it before finding apparent failure in sale ?

53driver
02-09-2015, 06:25 PM
I truly wonder what the test marketing group looked like and at what the test marketeers looked at.

My opinion is that it tried to be too "easy" as a GW/F6B with even less parts, and TOTALLY lost it's identity as a cruiser.

Jimmytee
02-09-2015, 06:39 PM
A friend of mine has the opinion ( I don't share this opinion :crackup: ) that Honda came out with the original Valkyrie to use up 1500 engines before coming out with the 1800 Gold Wing and therefore...... I'll let your imagination run with the rest, but I think you get where this is going :shhh::033:

bigbird
02-09-2015, 06:57 PM
A friend of mine has the opinion ( I don't share this opinion :crackup: ) that Honda came out with the original Valkyrie to use up 1500 engines before coming out with the 1800 Gold Wing and therefore...... I'll let your imagination run with the rest, but I think you get where this is going :shhh::033:

Tell your friend that Honda was one of the first companies to introduce "just in time" manufacturing, which I'm sure you already knew.

Limoles
02-09-2015, 07:46 PM
I truly wonder what the test marketing group looked like and at what the test marketeers looked at.

My opinion is that it tried to be too "easy" as a GW/F6B with even less parts, and TOTALLY lost it's identity as a cruiser.

... and I believe your opinion IS CORRECT . Todays "cost effective" philosophy in Industrialized World count every penny spent on their products , expecting to generate maximum profit . Usually they succeed , except proven failure of new Valkyrie . Will they learn from that mistake ? Let others extend their personal views .

F6B1911
02-09-2015, 09:17 PM
Hey guys I was at a few honda dealers over the weekend . Does not look good for the Valkyrie , everyone has 2 or 3 , looks like the next step is to start taping money to the bikes . I can get one for under 12k , I think if they would have made the bike in the more treditional classic look they would have sold more , now there just sprinkled all over .

.... It may also be the time of the year, I would imagine the Honda dealers in the north are selling 4-wheelers now, give it a few months, once the weather breaks, sales will pick up. ??

bob109
02-10-2015, 04:58 AM
I personally think the Valk is equivalent to the "entry level" Harley Sportster" in the scheme of product lines. A "stripped version" of the "Boxster Engine" with no "bells and whistles" and a price which will get one a swift machine. If one is looking for a tire burner the Valk should fit the bill quite well, without emptying ones pockets. The Sportster is Harley's entry level V-Twin and is a great ride for women as it's light and nimble. Same could apply to the Valk:shhh:

Madmax
02-10-2015, 12:02 PM
Its not just the valkyries , my best friend owns a Kawi dealer and he is sitting on bikes from 2013 just like all the other brands . I do like the Valkyrie at 11K area its a good price for a bike that serves not purpose .
I love the concept of bringing back the name thats sold shit loads of bikes but unfortunatlly only the name was continued .
If they would have done a more triditional bike like its blood line they may have sold more units .
They hit 10k im in ... LOL
Thats just my 2 cents .

Limoles
02-10-2015, 12:31 PM
Honda could continue further development of Valkyrie already . Having new platform , introduced in 2004 ( ALU frame , EFI 1800 engine ) , it was perfect time to keep and preserve famous VALKYRIE name in all line of RUNEs , from the poorest version to the highest end . HD still can be the best example of its multiple functions and finishes.
That's why their riders have a choice of spending between $16K to $40 K.

erbs
02-10-2015, 12:38 PM
I actually went to look at the Valkyrie and when there were no options for bags or a windshield I looked (and bought) the F6B. Traded in my VTX 1300 on it. The only thing I miss is the engine sound of the VTX (I had cobra slash cuts), but the otherwise I've been happy and get lots of people asking what I'm riding.

Jimmytee
02-10-2015, 02:35 PM
Its not just the valkyries , my best friend owns a Kawi dealer and he is sitting on bikes from 2013 just like all the other brands . I do like the Valkyrie at 11K area its a good price for a bike that serves not purpose .
I love the concept of bringing back the name thats sold shit loads of bikes but unfortunatlly only the name was continued .
If they would have done a more triditional bike like its blood line they may have sold more units .
Thats just my 2 cents .

The original Valkyrie wasn't that great of a seller either. Years after the last 2003 rolled off the assembly line in Marysville, OH, you could find brand new leftovers still at dealers.

BubbaJePH
02-10-2015, 08:50 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Valkyrie-2014-honda-valkyrie-no-fees-was-17-099-save-call-now-will-ship-/271766587110?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3f468d06e6&item=271766587110&pt=US_motorcycles

A little chilly up there to go after it.

