PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Baker Built Hand Wings

Ixol Phaane
02-28-2015, 01:39 AM
I just received my hand wings from WingStuff.
I'm a little troubled by the installation instructions.
As they were shipped partially assembled, with the brackets attached to the wings, they didn't seem to properly fit the bike when I installed them. The top of each wing made contact with the bottom of the mirrors.
My fix was to swap the brackets on each hand wing. They now fit better (still brush the mirror bottoms), and seem to work just fine, but this makes me wonder...
...Did I recieve the correct hand wings for my F6B?
They were labeled for GL1800.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?

:shrug:

F6BPDX
02-28-2015, 12:37 PM
Mine do not touch my mirrors at all, they clear by about 1/4" maybe slightly more. That being said they only make one model for the GL1800 so unless you got ones that were mispackaged all together (for a Kawasaki C14 or something for example) then you did get the right ones. Maybe post some photos of how you have your posts assembled and we can compare them.

Also in your photo you have the brackets on backwards. The post should sit above the screw that is farthest away from the bike.

stepbill
02-28-2015, 01:06 PM
To me it looks like you have them on the wrong mirrors. Trust me, I did the same thing. Swap the wings to where the lower portion is closest to the bikes body if that makes sense and you will see that the wing then follows the contour of the mirror.

Hornblower
02-28-2015, 01:36 PM
Here's what it SHOULD look like:

hiflyer
02-28-2015, 01:36 PM
Mine do not touch my mirrors at all, they clear by about 1/4" maybe slightly more.

Also in your photo you have the brackets on backwards. The post should sit above the screw that is farthest away from the bike.

Agree, swap the brackets and you're good. Notice that I also use a bigger bumper. I hit a huge gust of wind one time and it, excuse the term, "assholed" the wing past the smaller oem bumper.

F6BPDX
02-28-2015, 01:37 PM
To me it looks like you have them on the wrong mirrors. Trust me, I did the same thing. Swap the wings to where the lower portion is closest to the bikes body if that makes sense and you will see that the wing then follows the contour of the mirror.

I disagree.

Here are mine...

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm293/mlinkletter/photo%201.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm293/mlinkletter/photo%202.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm293/mlinkletter/photo%203.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm293/mlinkletter/photo%204.jpg

F6BPDX
02-28-2015, 01:39 PM
And a photo from Baker showing the same orientation...

http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/1305%20%20hw.JPG

1BADF6B
02-28-2015, 01:53 PM
And a photo from Baker showing the same orientation...

http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/1305%20%20hw.JPG

Thats exactly how mine look. The larger side to the front of the bike. Just did mine yesterday. :yes:

Ixol Phaane
02-28-2015, 04:27 PM
Hey, guys... Thanks so much!
The F6B specific photos were just what I needed to see.
The standard Gold Wing pics threw me a little.
This is the installation I've ended up with...

11946 11947

Great stuff. Thanks again! :icon_biggrin:

hiflyer
02-28-2015, 04:33 PM
Hey, guys... Thanks so much!

Great stuff. Thanks again! :icon_biggrin:

Nice garage, and your own firetruck. Cool.

Ixol Phaane
02-28-2015, 04:49 PM
Nice garage, and your own firetruck. Cool.

Yeah, huh? :shhh:
:icon_biggrin:

hiflyer
02-28-2015, 04:52 PM
Yeah, huh? :shhh:
:icon_biggrin:

Don't forget to put the bumpers on before you ride it.

Ixol Phaane
02-28-2015, 06:32 PM
Don't forget to put the bumpers on before you ride it.

Copy bumpers. Thx. :yes:

GothamVengeance
02-28-2015, 11:43 PM
I am unable to get the bumpers to fit over the mirror housing. It seems that the frame is way too thick for the bracket. Should I be significantly bending the bracket to fit over the frame? And/or forcefully hammer that sucker on there (and scratch the frame up in the process)?

hiflyer
02-28-2015, 11:56 PM
I am unable to get the bumpers to fit over the mirror housing. It seems that the frame is way too thick for the bracket. Should I be significantly bending the bracket to fit over the frame? And/or forcefully hammer that sucker on there (and scratch the frame up in the process)?

I'm not following what you are talking about. The bumpers I referred to are the little rubber stick ons that prevent the Baker wings from coming in contact with the painted surface.

bobbyf6b
03-01-2015, 10:54 AM
Tip...

