PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Generation

taxfree4
03-10-2015, 08:16 PM
This is a great story

https://gma.yahoo.com/emotional-moment-wwii-vet-reads-long-lost-love-155030470--abc-news-sex.html

Ridlikhel
03-10-2015, 08:38 PM
It took 52 years, but I feel I found that kind of love and it feels great.

srt8-in-largo
03-10-2015, 11:03 PM
Yup; good stuff.

Steve 0080
03-10-2015, 11:12 PM
I had neighbors for many years...they were married over 70 years at the time...ending up dying with in weeks of each other probably from heartache !

Not to much of this anymore!

srt8-in-largo
03-10-2015, 11:34 PM
It's funny how that works.

I also knew an old coupe who met as babies, married as teens, lived happily married for 70+ years, and then died naturally within weeks of each other.

terrydj
03-11-2015, 03:16 AM
I had neighbors for many years...they were married over 70 years at the time...ending up dying with in weeks of each other probably from heartache !

Not to much of this anymore!

Held my Grandmother in my arms when she died
Her husband a short stocky bloke who worked in the bush all his life, leaned over and kissed her whispered her name and a month later he also passed away.
Hard man, 1 heart attack and a plastic hip and still working in the bush.:icon_cool:

taxfree4
03-11-2015, 08:11 PM
It took 52 years, but I feel I found that kind of love and it feels great.

I know exactly what you mean, in 2006 I met up with my first love from 1975 at a local beach, we'll be married 7 years this year. Life goes from black and white to Technicolor.

taxfree4
03-12-2015, 07:26 AM
About time

JOHNSTON, R.I. – A World War II veteran from Rhode Island finally received the military honors he earned in combat while in the Army.

Eighty-nine-year-old Alfred Bettencourt, of Cranston, was presented with the Bronze Star, Purple Heart and other medals on Monday afternoon at the Morgan Health Center in Johnston.

U.S. Sen. Jack Reed hosted the surprise ceremony that was planned by Bettencourt's family and the Cranston police and fire departments. They worked with Reed's office to obtain the medals Bettencourt earned.

Bettencourt was 18 when he was wounded in France on Dec. 12, 1944. His military records were destroyed in a fire in 1973.

More than 855,000 World War II veterans were alive as of Jan. 1, according to data from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Approximately 16 million Americans served in the war.

Limoles
03-12-2015, 07:42 AM
I know exactly what you mean, in 2006 I met up with my first love from 1975 at a local beach, we'll be married 7 years this year. Life goes from black and white to Technicolor.

Lucky 7 - Lucky you . Don't forget to invite me for "7th anniversaries' wedding" cake . Does she has a sister ?

taxfree4
03-12-2015, 03:32 PM
Lucky 7 - Lucky you . Don't forget to invite me for "7th anniversaries' wedding" cake . Does she has a sister ?

It took me 3 times, 2 divorces, 2 set of lawyers I should have gotten the Purple Heart. She doesn't have a sister but I'll look into a cousin for you.

taxfree4
03-12-2015, 05:14 PM
TULSA, Okla. — Given the choice, World War II veteran Phillip Coon probably wouldn't want the formality and fuss of being honored on a military base with men and women standing at attention, dressed in full regalia — even if it was with a fistful of long-overdue medals he waited decades to receive.

So it's fitting that the awards were presented to the humble Tulsa-area man Monday evening in an informal ceremony at the Tulsa International Airport, with family and fellow veterans in attendance and little pomp and circumstance.

The 94-year-old survivor of a POW labor camp and the Bataan Death March received the Prisoner of War Medal, Bronze Star and the Combat Infantryman Badge after he and his son, Michael, returned from a trip to Japan to promote understanding and healing with the U.S.

A couple of dozen people applauded wildly after the medals were presented to Coon, who was seated in a wheelchair. He lifted his ball cap in recognition, exposing a shock of silver hair.

"I've been blessed to come this far in life," he said, a tear streaming down one cheek. "I thank the Lord for watching over me."

taxfree4
03-12-2015, 05:22 PM
BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) The family of a World War II Veteran who served in the invasion of Normandy has been honored by Congressman Brian Higgins with military medals and honors including a Bronze Star.

Born in Pennsylvania, Samuel J. Insalaco moved to Buffalo, enlisted in the U.S. Army on May 28th, 1942 and served with the 1st Infantry Division. He participated in the invasion of Normandy and the Tunisia Campaign, where he was one of many soldiers captured by the enemy.

Private First Class Samuel J. Insalaco passed away in 1989 but his son Nick Insalaco recently sent a letter to Congressman Higgins’ office requesting Congressman Higgins assistance in securing information and any awards of medals that may have been awarded his father during his years of service.

Like many veterans, Private First Class Sam Insalaco was in a hurry to get home when the war ended, so he never looked into whether he was eligible for any medals. He married Sophie and they raised a family on Buffalo’s West Side on 10th Street between Hudson and Maryland. Sam’s sons also served in the military, Nick served in the U.S. Army Reserves during the Vietnam War and Tom served in the U.S. Army in Vietnam.

Congressman Higgins worked to secure Mr. Insalaco’s medals and presented the family with the Bronze Star; Combat Infantryman Badge 1st Award; Presidential Unit Citation; European-African Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with 1 silver service star; World War II Victory Medal; Good Conduct Medal; and the Honorable Service Lapel Button WWII.

taxfree4
03-12-2015, 05:34 PM
Francois Blaizot was walking near a beach in France last summer. He had a metal detector. He found a dog tag.

Thursday, nearly 71 years after the allies stormed the beaches of Normandy, the tag was delivered to Wallace's widow at an Indianapolis retirement home.

