PDA

View Full Version : Wing Ding Trip 2013

Cool Hand Luke
07-08-2013, 06:18 PM
OK, so I rode to Wing Ding this year which took place in Greenville SC. Some interesting observations:

1. LOTS OF RAIN! I made it a 4 day ride into Smoky Mountains and this was my wettest trip by far. I should have gone to the beach instead. Still, I enjoyed the trip even if I stayed in my rain suit most of the time. Rain did make it a bit cooler, it was mostly in the 70's. Yesterday while on top of Blue Ridge Parkway it also got very foggy (see pictures), but I made it in one piece.

2. When I got to to see the vendor's show at Wing Ding I texted my wife: 'It's an AARP Convention up here!' I felt I was out of place among all the people who can be my grandparents! And I'm 44! Nice people though.

3. I met Pete from Bikemp3, great guy with some very nice products. I got some lights installed at his booth. Pete has Rush pipes on his orange F6B and he let it run. Rush pipes sound AMAZING! Very deep bass sound, not too loud, just kind of full sound. I am still waiting to hear Cobra 6 pipes as I just love their hot rod looks, but I just may get Rush pipes instead.

4. I also met the owner of Rivco Products. He and another gentleman from Rivco came over, looked at my F6B and asked how I liked my new aero pegs. I love them! I was also shown that to open them while riding one needs to reach under the pegs and pull them with their boots as the pegs have a groove underneath. That's easy! Great guys, great company! I saw a prototype black floorboards for F6B and they look good but not ready yet for production. I think Rivco will have more new products for our bike soon!

5. Schroeder's Honda was there and they have adopted handlebar risers for F6B that puts handlebar about 3" straight up. I tried it and it fits much better than stock for me. I was told they take two Kuryakyn risers and position them so there is no pull back, only straight up. Bars clear the windshield and mirrors at full turn, too. All in all great product. They also had Corbin seats on two specially painted F6B's on display. The risers are on the orange and black bike BEHIND the green bike, if you look close you can see the difference in handlebar position between the two bikes (sorry don't have a better picture).

6. Riding at Deals Gap was fun, not raining at the moment! I posted the pictures they took of me riding (didn't buy them yet, still thinking about it).

Cool Hand Luke
07-08-2013, 06:21 PM
More pictures... These are the free ones...

michaels
07-08-2013, 06:32 PM
Pictures #3 & #4 in the light mist....Great desktop backgrounds! Last time on deals gap i was on a ST1100, hope to go back on My F6B...thanks for the report!

Cool Hand Luke
07-08-2013, 07:37 PM
Pictures #3 & #4 in the light mist....Great desktop backgrounds! Last time on deals gap i was on a ST1100, hope to go back on My F6B...thanks for the report!

Thanks, I agree.

In case you are wondering about ground clearance of aero pegs, here are pictures of me riding the Deals Gap with my feet comfortably stretched on them. Only touched down on my boot heel couple of times, never the pegs.

While at Wing Ding I watched Rivco guy stand on aero peg to prove how sturdy they are. They said he was 175 lbs. they also made a movie about dropping the bike and aero peg holding the bike's weight without bending. I believe Rivco will post that movie and / or pictures on this forum soon.

michaels
07-08-2013, 07:59 PM
I knew that the aero pegs look Great, but i was wondering about dragging...thanks for the info i just might have to spend the money! LOL credit card here i come!

chipmaker
07-08-2013, 08:00 PM
5. Schroeder's Honda was there and they have adopted handlebar risers for F6B that puts handlebar about 3" straight up. I tried it and it fits much better than stock for me. I was told they take two Kuryakyn risers and position them so there is no pull back, only straight up. Bars clear the windshield and mirrors at full turn, too. All in all great product. They also had Corbin seats on two specially painted F6B's on display. The risers are on the orange and black bike BEHIND the green bike, if you look close you can see the difference in handlebar position between the two bikes (sorry don't have a better picture).

3" straight up, that's almost baby apes! Sweet...

Also looks like the green bike has a riser on the pass backrest?

edgeman55
07-08-2013, 08:14 PM
More pictures... These are the free ones...

Nice pictures Luke-What is that helmet your wearin?

Cool Hand Luke
07-08-2013, 08:21 PM
3" straight up, that's almost baby apes! Sweet...

Also looks like the green bike has a riser on the pass backrest?

You've got a keen eye, sir... Those are risers. They are made of two chromed tool wrenches. I was told it was cheaper than to fabricate their own.

As far as handlebar risers I tried them. They seem very comfortable. Ergonomically speaking one's arms should be fairly straight while riding, almost in line with one's shoulders. These risers brought my hands just slightly below my shoulders. Seems like they would give a better leverage in turning as well.

It's nice to see all the new items made for F6B.

Cool Hand Luke
07-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Nice pictures Luke-What is that helmet your wearin?

It is Bilt Pilot Helmet sold at Cyclegear stores. It has a dual visor. I replaced outer clear visor with dark tinted one. The internal visor is light tinted. This way I don't need to wear glasses or goggles while riding. I try not to ride at night, but when I do I use the internal visor only as it is only lightly tinted. I think I paid about $50 for this helmet, very good for price. I have probably another 7 helmets in garage but this is currently my favorite.

I wish they make a dark tinted inner visor replacement, that way I would keep the clear outer visor.

bobbyf6b
07-08-2013, 11:07 PM
Great pics!

I'm thinking of installing the little rectangular LED lights on mine too, by the license plate. Were they easy to wire up and where?

I also like your jacket! I haven't seen one like that. I just bought a three layer Tour Master. Mesh outside, rain liner, then quilted liner.

Cool Hand Luke
07-09-2013, 06:04 AM
Great pics!

I'm thinking of installing the little rectangular LED lights on mine too, by the license plate. Were they easy to wire up and where?

I also like your jacket! I haven't seen one like that. I just bought a three layer Tour Master. Mesh outside, rain liner, then quilted liner.

Those lights are called Hyperlites. They mount by using the metal bracket attached to license plate. I had them installed at Americade but it was simple, they are hard wired to taillights assembly. Hyperlites are easily the brightest lights on the bike, they function as running and brake lights and also have a blinking pattern when braking. Mine are set to blink five times than go steady.

Jacket is Joe Rocket mesh. It comes with removable waterproof liner. It is very comfortable and versatile. I bought it at Wing Ding. Here is a link at wingstuff.com:

http://wingstuff.com/products/34284-skyline-2-0-mesh-gw-jacket-mens-black?context=mens_jackets