PDA

View Full Version : Gear indicator mounted where it should be (IMO)

GiddyupF6B
02-20-2015, 08:16 PM
I've been going back and forth with the best way to do this. A lot of guys that have the GI Pro either stick it to the outside of the speedo plastic or behind the speaker grill. Here's what I came up with.......

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/bigdaddylachance/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-02/IMAG0439_BURST002_zpsenszwcu2.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/bigdaddylachance/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-02/IMAG0441_zpsgklvhxjz.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/bigdaddylachance/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-02/IMAG0446_BURST002_zpsrsgpliuu.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/bigdaddylachance/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-02/IMAG0448_BURST002_zpsau9lmyto.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/bigdaddylachance/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-02/IMAG0450_zps8gyqzprn.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb314/bigdaddylachance/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-02/IMAG0454_BURST001_zps7ylabxzi.jpg

Too damn cold to plug it in right now but hope to on Sunday. I had all the leds in my speedo changed to blue and this indicator is in blue so it should look pretty trick. I'll post some pics when it's all lit up......

Steve 0080
02-20-2015, 08:31 PM
Oh Hell No!!!!!!....... I need to be second !!!!

GiddyupF6B
02-20-2015, 08:40 PM
Oh Hell No!!!!!!....... I need to be second !!!!

:icon_mrgreen: Get it done! It took about 2 hours but my gauge was already out on the bench. Next is a custom install on a carbon fiber volt meter, probably Sunday...I love figuring out stuff like this....

bigbird
02-20-2015, 08:45 PM
Mine's going behind the left speaker grille up by the tweeter.
I'm just waiting for warmer weather, as the engine needs to be started for calibration. Too cold in my garage to start her up. It will be the last mod I do before riding season.
I commend you for your initiative.
I don't have the time or patience to attempt what you're doing.
I'm sure it will look great.

53driver
02-20-2015, 08:49 PM
Okay...a "Gear Indicator" lets me know if my wheels are in the Up or Down position. Not an option on the F6B. So..what are we indicating?

bigbird
02-20-2015, 08:51 PM
http://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/gpds/

Steve 0080
02-20-2015, 09:44 PM
:icon_mrgreen: Get it done! It took about 2 hours but my gauge was already out on the bench. Next is a custom install on a carbon fiber volt meter, probably Sunday...I love figuring out stuff like this....

Great Add On..... Proud for you...passed my ability !!!

Cool Hand Luke
02-20-2015, 09:53 PM
Excellent find, thanks for posting!

How difficult is it to install, where is the plug in port on F6B? How much tupperware needs to be removed to plug it in?

Thanks!

GiddyupF6B
02-20-2015, 10:09 PM
Great Add On..... Proud for you...passed my ability !!!
Thanks bro!

Excellent find, thanks for posting!

How difficult is it to install, where is the plug in port on F6B? How much tupperware needs to be removed to plug it in?

Thanks!

Hard to say how difficult it is...if you have basic wrenching skills and a lot of patience it's not difficult at all. Take your time, go slow and a couple hours later you're there. You have to remove the seat and left side panels. It's plug and play directly under the seat.

Cool Hand Luke
02-20-2015, 10:13 PM
Thanks bro!

Hard to say how difficult it is...if you have basic wrenching skills and a lot of patience it's not difficult at all. Take your time, go slow and a couple hours later you're there. You have to remove the seat and left side panels. It's plug and play directly under the seat.

Thank you, that's what I was looking for.

I also want to say I'm happy this was finally a useful post on this forum. I'm bored reading about weather, Florida boys, climate changes, etc., things that have absolutely nothing to do with F6B.

GiddyupF6B
02-20-2015, 10:17 PM
Thank you, that's what I was looking for.

I also want to say I'm happy this was finally a useful post on this forum. I'm bored reading about weather, Florida boys, climate changes, etc., things that have absolutely nothing to do with F6B.
I'll have some more custom F6B install stuff from "Giddy's corner" soon. A lot of fun stuff will be done to my scooter over the next 30 days. I'm most excited about trying out my reflashed Ecu! I'm hoping to be pulling the front wheel up and smoking tire off the line! :shock:

1BADF6B
02-20-2015, 10:54 PM
Okay...a "Gear Indicator" lets me know if my wheels are in the Up or Down position. Not an option on the F6B. So..what are we indicating?