Limoles
02-10-2015, 09:55 PM
The original Valkyrie wasn't that great of a seller either. Years after the last 2003 rolled off the assembly line in Marysville, OH, you could find brand new leftovers still at dealers.

It was a reason for that . Everyone were hoping to see new , fuel injected engines . It was the time , when all motorcycle factories followed modernized technology . Carburetors and their archaic synchronization ( not to mention constant care ) , became obsolete and remaining leftovers were proving public expectations . For many , this bike still is an icon . Last year , 2003 Valkyrie with 6 miles on meter was sold on eBay for $12,500 in matter of seconds .

shooter
02-11-2015, 08:19 PM
Boys let's quit dancing around the problem. The Valkyrie is fugly. Yes , I have ridden one and if I didn't have an extremely nice M109R setting next to my B , I would own one. Fugly and all. Why. Cause it is a pure muscle cruiser. And its all Honda quality. That wonderful flat six with a torque band from zero to whatever. If you think the B feels nimble compared to a full wing you should feel that Valkyrie compared to a B. Good thing I'm not independently wealthy. I could park it next to the B and the 9. Do you guys wonder what the engineers were thinking when it came to looks? As an ASE certified Master tech for me a lot of times the beauty is underneath the skin. But I like my stuff to look good also. You should be able to have both. I think a redesign on that front fender with a taller tire and a 200 tire out back would help a lot. But that's just me.

Jimmytee
02-11-2015, 09:36 PM
It was a reason for that . Everyone were hoping to see new , fuel injected engines . It was the time , when all motorcycle factories followed modernized technology . Carburetors and their archaic synchronization ( not to mention constant care ) , became obsolete and remaining leftovers were proving public expectations . For many , this bike still is an icon . Last year , 2003 Valkyrie with 6 miles on meter was sold on eBay for $12,500 in matter of seconds .

Don't buy that one Limoles. Why the original Valkyrie didn't sell well, can only be speculated. It was a different style of bike, in an era of American Chopper and V-twin turn key customs. The Valkyrie was said to be imposing and intimidating to some. When I first saw one in 96/97, I was in love. I have owned 2 Valkyries and still have one. Been a long time VRCC member. I don't recall anybody, back in the day, making such a fuss over fuel injection. Fuel injection certainly found itself on many people's list for a Honda reissue of the Valkyrie. That Honda did deliver with the 14. Constant care??? I haven't had to do any care for the carbs other than rejetting when I changed exhaust. If you are in the habit of letting one sit with fuel for prolonged periods of time of time, then yes you may have issues. My current Valk sitting with 80,000 miles on her.

Phantom
02-11-2015, 09:51 PM
Last year , 2003 Valkyrie with 6 miles on meter was sold on eBay for $12,500 in matter of seconds .

Ahhhh yes, but currently there is a fuel injected 2005 Honda Rune with 2.2 miles on the speedometer being sold on E-Bay for $34,999 . It is a slow Black model, if it was a Candy Black Cherry the price would be more :tomatohit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Valkyrie-2005-honda-rune-2-2-miles-/121562915336?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c4db6e208&item=121562915336&pt=US_motorcycles

BIGLRY
02-11-2015, 10:16 PM
Ahhhh yes, but currently there is a fuel injected 2005 Honda Rune with 2.2 miles on the speedometer being sold on E-Bay for $34,999 . It is a slow Black model, if it was a Candy Black Cherry the price would be more :tomatohit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Valkyrie-2005-honda-rune-2-2-miles-/121562915336?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c4db6e208&item=121562915336&pt=US_motorcycles
funnypost. :icon_laugh: :icon_laugh: :icon_laugh: :icon_laugh: :icon_laugh:
and why I owned both colored Runes with two illusion blue ones to boot. I know which is faster, but...ah...er...........never mind. :301:

Injun Joe
02-12-2015, 04:32 PM
Boys let's quit dancing around the problem. The Valkyrie is fugly. Yes , I have ridden one and if I didn't have an extremely nice M109R setting next to my B , I would own one. Fugly and all. Why. Cause it is a pure muscle cruiser. And its all Honda quality. That wonderful flat six with a torque band from zero to whatever. If you think the B feels nimble compared to a full wing you should feel that Valkyrie compared to a B. Good thing I'm not independently wealthy. I could park it next to the B and the 9. Do you guys wonder what the engineers were thinking when it came to looks? As an ASE certified Master tech for me a lot of times the beauty is underneath the skin. But I like my stuff to look good also. You should be able to have both. I think a redesign on that front fender with a taller tire and a 200 tire out back would help a lot. But that's just me.