My "bumpers" didn't survive the summer heat so I put auto door guard material on the wings. Just cut to fit. Works great.

I noticed its left a little mark in the paint. Oops. Can't see it with the wings closed anyway.

hiflyer
03-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Tip...

My "bumpers" didn't survive the summer heat so I put auto door guard material on the wings. Just cut to fit. Works great.

That's a great idea, will do the same.

bobbyf6b
03-01-2015, 11:01 AM
That's a great idea, will do the same.

I added that it has left a mark in the paint. I didn't notice until I just took that picture. :icon_redface:

Ixol Phaane
03-01-2015, 01:05 PM

Hey, GothamVengeance... you're referring to the Hand Wing stops... not bumpers.
Yeah, I looked at those and decided they probably wouldn't fit the F6B mirrors. You're right about the frame being too thick.
They were apparently designed to be mounted on the bottom of the Gold Wing mirror... which is upside-down on our F6B. :banghead:
I left mine off. And I don't see them in the pics that the others have posted.

Hornblower
03-01-2015, 01:34 PM
Hey, GothamVengeance... you're referring to the Hand Wing stops... not bumpers.
Yeah, I looked at those and decided they probably wouldn't fit the F6B mirrors. You're right about the frame being too thick.
They were apparently designed to be mounted on the bottom of the Gold Wing mirror... which is upside-down on our F6B. :banghead:
I left mine off. And I don't see them in the pics that the others have posted.

Really? You might want to look again at my pic in post #4.

hiflyer
03-01-2015, 01:49 PM

I got it now, mine are on there too HB. Takes a little effort to get them on, but if it didn't they wouldn't be of much use, u can't use the wings in the open position without them.

Ixol Phaane
03-01-2015, 03:58 PM

I didn't spot that earlier. I see it now. Thanks for pointing that out, Ken.
You had to pry open the clip a bit to get that onto the lip of the mirror, I assume.
I didn't want to mar the finish on the bottoms of my mirrors so I've left those stops off.

Ixol Phaane
03-01-2015, 04:11 PM
Takes a little effort to get them on, but if it didn't they wouldn't be of much use, u can't use the wings in the open position without them.

Hmmm. I hadn't tried to run with them open, yet.
Dang it! Am I really gonna have to install those things? :icon_rolleyes:
My take away from the the install instructions was that they were a safety stop in case of sudden gusts, i.e. passing vehicles. i didn't think they were a required item.

hiflyer
03-01-2015, 04:12 PM
I didn't spot that earlier. I see it now. Thanks for pointing that out, Ken.
You had to pry open the clip a bit to get that onto the lip of the mirror, I assume.
I didn't want to mar the finish on the bottoms of my mirrors so I've left those stops off.

You realize that you can't open them up without the stops?

GothamVengeance
03-01-2015, 10:53 PM
Sorry, yes, I meant the stops. I put my wings on in November, but didn't think the stops were meant for the upside down F6B mirrors because of the fit (the lack thereof). Wasn't an issue in the cold weather in the closed position. However, as soon as I rode on a 75 degree day last month, I tried using them in the open position. Sure enough, they swung too far open and were rendered useless for cooling purposes at speeds higher than 45mph. They need the stops installed. So what's the trick to do this without permanently scratching the mirror frame?

Ixol Phaane
03-01-2015, 11:09 PM
You realize that you can't open them up without the stops?

I do now.

bobbyf6b
03-02-2015, 12:04 AM
Sorry, yes, I meant the stops. I put my wings on in November, but didn't think the stops were meant for the upside down F6B mirrors because of the fit (the lack thereof). Wasn't an issue in the cold weather in the closed position. However, as soon as I rode on a 75 degree day last month, I tried using them in the open position. Sure enough, they swung too far open and were rendered useless for cooling purposes at speeds higher than 45mph. They need the stops installed. So what's the trick to do this without permanently scratching the mirror frame?

My stops are installed. Don't know about scratching since they never come off.

Reedman71
03-02-2015, 11:08 AM
I just installed a set of Baker Hand Wings and the side Wings w/Lowers and Foot Wings. Thank all of you for the info in this post. I did not receive the rubber stops (stick-on) for the hand wings so I tried some cabinate door stops that I had lying around. I do not know if it the cold of the garage or the Liquid Glass polish that I use, but the stickers won't stick. I am going to try the rubber door guard stuff.