I guess its for those of us that dont wanna count. Lol I have not had a need for it but then again never had it on any of my bikes. I guess riding in the dirt for so many years I dont have a need for one. Might be a cool option.

Deer Slayer
02-21-2015, 09:26 AM
I am just too damn old. Good tunes, curves, just rite exhaust. No indicator required. :poke::workout:

Hornblower
02-21-2015, 10:08 AM
I tend to agree with DS on this. There are times a gear indicator might come in handy but the OD light, for me, reduces the need.

Steve 0080
02-21-2015, 10:14 AM
Hey ! it is a pretty flashing light...Why not !!!

srt8-in-largo
02-21-2015, 01:13 PM
Nicely done!

I still want to get this but I'll likely end up making my own; something that fits on the bike even more subtly and OEM looking.

A gear indicator would definitely help in those times when you're aggressively approaching a bend and you need to downshift quickly. Most times you know exactly what gear you're flipping into, but many times your attention is diverted and you lose track. I HATE having to guess if the next click is 2nd or 3rd...

GiddyupF6B
02-21-2015, 02:01 PM
I always made fun of my riding buddies that had them, I didn't see the need. I put one on my last bike and now I use it regularly. It's the kind of thing I didn't think I needed until I had one........I probably ride a lot more aggressively I'm guessing than the guys above that don't see the need for one. It's not necessary but it's a valuable resource riding the twisty back roads that I frequent. Plus it's just damn cool.......:biggthumpup:

edgeman55
02-21-2015, 04:00 PM
I thought that what the tach was for?When you get near redline you need to shift! Otherwise very nice install of a new lighted goody.

Cool Hand Luke
02-21-2015, 04:07 PM
Nicely done!

I still want to get this but I'll likely end up making my own; something that fits on the bike even more subtly and OEM looking.

A gear indicator would definitely help in those times when you're aggressively approaching a bend and you need to downshift quickly. Most times you know exactly what gear you're flipping into, but many times your attention is diverted and you lose track. I HATE having to guess if the next click is 2nd or 3rd...

I agree. Once you have it you'll understand, I had it on my BMW K1200LT and I always wondered how come GW doesn't include it as well. Of course you can go without it, but it makes life easier.

bigbird
02-21-2015, 04:32 PM
I thought that what the tach was for?When you get near redline you need to shift! Otherwise very nice install of a new lighted goody.

It's all about the downshifting.
When you're busy absorbing all the inputs required to slow down or stop, the tach and speedo may not be at the top of the list. Seeing a lighted number up high in your field of vision at least tells you what gear you're in. Nothing worse than thinking you are in a gear higher than you actually are, blip the throttle, let out the clutch, engine suddenly compression brakes, and that could have ended nastily. With that gear indicator, you don't need to compare the tach and speedo to mentally compute your gear.

terrydj
02-24-2015, 01:19 AM
Anyone got a link for one that's just a plug in?????? and not worth a zillion and its small :icon_cool:

GiddyupF6B
02-24-2015, 09:36 AM
Anyone got a link for one that's just a plug in?????? and not worth a zillion and its small :icon_cool:

This one is plug and play, it's also the smallest one you can get. The price is $159 for it which I don't think is too bad....

bobbyf6b
02-24-2015, 10:07 AM
тнaт'ѕ a cool opтιon вυт ι'м ѕυre glad we нave a rev lιмιтer. ι нιт ιт ιn 4тн yeѕтerday. oopѕ, вeттer υp ѕнιғт. :icon_lol:

GiddyupF6B
02-24-2015, 10:42 AM
тнaт'ѕ a cool opтιon вυт ι'м ѕυre glad we нave a rev lιмιтer. ι нιт ιт ιn 4тн yeѕтerday. oopѕ, вeттer υp ѕнιғт. :icon_lol:

Yeah that happens...I've bounced off of mine a few times! My rev limiter has been raised 400 rpm in each gear so I can't wait to bounce off it again!

srt8-in-largo
02-24-2015, 11:43 AM
Yeah that happens...I've bounced off of mine a few times! My rev limiter has been raised 400 rpm in each gear so I can't wait to bounce off it again!

There's no benefit to raised rev limits on this motor; you're actually hurting performance. Power takes a nose dive after about 6k RPM.

GiddyupF6B
02-24-2015, 12:36 PM
There's no benefit to raised rev limits on this motor; you're actually hurting performance. Power takes a nose dive after about 6k RPM.

