PDA

View Full Version : Noticed an issue with the brake and turn signal plugs

stepbill
03-02-2015, 10:52 AM
I was trying to install the set of SoCal led's for the brake lights and turn signals on my F6B. The brake bulbs looked like the plug ins melted to a portion of the bulb and were extremely hard to remove the bulb. I put the original bulbs back in and intend to take the bike to the dealers cause it's still under warranty. When I tried to place the bulbs in the turn signals, the led's did not want to hold in the plug real tight. The front turn signals, both bulbs fell into the lens area and I have to remove the lens to remove the bulbs. Curious if anyone else has had an issue like this? I'm really concerned with how the brake lights and sockets looked, like they were overheating. My issue with the turn signal plugs is with the front turn signals only as they are made of a soft material, not a rigid material like the rear plugs.

bigbird
03-02-2015, 11:23 AM
I had a problem with the front turn signals using socalmoto LED's.
My problem was that the front LED's would not work properly. I wiggled them around in their sockets to try and seat them better. After doing that, I discovered my rear red running lights ceased to operate. I discovered the 15A fuse for the rear running lights had blown. Both the front LED's plastic around the pins had melted due to shorting out with the socket contacts.

I contacted socalmoto and they immediately responded with a phone # direct to their tech. He verified that my problem was very rare, and he had only encountered this problem once before, on his personal GL1800 test mule. It turns out that the front turn signal/running light sockets are not a perfect match for their front LED's The bulbs do not seat properly. The tech ended up sending me a new front set of LED's with pigtailed wires soldered to the bulb bases and wrapped with heat shrink. He had me drill out the stock bulb sockets with a .25" drill bit to run the pigtail through. Then the pigtailed wires get spliced to the wires exiting the harness. It works, but it was a PITA.

I had no such issue with the rear sockets for the brake/running red LED's and also no trouble with the rear turn signal LED's.
I know you can only contact socalmoto by email, but their response was first rate. They should reply to you within 1 hour during the week.

stepbill
03-02-2015, 03:29 PM
My problem was that the front LED's would not work properly. I wiggled them around in their sockets to try and seat them better. After doing that, I discovered my rear red running lights ceased to operate. I discovered the 15A fuse for the rear running lights had blown. Both the front LED's plastic around the pins had melted due to shorting out with the socket contacts.

I contacted socalmoto and they immediately responded with a phone # direct to their tech. He verified that my problem was very rare, and he had only encountered this problem once before, on his personal GL1800 test mule. It turns out that the front turn signal/running light sockets are not a perfect match for their front LED's The bulbs do not seat properly. The tech ended up sending me a new front set of LED's with pigtailed wires soldered to the bulb bases and wrapped with heat shrink. He had me drill out the stock bulb sockets with a .25" drill bit to run the pigtail through. Then the pigtailed wires get spliced to the wires exiting the harness. It works, but it was a PITA.

I had no such issue with the rear sockets for the brake/running red LED's and also no trouble with the rear turn signal LED's.
I know you can only contact socalmoto by email, but their response was first rate. They should reply to you within 1 hour during the week.

Thanks!!!! I just sent them an email.

bigdew
03-03-2015, 10:31 PM
I just installed a full set this past week and mine went in snug without any issues. I did notice I had to make sure they were pushed all the way in, but no burning or overheating with mine. The only issue I came across was just having to flip the bulbs around because of reverse polarity. They are defiantly a great addition to the bike.

eloyo79
03-15-2015, 02:29 AM
So, I'm having the same exact issue. My left turn signal bulb melted a little and I'm still having trouble getting them to work. I've contacted Socal and they're supposed to be sending me a new pair of of bulbs for the front.

Tim, the guy I talked to through email hasn't mentioned anything about drilling anything... it really sounds like to much of a hassle... my rear LEDs work fine with the new turn signal modulator.

I hope I don't have any if these issues with my hi/lo HID kit from Socal.

~Eddie

smokinjoe187
03-15-2015, 02:52 AM
So, I'm having the same exact issue. My left turn signal bulb melted a little and I'm still having trouble getting them to work. I've contacted Socal and they're supposed to be sending me a new pair of of bulbs for the front.

Tim, the guy I talked to through email hasn't mentioned anything about drilling anything... it really sounds like to much of a hassle... my rear LEDs work fine with the new turn signal modulator.

~Eddie

some times stock is the way to go...29 k...no issues

bigbird
03-15-2015, 08:50 AM

~Eddie

Tim is the front line guy at socalmoto. He's not the tech expert.
He redirected me to Jack, their tech guy.
Tim gave me Jack's direct phone #.
Jack made up and sent me a new set of front led bulbs that had the pigtails attached. Those are the ones that need the stock front bulb bases drilled out.

DaWadd
03-15-2015, 09:28 AM
some times stock is the way to go...29 k...no issues

My sentiments exactly.:yes:

53driver
03-16-2015, 02:39 PM
Got the Switchbacks on front and the LEDs in the rear installed at the SoCal tent at Daytona.
Like $50 in total labor. Well worth it.
Works properly too....but now I'll be doing preflights on all lights based on this thread for awhile...

bigbird
03-16-2015, 04:16 PM
Got the Switchbacks on front and the LEDs in the rear installed at the SoCal tent at Daytona.
Like $50 in total labor. Well worth it.
Works properly too....but now I'll be doing preflights on all lights based on this thread for awhile...

Did that $50 labor charge include replacing the stock flasher module with the LED module?
If so, that's very reasonable.

53driver
03-16-2015, 04:21 PM
Did that $50 labor charge include replacing the stock flasher module with the LED module?
If so, that's very reasonable.

Yes it did. They had a dude there with little arms....

bigbird
03-16-2015, 07:24 PM
They had a dude there with little arms....

I believe you, but I'd sure like to see a pic of a guy reaching in there without removing a bunch of shelters to get to that module.

53driver
03-16-2015, 09:58 PM
I believe you, but I'd sure like to see a pic of a guy reaching in there without removing a bunch of shelters to get to that module.

I know he popped the top cowling up. Not sure what else. I walked away, I know I don't like people watching me work. Especially pilots.....