PDA

View Full Version : Does our bike save us money?

ReserveBum
03-07-2015, 12:43 PM
Ran across this article on Revzilla and thought it was pretty topical. Always playing the justification game on why I need a new seat, pipes, helibars, lights, and those other necessities.

“But Honey, think of all the money I’ll save!”

"This one worked better when a gallon of petrol cost north of $4, but it’s an old standby for anyone who needs to justify a motorcycle purchase to a significant other. Superficially, it sounds plausible. But usually, it’s a lie."
"One of these people is saving money by riding a motorcycle. One is not. Left: Photo by Jon Ng. Right: Honda photo."

opas ride
03-07-2015, 12:57 PM
Ran across this article on Revzilla and thought it was pretty topical. Always playing the justification game on why I need a new seat, pipes, helibars, lights, and those other necessities.

“But Honey, think of all the money I’ll save!”

"This one worked better when a gallon of petrol cost north of $4, but it’s an old standby for anyone who needs to justify a motorcycle purchase to a significant other. Superficially, it sounds plausible. But usually, it’s a lie."
"One of these people is saving money by riding a motorcycle. One is not. Left: Photo by Jon Ng. Right: Honda photo."
Even at $4 a gallon for gas, which I hope I never see again, it is hard to justify any money savings on a motorcycle...I could buy a "boat load" of gas for all the money I have spent on Cobra pipes, Mustang seat, Baggershield, Kury grips, etc. custom paint and a bunch of other "needed" motorcycle stuff....But then, where is the fun in that!!!!

F6BPDX
03-07-2015, 01:26 PM
For me the justification isn't that it will save me money, it is that it is equal to a car and way more fun. We needed a second car, I chose a bike that I could rely on in all situations instead. It probably costs me about the same on a yearly basis as gas savings are offset by tires and goodies, but I come home happier and justify my "toys".

Steve 0080
03-07-2015, 01:43 PM
My bike is an absolute money pit!!! I would be rich if I did not own it !!!! Fact…

zeus661
03-07-2015, 02:20 PM
I get better mileage in my Prius, so my answer is no.

Hornblower
03-07-2015, 03:03 PM
With all the mods I've done it's as if I've been looking for ways to spend money on this ride :shock: But hey, that's part of the fun, right? So no...saving money had nothing to do with buying this bike!

Retired Army
03-07-2015, 03:14 PM
Damn straight your bike saves money. What do shrinks charge to listen about the wife not allowing bike ownership? :icon_rolleyes:

edgeman55
03-07-2015, 08:32 PM
Who really cares it if saves money.Way less then paying for head shrink and my goal is to drop dead when I spend my last dime-screw the kids they can make there own like momma and I did.

KennyGLVTX
03-07-2015, 09:05 PM
Who really cares it if saves money.Way less then paying for head shrink and my goal is to drop dead when I spend my last dime-screw the kids they can make there own like momma and I did.

Amen brother! :soapbox: 'riding'

flyboy
03-07-2015, 09:06 PM

+1 :lolup:

srt8-in-largo
03-07-2015, 10:01 PM
It's funny the twist this thread took... my bike is my therapy too :icon_biggrin:

jarhead22
03-08-2015, 06:37 AM
1. I still get up every morning and go to work.
2. The kids are all grown and gone.
3. The bills are all paid.
4. I do not feel the need to justify anything that i spend for my brain melt......

Old Ryder
03-08-2015, 07:40 AM
The $28.41 saved on gas is quickly absorbed by Rick W, Wingstuff, Baggershield,SoCal, etc. that ain't even talking riding gear such as my 3Bell, 2 Shoei, Oalkey, God only knows how many gloves and jackets and boots.

As for mileage my wife's MX5 gets better at 180 HP and is just as peppy.

Limoles
03-08-2015, 11:56 AM
It's funny the twist this thread took... my bike is my therapy too :icon_biggrin:

Yes - THERAPY . It was missing word I couldn't find . Riding Therapy - it is phenomenal process of recharging / refreshing or enriching our soul ; unique concept of curing all mental inefficiencies , ultimately motivating our predispositions , personality , consiousness , discipline . Riding and beautifying our machines is a peaceful transition between never ended childhood and challenging demons sleeping inside us .

It would be foolish to compare all of it to meaninglessly counted money .

bobbyf6b
03-08-2015, 12:03 PM
Time is money and I save a hell of a lot of time riding to and from work in the car pool lane! :icon_mrgreen:

shooter
03-08-2015, 05:53 PM
Are you kidding me! This thing is costing me a fortune. Pipes , tires , wheels , chrome , insurance! But I'm having a ball!!!

Old Ryder
03-08-2015, 06:26 PM
Are you kidding me! This thing is costing me a fortune. Pipes , tires , wheels , chrome , insurance! But I'm having a ball!!!

Very well worded my friend.