That's true on the stock map...I'm not sure where the power drops off with the the new mapping honestly. I know that Don Guhl knows a tremendous amount more about tuning bikes than I do so there must be a reason the stage 3 tune has the limiter raised. I don't intentionally hit the limiter ever so it's really a moot point for me.

Steve 0080
02-25-2015, 05:37 PM
Mine is in the mail, went with the red, a VERY exuberant young lady said it was best in the sun light !!!... Rick's lighting, oil change, move windshield down, get trailer ready to head South to Key West !!!

bigbird
02-25-2015, 08:41 PM
Mine is in the mail, went with the red, a VERY exuberant young lady said it was best in the sun light !!!

I have the red LED as well. Everything I read said that red was the only colour that didn't wash out in bright sunlight.

Steve 0080
03-01-2015, 06:37 PM
This is on another post but thought I would put it here as well....

I purchased a set of MLB Risers from a board member a while back, I was waiting for a reason to take the front end apart...the GIPro came along thanks to GiddyupF6B, Here is his thread,http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?4...hould-be-(IMO), Rick sent the dash lights but the USPS was a little slow so the bike is still apart for those, and also did a oil change for good measure !!!

Everything installed, and checked out!... The GIPro is pretty cool...easy to program, it does take some effort to install it the way GiddyupF6B did which to me looks the best so I copied him, ( thanks for the advice, as well !!! ) not that big of a deal, I used a dermal tool to notch out a path for the wire, took the left side of the shelter loose to get the wire back to the connection port... See pics.... other than that...looks like spring is coming to the South East so you fellas in the north should be thawing out soon!!!

Steve 0080
03-05-2015, 09:07 PM
Put 100 miles on the bike today...the gear indicator was perfect !!!! Only issue for me is when the clutch is in/ banging down gears ....there is no gear indicated !!! Only shows a gear when the clutch is out .... If you do this and put it where GiddyupF6B did...put it as close to the high beam light/even touching as possible !!!!

willtill
09-23-2015, 05:11 PM
Put 100 miles on the bike today...the gear indicator was perfect !!!! Only issue for me is when the clutch is in/ banging down gears ....there is no gear indicated !!! Only shows a gear when the clutch is out .... If you do this and put it where GiddyupF6B did...put it as close to the high beam light/even touching as possible !!!!

I would have to mount it somewhere else. Because if I put it next to the High Beam indicator; it's going to cover the Cruise Control indicator.

Can this GI Pro gear indicator be mounted behind the plastic; between the Speedometer and either the Tach; or fuel\temp gauge clusters? Is there enough space between the clear plastic and the surface of the instrument panel behind it; to position this GI Pro indicator

Steve 0080
09-23-2015, 07:46 PM
Not sure, you would have to pull the cover and look/try...some have put the GI inside the speaker cover, one has it stuck to the side of the cover opposite of the odometer ... look around and see where YOU want it...as long as you can see it at a glance you should be fine...

willtill
09-23-2015, 08:24 PM
Not sure, you would have to pull the cover and look/try...some have put the GI inside the speaker cover, one has it stuck to the side of the cover opposite of the odometer ... look around and see where YOU want it...as long as you can see it at a glance you should be fine...

10-4 :yes:

Ordered a red one tonight. :icon_wink:

willtill
09-24-2015, 02:06 AM
Have insomnia so just posting a little more... don't think that I'll be able to mount it behind the plastic instrument panel as I wanted to; there's not going to be enough room between the instrument bezels:

(example Pic below... stolen from GiddyupF6b's post):

http://i60.tinypic.com/99mphw.jpg

Once I have the little gizmo in hand; it'll be better for me to actually figure it out. Must wait. And try to get some sleep.

GiddyupF6B
09-24-2015, 07:50 AM
If I remember correctly where I have it was the only option. Any other location either interferes with the needle movement, covers up an indicator light, or the cover won't fit right.

willtill
09-24-2015, 08:17 AM
If I remember correctly where I have it was the only option. Any other location either interferes with the needle movement, covers up an indicator light, or the cover won't fit right.

If that is the case then; then I will probably mount it behind either the left or right front speaker grill. I hope it is as visible through the speaker grill; in bright daylight. I did order the red one; rumored to be the brightest.

