PDA

View Full Version : What caused this guys accident??

srt8-in-largo
02-26-2015, 10:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_gGNzIYEhg

F6Pilot
02-26-2015, 10:28 PM
It appears based on his rear light he was on the brakes in that slight right hand turn. At first I thought maybe a tar snake but after the slow motion replay I can only guess maybe some loose gravel or something at the drive opening washed out the front.

hiflyer
02-26-2015, 11:02 PM
Misapplication of the front brake in a turn. Most of your traction is used up in the turning process, doesn't take much to wash out the front tire when applying the front brake a little too much. I think he saw the rider in the oncoming lane, might have thought he was going to go wide and "grabbed" the front brake in a brief moment of panic. The oncoming rider was lucky. This is why you've got to be on your toes, I'm not concerned about my skills, it's the guy coming around the curve that scares me.

terrydj
02-26-2015, 11:07 PM
yeap
Front brake
See the twich in the rear before the fall
Most people that have ridden for a while always trail the back brake when braking
Probably why GP riders have rear brakes :icon_cool:

shooter
02-26-2015, 11:18 PM
Nah. It was the loose dirt and gravel from the driveway. Look at the dust that kicks up. He actually modified his line partway through the corner and went more inside thus increasing his lean angle. Watch his position in the lane. And yes he probably did it because of the oncoming bike.

srt8-in-largo
02-26-2015, 11:19 PM
That's gotta be it then, braking. I'm still a little baffled by it; he couldn't have been doing more than about 30 mph.

srt8-in-largo
02-26-2015, 11:33 PM
The guy in the white helmet directly in front of him took almost the same line through the curve and made it just fine; I didn't see his brake light come on. There does look like some dust and other loose sediment spilled over onto the road but it doesn't look THAT bad.

I think the crasher saw the decreasing radius... and maybe the oncoming rider... and hit the brakes at just the wrong spot. But again the road doesn't look terrible. Maybe worn tires was a factor; I can't tell if his rears have any tread on them at all.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-RoNLTJlVglY/VO_x87qOOHI/AAAAAAAACbU/pXangswK0G0/s800/crash.jpg

GNW
02-27-2015, 08:01 AM
Nah. It was the loose dirt and gravel from the driveway. Look at the dust that kicks up. He actually modified his line partway through the corner and went more inside thus increasing his lean angle. Watch his position in the lane. And yes he probably did it because of the oncoming bike.

You could only guess, but yes, I think like Shooter. That area by the drive looked a little damp and low.

GNW
02-27-2015, 08:16 AM
Second thought, and not to take the fun out of the ride, but, they were all going to fast for the unknown conditions.

nvmyf6
02-27-2015, 01:58 PM
Clearly its an attack of that little road gremlin. The rider most likely doesn't have one of them bells attached to the front of the bike.

What else could it be.. :shock:

Limoles
02-27-2015, 02:46 PM
The guy in the white helmet directly in front of him took almost the same line through the curve and made it just fine; I didn't see his brake light come on. There does look like some dust and other loose sediment spilled over onto the road but it doesn't look THAT bad.

I think the crasher saw the decreasing radius... and maybe the oncoming rider... and hit the brakes at just the wrong spot. But again the road doesn't look terrible. Maybe worn tires was a factor; I can't tell if his rears have any tread on them at all.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-RoNLTJlVglY/VO_x87qOOHI/AAAAAAAACbU/pXangswK0G0/s800/crash.jpg

I think , you are right. Despite all speculations here is another fact , which makes me wander . Why this "filmmaker" didn't stop for help ? It would me my reaction at first .

stepbill
02-27-2015, 03:02 PM
I think the camera guy did not want to try and break in the turn and when he came out of the turn there was nowhere to turn around. I believe that he was looking for a place to turn around. JMO

Old Ryder
02-27-2015, 04:19 PM
poor judgement---also known as "riding over your head". (don't ask me how I know)

XHarley
02-27-2015, 06:19 PM
My guess is a combination of speed, lean angle, tire wear and loose gravel.

X

hiflyer
02-27-2015, 07:29 PM
Front brake, just like this except he was in a right turn.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zyfiIxf29JQ

grendl
02-27-2015, 08:20 PM
Looks to me like the guy hit his brakes just as he passed over the sand or gravel that is coming out of the driveway. Noticed the two streaks of it over the white line.
His brake light flashes just as he crosses it IMHO..

ReserveBum
02-27-2015, 08:26 PM
been real ugly if that guy didnt have a helmet on

Old Ryder
02-27-2015, 09:09 PM
been real ugly if that guy didnt have a helmet on

It was ugly enough for me as it was.

Let me preach on it a while. You are not at Daytona. This is not a closed course racing surface. there are elements beyond your line of sight and reflexes and ability that make a high risk environment. Less than a half second makes a difference. I am not that good. Stupid hurts.

srt8-in-largo
02-27-2015, 09:11 PM
With all this talk about grabbing front brakes in turns... how is it that trail braking is such a widely commended practice??

Unlike what the phrase may sound like, trail braking uses the front brakes in turns, not so much the rear brakes.

I think , you are right. Despite all speculations here is another fact , which makes me wander . Why this "filmmaker" didn't stop for help ? It would me my reaction at first .

This is something I've been thinking about after watching some Russian crash videos where people are laying un-moving on the ground... and other riders idle by like they're in a drive-through zoo.

hiflyer
02-27-2015, 09:41 PM
Front brake, just like this except he was in a right turn.

Thanks for fixing the vid, admin, sorry I posted it from my phone, trying to be incognito, while dining with my lovely wife, who, if she had seen me on my phone would be wondering why she didn't have my full attention.:nono:

Go to YouTube and search Mulholland crashes, there are lots of 'em. Maybe we can learn something studying their mistakes.