PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating F6B Purchase -- Advice Needed!

Riknchar
02-22-2015, 03:09 PM
Hello forum members! I've been lurking on this forum for the past couple of weeks while I've been actively contemplating purchasing an F6B. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger, but wanted to solicit some advice from F6B owners...

Here's my story: I owned a 2003 GL1800 for 4 years and loved it dearly. However, I really couldn't get my wife to ride with me, so I sold the Goldwing last year to help finance a convertible car purchase (wife likes that much better). However, I've missed my GL1800 ever since I sold, and started looking for good deals on used Wings a while back to "get back into the game." I discovered the F6Bs and immediately fell in love with the more youthful styling and overall "vibe" of the bike. I also found that there are still quite a few leftover 2013 F6Bs around, with a going rate of around $14,995 with all the rebates and discounts (pretty amazing!).

From reading posts on this forum, I've discovered the weak paint problem, and from looking at a new black F6B at the local dealer, I was definitely able to detect lots of swirls and paint issues. So that is pushing me in the direction of a red F6B, which is also available at my local dealer as a brand new leftover 2013 for $14,995.

I was about to pull the trigger when I noticed the local dealer ALSO had leftover new 2014 Goldwing Valkyrie's for sale for an amazing price ($11,199!). This put me off the F6B track for a while, as I researched the Valkyries and tried to determine if I could make one of them work for me. I loved the blue color and the overall "mean" look of the "naked" Wing, but in the end, I've decided that by the time I added the tall windshield (which I'm not that crazy about, but would be necessary), the passenger backrest, and some saddlebags, I'd be pretty close to the price of the F6B (and I'd be missing a stereo and fairing).

So I was about to pull the trigger on the new 2013 Base model F6B (couldn't find any of the Deluxe models available in my area) when the dealer mentioned he had just taken a used red 2013 F6B Deluxe in on trade. He showed me the bike, which was immaculate, and I was happy to see the previous owner had added a Throttlemeister throttle lock and some nice highway pegs (both things I'd want to do anyway). The bike has 7K miles at this point, and has a little over a year left on the original factory warranty. The dealer has a great relationship with the previous owner, and said he was extremely meticulous with how he took care of his bikes (which confirmed how nice the bike looked). The dealer's first offer was to sell the used F6B for $14000, but I had a feeling there might be a bit more wiggle room in that deal.

My questions:

1. Would it make more sense to purchase the brand new (with 4-year warranty) F6B (non-Deluxe) and spend the money to add the passenger backrest ($350?), highway pegs ($250?), center stand, taller windshield, etc.? Total would probably come to around $16K with all the extras, but I'd be able to use the Honda 1.9% financing for 36 months, which would be nice.

2. Or should I just go for the used 2013 F6B Deluxe which is already set up pretty much how I'd like it (I'd probably just add a bit taller of a windshield)? If this route makes more sense, any advice on what a good price would be for me to offer the dealer on a used model? He realizes his main competition is the new leftover 2013s with the full warranty... Downside to this route is the slightly worn tires, less warranty remaining, and higher rate financing (probably around 4-5%).

3. Or are there any out there who think I should go the Valkyrie route at the amazing low price of $11,199 (this probably is the best actual "deal" to be found, but I'm just not sure I'd be happy with the bike).

Thanks for any advice anyone would like to offer!

Rick

opas ride
02-22-2015, 03:43 PM
Hello forum members! I've been lurking on this forum for the past couple of weeks while I've been actively contemplating purchasing an F6B. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger, but wanted to solicit some advice from F6B owners...

Here's my story: I owned a 2003 GL1800 for 4 years and loved it dearly. However, I really couldn't get my wife to ride with me, so I sold the Goldwing last year to help finance a convertible car purchase (wife likes that much better). However, I've missed my GL1800 ever since I sold, and started looking for good deals on used Wings a while back to "get back into the game." I discovered the F6Bs and immediately fell in love with the more youthful styling and overall "vibe" of the bike. I also found that there are still quite a few leftover 2013 F6Bs around, with a going rate of around $14,995 with all the rebates and discounts (pretty amazing!).

From reading posts on this forum, I've discovered the weak paint problem, and from looking at a new black F6B at the local dealer, I was definitely able to detect lots of swirls and paint issues. So that is pushing me in the direction of a red F6B, which is also available at my local dealer as a brand new leftover 2013 for $14,995.

I was about to pull the trigger when I noticed the local dealer ALSO had leftover new 2014 Goldwing Valkyrie's for sale for an amazing price ($11,199!). This put me off the F6B track for a while, as I researched the Valkyries and tried to determine if I could make one of them work for me. I loved the blue color and the overall "mean" look of the "naked" Wing, but in the end, I've decided that by the time I added the tall windshield (which I'm not that crazy about, but would be necessary), the passenger backrest, and some saddlebags, I'd be pretty close to the price of the F6B (and I'd be missing a stereo and fairing).