Hornblower
09-24-2015, 08:21 AM
Another mount location idea...

This works fine for me. It was easy and I attached with 3M Dual Lock for easy removal.

willtill
09-24-2015, 08:26 AM
Another mount location idea...

This works fine for me. It was easy and I attached with 3M Dual Lock for easy removal.

It's nice that it's small enough; to almost attach anywhere. :yes:

Oh btw.. I was curious as to how much I have spent on this bike for accessories/farkles since the short time I have had it. Just got done going through my last two credit card statements.

$1,893.00 so far.... :shock:

This board is a VERY BAD influence on my discretionary spending. I need an intervention. :icon_lol:

RickJ
09-24-2015, 08:51 AM
It's nice that it's small enough; to almost attach anywhere. :yes:

Oh btw.. I was curious as to how much I have spent on this bike for accessories/farkles since the short time I have had it. Just got done going through my last two credit card statements.

$1,893.00 so far.... :shock:

This board is a VERY BAD influence on my discretionary spending. I need an intervention. :icon_lol:

"Hi, My name is Will, and I'm a Farkaholic"

Steve 0080
09-24-2015, 10:20 PM
$1,893.00 so far....

This board is a VERY BAD influence on my discretionary spending. I need an intervention.

Well your just a pup.... when you pass $6,288.36, ( to date ) let me know... this does not include a trailer or anything trailer, or tires or maintenance I preform.... I may have to die with this bike to use all the money invested .....

ths61
09-24-2015, 10:32 PM
$1,893.00 so far....

This board is a VERY BAD influence on my discretionary spending. I need an intervention.

Well your just a pup.... when you pass $6,288.36, ( to date ) let me know... this does not include a trailer or anything trailer, or tires or maintenance I preform.... I may have to die with this bike to use all the money invested .....

You know, they do make dual purpose furniture to save money in the long run. :yikes:

http://www.churchofhalloween.com/wp-content/posts/main-street-caskets.png

http://randommization.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/coffin-tanning-bed.jpg

willtill
09-26-2015, 12:23 PM
USPS delivered my GiPro today; fast shipping on the part of the vendor :yes:

So I want to mount this thing inside the speaker housing of my left front speaker; towards the 2 o'clock position behind the speaker screen.

How much of the bike do I need to tear apart; to get it in there? (Don't have a repair manual yet).

I know I'll have to remove the darned seat; and most likely the valance over the ignition switch/instruments. Is that enough to route the GiPro cable from the seat area to the speaker grill?

Do I have to remove the entire top shelter to do this? :shock:

Any tips to remove that instrument valance and anything else? Don't want to break any plastic.

Steve 0080
09-26-2015, 01:51 PM
Seat, maybe around key, the speaker section...START FROM THE FRONT and go to the back, to run the wire...really no big deal...

willtill
09-26-2015, 02:37 PM
Seat, maybe around key, the speaker section...START FROM THE FRONT and go to the back, to rune the wire...really no big deal...

Steve;

Any tips to remove that instrument valance and anything else? Don't want to break any plastic.

willtill
09-26-2015, 04:15 PM
Never mind.. I figured it out. :yes:

Bike is in pieces again. :icon_lol:

http://i57.tinypic.com/vovo8g.jpg

Found the red diagnostics connector in the wire bundle, behind the relays. Tested the GiPro, and it works:

http://i60.tinypic.com/14xjl29.jpg

willtill
09-26-2015, 06:26 PM
Got 'er dun !!! :yes: :yes:

http://i59.tinypic.com/33ygwt5.jpg

Got it mounted behind the left speaker screen, and programming the GiPro was very quick too. :icon_cool:

The GiPro is much brighter in gear presentation through the speaker screen.. I just can't get this damned camera to capture it.

The hardest part of this install.. was running trying to run the GiPro wire lead behind the mid-frame of the bike... but I eventually succeeded.

Will see how it looks in this location tomorrow when the sun is out. But the Red LED readout is pretty bright. If not; I left enough slack in the GiPro wire lead under the left side cubby hole; to re-position it if necessary.

And I am HAPPY to report that I did not have to fight with my seat mounting bolts this time. I fought with them last time (first time removing seat from bike) and when I put it back on then... I used anti-seize on them. This time... it paid off for the seat re-install :icon_wink:

Steve 0080
09-26-2015, 06:29 PM
Some folks laugh at these...but we don't shift into 6th anymore !!!!

willtill
09-26-2015, 06:37 PM
Some folks laugh at these...but we don't shift into 6th anymore !!!!

This bike has a lot of torque and when using it; it is all too common to be in a higher gear and forget about it.

I mostly have issues (at times) with 2nd thru fourth gears; because I forget if I'm in 3rd or 4th sometimes. This will help A LOT !!!

Baytown
09-27-2015, 07:39 PM
Totally agree.
I wish the dash lights (i.e OD, cruise etc) were a lot brighter. Can barely see them in direct sunlight.
I wonder if there is an LED fix for this?
Im going to mount my gear indicatorexactly as you did once it arrive.
Thanks for the great thread everyone.
Ride safe.
Ken

willtill
09-28-2015, 06:12 AM
This may help a little when you install it:

1. Remove seat
2. Remove both left side covers
3. Remove left side trim
4. Remove left side cubby hole box
5. Remove left side radio control unit (no need to totally disconnect it)
6. Remove instrument valance (pull up on it near ignition key; then pull out from dash - no need to disconnect tweeters)

Run GiPro plug end along Red dotted path. Difficult part was getting it to run behind the middle frame (Fushia arrow). Space is tight there; but you will eventually see a gap near that rubber hose where you can get it to thread through.

Once you thread the cable behind the frame; your going to want to remove the bolt (Green arrow) holding the gas tank down. Just gently pry the bracket up to get the GiPro wire behind it. Then replace bolt and tighten down.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2zfinn5.jpg

Baytown
10-01-2015, 03:47 AM
Thanks mate.
Gold! Bought one today online, just to wait for it now. I'll also instal a battery charge Powerlet port and wire the forward USB plug while I have the bike dismantled.
Thank you again.
Ken

Baytown
10-07-2015, 01:03 AM
G'day Will.
Did you manage to take your bike out in the sunlighyet? How visible is the gear indication in the speaker box?
My GiPro arrived today and I plan to fit it tomorrow or Friday.
Thanks for any recommendations.
Best wishes Will.
Ken

This may help a little when you install it:

1. Remove seat
2. Remove both left side covers
3. Remove left side trim
4. Remove left side cubby hole box
5. Remove left side radio control unit (no need to totally disconnect it)
6. Remove instrument valance (pull up on it near ignition key; then pull out from dash - no need to disconnect tweeters)

Run GiPro plug end along Red dotted path. Difficult part was getting it to run behind the middle frame (Fushia arrow). Space is tight there; but you will eventually see a gap near that rubber hose where you can get it to thread through.

Once you thread the cable behind the frame; your going to want to remove the bolt (Green arrow) holding the gas tank down. Just gently pry the bracket up to get the GiPro wire behind it. Then replace bolt and tighten down.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2zfinn5.jpg

willtill
10-07-2015, 06:37 AM
G'day Will.
Did you manage to take your bike out in the sunlighyet? How visible is the gear indication in the speaker box?
My GiPro arrived today and I plan to fit it tomorrow or Friday.
Thanks for any recommendations.
Best wishes Will.
Ken

Hi Ken,

Yes, I have had my bike out several times since installing the GiPro behind the speaker screen. The Red LED is visible through the screen; in bright sunlight. You can't miss it. You will see.

(If) you mount it behind the screen and later change your mind; there's enough cable (slack) where you can just pop off the instrument bevel cover and re-position the GiPro elsewhere; such as how HornBlower has done his; by adhering it to the inside of the upper right area of the left fork well (post #37 of this thread).

I also used 3m double sided tape; because the tape supplied with the GiPro didn't seem strong and/or thick enough.

Baytown
10-13-2015, 05:17 AM
Thanks for your assistance with this install Will.
I did everything as per your suggestions and diagrams.
Easy programming, and works flawlessly. Looks great in the left speaker pod, and not sticking out. Very easy to see and now I know what gear Im in.
All in all, a great mod.
Best wishes mate.
Ken

willtill
10-13-2015, 06:24 AM
Thanks for your assistance with this install Will.
I did everything as per your suggestions and diagrams.
Easy programming, and works flawlessly. Looks great in the left speaker pod, and not sticking out. Very easy to see and now I know what gear Im in.
All in all, a great mod.
Best wishes mate.
Ken

My pleasure! Glad it helped ya! :yes: :yes: