PDA

View Full Version : USB memory stick

stevenolts
03-06-2015, 09:05 AM
I would like to buy a USB memory stick. Are there any specific size or type requirements for these that will work on the 2013 F6B stock stereo?
How well do these work? Can you just plug it in and turn your stereo on, select USB input and then see all your songs through the stereo?
Is this higher quality or louder and clearer than the auxiliary input (analog) versus USB (digital)?
Do you guys have any advice about this?

It seems like the way to go because using this to provide music will save the battery on my cell phone for GPS and phone calls only.

Do you guys run your cell phone plugged into the accessory power supply added inide the left side glove box? or on a mount?
Do you have any recommendations for how to mount the cell phone?

Thank you,

Steve

Limoles
03-06-2015, 10:26 AM
http://www.ehow.com/facts_4882290_what-function-usb-flash-drive.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_flash_drive

jaygollner
03-06-2015, 11:52 AM
I use a memory stick and am very happy with it, If I recall correctly you have to put your songs in folders that contain up to (250) songs each, double check that number in your owners manual. You can then play your music either by folder or completely random, I have about 1200 +/- songs on my memory stick and add more whenever I get something I like. Another tip is to rip the songs at the highest bitrate?/ quality possible for best results. Finally a small piece of Velcro applied to the stick and the inside of the saddlebag will hold the stick in place.

tinknocker
03-06-2015, 05:44 PM
While this is a really good option..I keep my music on my phone and am always adding to my library I just purchased one of these...can't wait to try it out.12102

six2go
03-06-2015, 06:56 PM
Digital music and digital photography have passed me by. I just listen to the radio. Might have to figure out this memory stick thing someday. :banghead:

Jimmytee
03-06-2015, 07:21 PM
I have a SANDISK brand thumb or flash drive. It is a 64 Gig. I don't have it anywhere close to being full. The one I have has a micro USB on one side and a regular USB on the other. I just simply load MP3s from my computer through Windows Media. Works like a charm.:yes:

Doug44
03-06-2015, 11:01 PM
I would like to buy a USB memory stick. Are there any specific size or type requirements for these that will work on the 2013 F6B stock stereo?
How well do these work? Can you just plug it in and turn your stereo on, select USB input and then see all your songs through the stereo?
Is this higher quality or louder and clearer than the auxiliary input (analog) versus USB (digital)?

It seems like the way to go because using this to provide music will save the battery on my cell phone for GPS and phone calls only.

Do you guys run your cell phone plugged into the accessory power supply added inide the left side glove box? or on a mount?

Thank you,

Steve

Steve, the USB memory stick with music is the only way to go IMO. I just watched the sales and bought a 64G @ Best Buy for under $25. I now have thousands of songs including the top 100 songs from 1946-2010 and this stick has a bunch of space left to add more. Once you get the hang of selecting the music to play over the F6 it is wonderful.

As for my phone I keep it on my waist and blue tooth it into my helmet with a Sena unit.

terrydj
03-07-2015, 11:37 PM
Well I just did it
Put a couple of thousand songs on a stick and stuck it in with Velcro.
And yah can up and down the songs using the Channel change on the radio
The Ipod's retired
just flasher than a rat with a gold tooth:icon_cool:

Vudu_52
03-10-2015, 06:41 PM
How do you guys manage songs, I don't want to scroll through thousands of songs while riding.
The owners manual says folders can have eight level hierarchy, but it only reads the bottom level.
I've got 194 folders on a 16gb stick and I'm finding it's unmanageable.

The Wingstuff software suggests using 16 folders maximum with 99 songs each.

srt8-in-largo
03-10-2015, 11:18 PM
IIRC the F6 system recognizes 65,000+ mp3's... but they have to be organized in folders with each folder having no more than 255 mp3's. Forget what anybody might say, just look in the owners manual.

In the root folder on my USB flash I have a series of folders called Music1, Music2, Music3, etc. I normally just set the system to A.RDM which is "all random" and it randomly selects music from all of my folders.

Also, my folders are alphabetized, so if I want to find a specific song I just use the fairing knobs to navigate the folders.

srt8-in-largo
03-10-2015, 11:23 PM
Sometimes the system can be finicky about refreshing the song database, like if you just add one or two songs to the USB folder the system may not see them.