So I was about to pull the trigger on the new 2013 Base model F6B (couldn't find any of the Deluxe models available in my area) when the dealer mentioned he had just taken a used red 2013 F6B Deluxe in on trade. He showed me the bike, which was immaculate, and I was happy to see the previous owner had added a Throttlemeister throttle lock and some nice highway pegs (both things I'd want to do anyway). The bike has 7K miles at this point, and has a little over a year left on the original factory warranty. The dealer has a great relationship with the previous owner, and said he was extremely meticulous with how he took care of his bikes (which confirmed how nice the bike looked). The dealer's first offer was to sell the used F6B for $14000, but I had a feeling there might be a bit more wiggle room in that deal.

My questions:

1. Would it make more sense to purchase the brand new (with 4-year warranty) F6B (non-Deluxe) and spend the money to add the passenger backrest ($350?), highway pegs ($250?), center stand, taller windshield, etc.? Total would probably come to around $16K with all the extras, but I'd be able to use the Honda 1.9% financing for 36 months, which would be nice.

2. Or should I just go for the used 2013 F6B Deluxe which is already set up pretty much how I'd like it (I'd probably just add a bit taller of a windshield)? If this route makes more sense, any advice on what a good price would be for me to offer the dealer on a used model? He realizes his main competition is the new leftover 2013s with the full warranty... Downside to this route is the slightly worn tires, less warranty remaining, and higher rate financing (probably around 4-5%).

3. Or are there any out there who think I should go the Valkyrie route at the amazing low price of $11,199 (this probably is the best actual "deal" to be found, but I'm just not sure I'd be happy with the bike).

Rick
Your call as your the one that will own and ride the bike...If your going to keep it for a while I would probably go for the new one, pay what you best deal is and enjoy this great bike....If your going to change bikes soon, the used one may be the best deal financially, but maybe not what you really want....I would not buy the Valkyrie for the reasons you posted...Although if your into a fast ride and great handling, Corbin makes a great set of bags ($1400) and add the Honda shield and it might work for you...Good Luck on your decision...

unsub
02-22-2015, 04:03 PM
Hello and welcome Riknchar :039:

Understanding that your local dealer is short on stock, can I recommend ordering and purchasing a new 2014 or 2015 F6B and simply wait for the delivery. If you are in the market for an F6 then I would suggest buying new and waiting for it's arrival. Wider variety of colours and options too! Take charge of your order, don't let the dealer steer you in the wrong direction.

Oh, and the Valkyrie? Walk away...it's just a city bike with a big heart.

mike2000t
02-22-2015, 04:07 PM
I bought my 2013 brand new last year. I love it.i personally don't care for the Valk, but to each his own. I do like the full fairing and radio on thF6B, and did care if it has no cruise control. I did change out the stock shield almost immediately, and am considering adding a back rest to the stock seat or a new ultimate seat with a back rest.

as for the used vs new, i would just do the math to see which is best over the long term. Considering the differnce in interst, the new one may actually be close the same price over the term of the loan. But you may be able to buy an extension of the warranty on the used. i am considering that myself

Steve 0080
02-22-2015, 04:08 PM
I agree with unsub...or there are better deals on a 2013 at a closer dealer...look some more then decide...no rush...

Riknchar
02-22-2015, 04:53 PM
Hello and welcome Riknchar :039:

Understanding that your local dealer is short on stock, can I recommend ordering and purchasing a new 2014 or 2015 F6B and simply wait for the delivery. If you are in the market for an F6 then I would suggest buying new and waiting for it's arrival. Wider variety of colours and options too! Take charge of your order, don't let the dealer steer you in the wrong direction.

Oh, and the Valkyrie? Walk away...it's just a city bike with a big heart.

Thanks for the feedback! I did look at the 2015 model (love that cruise control!), but it's tough to see paying $5000 more to get a new 2015 vs a new 2013...

I agree about the Valkyrie... but there's something about it that makes my adrenaline start flowing, as impractical as it is...

Rick

Sorcerer
02-22-2015, 04:58 PM
You could ask your dealer to through in the extended warranty on the used / new F6B.

VP8
02-22-2015, 04:58 PM
Rick, the bike you purchase depends on what type of bike riding you do. i.e. if you plan to do touring, motorcycle trips, store items on your bike, etc...then get the F6B. If you just want a bar hopper or you go on small rides that don't involve carrying anything, then get the Valkyrie. Personally, the current Valkyries will be pretty tough to resale.

As for which F6B you should purchase...it's cheaper to just go with a Deluxe (heated grips, center stand, passenger back rest, and self canceling turn signals). If I was looking for a red F6B, I would get the used Deluxe that just got traded in. With that, your dealer is over charging you for it...like you said, for less than $1k more, you get the full warranty, reduced financing rate and it's new. Now, Honda has an incentive right now for the new 2013 F6B and Deluxe...they are offering $2,500 in Honda Bonus Bucks. So you should find out if that $15K price includes that.