Even if the Valk only looked half this good...

shooter
02-12-2015, 05:01 PM
I know what you mean.1129811299

chipmaker
02-12-2015, 10:29 PM
Not edsel, Pontiac azteck.

Limoles
02-14-2015, 12:11 PM
Read description :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Valkyrie-2014-honda-gold-wing-valkyrie-gl-1800-c-reserve-is-10-999-/121569023646?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c4e14169e&item=121569023646&pt=US_motorcycles

Cool Hand Luke
02-14-2015, 02:56 PM
Read description :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Valkyrie-2014-honda-gold-wing-valkyrie-gl-1800-c-reserve-is-10-999-/121569023646?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c4e14169e&item=121569023646&pt=US_motorcycles

Correct. You can buy Runes on Ebay all day long from $11,000 to $17,000 range in most cases. It is NOT a collector's item and looses value just as any other bike out there (unless you're a die-hard Rune lover). The one Phantom mentioned for sale on ebay for over $34,000 did not sell. There is a big difference between asking price and selling price.

That's not to say that Rune is not a capable motorcycle. My friend has one and I rode it many times. It is fun to ride. I never bought one as I am simply not comfortable on it. It has no leg room. You are forced into a single position on it and your legs are straight down, like on a standard bike, but with no space, so you end up with your knees in your elbows kind of position. And forward pegs splay your legs way too wide due to engine being there. My friend has five bikes and he rarely rides a Rune, too. But he is a die hard Honda fan and will always own a Rune as a symbol of what Honda can do. It is a very well made bike with factory parts made just for it, not shared with other bikes in Honda line.

I was very excited at first when I found out that Honda is bringing back the Valkyrie. In my mind the Rune is not a true Valkyrie replacement. The original Valkyrie was a very usable bike, comfortable, fast, good handling and unique. Rune was even more unique when it came out but too many compromises design wise to be really useful. It is the first bike I saw coming from Honda where looks came before function (Fury was the second one). Original Valkyrie had beautiful saddlebags and windshield. Rune? Difficult to make it look good with those items as well to find them, therefore hard to tour on it. Now, some guys have done it and ride Rune everywhere, but why? There are many other bikes that can be made into touring bikes and perform better than Rune.

Then I saw the new Valkyrie. Not a fan. I think it's a bike in search of it's own identity. What is it? I don't think Honda people know exactly either. If it's a cruiser, then there is entirely way too much plastic everywhere, big radiators on the sides, and the overall design really does not fit the cruiser mold very well. A sport tourer? Maybe, good liquid cooled engine for touring, but no wind protection or luggage. If you add those, than why not just buy F6B or GW instead?

I think new Valkyrie is mostly a standard type motorcycle. But they don't sell well. And it truly has a face only a mother could love. It reminds me of Suzuki B-King the most from the front, which has to be one of the ugliest bikes Suzuki has ever designed, hence almost no sales. I am glad that Honda had the balls to make a bike that definitely does not copy Harley but marches to it's own beat. It's too bad not many will sell as it is a very capable motocycle.

So, I don't see a current Valkyrie lasting very long at all. It will be sold at heavy discount. If you like one you'll be happy owning it, it should be very reliable and fun to ride. Just make sure you get a great deal on one as it will depreciate a lot. In my opinion there are better ways to spend the similar amount of money. Personally I tried the new Indian Scout last year. Unlike Valkyrie this bike is beautiful, it should be fast and it is well priced. Valkyrie in it's current form will be squeezed out by the competition.

Limoles
02-14-2015, 04:07 PM
Great assumptions and I'd share your comments . Provided link to new Valkyrie presenting the only price , but still doesn't boost my interest . Its analysis were discussed already in our previous discussions .

Phantom
02-14-2015, 07:02 PM
Correct. You can buy Runes on Ebay all day long from $11,000 to $17,000 range in most cases.

I beg to differ .....
The last few Runes sold on E-Bay since November 2014 were sold between $16,500 - $18,500

I personally sold one for $17,250

The Runes were built in 2003 and 2004 ..... Honda unloaded their warehouse in 2008 and a "0" mile Rune in the crate could be purchased for $16,000

Today USED Runes are somewhat holding their value, the last time that I purchased a Rune for $11,000 was in 2010 when the economy was still in the tank and owners were trying to get out of loans taken out in 2008.

The NEW 2014 Valkyrie is not in the same class as a Rune in my opinion.