Drilling into the trim was not something that I wanted to do but the templates helped me acheive a nice clean install. Oh and by the way, the template for the hand wings ends up being upside down AND backward for the install on the F6B. I figured it out but it seems that Baker doesn't know that the F6B mirrors are upside down when compared to the GL1800.

Thanks again everyone!

terrydj
03-02-2015, 02:48 PM
What do they actually do???
I have no idea:icon_cool:

Hornblower
03-02-2015, 03:08 PM
What do they actually do???
I have no idea:icon_cool:

Well, Terry, they are "stops" and they do what stops do, they determine the open position of the wings. There's a stop on the closed position too which is the rubber bumper on the fairing. With the open-position stop, you simply rotate the wings open until they contact the stop. So, there's no guesswork on how far to rotate the wings and the added advantage is that sudden gusts of wind can't blow them totally out-of-position.

53driver
03-02-2015, 03:16 PM
My Baker Hand Wings are coming this week, I hope.
Need to get them installed before the journey to Bike Week.

terrydj
03-02-2015, 04:19 PM
Well, Terry, they are "stops" and they do what stops do, they determine the open position of the wings. There's a stop on the closed position too which is the rubber bumper on the fairing. With the open-position stop, you simply rotate the wings open until they contact the stop. So, there's no guesswork on how far to rotate the wings and the added advantage is that sudden gusts of wind can't blow them totally out-of-position.

Ahhhh OK
So they determine the open position of the wings??????/
So yah put them on so that you know what position they should be in??????
But if their not on you don"t care what position their in??????
Me I don't care so I'll keep em off
But obviously a lot of people do care what position they should be in
And if their not on sudden gusts of wind won't bother them???????
So I'm actually doing the wings a favor by not putting them on :icon_cool:

53driver
03-02-2015, 07:02 PM
So I'm actually doing the wings a favor by not putting them on :icon_cool:

Lol.....If it wasn't so bloody cold and the wind chill on the highway on the hands literally in the negative numbers on the F scale, I'd pass too.
Maybe I'll live somewhere where I can remove them and sell them. Someday.....

terrydj
03-03-2015, 01:53 PM
Lol.....If it wasn't so bloody cold and the wind chill on the highway on the hands literally in the negative numbers on the F scale, I'd pass too.
Maybe I'll live somewhere where I can remove them and sell them. Someday.....

Mate so they stop the wind???
On my bike I get no wind on the hands but heaps of it below em
Tested it out today
Think the mirrors block it out
This week on the Gold Coast up to 37 Celsius that's 100 F:icon_cool:

hiflyer
03-03-2015, 06:00 PM

That's why you need them, to direct flow towards your body when it's bloody hot! Best accy. I've added to any bike....ever!

bobbyf6b
03-03-2015, 06:43 PM
Tested it out today

They also block wind from the rider and especially passengers ears.

Less wind noise = better sounding music.

terrydj
03-03-2015, 07:35 PM
That's why you need them, to direct flow towards your body when it's bloody hot! Best accy. I've added to any bike....ever!

I gets heaps of breeze
Havnt got one of them screens that keeps the wind off
I know why dogs keep their heads out the windows
But I would of loved swimming if their was some kind of accessories that kept me from getting wet:icon_laugh:

Reedman71
03-04-2015, 09:45 AM
Here are my Baker wings installed. I used auto trim instead of the stick on rubber pads for the hand wings.

yellow rex
03-04-2015, 10:26 PM
I have two set of Baker mirror air wings one set on my 02 wing, one set on the wife's
Road Smith I love the look but I do not like the friction part to keep them from rotating
around, but on the F6b I have National Cycle with the ratchet mechanism, don't like the
look as well as the Bakers, but they stay in position at any speed up to about 105mph.

terrydj
03-08-2015, 09:21 PM
I found a link? video for those that don't know why dog's hang their heads out windows:icon_cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHIrsrj8sz0&t=118

Fla_rider
03-09-2015, 10:06 AM
Tested it out today

Terry the open Stop directs the wind towards your body. 90 degress open should direct wind to the driver and angle it in somehwhat. If the Open stop isn't there the deflector will rotate too far and reduce air flow.

Reedman71
03-10-2015, 06:27 AM
I finally had a chance to try out the Baker wings. Long story short, I love them. Everything worked as advertised. No vibrations at speed on the highway. Just a great product. Two thumbs up! :biggthumpup::biggthumpup: