PDA

View Full Version : Just found these

taxfree4
02-26-2015, 07:04 AM
Looking through some old pictures I found these ( will post more). On my youngest son's fifth birthday, October 1995, I asked him where he wanted to go and he said to the top of the Twin Towers. This is from the observation deck of the south tower looking north. The Empire State Building is visible far center.

taxfree4
02-26-2015, 07:40 AM
This is from the indoor observation floor of the south tower looking east to Brooklyn. The Brooklyn Bridge is in the lower left with the Manhattan Bridge right above it.

taxfree4
02-26-2015, 07:51 AM
Same location, south tower indoor observation deck, except this is slightly a little more north east with the Manhattan Bridge more visible.

taxfree4
02-26-2015, 07:56 AM
South tower lobby on the escalator from the ground floor atrium to the elevator banks, if I remember correctly.

taxfree4
02-26-2015, 08:02 AM
When you arrived at the top floor indoor observation deck there was a full scale model of Manhattan on display. I remember my son spent more time looking at that than on the outdoor observation deck looking at the real thing.

taxfree4
02-26-2015, 08:12 AM
South indoor observation deck wedged in between the space of the vertical steel beams.

taxfree4
02-26-2015, 08:18 AM
South Tower, Vista International hotel in the lower right.

bobbyf6b
02-26-2015, 09:43 AM
Great pictures. I got to see the towers once when I delivered a load to Jamaica, Queens back in the 90's. Never made it back to visit.

taxfree4
02-26-2015, 10:27 AM
I went to the top of the towers only twice, unfortunately. It was one of those things where it's always around you so you don't take advantage of it. I still have to get my ass to the Statue of Liberty, one day. As a kid I remember watching the towers going up, quite a sight.

2bikemike
02-26-2015, 03:30 PM
It is strange how many things are in your backyard growing up that are either historical or just plain interesting yet we never see them. When I first moved here 20 yrs ago I would go see things or ask a local about and always get the same response "Never been there". since then we continue to find things to do or see right here most of them are very historical either local or national and still haven't seen all of it.

taxfree4
02-26-2015, 04:13 PM
It is strange how many things are in your backyard growing up that are either historical or just plain interesting yet we never see them. When I first moved here 20 yrs ago I would go see things or ask a local about and always get the same response "Never been there". since then we continue to find things to do or see right here most of them are very historical either local or national and still haven't seen all of it.

Amen to that and if it wasn't for my son it would have only been once, and that was for dinner at Windows of the World, in the North Tower on the 107th floor, very expensive. Being retired makes a difference, when you're raising a family there are too many things going on that when you have spare time, you rest. Plus the kids today wouldn't be able to see the view since their heads would down texting on their phone. BTW Great screen name