Catherine S. Wallace, 90, had been prepared for the handoff. The event, held where she lives at the American Village retirement home, was choreographed. But even so she seemed genuinely overwhelmed.

"Oh dear, Oh. Oh, dear," she stammered through tears into a phalanx of television cameras. "I don't believe it."

Her husband, who died in 1997, didn't talk about the war much, she said. She never met any of his war buddies. She has not one photograph of him in his uniform.

He did make sure his family watched war movies, including The Longest Day, about the June 6, 1944, D-Day invasion. They would pile into the car and go to a drive-in.

taxfree4
03-12-2015, 05:40 PM
HASTINGS, Minn. - A World War II veteran from Hastings still remembers the horror. John Hankes, 93, was among the 1,800-member unit assigned to special missions in Italy and France during World War II.
In the midst of the sadness, there were some victories. One of those victories took place in 1942. John said he and members of his company successfully completed their first parachute jump.

"We celebrated, " he said adding that beer was the beverage of choice. "We had two days of training on parachute jumping. That's all. And none of us had ever been in an airplane."

John Hankes was back on a plane this month. He landed in Washington D.C. where he was honored with the Congressional Gold Medal. He is one of the few surviving members of the "First Special Service Force" -- a group that preceded the Navy Seals.

"I met two guys that I thought had been killed in my company. That was a surprise," he said. "We hugged. One didn't remember me. He's old like I am."

A stroke left John unable to walk. Now, his days are spent at the Regina Retirement Center in Hastings.

taxfree4
03-12-2015, 05:44 PM
When Mercury News reporter Julia Prodis Sulek woke up Sunday morning, she wasn't sure why she heard all the clapping and cheering outside her San Jose home.

Then she peeked outside. She saw dozens of runners zipping by, up on the sidewalk, as part of the 408k Race to the Row, which benefits the Pat Tillman Foundation.

All the commotion was for 95-year-old World War II veteran Joe Bell, who came outside in full military dress to root on the runners. But it was Bell who soon began getting all the attention.

Runners spontaneously ran up to the elderly man fully decked out in his U.S. Army Airborne brown uniform, shaking his hands, shouting, "Thank you for your service."

"It just kept happening in waves," Sulek said. "Over and over again. The runners were wonderful to give Joe that kind of respect."

Limoles
03-13-2015, 10:37 AM
It took me 3 times, 2 divorces, 2 set of lawyers I should have gotten the Purple Heart. She doesn't have a sister but I'll look into a cousin for you.

Les : "I hear you got married again, Mike." :
Mike:"Yes, for the fourth time."
Les : "What happened to your first three wives?"
Mike: "They all died."
Les : "I'm sorry, I didn't know. That's terrible How did they die?"
Mike: "The first ate poisonous mushrooms."
Les : "How awful! What about the second?"
Mike: "She ate poisonous mushrooms."
Les : "Oh no. What about the third? Did she die from poisonous mushrooms too?"
Mike: "No, she died of a broken neck."
Les : "I see, an accident ? "
Mike: "Not exactly - she refused to eat her mushrooms

terrydj
03-13-2015, 04:46 PM
A few years after my fathers death a member from the South Korean Embassy paid my mother a visit?
He presented her with an award for my father on behalf of his service to South Korea:yes:
My fathers service
Delta Company 3RAR (3 Royal Australian Regiment)
Battle honors:Korea: Presidential citation for bravery: Kapyong
Have a read: https://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/pow/korea/3rar_citation/
Australian Infantry was the first into Korea and the last to leave
I also served with the same company in the same battalion as my father, alongside others.
The top of the photo is the Royal Australian Regiment badge
The Bottom is the presidential citation to 3RAR

taxfree4
03-13-2015, 07:23 PM
Les : "I hear you got married again, Mike." :
Mike:"Yes, for the fourth time."
Les : "What happened to your first three wives?"
Mike: "They all died."
Les : "I'm sorry, I didn't know. That's terrible How did they die?"
Mike: "The first ate poisonous mushrooms."
Les : "How awful! What about the second?"
Mike: "She ate poisonous mushrooms."
Les : "Oh no. What about the third? Did she die from poisonous mushrooms too?"
Mike: "No, she died of a broken neck."
Les : "I see, an accident ? "
Mike: "Not exactly - she refused to eat her mushrooms

Why didn't I think of this, you know how much money in lawyer fees I would have saved.

taxfree4
03-14-2015, 03:27 AM
A few years after my fathers death a member from the South Korean Embassy paid my mother a visit?
He presented her with an award for my father on behalf of his service to South Korea:yes:
My fathers service
Delta Company 3RAR (3 Royal Australian Regiment)
Battle honors:Korea: Presidential citation for bravery: Kapyong
Have a read: https://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/pow/korea/3rar_citation/
Australian Infantry was the first into Korea and the last to leave
I also served with the same company in the same battalion as my father, alongside others.
The top of the photo is the Royal Australian Regiment badge
The Bottom is the presidential citation to 3RAR

Korea is truly the forgotten war, 3 years and a month and Americans lost 36,516.

taxfree4
03-23-2015, 04:38 PM
http://www.pottsmerc.com/lifestyle/20150320/oldest-surviving-wwii-veteran-recalls-service

taxfree4
03-24-2015, 08:15 AM
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a33850/ama-pilot-in-wwii/

taxfree4
03-26-2015, 07:54 AM
http://www.whas11.com/story/life/2014/10/24/roscoe-cassidy-kentucky-oldest-world-war-ii-vet/17831025/

taxfree4
03-26-2015, 07:58 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/11/11/obama-honors-veterans-at-wreath-laying-breakfast/