PDA

View Full Version : snow birds

vstar09
02-21-2015, 09:44 PM
Hey any snow birds out there that go south for the winter...? Im gonna retire next year thinking about buying a toy hauler and going south for the winter....Can't take these Ohio winters anymore.....! Sugestions...places to stay...? Florida or the south east is my choice....Ideas...?

1BADF6B
02-21-2015, 09:49 PM
Gets to damn hot in Florida. My dad lives down there, between the heat and the damn love bugs it sucks. Just my opinion. The wife and I are South Carolina bound within the next 2 years.

vstar09
02-21-2015, 10:06 PM
hows the weather...?

1BADF6B
02-21-2015, 10:08 PM
In Carolina its pretty nice. Gets a little chilly but nothing like here in NY

tinknocker
02-21-2015, 11:17 PM
damn vstar you're reading my mind...still several years off but the wife and I went to the rv show today and checked out some new toy haulers to replace our bunk house.

Steve 0080
02-22-2015, 10:50 AM
Yes FLA is hot and yes some idiot let some love bugs out at UF...but...from Oct 1 thru April 1...near perfect with a couple of chilly days !!! FLA holds as much as anyone would want to see and go, from the Theme Parks, to beaches, caves, forests and hunting and fishing till you get tired..Please stop banging FLA...your state, if someone were so inclined could find things equaling non appealing ... just sayin

bigbird
02-22-2015, 11:05 AM
I've been to FL many times in the winter over the years, from stays of 2 weeks to 6 weeks. My favourite area is the St. Pete Beach area, stretching from Clearwater in the north to Sarasota in the south. It's not particularly expensive and quite laid back. Traffic does get bad from February on. There are lots of winter condo rentals right on the beach. You can have the Miami side. It's warmer over there (especially the ocean), but way too much congestion and nonsense for me from Ft. Lauderdale south.

53driver
02-22-2015, 11:41 AM
Oh yeah - I remember those things...all over the front of my K5 Blazer.

What's the best preventative for those sticking everywhere? Besides abstinence....

SoCal Rich
02-22-2015, 12:03 PM
You don't want to hear about the weather here in SoCal. Year round riding.

53driver
02-22-2015, 12:24 PM
You don't want to hear about the weather here in SoCal. Year round riding.

Been there...done that. Lived in Pacific Beach. Mowed my yard Christmas day one year.....

bob109
02-22-2015, 12:50 PM
I immensely enjoy "snow birding"! I look with anticipation for each October when I button up my Northern Residence and begin my migration south. Citra, Florida then becomes my winter residence. North Central Florida provides some great cycling roads and scenes through "horse country". I always enjoy stopping at a local Lowe's or Home Depot where not a single "snow blower", "snow shovel" or "rock salt" can be found:icon_lol: Yes I do experience several days which can start out in the mid 20's but by noon things are warm enough to ride with "chaps".

Mobility, IMHO, is the key to enjoying ones retirement. I haul my 6 in my 6'X12' enclosed trailer. No car required. If it rains I don my "wet suit" and I'm on my way:icon_lol:

I was intent on buying a used Diesel Pusher Motor Home and found a really clean unit with low miles. A private seller who I haggled with and bought for a good price. There are many, many used camping units i.e. tag alongs, fifth wheels and gas and diesel units both A and B models for great prices. Know in advance what you want and do your searching and you'll find just the unit to fit your needs:039:

Here's a pic of my 2001.5 Discovery with a 330 Cat Diesel.

Retired Army
02-22-2015, 12:52 PM
Gets to damn hot in Florida. My dad lives down there, between the heat and the damn love bugs it sucks. Just my opinion. The wife and I are South Carolina bound within the next 2 years.

You don't have to shovel heat. :icon_mrgreen:

ReserveBum
02-22-2015, 03:07 PM
Tired of listening to the wife bitch about the winter year after year. After this one, I am agreeing with her. So, took a trip to Myrtle Beach last month...thats not the place for me. Lived in Sumter SC some years back and that not the place either. Been to FL but not a big fan (ok to visit but have not found a place there that I really like). So, I booked a week in TN later this summer between Knoxville and Nashville and gonna check that out. From what I understand, the taxes are reasonable and its close enough to the mountains for me. We will see.....