As for the used 2013 Deluxe, the dealer did not pay more than $11,750 for it. They made a profit off the original sale, just obtained this trade in so they could rid a new bike, and I'm sure all they did to the bike was preform the required oil change. Yes, the tires are used, but you should be able to add another 7,000 miles to it. I'd say, since you seem interested in the used bike since it's already configured how you like and it's clean...go for the used one...but don't offer more than $12K for it. The dealer will say there are accessories on it, so you don't have to add them....well, dealers don't pay any extra money for the accessories. He's had the new 2013's sitting in his showroom for two years, I doubt he wants to loose an interested buyer to rid the used 2013 Deluxe. I say why spend $3K more plus the cost of accessories when all you are saving is the cost of the warranty and the 7K miles. Honda does offer extended warranty plans you can purchase.

Riknchar
02-22-2015, 04:59 PM
I bought my 2013 brand new last year. I love it.i personally don't care for the Valk, but to each his own. I do like the full fairing and radio on thF6B, and did care if it has no cruise control. I did change out the stock shield almost immediately, and am considering adding a back rest to the stock seat or a new ultimate seat with a back rest.

as for the used vs new, i would just do the math to see which is best over the long term. Considering the differnce in interst, the new one may actually be close the same price over the term of the loan. But you may be able to buy an extension of the warranty on the used. i am considering that myself

Thanks for the feedback! I don't know how much difference the interest rate will really make -- I will probably pay the bike off pretty quickly unless i get the 1.99% from Honda (not much incentive to pay that one off quickly at that rate).

I did read with interest the fact that I could purchase a 4 year extended warranty for a reasonable price (around $500-600, it seems) at any time that my bike remains under the original factory warranty. That may make sense on the used 2013 I'm considering, although to be honest, I'm really not sure how much need there would be for an extended warranty on a Goldwing -- they tend to be pretty bullet-proof, and I really baby my bikes. I had my last Goldwing for 4 years and it only had one minor repair required (faulty brake switch making the cruise control inoperative). A warranty wouldn't have paid for itself on that one, but you never know, I suppose.

I will definitely be buying a taller windshield. I'm 5'9", so I think I could get by with the Baggershield 11 inch tinted model. I had the WindBender STS on my old Wing and LOVED it! A bit pricy, though (around $300 vs $139 for the BaggerShield model).

Rick

Riknchar
02-22-2015, 05:05 PM
Rick, the bike you purchase depends on what type of bike riding you do. i.e. if you plan to do touring, motorcycle trips, store items on your bike, etc...then get the F6B. If you just want a bar hopper or you go on small rides that don't involve carrying anything, then get the Valkyrie. Personally, the current Valkyries will be pretty tough to resale.

As for which F6B you should purchase...it's cheaper to just go with a Deluxe (heated grips, center stand, passenger back rest, and self canceling turn signals). If I was looking for a red F6B, I would get the used Deluxe that just got traded in. With that, your dealer is over charging you for it...like you said, for less than $1k more, you get the full warranty, reduced financing rate and it's new. Now, Honda has an incentive right now for the new 2013 F6B and Deluxe...they are offering $2,500 in Honda Bonus Bucks. So you should find out if that $15K price includes that.

As for the used 2013 Deluxe, the dealer did not pay more than $11,750 for it. They made a profit off the original sale, just obtained this trade in so they could rid a new bike, and I'm sure all they did to the bike was preform the required oil change. Yes, the tires are used, but you should be able to add another 7,000 miles to it. I'd say, since you seem interested in the used bike since it's already configured how you like and it's clean...go for the used one...but don't offer more than $12K for it. The dealer will say there are accessories on it, so you don't have to add them....well, dealers don't pay any extra money for the accessories. He's had the new 2013's sitting in his showroom for two years, I doubt he wants to loose an interested buyer to rid the used 2013 Deluxe. I say why spend $3K more plus the cost of accessories when all you are saving is the cost of the warranty and the 7K miles. Honda does offer extended warranty plans you can purchase.

Great info! I really appreciate your insight! I really have no fear of buying the used F6B I looked at. It was spotless from top to bottom (even underneath), and 7K miles for the 1800 engine is nothing. I would really prefer the Deluxe, since I need the passenger seat anyway, and would want a center stand. The self-canceling turn signals are also nice (had those on my last Wing), but aren't a make-or-break deal. Same with the heated grips... I've never had them, so I don't miss them much, and I'm a pretty "fair weather" rider anyway.

I'll probably call tomorrow to negotiate the best price possible on the used one... I'd LOVE to get it for $12K, but I don't know if the dealer will be willing. I'm guessing more like $13K, but even that would save me around $3K from buying the new non-Deluxe F6B and outfitting it the way I'd want. I can always buy the extended warranty for another $500-600 (or ask that the dealer throw it in with the deal, which probably costs them way less than that).

Again, thanks for your advice! Rick

VP8
02-22-2015, 05:18 PM
I too love the center stand Rick...it's a lot easier to check the air and the condition of the tires and/or plug a rear tire...which I had to do recently.

Rick, check online for used F6Bs...and check the classified section of this forum...this will give you a good idea on a price. But really, I would offer the dealer $12K...they will counter and whine that they need to make some money off it...even though it just arrived. If they want to play rough...then leave them your phone number and walk away for a week. See what they do. If they offer you something more reasonable...like $12,250...then ask them to throw in a one year extended warranty...then it'll be a deal.

And you're right...Jap bikes are bullet proof...and the Goldwings have proven themselves...40 years. So yeah...I wouldn't worry too much about getting an extended warranty unless you just want that peace of mind.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Riknchar
02-22-2015, 05:25 PM
I too love the center stand Rick...it's a lot easier to check the air and the condition of the tires and/or plug a rear tire...which I had to do recently.

Rick, check online for used F6Bs...and check the classified section of this forum...this will give you a good idea on a price. But really, I would offer the dealer $12K...they will counter and whine that they need to make some money off it...even though it just arrived. If they want to play rough...then leave them your phone number and walk away for a week. See what they do. If they offer you something more reasonable...like $12,250...then ask them to throw in a one year extended warranty...then it'll be a deal.

And you're right...Jap bikes are bullet proof...and the Goldwings have proven themselves...40 years. So yeah...I wouldn't worry too much about getting an extended warranty unless you just want that peace of mind.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Thanks VP8! Not sure how they will react to an offer of $12K, but I don't have much to lose since there are so many new ones left over (and it's still below 20 degrees here in Omaha NE, so I won't be riding anytime soon anyway).

I appreciate so many forum members chiming in with advice! I'll definitely keep you posted on how I come out... One way or another, I'll be driving a sweet F6B this Spring! Rick

mike2000t
02-22-2015, 06:35 PM
Even if you offer the $12k and they dont bite, you can always go up, go new, or go elsewhere.

1BADF6B
02-22-2015, 06:50 PM

I agree with VP. :039:

Blackedout2014
02-22-2015, 07:15 PM

My questions:

Rick

Pull the trigger on the F6B.

db24
02-22-2015, 07:26 PM
I would buy the new 2013 F6B but haggle on the price. Why buy someone else's 7,000 miles... you just never know how he/ she rode it and there is nothing like that new bike feeling! Pick the color you really like-- the paint issue (such that it is or isn't) is easily overcome with good waxes/ sealants.

unsub
02-23-2015, 02:06 PM
Hi again Rick..stick to your guns if you go for the used one. Not a penny more than 12...I might even strike a little lower, if I went for the used one, but that's me. There are lots of other great opportunities out there for an F6.

Pick door number 3 *crowd chants* Door 3, Door 3, Door 3!

.....or take what's in the little white envelope.:shrug:

Let us know how it goes.

Fla_rider
02-23-2015, 02:17 PM
Rick - go with what you want, no second guessing! In the end, the joys of riding any of them will out weight the what if's of all of them. 'riding'

Riknchar
02-23-2015, 08:41 PM
Hi again Rick..stick to your guns if you go for the used one. Not a penny more than 12...I might even strike a little lower, if I went for the used one, but that's me. There are lots of other great opportunities out there for an F6.

Pick door number 3 *crowd chants* Door 3, Door 3, Door 3!

.....or take what's in the little white envelope.:shrug:

Let us know how it goes.

So the Sales Manager just called to negotiate on the used 2013 F6B Deluxe... He said that the guy who had traded the bike in was one of their very loyal customers who had bought many bikes from them in the past, and had traded his 2013 F6B in for a brand new 2015 F6B. Based on all of that, the sales manager claims he gave the guy $13K in trade. However, he did say that since he had just taken the bike in a few days ago, and understands that he's not likely to sell it for a high price while there were leftover 2013s around, he was willing to sell it to me for what he had into it ($13K total price).

I'm not sure that I totally believe him, but he may have shown the other guy $13K for his and then charged full price for the 2015...

So anyway, now I have all the facts at my disposal: Leftover new 2013 F6B non-Deluxe for $14999 out the door (plus tax/title/license) or used 2013 F6B Deluxe (7K miles, Throttlemeister throttle lock, nice highway pegs) for $13K out the door (plus TTL).

I know Unsub was pretty hard over that I shouldn't offer more than $12K for the used bike, but I have to say that I'd probably be better off in most ways with the used one at $13K. In terms of future trade-in value, both bikes would be pretty identical (or the Deluxe would be a bit higher), since miles don't seem to play into the trade-in equation very much. In terms of quality of the bike, I think the Deluxe model wins simply due to the extra features (heated grips, self-canceling turn signals, center stand, etc.), and it appears that the previous owner really babied the bike. By the time I equipped the new/leftover 2013 with a center stand, passenger backrest, and highway pegs I'd be up to around $15,800...

Or I could just throw caution to the wind and buy a new 2015 F6B Deluxe for around $19,500 (or thereabouts)...

Decisions, decisions...

bigbird
02-23-2015, 08:48 PM
So meet him half way at $12.5k and everyone's happy.

opas ride
02-23-2015, 09:27 PM
So the Sales Manager just called to negotiate on the used 2013 F6B Deluxe... He said that the guy who had traded the bike in was one of their very loyal customers who had bought many bikes from them in the past, and had traded his 2013 F6B in for a brand new 2015 F6B. Based on all of that, the sales manager claims he gave the guy $13K in trade. However, he did say that since he had just taken the bike in a few days ago, and understands that he's not likely to sell it for a high price while there were leftover 2013s around, he was willing to sell it to me for what he had into it ($13K total price).

I'm not sure that I totally believe him, but he may have shown the other guy $13K for his and then charged full price for the 2015...

So anyway, now I have all the facts at my disposal: Leftover new 2013 F6B non-Deluxe for $14999 out the door (plus tax/title/license) or used 2013 F6B Deluxe (7K miles, Throttlemeister throttle lock, nice highway pegs) for $13K out the door (plus TTL).

I know Unsub was pretty hard over that I shouldn't offer more than $12K for the used bike, but I have to say that I'd probably be better off in most ways with the used one at $13K. In terms of future trade-in value, both bikes would be pretty identical (or the Deluxe would be a bit higher), since miles don't seem to play into the trade-in equation very much. In terms of quality of the bike, I think the Deluxe model wins simply due to the extra features (heated grips, self-canceling turn signals, center stand, etc.), and it appears that the previous owner really babied the bike. By the time I equipped the new/leftover 2013 with a center stand, passenger backrest, and highway pegs I'd be up to around $15,800...

Or I could just throw caution to the wind and buy a new 2015 F6B Deluxe for around $19,500 (or thereabouts)...

Decisions, decisions...

My feeling is that after reading all your earlier posts again, that you really, really, want the 2015 F6B...If you can spend the money, I would go for it and not look back...It seems to me that you are trying to rationalize the purchase of the other options in your mind and that you may not be totally happy riding the used or leftover 2013's everytime you seen the current model...Life is to short to not enjoy what you ride...If "bucks" are, in reality, an issue then go for your cheapest deal and be happy!!!...JMHO

srt8-in-largo
02-23-2015, 11:36 PM
If you saw lots of paint swirls on the used black F6, that's from the dealer or previous owner who didn't properly detail or care for the paint.

Phantom
02-23-2015, 11:53 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Gold-Wing-NEW-2015-Honda-Goldwing-Gold-Wing-F6B-Text-2015F6B-to-33733-for-our-pricing-/271782270577?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3f477c5671&item=271782270577&pt=US_motorcycles

XHarley
02-24-2015, 12:24 AM

Decisions, decisions...

To add to your decision making process here is an Ebay listing that I had been watching that ended this evening. Thirty bids and didn't even hit $13K or the reserve price so that can help indicate where the market is and this was a 2013 Black Deluxe with only 2,293 miles on the clock. I think that you should be able to use this information with your dealer to negotiate that $12K price on the used bike with 7K miles. Good luck on your purchase and ride safe.

X

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Honda-Gold-Wing-F6B-Deluxe-Low-Miles-Perfect-Condition-U000787-/131431718951?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2F i.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D1314317 18951%26_rdc%3D1&nma=true&si=ony75auKi%252FYISllfjIX%252FHNvNxGk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

VP8
02-24-2015, 01:28 AM
Rick, I think the sales manager is feeding you a line of :bsII:. That is the line they feed when they know you know what it's worth, but are eager to get on a F6B. They will say they added accessories to it, or new tires, or appreciated the value of the bike for a "loyal" customer. I've traded all my bikes before, and I too was a "loyal" customer for one of the dealers. I've never received more than low Blue Book... even if the bike was "babied.". When I traded in my Victory, my dealer made a ton off all the warranty work I had done as well as all the service intervals. I even had two more years left on the extended warranty. I was just looking for low Blue Book to get rid of it because I was tired of the unreliability. Even though the dealer knew me, he offered me slightly below Blue Book because I had over 25,000 miles on the bike and claimed there are manufacture rebates offered which brings the price down on new bikes.

