PDA

View Full Version : Question On Idle On Cold Start

Doug44
03-13-2015, 04:37 PM
On my new F6b on cold startup (30's-40's df) it will idle around 12-1400 RPM's UNTIL I drop it into 1st gear. Then it will jump up to 1800-2000 RPM's which makes for a tight spinster muscle while trying to get out of a tight parking space especially when it includes a tight turn. Sooooooo my question is, is this normal ? I know my last GL1800. (2006) did not do this. It just makes for hanging onto the clutch in/out until I get launched :yikes:

srt8-in-largo
03-13-2015, 05:35 PM
That doesn't sound far off from what my bike does. If I don't have time to let her warm up a bit, I take off in 2nd gear.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you but I'll espouse anyway to add to the collective knowledge... our sensored, computerized, OBD, and OBD-esque modern vehicles love to rat out problems by way of trouble codes; if you don't see any, chances are you're operating exactly as prescribed by mother Honda.

If it becomes too much of a problem, take a ride to your dealer and see if any TSB's have been issued. Or maybe even without a TSB, there's a later tune version that helps the issue. This is why I bought local; to have someone nearby to bounce such conversations off of. Although I do have GoldWingGreg nearby too...

opas ride
03-13-2015, 06:08 PM
I have not ridden yet this year, but I do remember my bike idles faster for a few minutes after start-up..Not sure that it goes as high as 1800/2000rpm as you indicated...After riding my F6B for a while now I have learned to start it, let it warm up for a few minutes in neutral while I back it slowly down my driveway, punch it into first gear and away I go...When I first got it, if I did not let it warm up for a bit it would "stumble a bit" sometimes in first until I drove a few yards or so...Now I have no issues as some on the board have experienced on cold starts....Give it some time and if your not happy, take it back to the dealer for a check......Ride safe...

ReserveBum
03-13-2015, 06:38 PM
I have it the same on my 13...just learned to give it an extra minute to warm up and 2cd gear is my friend

grendl
03-13-2015, 07:04 PM
I rarely start and take off in any of my vehicles. When my bikes have been sitting long enough to have gooten cold -whether overnight or a 4- 5 hour interval I let them warm up and settle down. I do this for logevity,let the oi; circulate,let things get close to operating temp before I ride off.
That said, my '13 will rev high on cold start but as has been said by the time I suit up, back it down the driveway take off is smooth. I will use second gear though if if is still idling high on take off that demands tight turns and such..

vstar09
03-13-2015, 07:49 PM
I do the same thing.....let it sit an idle awhile if in a hurry 2nd gear is my friend...!

ruben3890
03-13-2015, 10:02 PM
That's exactly what I do, I start it then let it warm and take off on 2nd.

Kurare79
03-13-2015, 10:48 PM
Same on my bike, as on my Honda Crossrunner i had before. - On the F6B i just don't turn the right gas thing, instead i only gently release the clutch trigger and it will move softly forwards.

Limoles
03-14-2015, 01:00 AM
When attempt to drive , I warm up every and each of my vehicles . That's the rules of thumbs and temperature physics . Even I never noticed such a high RPMs when cold , I believe it's caused by fuel enricher , controlled by the computer , so is not "adjustable" .

I'd like to confirm with other GW veterans different observation . After cranking cold motor , I hear some kind of grinding noise, which disappear within 1 - 2 minutes or so . Since my dealer explained , that it's related to the oil delivery to the clutch , I accepted his expertise . I'd like to make sure , that his opinion is correct .

srt8-in-largo
03-14-2015, 09:58 AM

I'd like to confirm with other GW veterans different observation . After cranking cold motor , I hear some kind of grinding noise, which disappear within 1 - 2 minutes or so . Since my dealer explained , that it's related to the oil delivery to the clutch , I accepted his expertise . I'd like to make sure , that his opinion is correct .

Grinding? I don't hear anything that I would call that, I only hear a bit of tapping and clicking and these sounds remain present even after the warm up.

Care to capture a video of this?

Limoles
03-14-2015, 10:28 AM
Grinding? I don't hear anything that I would call that, I only hear a bit of tapping and clicking and these sounds remain present even after the warm up.

Care to capture a video of this?

Well , your doubtful question makes me wander already . I'll try to record this noise and share with you for evaluation .
Thanks.

vmaxed
03-14-2015, 10:46 AM
When attempt to drive , I warm up every and each of my vehicles . That's the rules of thumbs and temperature physics . Even I never noticed such a high RPMs when cold , I believe it's caused by fuel enricher , controlled by the computer , so is not "adjustable" .

Pull the clutch in and the noise should go away "coffee"

Limoles
03-14-2015, 10:49 AM
Pull the clutch in and the noise should go away "coffee"

... which means , it could be related to the lubrication process in the clutch ?

vmaxed
03-14-2015, 10:53 AM
I am not sure what it is but every Goldwing I had did it :icon_wink:

Limoles
03-14-2015, 11:18 AM
I am not sure what it is but every Goldwing I had did it :icon_wink:

So , I'm not "paranoid" in that issue , or am I ?
I'd like to learn little more about it .
I'd appreciate more techno explanations .

Rcx
03-16-2015, 02:33 AM
Start bike
Go get beer or coffe
Drink beer or coffe
Have a smoke -have another beer or coffe
Relax
Get on bike
Ride ! All good

Limoles
03-16-2015, 02:49 AM
Good - Cold start and cold beer is the answer - Thanks .