PDA

View Full Version : North Coast 500

Paul B Blues
03-04-2015, 06:34 AM
This is what you can expect when you make it to the Highlands. That is of course when it's not snowing or raining!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2975434/Scotland-s-answer-Route-66-North-Coast-500-unveiled-drivers-scenic-trip-past-fairytale-castles-beaches-ruins.html

Fla_rider
03-04-2015, 06:43 AM
Next time you show us a wonderful picture of the highlands we will expect your F6B to be in the back ground..batman-smilie. Maybe after the spring snow goes away!:lolup:

RickJ
03-04-2015, 06:46 AM
My heart's in the Highlands, my heart is not here,
My heart's in the Highlands a-chasing the deer -
A-chasing the wild deer, and following the roe;
My heart's in the Highlands, wherever I go.

Farewell to the Highlands, farewell to the North
The birth place of Valour, the country of Worth;
Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love.

Farewell to the mountains high cover'd with snow;
Farewell to the straths and green valleys below;
Farewell to the forrests and wild-hanging woods;
Farwell to the torrents and loud-pouring floods.

My heart's in the Highlands, my heart is not here,
My heart's in the Highlands a-chasing the deer
Chasing the wild deer, and following the roe;
My heart's in the Highlands, whereever I go.

Robert Burns

Paul B Blues
03-04-2015, 08:40 AM
Next time you show us a wonderful picture of the highlands we will expect your F6B to be in the back ground..batman-smilie. Maybe after the spring snow goes away!:lolup:

Well this sort of qualifies, it was taken on my helmet cam and hasn't been Photoshopped to make it look even more beautiful!!

RickJ
03-04-2015, 09:05 AM
yer driving on the wrong side of the road!:icon_wink:

Paul B Blues
03-04-2015, 09:19 AM
yer driving on the wrong side of the road!:icon_wink:

Ha ha, yes that is something you'll have to do when you come over :motorcycle2: 12050

Jim
03-04-2015, 11:12 AM
My Grandfather was from Edinburgh Scotland. He came over hear after serving in the Navy over there during world war 1. Had quite a Scottish brogue. Retire from Kellogg's after 40 years, every one called him Scotty. He always said how pretty Scotland was. I still have family over there, but have never met them. It is certainly on my bucket list to some day go over there.

Fla_rider
03-04-2015, 11:15 AM
My Grandfather was from Edinburgh Scotland. He came over hear after serving in the Navy over there during world war 1. Had quite a Scottish brogue. Retire from Kellogg's after 40 years, every one called him Scotty. He always said how pretty Scotland was. I still have family over there, but have never met them. It is certainly on my bucket list to some day go over there.

Make it happen Jim! Commit to it!

RoadSurfer
03-04-2015, 03:49 PM
That scene looks a lot like this one, Paul B: 12065

53driver
03-04-2015, 08:45 PM
This is what you can expect when you make it to the Highlands. That is of course when it's not snowing or raining!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2975434/Scotland-s-answer-Route-66-North-Coast-500-unveiled-drivers-scenic-trip-past-fairytale-castles-beaches-ruins.html

I want to do a two/three week motorcycle/scotch tour of England and Scotland.
Recommendations?

Paul B Blues
03-07-2015, 06:25 AM

No time like the present Jim, it's always good to make connections with your family, gives you an idea where you come from.

Paul B Blues
03-07-2015, 06:34 AM
I want to do a two/three week motorcycle/scotch tour of England and Scotland.
Recommendations?

I can only vouch for the places I have lived in the UK and Ireland. The further north of England you go the more beautiful and wild it becomes. I lived in Yorkshire for two years when my regiment was the Training Regiment, it's a beautiful place with amazing bike roads. Cumbria is also very beautiful with amazing roads. Of course The Highlands has everything you could want, as long as you don't mind all four seasons in one day. Ireland is the same, Southern Ireland has a whole new road structure, but lots of narrow country roads are still to be had.

Paul B Blues
03-07-2015, 06:35 AM
That scene looks a lot like this one, Paul B: 12065

Yes the newspaper have made it look lots brighter, but mine is just as it was taken and not touched up!

Jimmytee
03-07-2015, 06:39 AM
I'd love to someday take a tour of Europe on a motorcycle. Unless I hit the lottery, that will be a hard thing to accomplish."coffee"

I have family heritage that includes Scotland. The only documented lineage is from my dad's mother's side which is German. However, that side has been here since before the Revolutionary war. They went from the colonies to what is now Canada and came down into the upper peninsula of Michigan.