53driver
02-22-2015, 03:17 PM
Tired of listening to the wife bitch about the winter year after year. After this one, I am agreeing with her. So, took a trip to Myrtle Beach last month...thats not the place for me. Lived in Sumter SC some years back and that not the place either. Been to FL but not a big fan (ok to visit but have not found a place there that I really like). So, I booked a week in TN later this summer between Knoxville and Nashville and gonna check that out. From what I understand, the taxes are reasonable and its close enough to the mountains for me. We will see.....

Not sure about TN...but find a state that doesn't tax your military pension.

terrydj
02-22-2015, 03:30 PM
Move to wear you can enjoy life
I live in Queensland on the Gold Coast
It does rain, up to 12" or more a day?
And it does get windy, Cyclones up North
And in summer their is a bit of humidity, up to 100%
But everyday you can do what you want in Shorts and a shirt
The Temperatures are in Celsius.
So double the temperature and add 30 :icon_cool:

Statistics Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual
Mean maximum temperature (°C)
28.7 28.6 27.8 25.9 23.4 21.3 21.1 21.9 23.9 25.3 26.7 27.8

Mean minimum temperature (°C)
21.8 21.8 20.7 18.3 15.3 13.1 12.0 12.5 14.8 16.9 18.9 20.5

ReserveBum
02-22-2015, 05:17 PM
Not sure about TN...but find a state that doesn't tax your military pension.
I had looked into that....
States with No Income Tax

At the top of the list are the nine states that have no state income tax at all. By default, military retirement pay is completely exempt from tax. These states are:

Alaska
Florida
Nevada
New Hampshire
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Washington
Wyoming

Note: New Hampshire and Tennessee both tax interest and dividends. For most taxpayers, however, this would constitute a relatively small portion of total income.

Read more: http://www.rapidtax.com/blog/states-that-dont-tax-military-retirement-pay/#ixzz3SVyhCVtO

53driver
02-22-2015, 05:36 PM
...roger.

vstar09
02-22-2015, 09:55 PM
I plan on buying a 24-30 foot toy hauler I can haul with my f150....with the F6 in the back,Mid state central Flordia...nice reasonable RV park would be cool...I'd like to go Jan- mid March....any ideas...?

Steve 0080
02-22-2015, 10:16 PM
I plan on buying a 24-30 foot toy hauler I can haul with my f150....with the F6 in the back,Mid state central Flordia...nice reasonable RV park would be cool...I'd like to go Jan- mid March....any ideas...?

Your gonna need a bigger truck...dually !!!

vstar09
02-22-2015, 11:07 PM
Na.....It can tow 8000 lbs with the v8 and 4x4....looking at lite weight toy haulers

bob109
02-22-2015, 11:40 PM
Na.....It can tow 8000 lbs with the v8 and 4x4....looking at lite weight toy haulers

Think of at least 330hp with 860 ft lbs ft of torque at a minimum or you'll be pissing into the wind. If that V8 isn't diesel you'll be exiting retirement and returning to full time employment to pay for fuel.

Big Jay
02-22-2015, 11:55 PM
I just got a 28' toy hauler Friday it's fairly light at 6970 dry weight then add 850 or so for the B . my f150 is rated to tow 9000 though. There are some lighter toy haulers out there. You should be fine as long as you don't go over your tow rating when your fully loaded.

vstar09
02-23-2015, 12:01 AM
Thanks Big Jay...what kinda a hauler did you get....?

Big Jay
02-23-2015, 12:05 AM
It's the Energy by Keystone. not real fancy but it has every thing we wanted.

bob109
02-23-2015, 12:07 AM
I just got a 28' toy hauler Friday it's fairly light at 6970 dry weight then add 850 or so for the B . my f150 is rated to tow 9000 though. There are some lighter toy haulers out there. You should be fine as long as you don't go over your tow rating when your fully loaded.