Like others have said Rick, get what you really want, otherwise you will always look back and think, "Dam...I wish I would have purchased the _____.". If you want the 2015, save up for it and get it. If you don't care and just want a great bike for a great value, don't cave in at $13K. He's already making money at a $12K offer and he gets to make room for more inventory. PLUS, the red ones tend to be a little harder to sell than the black ones. Be patient... check online like others have. There will be more F6Bs popping up for sale, both new and used as more 2015s hit the floor. Let the sales manager sweat it out... you gave him an offer already. Tell him you are a buyer actively looking. If you find a used '13 B elsewhere, you will take your money elsewhere. He knows your number, he will call you when the used B sits on the floor for a while... while it continues to depreciate.

Limoles
02-24-2015, 02:02 AM
My local dealer DOESN'T WANT to take for trade any bike . He knows , that selling used one can be a challenge - specially in winter . Offering new bike , he always keep saying : "I got just one in this month and few guys are interested already " ... Small dealer , but he moves his inventory well.

In your dilemna and in case of buying used F6B , I'd rather look for private sale to avoid unnecessary profit of 3rd party.

If decided to buy new one , you've got CRUISE , 2 years younger : battery and tires and attractive colors .

Riknchar
02-24-2015, 11:16 AM
My feeling is that after reading all your earlier posts again, that you really, really, want the 2015 F6B...If you can spend the money, I would go for it and not look back...It seems to me that you are trying to rationalize the purchase of the other options in your mind and that you may not be totally happy riding the used or leftover 2013's everytime you seen the current model...Life is to short to not enjoy what you ride...If "bucks" are, in reality, an issue then go for your cheapest deal and be happy!!!...JMHO

I would definitely prefer a 2015 F6B (in the cool new matte silver/charcoal gray color). I was assuming that there wouldn't be much discounting going on for those, and that I'd have to pay $21K or so to get a deluxe model, but it now appears that some of the Forum members are getting pretty decent discounts on the new 2015s (down as low as $18K for the deluxe model). That does change the equation somewhat...

I'm the type of person who is prone to weighting the overall "deal" on the bike more heavily than most... I tend to trade cars and motorcycles on a fairly short cycle, so I always need to drive a pretty hard bargain on the front end to make sure I don't get killed on the back end. For example, I paid $11,500 for my last Goldwing (2003 with 9K miles); I drove it for 4 years and sold it (with 25K miles) for $10,500. That's the kind of deals I enjoy...

So I'm trying to balance the desire for a killer deal (the 2013s) with my desire for a specific color and cruise control (the 2015s).

I'm inquiring now on what the actual best out-the-door price would be for a 2015 F6B Deluxe at my local dealers. If I could get one for around $18K, it may be worth it to just go that route. I can afford it either way, but always try to be financially disciplined in these sorts of things.

Thanks to all for such great advice! I'll keep you posted...

opas ride
02-24-2015, 03:41 PM
If it is any help at this point, I paid $19,300 plus another $4,000 in custom paint, Cobra pipes,Kury grips, chrome side stand, Mustang seat, Baggershield, and other "goodies" for my 2013 F6B Deluxe in September of 2103...No regrets and I know that other riders have various motivations and reasons for getting what they feel is a "good deal", but I am happy and love the bike...I got a really nice price on the trade of my 2011 Vision which sealed it for me....Good luck and let us know what you decide....Ride safe...

taxfree4
02-24-2015, 08:01 PM
I'm pretty sure Honda dealers are the same as Harley in that the dealer is rated by the manufacturer on how many new models they sell, doesn't matter about the used bikes that are traded in. He's got to get that 2013 or 14 off that floor to make room for the 15's, especially with the added feature of cruise now. When I traded my 2013 Road Glide for the 2013 F6B the dealer wanted my bike and $1700. I got it for my bike and a $1000, so they will be super motivated to get that leftover 2013 or 2014 out and if you're going that far go a little further and get new, it only hurts a little more. Good luck.

Riknchar
02-25-2015, 01:23 PM
So I just got off the phone with a local (120 miles away, but fairly local) Honda Dealer who has agreed to order a 2015 F6B Deluxe (Silver) for me for a total price of $18,795 out the door (plus TTL). He claims his dealer cost is around $18,500, and he just needs to make $295 to make it work. Seems pretty reasonable to me... Should take around 3 weeks to come in. The dealer said from talking with his distributor regarding the 2015s that the silver color is proving to be extremely popular -- he could get me a blue one immediately, but the wait for the silver ones was around 3 weeks.

I'm definitely leaning that way. Like someone said, that's the bike I really want, and since I can afford it, why not? I'm not in a hurry, either, so the 3-week wait is no problem...

Any other thoughts to consider? Thanks! Rick

JackB
02-25-2015, 01:29 PM
Go for it that sounds like a good price.
I would go for the leftover but I'm cheap.
I also love the black but the new colors look great.
Good luck you can't go wrong.