Paul B Blues
03-07-2015, 06:59 AM
I'd love to someday take a tour of Europe on a motorcycle. Unless I hit the lottery, that will be a hard thing to accomplish."coffee"

I have family heritage that includes Scotland. The only documented lineage is from my dad's mother's side which is German. However, that side has been here since before the Revolutionary war. They went from the colonies to what is now Canada and came down into the upper peninsula of Michigan.

Why not do it in little steps Jimmy, try the UK first, then if you like it then Europe. You could see Scotland this way, let someone else take the strain.

http://www.triketoursscotland.com/ 12122

Jimmytee
03-07-2015, 07:05 AM
Why not do it in little steps Jimmy, try the UK first, then if you like it then Europe. You could see Scotland this way, let someone else take the strain.

http://www.triketoursscotland.com/ 12122

Looks interesting. Just did a quick look. Will look in more detail later. My initial thoughts are that I'd rather be on 2 wheels, but it still would probably be fun.:biggthumpup:

Paul B Blues
03-07-2015, 07:12 AM
Looks interesting. Just did a quick look. Will look in more detail later. My initial thoughts are that I'd rather be on 2 wheels, but it still would probably be fun.:biggthumpup:

I'd say stop of at some of the Whisky distilleries around here, but there are so many you'd never have the time, plus after a few whiskies you wouldn't remember being here!!'all/right'

Jimmytee
03-07-2015, 07:13 AM
I'd say stop of at some of the Whisky distilleries around here, but there are so many you'd never have the time, plus after a few whiskies you wouldn't remember being here!!'all/right'

We drink Bourbon 'round these parts. :039:

Jimmytee
03-07-2015, 07:17 AM
Besides Fried Chicken and basketball, Bourbon is one of Kentucky's claim to fame. Here we have what is called the "Bourbon Trail" It is a nice way to spend a Saturday riding unless you like to partake too much of the samples, then I recommend someone drive you.:icon_biggrin:

Paul B Blues
03-07-2015, 07:28 AM
Besides Fried Chicken and basketball, Bourbon is one of Kentucky's claim to fame. Here we have what is called the "Bourbon Trail" It is a nice way to spend a Saturday riding unless you like to partake too much of the samples, then I recommend someone drive you.:icon_biggrin:

You're talking to the converted Jimmy, I don't drink Whisky, only Bourbon :yes:

RoadSurfer
03-07-2015, 08:14 AM
Yes the newspaper have made it look lots brighter, but mine is just as it was taken and not touched up!

My pic was taken by me in the course of a tour of the Highlands in 2007, Paul. Just one of many in my album of that trip that captured the great roads of that part of the world.

Paul B Blues
03-07-2015, 11:10 AM
My pic was taken by me in the course of a tour of the Highlands in 2007, Paul. Just one of many in my album of that trip that captured the great roads of that part of the world.

Hey that's fantastic, I hadn't realised it was your own picture. Things are changing here all the time, some good, some not so good. If you come back this way then look me up.'welcome gang'

Limoles
03-07-2015, 11:45 AM
You're talking to the converted Jimmy, I don't drink Whisky, only Bourbon :yes:

Really ? How it can be ? I thought Kentucky is famous of different brand .

Paul B Blues
03-07-2015, 01:24 PM

Oh that's easy, when I was 16 I drank a large bottle of whisky before heading to the disco! I was ill for days afterwards. Also in the Irish regiments on St Patrick's Day we get given Gunfire. That's a very large drop of Irish whisky in some coffee, it's served to us by the officers before breakfast. Drinking that before your Cornflakes can put you of for sure. Don't get me wrong I do have the odd nip when I'm out and about, my I prefer Bourbon.

Jimmytee
03-07-2015, 03:35 PM

Not that other things aren't made here, but Bourbon, did you know it is not Bourbon if it's not made in Kentucky? Bourbon is exclusive to Kentucky. I left one other big thing off the Kentucky is famous for list,,,, Horse Racing and horses:icon_rolleyes:

Limoles
03-07-2015, 07:45 PM
If comes to history of bourbon whiskey , some other mysterious secrets may be discovered :

Kentucky is famous for its bourbon whiskey, but even most Kentuckians don't know that bourbon is the invention of a Baptist minister. In Kentucky's late 18th Century frontier days, cash was scarce. Many people conducted business via barter, including supporting their churches. The local minister would receive far more tithes in grain than he could ever eat or resell, so most ran distilleries. In what was then called Bourbon County (and is now Scott County), Baptist minister and notorious cheapskate Elijah Craig was no exception. As the story goes, Craig decided to burn out the inside of the oak barrels he aged his whiskey in so he could get one more use out of them. Turns out people liked the flavor imparted by Craig's charred oak more than the straight, regular-oak aged whiskey, and thus bourbon whiskey was born. The sad irony of all this is that Baptists became teetotalers and Scott County went dry. While stolidly Baptist Scott County is now dry as a bone, local legend has it that several casks of Elijah Craig's original bourbon were placed inside the columns of the administration building of the equally Baptist Georgetown College. The legend never fails to lure guillible frat boys into trying to crack those columns open about once a decade.

