PDA

View Full Version : Rick Mayer Saddle, Got Mine Buiot Today

Bruce B
07-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Rode to Rick Mayer's (only 175 miles for me) today for a drive in appointment to have the saddle built.
I got the dual seat, meaning that the passenger seat was modified also, not merely recovered. The saddle was done in vinyl with the seating surfaces in the basketweave pattern. Rick also installed the Utopia backrest that I brought with me. Both the Utopia and the stock passenger backrest had the forward facing surfaces recovered in the basketweave. The appearance and workmanship exceeded expectations and I'm very satified with the comfort. Much better than the stock seat. That's saying a lot since the stock was, I think, much better than most stock seats. Rick says that over a few hundred miles the seat will adjust to my butt and comfort will get even better. He was a good guy to do business with. I'm a happy camper.

I'm including a few pictures that I took while still at Rick's shop. One is shot of Rick at work.

Mustangjake
07-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Very cool !! Let us know how it is after some miles.

F6B-RICH
07-06-2013, 09:54 PM
Looks good :thumb: Keep us informed as you get more miles on the seat.

Philbert40
07-06-2013, 10:36 PM
Hey Bruce....Seat looks really good. Rick is a good guy, and does great work. Enjoy the seat.:clap2:

Yeahoo Whoyah
07-07-2013, 12:47 AM
Bruce - Congratulations on the new saddle, looks great! :yes:

Lucky break your ride-in appointment coincided with the cooler temperatures!

micky_foccer
07-07-2013, 02:11 AM
Congrats on the new seat. Looks great.

MichaelG
07-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Congrats Bruce, on the new seat. I hope you and your butt will be happy for many miles to come.:icon_lol:

Philbert40
07-12-2013, 12:51 AM
Bruce you made me do it! I have a ride in appointment scheduled with Rick for 7/27/13. :excited:

MercuryF1
07-12-2013, 01:39 AM
How much did he charge?

Bruce B
07-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Bruce you made me do it! I have a ride in appointment scheduled with Rick for 7/27/13. :excited:

You're going to really like the seat, Phil. I hope you get some moderate temps for the ride. I lucked out. The temps the week I got my seat had been abut 113 all week. They dropped nicely for my Saturday appt. and were only 97 when I left Rick's place for the ride home.

Bruce B
07-12-2013, 11:00 AM
I got the "dual" seat which usually goes for $399. Because of the very large size of the seat, the F6B seat is an extra $125 for a total of $524. I believe that the solo version would be $444.

Rick installed the new Utopia backrest which I brought with me. He recovered both the Utopia backrest and the passenger backrest (front facing surfaces) to match the basketweave pattern used on the seat. The charges were $45 for the passenger backrest and $85 for the Utopia (recover and install).

Side note: My Utopia backrest is the extra cost, quick remove version so that I can remove it if I don't care to have it mounted for short, local, running around trips.

Scotrod
07-25-2013, 09:49 PM
It's hard to beat the saddles. I've had Russell Day-Longs (very similar to Ricks) on my last 2 bikes.
I tried all the 'off the shelf' big name seats first, but each time I ended up with RDL's as 'the solution'.
I promised myself on the next bike I wouldn't fiddle-fart around. Just get the RDL first and be done with it. :yes:

MichaelG
07-26-2013, 12:21 AM
It's hard to beat the saddles. I've had Russell Day-Longs (very similar to Ricks) on my last 2 bikes.
I tried all the 'off the shelf' big name seats first, but each time I ended up with RDL's as 'the solution'.
I promised myself on the next bike I wouldn't fiddle-fart around. Just get the RDL first and be done with it. :yes:

Scotrod, do you mean like this?

Scotrod
07-26-2013, 07:46 AM
That's what I'm talking about! :yes:
They aren't necessarily the most sleek/sexy seats made, but they are the best for comfort I've ever used!
THANKS for the pics!

MichaelG
07-26-2013, 08:05 AM
That's what I'm talking about! :yes:
They aren't necessarily the most sleek/sexy seats made, but they are the best for comfort I've ever used!
THANKS for the pics!

Scotrod, I agree with you on the looks factor, and was prepared to have it take away from the looks of the bike, if need be. This is my 11th seat from Russell Day-Long Saddles, and they know me quite well. Surprisingly, when they did bring the seat out, completed, it actually is the best looking seat they have ever done for me. If you noticed the automotive velour in the rider seating area, I "always" have them install the velour in the rider seating area, because it does not get hot in the summer time, and does not get cold in the winter time. It is the most comfortable seat to sit on, looks be damned, and this...my 11th from them, is the best seat they have made for me. :icon_mrgreen:

Scotrod
07-26-2013, 12:58 PM
One of the things I REALLY LIKE that draws me more towards the purchase of an F6B is the amount of seat 'real estate'. The sheer size of the seat adds rider support AND a RDL, by design, can easily 'fit' on the OEM pan without as much, well, 'difference' in overall size/shape.

I had a RDL rider and pillion on a VTX1800C. A VERY noticable difference in rider seat size/shape and the pillion was HUGE! (I called it the WOK!)

That 'Auto Velour' sounds like the ticket!!! Pretty darn hot down here. (Houston). I've had 'scalded butt' more times than I care to mention!! Gonna have to give that velour a try! Thanks!