PDA

View Full Version : Debris in the speakers!

bobbyf6b
07-11-2013, 12:13 AM
So I was just riding along minding my own business when a little bird came out of nowhere and BAM, hit the fairing. Feathers and dust went everywhere. All I could think of was I hope it didn't get lodged in the radiator fan. Now I know why that plastic cage is there. Anyway, then I notice a feather on my speaker and I realize it's INSIDE my speaker grill. What the? I pull over and look all over the place for the bird. No bird on the bike. So I whip out my phone and google how to remove speaker grills. For those of you that don't know, DON'T PRY THE SPEAKER GRILLS. It's much easier than that. With the handlebars straight, pull up on the plastic piece around the ignition key hole and it will pop up. Then slide the whole thing back. If you want to remove it you have to unplug a few things but if you just want to remove debris from behind the speaker grills, just popping it loose will do the trick. The feathers came out with no problems and I was on my way. Weird how Honda left a gap behind the speakers that let's foreign objects inside. Anyone hear of a fix for that? Thanks for reading, hope this helps another rider with their first GW. :icon_doh:

chipmaker
07-11-2013, 12:31 AM
Haha, that bird didn't expect to see anyone out riding in the miserable heat...

Darkknight
07-11-2013, 03:54 AM
I was wondering how small debris was getting behind the speaker grill. It was small but too big to get out through the speaker grill pores. So I guess it go in from the speaker side of the grill.

Hornblower
07-11-2013, 07:12 AM
I also was wondering when someone else would notice junk getting inside the speaker housing. Obviously, stuff is getting in there through an opening to the housing from the front of the fairing. I tried blowing stuff out with an air compressor by shooting air through the grill but all that does is move it around. Thanks for the tip on how to access that area. In the meantime, it sure would be handy to find out how to block air movement into that speaker housing area because this is going to be a continuing problem.

Deer Slayer
07-11-2013, 07:24 AM
I have been using a air hose. direct downward not at speaker. However given the size you did the correct thing. Ride Safe, Bill

2013f6b
07-15-2013, 07:04 PM
On the way back from Americade a whole Monarch Butterfly got in.When I got home and washed the bike,I then used a leaf blower to dry the bike and the dead butterfly came out.I think it is the vents in the cowl below the windshield.....

Steve 0080
07-16-2013, 12:24 AM
When I was doing the High Beams on my F6 I remembered this thread and pulled the shelter off...two speaker wires and one speedo wire as well...I did pull a speaker just to see....it is solid behind the speakers, or atleast the right one. All the area around the speakers is open...I assume that this area is open to dissipate heat...not sure why else it would be that way...