CheesyRider
02-25-2015, 01:49 PM
He claims his dealer cost is around $18,500

So what does everybody think? Is $18,799 a good price for a new 2015 F6B Deluxe?
I don't think he is being straight with you on his dealer cost. Nevertheless, it looks like a very good deal if you don't want the hassle of going to Arkansas to buy. Go for it!

bigbird
02-25-2015, 02:08 PM
Here's what I just posted in your same question in another thread.

"Making only $295 gross on a bike would not keep a dealer in business for long.
If Honda motorcycle sales are similar to automobile sales, the dealer has about a 3%-4% holdback (also called floor plan) that is there to help the dealer finance the bike on the sales floor until it is sold.
So if dealer cost is $18500, there is another $740 to the Dealer from Honda. In reality, the dealer's gross profit would be $295 + $740 for just over $1000 gross profit. Is that fair for both parties?
I think so, especially for a bike that isn't in stock and hasn't sat on the sales floor for months eating into the floor plan.

BTW, is it Dillon Bros who wouldn't discount?
If so, that's strange, as their online parts discounts are among the best in the US.
I have bought lots of parts and accessories from Dillon over the years."

Riknchar
02-25-2015, 02:38 PM
Here's what I just posted in your same question in another thread.

"Making only $295 gross on a bike would not keep a dealer in business for long.
If Honda motorcycle sales are similar to automobile sales, the dealer has about a 3%-4% holdback (also called floor plan) that is there to help the dealer finance the bike on the sales floor until it is sold.
So if dealer cost is $18500, there is another $740 to the Dealer from Honda. In reality, the dealer's gross profit would be $295 + $740 for just over $1000 gross profit. Is that fair for both parties?
I think so, especially for a bike that isn't in stock and hasn't sat on the sales floor for months eating into the floor plan.

BTW, is it Dillon Bros who wouldn't discount?
If so, that's strange, as their online parts discounts are among the best in the US.
I have bought lots of parts and accessories from Dillon over the years."

Yeah, there may well be some dealer holdback coming into play here, but the price is still so much lower than the other dealer that it may be as good as it gets... And to answer your question, yes, I've been trying to work with Dillon Brothers on this deal, but so far they have been uninterested in discounting anything off full sticker for a new 2015 F6B... Does seem strange... Good to hear they have great prices on their online parts, though!

bigdawg
02-26-2015, 08:59 PM
Rick, I think the sales manager is feeding you a line of :bsII:. That is the line they feed when they know you know what it's worth, but are eager to get on a F6B. They will say they added accessories to it, or new tires, or appreciated the value of the bike for a "loyal" customer. I've traded all my bikes before, and I too was a "loyal" customer for one of the dealers. I've never received more than low Blue Book... even if the bike was "babied.". When I traded in my Victory, my dealer made a ton off all the warranty work I had done as well as all the service intervals. I even had two more years left on the extended warranty. I was just looking for low Blue Book to get rid of it because I was tired of the unreliability. Even though the dealer knew me, he offered me slightly below Blue Book because I had over 25,000 miles on the bike and claimed there are manufacture rebates offered which brings the price down on new bikes.

Like others have said Rick, get what you really want, otherwise you will always look back and think, "Dam...I wish I would have purchased the _____.". If you want the 2015, save up for it and get it. If you don't care and just want a great bike for a great value, don't cave in at $13K. He's already making money at a $12K offer and he gets to make room for more inventory. PLUS, the red ones tend to be a little harder to sell than the black ones. Be patient... check online like others have. There will be more F6Bs popping up for sale, both new and used as more 2015s hit the floor. Let the sales manager sweat it out... you gave him an offer already. Tell him you are a buyer actively looking. If you find a used '13 B elsewhere, you will take your money elsewhere. He knows your number, he will call you when the used B sits on the floor for a while... while it continues to depreciate.

Actually, the sales manager wasn't feeding anyone a line of bull____. I am the loyal customer who takes meticulous care of their motorcycles and have purchased many bikes from that dealer and received exactly $13,000 for my immaculate 2013 red deluxe F6B. I don't see a single word of deception from the dealer in anything I have read. Congratulations on your new purchase Rick. I think you made the right choice. The only reason I traded in my 2013 was for the factory electronic cruise control. I'm loving my metallic blue color too. By the way, I imagine I live just down the road from you since I live in LaVista.

Riknchar
02-27-2015, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the insightful encouragement! I took your advice and ordered a new 2015 Deluxe in the Matte Silver color... As I think back over past vehicles I've bought, I realize that I've never regretted buying the newest/best version (but have regretted "cheaping out" several times)...

Riknchar
02-27-2015, 10:18 AM
Actually, the sales manager wasn't feeding anyone a line of bull____. I am the loyal customer who takes meticulous care of their motorcycles and have purchased many bikes from that dealer and received exactly $13,000 for my immaculate 2013 red deluxe F6B. I don't see a single word of deception from the dealer in anything I have read. Congratulations on your new purchase Rick. I think you made the right choice. The only reason I traded in my 2013 was for the factory electronic cruise control. I'm loving my metallic blue color too. By the way, I imagine I live just down the road from you since I live in LaVista.

BigDawg: That's so funny that you chimed in on this thread! I should have thought to ask the forum if it was one of our members who traded in the 2013 Deluxe to Dillon! That confirms that Dillon did right by you (and did not lie to me).

They really did treat you right by giving you $13K for your 2013 (especially with all the leftover '13's around). Did they cut you a decent deal on the purchase price for your new 2015 also? So you ended up with the Blue one? I love that color also -- almost looks purple in some light! I nearly bought a leftover 2014 Valkyrie in that color before I decided to throw caution to the wind and buy a new F6B. Did you get another Deluxe, or did you stick with the Base model this time?

I'm glad to be joining the F6B family! Can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can head out on a long ride!

bigdawg
02-27-2015, 03:31 PM
Yes I got another deluxe. No matter what I'm buying I always seem to prefer the most expensive option! It's a sickness I cope with unsuccessfully:icon_lol: Yes, they always give me a great deal since I have purchased so many bikes from them and bring all of my bikes there for service. I think I'm there almost as much as some of the employees! When I walk in everyone calls me by name. I feel like Norm from the old TV show Cheers when he would walk into the bar. I also purchased a blue valkyrie from them recently and knew I would love to have that color on the F6B. Honda puts a clear coat on their metallic paint so this metallic blue paint should hold up better than the paint on the older F6B models, although I didn't really notice much of an issue with the red paint that others did.

FYI, I also had them transfer a lot of my stuff from my old bike to the new bike like the taller windscreen, fog lights, luggage rack, Ultimate seat, GPS mount, etc., so my new bike is already set up perfect for me. I left the chrome highway pegs with the old bike since I thought black pegs would go better with the black muffler. I also put a Superbrace on the front forks of the new one and it makes a surprisingly big difference in the handling. Much less front wheel wobble you may notice when going over bumps. I highly recommend it. You are going to love this bike, especially when you get it set up to fit you. If you are interested in anything I have put on my bike you are welcome to take a look at mine before you order yours.

Riknchar
02-27-2015, 03:36 PM
Yes I got another deluxe. No matter what I'm buying I always seem to prefer the most expensive option! It's a sickness I cope with unsuccessfully:icon_lol: Yes, they always give me a great deal since I have purchased so many bikes from them and bring all of my bikes there for service. I think I'm there almost as much as some of the employees! When I walk in everyone calls me by name. I feel like Norm from the old TV show Cheers when he would walk into the bar. I also purchased a blue valkyrie from them recently and knew I would love to have that color on the F6B. Honda puts a clear coat on their metallic paint so this metallic blue paint should hold up better than the paint on the older F6B models, although I didn't really notice much of an issue with the red paint that others did.

FYI, I also had them transfer a lot of my stuff from my old bike to the new bike like the taller windscreen, fog lights, luggage rack, Ultimate seat, GPS mount, etc., so my new bike is already set up perfect for me. I left the chrome highway pegs with the old bike since I thought black pegs would go better with the black muffler. I also put a Superbrace on the front forks of the new one and it makes a surprisingly big difference in the handling. Much less front wheel wobble you may notice when going over bumps. I highly recommend it. You are going to love this bike, especially when you get it set up to fit you. If you are interested in anything I have put on my bike you are welcome to take a look at mine before you order yours.

So you have both a Valkyrie AND an F6B??? And I thought I was spoiled ;-) Nice deal!

I did notice the highway pegs on your old 2013 -- they look extremely useful, but I agree that the black ones will look better on the 2015. The Throttlemeister was a nice touch, also, but the electronic cruise control is WAY better obviously. I may need your advice on a few options as I start "Farkling" up my new ride. Thanks!

bigdawg
02-27-2015, 08:51 PM
I put 1000 miles on the valkyrie and tried to make it into a long distance bike like I do with all my bikes. Unfortunately, I thought the tall windscreen, highway pegs, passenger backrest and luggage rack ruined the lines and cool look of the bike and I still had wind buffeting my head. I traded it in for a new blue BMW K1600 GT. Fantastic motorcycle. In fact it is because of the BMW's electronic cruise control that I decided to get the 2015 F6B. That's also the reason I got the Superbrace, because it was obvious riding the 2 bikes back to back that the front forks of the F6B needed a bit more stability.

srt8-in-largo
02-27-2015, 08:55 PM

That's also the reason I got the Superbrace, because it was obvious riding the 2 bikes back to back that the front forks of the F6B needed a bit more stability.

Huh that's interesting. I may give that mod a shot afterall.