PDA

View Full Version : I am short 5' 8" 30" inseam

stevenolts
02-26-2015, 02:35 PM
I am short 5' 8" with a 30" inseam. I test rode the bike and it could work but I am not completely flat footed.
We all know how much better it feels at a light when there is dust or a hole when you can put your foot down firmly.
These bikes are very heavy and once they start to go it they are tough to stop unless you have good footing.

On my Harley I put on a different seat, 14" mini ape handlebars and it made all the difference. It felt like the bike was made for me.

What do you guys recommend for ergonomic changes if any?

Thank you,

Steve

Steve 0080
02-26-2015, 02:43 PM
'welcome gang' to the board !!!

Mustang seat, Progressive lowering front suspension ..... others will chime in on which of our vendors has these items!!!

JackB
02-26-2015, 03:20 PM
I'm the same size as you and I have no problem flat footing at a stop. I have the stock seat but a Mustang is an inch lower.

stevenolts
02-26-2015, 03:23 PM
I can probably get away with the stock bike / but if I slip on gravel or road dust etc... It would be more comfortable a little lower.

How is the Mustang seat?

How much does the front progrssive suspension lower the bike?

Can you lower the rear with the adjustable ride?

Steve

opas ride
02-26-2015, 03:23 PM
I am short 5' 8" with a 30" inseam. I test rode the bike and it could work but I am not completely flat footed.
We all know how much better it feels at a light when there is dust or a hole when you can put your foot down firmly.
These bikes are very heavy and once they start to go it they are tough to stop unless you have good footing.

On my Harley I put on a different seat, 14" mini ape handlebars and it made all the difference. It felt like the bike was made for me.

What do you guys recommend for ergonomic changes if any?

Thank you,

Steve

I am 5' 9" with a 29" inseam and 75 years old...I installed a 1" lower Mustang seat, had a local bootmaker put 1/2" higher soles and heels on my riding boots, and I am "good to go"....Many other riders on the board, I'm sure, have other ideas which will work...I personally am not a fan of lowering the suspension, or changing the bars, but whatever works for you.....Ride safe...

F6B1911
02-26-2015, 03:33 PM
One other option is to use the "Lower Wing Products" Suspension Lowering Bracket.
It lowers the bike 3/4", 1" or 1 1/4” under stock height, looks bad ass too!

BadDawg
02-26-2015, 05:21 PM
I'm 5'6" 30 inch inseam. Going from my VTX1800, which I dropped the seat height to 23"H x 12"w, to the B is a serious transition. Initially I had planned on trimming the seat and possible lowering the suspension. However, I have kind of adapted to the bike. After a few thousand miles I really don't feel as awkward. I still may trim the seat down but it isn't nearly as imperative to me as it was on day one. Of course every Time I get back on the VTX I reconsider it.

Fla_rider
02-26-2015, 05:47 PM
Steven welcome to the forum. I am 5'7" with 29" inseam sitting in the stock seat I have to tippy toe at lights, but if I get my bottom off the seat and stand I'm flat footed.

Jimmytee
02-26-2015, 05:54 PM
I'm 5' 8" with a 30 " inseam and I don't really have a problem. I have a Corbin seat. The seat is narrower towards the front which helps.

baiao
03-05-2015, 01:31 AM
The stock seat is wide in the front, any ideas about the MUSTANG seats vs Ultimate Seats ?
I have asked the local dealer to replace stock seat with Mustang seat ,to test the fit , but I have to plan
ahead since the F6B seat is bolted on and it takes time to change out.
Thank you for the information on the Corbin seat being narrower upfront.:clap2:

smokinjoe187
03-05-2015, 03:50 AM
just loosen up the pre load first,its free

Jimmytee
03-05-2015, 05:50 AM
Put on some weight, get a BIG girlfriend.:icon_lol:

Limoles
03-05-2015, 11:06 AM
Who wants to minimize performance in such a desperate way ? Big wales belong to HD impressionists . Lets keep style and proportions .

stevenolts
03-05-2015, 11:28 AM
I think the Mustang seat lower by one inch will most likley do the job for me. I do not want to lower the bike and give up performance.

Thank you for all your help guys!!!!

Steve

srt8-in-largo
03-05-2015, 09:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DIETlxquzY

fxdl2051
03-06-2015, 12:31 AM
5'6" 29" inseam, also post Harley. While I cannot flat foot the f6 it hasn't been a real problem because the bike is so nicely balanced, even better than Harleys. So no mods for me yet.

silverado
03-06-2015, 02:38 AM
I'm 5'6", 29" inseam. looking to buy a F6B this year. I lowered my meanstreak from 29" to 27" seat height by 1" shorter shocks in rear and slightly shorter front tire and 1" lower mustang seat. Mustang seats are great. I think the lowering actually helped the handling, I was worried about that, but turned out better.
You need to remove the center stand if you lower the F6B.
Funny because I sat on all 3, the full wing and F6B and valkyrie side by side in the dealership. The F6B looked a lot lower, but when I sat on them, I could reach the ground better on the full wing and the seat was a whole lot more comfy. F6B looks a whole lot lower, but the seat height is almost the same, yes wider in front makes the diff. I looked at a bunch of bikes and I just cannot find a reason not to get a F6B. The salesman was trying to sell me on a 1300ctx, but I just couldn't buy it, looks nice but saddlebags a little cheap looking and my leg touched the exhaust pipe when I put my feet down and a couple more thousnd for the F6B seems like a no brainer. great forum guys, now all I need is the money, ugh.

NCF6B
03-06-2015, 06:28 AM
I'm 5'7 and took the stock seat to a local reupholster and had her lower it an inch and narrow front a little. Works great for me and it only cost $100.00. She's done work on other bike seats and does a great job. just a thought.

baiao
03-06-2015, 10:12 AM
AWESOME! GREAT INFORMATION .. now to locate an upholster to manage the modifications.THANK YOU

silverado
03-08-2015, 02:40 AM
I'm 5'7 and took the stock seat to a local reupholster and had her lower it an inch and narrow front a little. Works great for me and it only cost $100.00. She's done work on other bike seats and does a great job. just a thought.

that's a great idea, there are some seat mods on you tube, doesn't seem that hard, especially since I'm a carpenter by trade. nothing to loose.worth a try. I have a stapler and electric kitchen knife, all you need.

NCF6B
03-08-2015, 10:21 AM
Thanks, doesn't seem to be that difficult. Pull staples, unwrap cover, carefully trim the foam and replace the cover. re-staple back into place. The most difficult piece I think is getting the cover stretched even and tight. Good luck, let us know how it works.