PDA

View Full Version : Someone must find the way TO STOP texting while driving !!!

Limoles
03-06-2015, 11:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m58hGFUbICE&t=56

Phantom
03-06-2015, 12:03 PM

4 years ago, I was broad sided on the drivers door by a GMC Yukon that was traveling 55mph. The driver was texting and ran a RED traffic light and nearly killed me. I'm still paying the price.

I honk my horn when I see drivers texting, although it is NOW a crime in Florida ... it still goes on.

DaWadd
03-06-2015, 12:12 PM
Yup, thats the me me attitude too prevalent in our society. Stiffer penalties maybe?

jkelley
03-06-2015, 12:28 PM
texting and even using the phone should be stopped. It seems every time I have a close call someone has a phone against their ear. If a vehicle is in gear the phones should have the signal blocked!!!

Spanky
03-06-2015, 12:51 PM
the power to stop it is out there, but at what cost?

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/a-florida-resident-drove-around-with-a-cellphone-jammer-84369099229.html

I honk when I'm on the bike, and the loud horn seems to scare the crap out of folks. I think LEO's should ride around on bikes and peer into cars. Thats seems to be the only way to prove it.

DMAGOLDRDR
03-06-2015, 12:52 PM
texting and even using the phone should be stopped. It seems every time I have a close call someone has a phone against their ear. If a vehicle is in gear the phones should have the signal blocked!!!

I agree to an extent. It must stop and no driver should be texting while behind the wheel, BUT there is no reason that passengers have should be blocked from texting.

I also feel stiffer fines won't be enough of a deterrent because the mind set is "it won't happen to me" but do feel if you screw up you have to take responsibility for your actions. So big fines should be in place.

That being said I also have no idea what will work. It seems to be a choice that people make in total disregard for others. As it was said,,,,, too many offenders feel that what is going on in their lives are just to important to follow the law!!! BUT do it near me and if I'm in my truck I will blow the horn and try to make your drive miserable and if I'm on the bike stopped at an intersection I will reach over and knock on your window..

Limoles
03-06-2015, 01:20 PM
Before each election we can hear annoying already few major topics , oscillating only to ... be re-ellected . We are tired of repeated all over : ( Legalization of Marihuana , Equality in Salaries , Gay Marriages and Immigration ) . Among thousands of other problems , no politician is committed to enforce PUBLIC SAFETY . Incarceration AFTER THE FACT is not an answer. Since we have technology , which can be easily applied to any vehicle in motion , DEADLY TEXTING could be disrupted with simple device , making the telephone in-operational by the driver in charge . Apple pioneered already its first app , but it's still ignored by car manufacturers and Federal Dept. of Transportation . We know STUPIDITY HURTS , but finding smart alternative way to prevent accidents is better , than convincing idiots to be thoughtful ... and this must be heard in D.C.

Steve 0080
03-06-2015, 01:24 PM
In Fl it is a secondary crime...meaning the person would have to be stopped for a violation BEFORE the texting could be discussed !.... If you notice you don't see truckers on the phone...it is a federal crime...so it can be done...just no body has the stomach for it for now...when the right person is killed, then the law will change ! :nono:

terrydj
03-06-2015, 02:42 PM
I've seen riders on sports bikes texting :icon_cool:

jkelley
03-06-2015, 03:52 PM
Maybe I'm just one of the few that is older here but I seem to remember in the dark ages we didn't have the technology and I also remember everything always seemed to turn out just fine even ( god Forbid ) waiting until you got home or reached a pay phone to make your all important contact. Hell here more often than not we see the police driving around with a phone to their ear... As was said when the right person is killed the laws will change until then be very aware that actual attention paid while the general public is driving is non existent.

terrydj
03-06-2015, 04:40 PM
In Australia its illegal to use a Mobile (Cell) phone when in control of a vehicle:no:
You have to use Bluetooth remote
The fines around $400???????
But you still see it everyday :no: :icon_cool:

Steve 0080
03-06-2015, 05:33 PM
Maybe I'm just one of the few that is older here but I seem to remember in the dark ages we didn't have the technology and I also remember everything always seemed to turn out just fine even ( god Forbid ) waiting until you got home or reached a pay phone to make your all important contact. Hell here more often than not we see the police driving around with a phone to their ear... As was said when the right person is killed the laws will change until then be very aware that actual attention paid while the general public is driving is non existent.

The PoPo uses Cells now as a lot of folks use devices to intercept the raido transmissions...