When you fully equip your Toy Hauler with all the goodies you'll need to survive, your first stop should be a "Certified Cat Scale" which is usually available at any major truck stop i.e. Flying J, Petro etc. I'll assure you you'll get a big surprise as to what your total GVW is. You'll need the total weight for tire air pressure requirements for both your tow vehicle and trailer to assure you not blowing tires due to under inflation:icon_wink:

Big Jay
02-23-2015, 12:15 AM
When you fully equip your Toy Hauler with all the goodies you'll need to survive, your first stop should be a "Certified Cat Scale" which is usually available at any major truck stop i.e. Flying J, Petro etc. I'll assure you you'll get a big surprise as to what your total GVW is. You'll need the total weight for air pressure requirements for both your tow vehicle and trailer to assure you not blowing tires due to under inflation:icon_wink:

There is a weigh station just down the road and will be my 2nd stop when it's all loaded up, first stop is the gas station :icon_biggrin: .

Steve 0080
02-23-2015, 08:29 AM
I am on the older side and I was taught that the tow vehicle should weigh the same or more than the trailer....what you are trying can be done, but with a special anti sway hitch, air bags and some more...just saying...you need to be safe or the trailer will drive the truck and then pass it!!!!! I use this and have not had a problem...but it weighs 9000#, has air bags for the big loads and does not give a shit !!! P.S. likes diesel when pulling the big ones also.

Navvet
02-23-2015, 09:36 AM
States with No Income Tax

At the top of the list are the nine states that have no state income tax at all. By default, military retirement pay is completely exempt from tax. These states are:

Alaska
Florida
Nevada
New Hampshire
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Washington
Wyoming

Note: New Hampshire and Tennessee both tax interest and dividends. For most taxpayers, however, this would constitute a relatively small portion of total income.

Read more: http://www.rapidtax.com/blog/states-that-dont-tax-military-retirement-pay/#ixzz3SVyhCVtO

In North Carolina ......

"As a result of the North Carolina Supreme Court's decision in Bailey v. State of North Carolina, North Carolina may not tax certain retirement benefits received by retirees of the State of North Carolina and its local government or by the United States government retirees (including military) for each retirement plan if the retiree has five or more years of creditable service as of August 12, 1989 "

So most of you silver hair'd gents (and ladies) with your military / government pension will find it tax free here .....

2bikemike
02-23-2015, 02:07 PM
Thanks Big Jay...what kinda a hauler did you get....?

I'm looking at the forest river xlr hyperlite 29HFS. It has a nice floor plan weighs 6750 with 1K tounge weight. So far RV nation out of ohio has had the best prices.

vstar09
02-23-2015, 11:59 PM
Citrus County Florida.....anyone know it....? Looks like a nice place to winter and be able to ride.....?

Steve 0080
02-24-2015, 12:26 AM
Bob109 is a snowbird there !!! Very pretty, horse country !!! Big $$$..Plenty of camping!!!

bob109
02-24-2015, 06:39 AM
Bob109 is a snowbird there !!! Very pretty, horse country !!! Big $$$..Plenty of camping!!!

Close but no cigar Steve:icon_biggrin: Town of Citra is in Marion County and includes the Towns of Orange Lake, Reddick, Anthony, Martin, MacIntosh and Micanopey. There a several major campgrounds and the motorcycle riding is fabulous IMHO.

I'm unsure where Citra County is located but I'm about to look it up:icon_wink:

bob109
02-24-2015, 06:50 AM
Citrus County Florida.....anyone know it....? Looks like a nice place to winter and be able to ride.....?

Citrus County is located on the Gulf Coast surrounded by the Counties of Levy, Marion, Sumter and Hernando. A great area with one of Florida's premier campground, "Rock Crusher". There are others too numerous to mention but a good search will add a broad list. Lots to do with great Restaurants and shopping:039:

vstar09
02-24-2015, 08:00 PM
Thanks for all the info....I think Im gonna have to check this area of Florida out as a place to go for the cold winter months...Looks like a lot of good places to park an RV and have some good riding near by