:popcorn:

Cool Hand Luke
02-14-2015, 11:39 PM

I concur.

The price of a used Rune will vary depending on several factors such as time of year, state, and level of need of the current owner. But they are certainly not appreciating in value since sold new. There exists a very limited market for Rune, only a real Honda enthusiast will want one, but only at a great deal.

Limoles
02-15-2015, 01:40 AM
Beside all , do not forget RUNE was presented and sold as a LIMITED EDITION . So far , many were crashed , some got stolen and few will be neglected . Remaining one ( especially in future ) will create bigger interest , growing demand and it place them in category of WANTED . That's , what happened in auto-moto market in history already.

DaWadd
02-15-2015, 11:01 AM
None of the dealers around here have sold one. I do see discounts in the future. I took a few rides last summer on the Valk and liked the bike quite a bit except for the lack of windshield. As far as the Rune, that is one nice looking ride. The dealer I bought my F6B from has one on his floor for $34000.00. Been there since new.

shooter
02-15-2015, 03:52 PM
I beg to differ .....
The last few Runes sold on E-Bay since November 2014 were sold between $16,500 - $18,500

I personally sold one for $17,250

The Runes were built in 2003 and 2004 ..... Honda unloaded their warehouse in 2008 and a "0" mile Rune in the crate could be purchased for $16,000

Today USED Runes are somewhat holding their value, the last time that I purchased a Rune for $11,000 was in 2010 when the economy was still in the tank and owners were trying to get out of loans taken out in 2008.

I agree. That Rune is some kinda special. Especially with a few custom touches.

1BADF6B
02-15-2015, 04:12 PM
The Valk in blue is a sweet looking ride.

racer
02-17-2015, 05:42 PM
Could the Valkyrie Be a Edsel?

Sure... If an Edsel could do an 11.65 1/4 mile.

Madmax
02-19-2015, 02:21 PM
I was just out shopping the other day . Since were off topic it was a Honda , Yamaha , Triumph ... They had a few $11,700 was the number but there are so many dealers sitting on them they will go lower .
I was looking for a adventure bike and that was not it ... LOL No one wants a heavy sport bike with no aero dynamics , It has more fashion over function .
I would say just about any bike over 700cc should run 11's

racer
02-20-2015, 03:06 PM
I would say just about any bike over 700cc should run 11's

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: Then you'd be wrong, not many "heavy cruisers" (what the valkryie is) will, and those that will are considerably over 700cc.

Two come immediately to mind- the Rocket 3 and the vrod- both around $16000.

opas ride
02-20-2015, 03:17 PM
Could the Valkyrie Be a Edsel?

Sure... If an Edsel could do an 11.65 1/4 mile.

According to the April issue of Motorcyclist mag., in a road test of the Valk, Vmax, Ducati, the Valk runs the quarter in 12.50 seconds at 107.7 mph...I thought it ran faster in other data I had seen...I think the F6B will do that in the 1/4 mile??

racer
02-20-2015, 04:51 PM
According to the April issue of Motorcyclist mag., in a road test of the Valk, Vmax, Ducati, the Valk runs the quarter in 12.50 seconds at 107.7 mph...I thought it ran faster in other data I had seen...I think the F6B will do that in the 1/4 mile??

The F6B will run the 1/4 mile in 11.84 seconds and does 0-60 in 3.3 seconds. Here is the link to the test:

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/04/22/harley-davidson-cvo-road-glide-vs-honda-gold-wing-f6b-deluxe-comparison-test/

It is reasonable to think the 90+ lbs LIGHTER valk would be faster. Per a valk site I perused - 11.65 to be exact. Seems reasonable.

Jimmytee
02-20-2015, 06:25 PM
As, I'm sure most of you are aware, 1/4 mile times can be very dependent on weather ,track conditions and most importantly the rider.:shhh:

Limoles
02-20-2015, 06:37 PM
... not to mention ... some king of "special" TIRES ...

XHarley
02-21-2015, 12:41 PM
Thats just my 2 cents .

I agree with Madmax as the dealers are sitting on a lot of new older models and are starting to deal. When I knew I had a buyer for my F6B I started calling around and found exactly what I was looking for from a nearby HD dealer. He had a black 2014 Harley FXDC with the 103 engine that had very low miles of 710 that he had taken in on a trade last summer and was ready to move it out. Bike looked brand new without even a scratch and he finally gave in and sold it for what he had in it just to get it out of inventory. Best deals right now are at the dealers with inventory needing to be gone. Once spring and warm weather hits these deals will already be sold and gone.

Enjoy what you ride and ride safe.

X