Does "The Blue Grass" has anything to do with another legends ?

Being part Appalachian, Kentuckians are used to inbreeding jokes. However, there is one joke about Kentucky and inbreeding that's funny because it's true: The story of the Blue Fugates of Troublesome Creek. The Fugates were an extended family living in an isolated hollow in Eastern Kentucky ominously named Troublesome Creek. Most members of the family had "hereditary methemoglobinemia." This is an enzyme deficiency that causes a person's blood to run vein blue as opposed to arterial red. Instead of being pink, these people are tinted blue or purple. The condition is based on a recessive gene; the only way to acquire it is if both your parents pass down the love. So what were the odds of clan founder Martin Fugate taking another methemoglobinemia carrier as his wife? He did, and they settled in Troublesome Creek sometime in the mid 19th Century. Cousins marrying cousins was commonplace among isolated Appalachians, so by the time a doctor discovered the Fugates in the 1960s, there were several blue people living in the hills around Hazard.

flyboy
03-07-2015, 08:20 PM
If comes to history of bourbon whiskey , some other mysterious secrets may be discovered :

Kentucky is famous for its bourbon whiskey, but even most Kentuckians don't know that bourbon is the invention of a Baptist minister. In Kentucky's late 18th Century frontier days, cash was scarce. Many people conducted business via barter, including supporting their churches. The local minister would receive far more tithes in grain than he could ever eat or resell, so most ran distilleries. In what was then called Bourbon County (and is now Scott County), Baptist minister and notorious cheapskate Elijah Craig was no exception. As the story goes, Craig decided to burn out the inside of the oak barrels he aged his whiskey in so he could get one more use out of them. Turns out people liked the flavor imparted by Craig's charred oak more than the straight, regular-oak aged whiskey, and thus bourbon whiskey was born. The sad irony of all this is that Baptists became teetotalers and Scott County went dry. While stolidly Baptist Scott County is now dry as a bone, local legend has it that several casks of Elijah Craig's original bourbon were placed inside the columns of the administration building of the equally Baptist Georgetown College. The legend never fails to lure guillible frat boys into trying to crack those columns open about once a decade.

Does "The Blue Grass" has anything to do with another legends ?

Being part Appalachian, Kentuckians are used to inbreeding jokes. However, there is one joke about Kentucky and inbreeding that's funny because it's true: The story of the Blue Fugates of Troublesome Creek. The Fugates were an extended family living in an isolated hollow in Eastern Kentucky ominously named Troublesome Creek. Most members of the family had "hereditary methemoglobinemia." This is an enzyme deficiency that causes a person's blood to run vein blue as opposed to arterial red. Instead of being pink, these people are tinted blue or purple. The condition is based on a recessive gene; the only way to acquire it is if both your parents pass down the love. So what were the odds of clan founder Martin Fugate taking another methemoglobinemia carrier as his wife? He did, and they settled in Troublesome Creek sometime in the mid 19th Century. Cousins marrying cousins was commonplace among isolated Appalachians, so by the time a doctor discovered the Fugates in the 1960s, there were several blue people living in the hills around Hazard.

Interesting story!

srt8-in-largo
03-07-2015, 10:09 PM
You lucky bastard; magnificent. Thanks for sharing.

RoadSurfer
03-08-2015, 08:09 AM

Finally an explanation for the color of the Naavi people in the movie "Avatar"!

Paul B Blues
03-08-2015, 08:43 AM
Not that other things aren't made here, but Bourbon, did you know it is not Bourbon if it's not made in Kentucky? Bourbon is exclusive to Kentucky. I left one other big thing off the Kentucky is famous for list,,,, Horse Racing and horses:icon_rolleyes:

Well I'll be drinking most of this with a pal of mine, he's just landed a great job so we'll be celebrating and listening to great Blues tunes too.

12152 :banana:

Jimmytee
03-08-2015, 10:59 AM
Well I'll be drinking most of this with a pal of mine, he's just landed a great job so we'll be celebrating and listening to great Blues tunes too.

12152 :banana:

Sounds like a good evening.:biggthumpup: