PDA

View Full Version : Klock Werks Flare windshield impressions

Michael_A
02-09-2015, 01:38 PM
Put one on my '13 replacing the stock one.

Install pretty easy. No issues. Installed at "normal" height. Can be modded to go up another 2 inches.

Seems well made. No flexing or shaking no matter what, even at warp speed. Solid.

On the road... it is better than stock. Way better than stock. It looks kinda cool. Certainly not as effective as a barn door full on Goldwing shield, but is a good compromise.

Easy to look over - important to me because I don't like looking through the shield. Top of the shield is about chin height, maybe a bit lower depending on how much I slouch.

At 70 - 75 mph in CLEAN air, it works remarkably well. The airstream hits the top of my helmet (I'm 5-9) and there is no buffeting. I can crack open my full face and not have my eyeballs blown out.

The airstream does create some helmet noise, less than the stock windshield, but the lack of turbulence more than offsets this in my mind.

Can hear the radio pretty well at 70.

At 80+ there is still no buffeting, but the noise does increase a bit - approaching that of the stock shield. Can still hear the radio, but its maxed out.

Still get some good airflow around me which should help on hot days. Not too bad at all on cold days.

Passenger likes it, says better than stock. No buffeting and she states the noise for her is a bit less.

In DIRTY air, like behind a truck or gusting crosswinds, there is a BIT of turbulence but nowhere near the stocker. Noise goes up to around stock level.

Bugs hitting it are blown over the top of my helmet, kinda fun to watch their remains going over the top, but then they impact my passengers face shield... :icon_doh:

At really fast speeds, all the bugs go over both of us.... :077:

Good balance of style and functionality, without having to go with a traditional "flat" windshield.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it and it seems to work well for how I ride and what I need the bike to do! :yes: :yes:

bobbyf6b
02-09-2015, 02:15 PM
Good write up!

I rode to work this morning with the KW shield for the first time. Anything is better than stock and IMO this is the "coolest" looking shield, but it's not without compromise. There is considerably more wind noise than the Windbender, which is adjustable. Time will tell if it's worth the compromise. I'm not positive but I think you can only modify it to go up one inch without seeing the original holes sticking out the top.

hiflyer
02-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Good write up!

I rode to work this morning with the KW shield for the first time. Anything is better than stock and IMO this is the "coolest" looking shield, but it's not without compromise. There is considerably more wind noise than the Windbender, which is adjustable. Time will tell if it's worth the compromise. I'm not positive but I think you can only modify it to go up one inch without seeing the original holes sticking out the top.

I agree it looks cool, only you can make the call whether or not the look is worth the noise, it wasn't for me. Did I say, I love my Madstad?!!!

vstar09
02-09-2015, 08:46 PM
Have a bagger shield....still looking at either a Winderbender or a Madstsd...just can;t get past the looks of the Madstad....Thats why im leaning toward the Windbender....

SoCal Rich
02-09-2015, 09:46 PM
With the Madstad, if you get the smoke screen you really don't notice the hardware.

luisjromero
02-12-2015, 05:30 AM
Can hear the radio pretty well at 70.

Good balance of style and functionality, without having to go with a traditional "flat" windshield.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it and it seems to work well for how I ride and what I need the bike to do! :yes: :yes:

After 3 weeks using it, my conclusions are basically the same, as you said "pretty happy" :icon_wink:

Reedman71
02-12-2015, 07:30 AM
How about some pics? Please.

opas ride
02-12-2015, 12:06 PM
Happy, happy with my Baggershield and have no reason to spend more money on anything else....Too each his own as they say!!!

Cool Hand Luke
02-13-2015, 08:44 AM
Happy, happy with my Baggershield and have no reason to spend more money on anything else....Too each his own as they say!!!

Same with me, I like the looks. I also raised mine a bit and is now perfect height for me. I was interested in BikeMP3's power windshield, but didn't get it because I wanted a dark tinted one and they so far have only the clear one. I just love how the dark tinted Baggershield looks on this bike.

11332 1133311334

luisjromero
02-13-2015, 02:51 PM
How about some pics? Please.

bobbyf6b
02-13-2015, 03:47 PM

:hijack:

Cool Hand Luke
02-13-2015, 10:15 PM

it is a very good looking windshield. I'm just concerned about turbulence, higher speed noise and height, but for the right person this should be a perfect choice. I like the dark tint, too.

I hope I didn't hijack the thread too much with my previous response.

luckyluciano
04-19-2015, 08:29 AM
Bumped this thread.....

Just installed the dark KW flare last night. Rode up the street with no helmet up to 50 kph. Noticed the wind hitting the very top of my head. Any problems with wind hitting top of helmet?
Noticed some saying they don't like this.

Will try a ride today after the "honey do list"

bobbyf6b
04-19-2015, 02:10 PM
Bumped this thread.....

Just installed the dark KW flare last night. Rode up the street with no helmet up to 50 kph. Noticed the wind hitting the very top of my head. Any problems with wind hitting top of helmet?
Noticed some saying they don't like this.

Will try a ride today after the "honey do list"

I didn't mind the wind hitting the top of my head when I tried the KW shield, but the side wind noise was annoying compared to my other shields. If you are coming from a stock shield you probably won't be bothered by it though. I liked the shield but thought it was too short for me. I'm tempted to buy the GW version but I'm pretty happy with my Windbender.

crankshaft40
04-19-2015, 09:13 PM
They do have a taller version now for the f6.

bobbyf6b
04-19-2015, 10:29 PM
They do have a taller version now for the f6.

Damn. I didn't believe you but you're right! It's not dark smoke though. My wife will probably hurt me if I buy another one.

http://www.kustombaggers.com/Flare-Windshield-for-Honda-F6B-detail.htm?productId=-499149&browse=-49413&shopBy=-14067&catalogId=-1790

Old Ryder
04-20-2015, 07:06 AM
KW worked fine for me---but I got the Bagger Shield now and Madstad on the way. My OCD tells me I don't know what I like until I try everything. (It's not cheap being me :icon_frown:)