I might be doing something wrong, but I almost always have to delete the entire USB stick, plug it into the bike and have it show "NO SONGS FOUND", and then go back and re-copy all the songs to the USB. Kinda a PITA but luckily you don't have to do it often and it works flawlessly once it's all setup.

srt8-in-largo
03-10-2015, 11:28 PM
Digital music and digital photography have passed me by. I just listen to the radio. Might have to figure out this memory stick thing someday. :banghead:

AWWWWWW MAAAANNNNN. Get on the bus, Gus.

srt8-in-largo
03-10-2015, 11:31 PM
I use a memory stick and am very happy with it, If I recall correctly you have to put your songs in folders that contain up to (250) songs each, double check that number in your owners manual. You can then play your music either by folder or completely random, I have about 1200 +/- songs on my memory stick and add more whenever I get something I like. Another tip is to rip the songs at the highest bitrate?/ quality possible for best results. Finally a small piece of Velcro applied to the stick and the inside of the saddlebag will hold the stick in place.

I think I just repeated what you said here.

Bitrate is definitely a good point; listening to low bitrate music is like listening to AM.

stevenolts
03-12-2015, 03:04 PM
I bought a 32gb tiny little SAN DISK it looks like a cap for the USB cable. I loaded all my songs on (a ton) in four alphbetical groups. It was playing on the way to work today. I guess over the weekend I will put it into one folder for each letter to aid if I wanted to find a group or song.

You have to love having it all on the disk (no battery to charge)

Is the USB connection better quality (digital) versus the aux connection (analog) to your phone? I don't know if that is true but I heard that.

Thank you, Steve

srt8-in-largo
03-12-2015, 08:22 PM
I bought a 32gb tiny little SAN DISK it looks like a cap for the USB cable. I loaded all my songs on (a ton) in four alphbetical groups. It was playing on the way to work today. I guess over the weekend I will put it into one folder for each letter to aid if I wanted to find a group or song.

You have to love having it all on the disk (no battery to charge)

Is the USB connection better quality (digital) versus the aux connection (analog) to your phone? I don't know if that is true but I heard that.

Thank you, Steve

As much as I loath taxes (because the gov't wastes so much of it) I appreciate that at least some of it goes to fund Universities, which in turn helps lead to cool technology like tiny yet massive digital storage. I've got 25,000 mp3's which takes up almost a quarter of a Terabyte.

The USB connection definitely has better quality... it's digital; the 3.5mm jack is analog. In a digital audio link, the only thing that will degrade the sound is if your music files are low quality to begin with. Analog, on the other hand, can encounter many things in the electrical link that can degrade the sound.

EDIT: Oops, I read your post too fast and missed your specific references to digital and analog; I guess I didn't have to be so verbose about that.

GaTeach
09-08-2015, 06:48 AM
My USB/Flash drive/iPhone issues are how I found this forum in the first place but I hadn't had time to sit down and get it worked out. Well....after downloading some really good gangsta rap and not being able to listen to it on my bike, I took the time last night to sit down and go through the process.

I'm proud to say that after several hours of threatening to pull out my .45 and shoot iTunes, I now have 182 songs in two folders on a flash drive!!! And it worked. At least it did at 2100. Today might be a different story.

Thanks for all the good info on the boards here.

Teach

stevenolts
09-08-2015, 07:09 AM
Well at least the problem brought you to this forum of should I say obsession.
Steve

stevenolts
09-08-2015, 07:09 AM
I am not into Facebook or Twitter but I seem to check the forum all day.
Steve

GaTeach
09-11-2015, 10:33 AM
Rode to work today and the USB and folders seemed to work perfectly. (for now. fingers crossed)
Yay!

It took quite a while to just do 180 songs but if it continues to work, it'll be worth it.

I determined today that I need to take NWA off my flashdrive. Some of the songs are not appropriate for pulling in the parking lot at work. Or sitting at stoplights.

GaTeach

dickiedeals
09-11-2015, 02:16 PM
My USB/Flash drive/iPhone issues are how I found this forum in the first place but I hadn't had time to sit down and get it worked out. Well....after downloading some really good gangsta rap and not being able to listen to it on my bike, I took the time last night to sit down and go through the process.

I'm proud to say that after several hours of threatening to pull out my .45 and shoot iTunes, I now have 182 songs in two folders on a flash drive!!! And it worked. At least it did at 2100. Today might be a different story.

Thanks for all the good info on the boards here.

Teach

Wow GaTeach how did you ever survive before you found us on this Forum. I for one are glad you found us. You are an asset to this Forum. I'm sure I'm speaking for others as well when I say this to you....Thank you...:039:......Dickie

taxfree4
09-11-2015, 04:26 PM

Thank you,

Steve

Kingston thumb drives are on the money:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DYQYITG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Buy it, load it, plug it in and go

dickiedeals
09-11-2015, 06:13 PM
Walmart had the Sandisc 32g for $8.49 a week or so ago..I put over a 1000 songs in several folders of 255 and had tons of room left right before Franklin....................Dickie

Pondrocket
05-04-2016, 09:48 PM
Hey I have been messing with iTunes for about 2 hours now and can't figure out what file extension to use. I got one to 1/2 work. So I am wondering what file type are yall using or how can I get them from iTunes to the usb?

BradS
05-04-2016, 10:19 PM
Does music have to be downloaded from I-Tunes or is there some other way to download music onto flash drive?

pilotguy299
05-05-2016, 06:54 AM
Hey I have been messing with iTunes for about 2 hours now and can't figure out what file extension to use. I got one to 1/2 work. So I am wondering what file type are yall using or how can I get them from iTunes to the usb?

MP3 at good quality works for me. Then copy the files to the flash drive.

junkyarddog
05-05-2016, 07:11 AM
Almost 2 years later it still isn't right. I put 99 songs on 8 folders. It will play the 1st folder just fine. When it gets to song 33 or 34 in the second folder, it won't play it anymore. If I FF to folder 7, it will play all them and stop at 33 or 34 in folder 8. Warranty issue? I've done everything that has been suggested on the forum but it still isn't right. I've got almost 1TB of music on my hard drive in the house but to only be able to listen to a few songs is nerve wracking.

pilotguy299
05-05-2016, 07:41 AM
Almost 2 years later it still isn't right. I put 99 songs on 8 folders. It will play the 1st folder just fine. When it gets to song 33 or 34 in the second folder, it won't play it anymore. If I FF to folder 7, it will play all them and stop at 33 or 34 in folder 8. Warranty issue? I've done everything that has been suggested on the forum but it still isn't right. I've got almost 1TB of music on my hard drive in the house but to only be able to listen to a few songs is nerve wracking.

Are they saved in the same music format and quality setting?

I had a bunch of songs in a different MP3 quality setting, and they wouldn't play. Changed them to a different quality setting and they worked.

Willl
05-05-2016, 09:00 AM

I was having the same problem, I moved all the songs into one folder, works great now :)

junkyarddog
05-05-2016, 09:17 AM
I did that Will. At song 133 or 134, it stops. I suppose I could do it again just to make sure. Thanks

junkyarddog
05-05-2016, 09:19 AM
Pilot....I'll double check that too. Absolutely all in MP3 format. I'll check it out.

pilotguy299
05-05-2016, 02:44 PM
I had 97 folders with a total of 285 songs and it worked fine. I mean except for being able to ever find the one song I was looking for! ;)

junkyarddog
05-05-2016, 03:10 PM
Spent the entire day converting all 792 MP3's to 180 bitrate. 99 songs in 8 folders. It will play folder 1 and stop. I then put all 792 songs into folder 1 and it will play to 140 and stop. Anymore ideas anyone?

wjduke
05-05-2016, 03:17 PM
This most likely won't help, but memory on the stick was a problem I had, although different from this. Just tossing it out there. I had to go from a 128 down to a 32, but a 64 might be ok too. Don't know where you're at with what you have. Everything works fine for me now. Try the minimum you can that fits the music.

junkyarddog
05-05-2016, 03:20 PM
It's an 8 GB Patriot. I've got a Kingston at home I'll try. Maybe it's a warranty thing. I'll try some different sticks....AGAIN. :icon_deadhorse:

wjduke
05-05-2016, 03:31 PM
Maybe it's too small. The 32 I have isn't half full, but I only have 11 cd's on it. No where near what you have.

Willl
05-05-2016, 03:39 PM
Spent the entire day converting all 792 MP3's to 180 bitrate. 99 songs in 8 folders. It will play folder 1 and stop. I then put all 792 songs into folder 1 and it will play to 140 and stop. Anymore ideas anyone?

Maddening

Switch to another flash drive

Format the old flash drive, copy the music back on

Start with 50 songs and work your way up

Throw the flash drive in the trash after using it for skeet

Good Luck

Papa Tater
05-06-2016, 07:34 PM
Try disconnecting the battery 1st , the F6B USB system will sometimes do weird things as I and others have experienced - it resets it. Then check and see if your Flash Drive works correctly in other devices. Here's a link I did awhile back http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?6881-My-F6B-My-Music-and-My-USB-How-To

Mike
05-06-2016, 08:10 PM
I use a Sena 10C video blue tooth and can just say a artist name or a song title in my helmet and it will play off my phone via google.
Hands free music, phone, GPS and intercom. No folders to scroll. 100s of songs.
No problems. Or just use Pandora etc. I love it.:yes:

cruzdog954
05-06-2016, 08:37 PM
I had an old iPod with 80Gb and 12,000 songs - they all play just fine on the 2016 FSBd
I guess the iPods are a bit friendlier than USB sticks. Also, my iPhone sometimes works and mostly does not work. I just plug the iPhone on the front connector so I can play Spotify - however, annoyed that I can't skip songs.