PDA

View Full Version : Daytona F6B impressions

Vol1chuck
03-16-2015, 11:02 AM
First real good ride on the "B" since I purchased last October. Here are my impressions after my weekend dash to Daytona from Knoxville...

Fuel economy: 1468 miles on 35.6 gallons of fuel = 41.2 mpg. Not too shabby, especially considering that most mileage was eaten up at 75-80 mph.

Weather protection: Flippin' phenomenal! We went down through Atlanta because we stayed at the KOA in Macon. Steady rain from Cleveland, TN to Calhoun, GA. At times very heavy. I never felt the need to put on rain gear. I flipped up my convertible Baggershield, tucked in behind it, and the only part of me that was more than damp was my shoes and the outer half of the bottom 5 inches of jeans.

Riding position: Coming from the cruiser world, I was really concerned that I would have trouble making the transition. Not a big deal at all. The ergoIII highway pegs and mini floorboards certainly helped. All and all, I'd say B-. Straight through from St. Augustine to Knoxville was almost 600 (which is a typical day when we travel) and I was a little stiff and cramped.

Handling: See above. I came from the cruiser world so this feels like a race bike to me. Never really had an opportunity to test it's legs until the return trip through the gorge between Asheville and Knoxville on I-40, but this thing handled those curves at 70+ like they were nothing. Plenty of cornering clearance even with the comfort drop on the mini boards.

Storage: I was surprised by how small the saddlebags are, really. On first blush I actually entertained thoughts of packing a weeks worth of t-shirts and shorts in one, and rain gear, shower bag and etc. in the other for Sturgis this summer, but when I started putting stuff in, they really aren't that deep. Perfect for weekend rides, but I'll need to get a luggage rack for an extra bag so I can use the passenger seat for tent and camp chair. Again, no biggie, just surprised me.

Seat: Holy $hi*! Does Honda just throw a seat together for its bikes as an afterthought? This one has to go. Now, I'm no baby. When we travel, 500 mile days are the norm. 700 isn't out of the question. And I've done 1058 from Albuquerque, NM to Memphis, TN. My first bike when I was "reborn" into motorcycles again was a Honda VTX. After about 700 miles, I knew the seat had to be replaced. I put the Mustang on and did 32,000 wonderfully comfortable miles on it. My recent trade was an 06 Yamaha Roadliner. 35,000 miles on the original stock seat, and that included the iron butt. No issues whatsoever. But this seat seems just like the one on the VTX. Certainly compliments the look of the bike, but had very little thought put into its ergonomics and comfort. Just my opinion.

That's it in a nutshell....
Safe riding....

Old Ryder
03-16-2015, 11:24 AM
The engineers at Honda are the best in the world when it comes to metal and life span on mechicanal parts--- I have owned more Hondas over the years than any other bike and I think they design their seats for 145 lb Asians. Even the folks at Mean City could not do the trick on my VTX. Get past the seat and fix the ergo thingy and they are the best designs in the world.

shooter
03-16-2015, 11:31 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head Chuck. I don't think the seat us that bad although I concede it could be better.

Ixol Phaane
03-16-2015, 11:40 AM
Very nice little write up. Thanks for this.
I'm sure a lot of new and potential owners will appreciate your experience and opinion.

As I have ridden mine for almost 14k miles, the mileage hovers between 39-42 and of course depends on the load and how heavy I get on the throttle.

I have to agree with you on the point about rain protection. I've had a couple opportunities to ride in some local weather - yes, believe it or not, it actually does rain in the desert! I share the same respect for the ability of the F6B to shelter the rider, even behind the BaggerShield bottom half only.

The riding position is just fine with me. I also came from a VTX after 11 years and had no problem at all getting used to the F6B.

As for the seat, I know it can be a hot topic, but I've had no problem at all with the stocker on an occasional 350 mile day. But I think I'll be packing along the AirHawk I used on my VTX when I make the ride to Franklin this summer... just in case.

The handling of the bike is so nice. It's much better than the 2000 model GL1500 I rode for three years. I especially notice the difference in the city, in parking lots and in the curvy parts of the open road. It's so responsive. Like another member recently wrote in another thread (sorry, I'm not sure who or where) it's like having the bike under mind control.

And you are correct about the bags being a little narrow. But throw a BikeMP3 rack on her, add a nice travel bag and you're definitely good to go the distance.

I give my 2014 model 9 out of 10 points. And she'll get the last point after I add cruise. :icon_biggrin:

Anyway, thanks again for your post. Maybe we'll see you in Franklin?

opas ride
03-16-2015, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the info and I agree for the most part...I really had no issues with the stock seat but wanted the 1" lower Mustang seat and am I glad I changed...What a difference, at least to me....Everything works fine now that I have the Baggershield windscreen, Kury grips, Cobra pipes, and other goodies...The wind/rain protection is great and no problems, but the Victory Vision Tour I had was absolutely the best bike I have ever owned for hardly any highway wind/turbulence at all...Damn near non exsistent on the road!!!

srt8-in-largo
03-16-2015, 12:26 PM
Interesting about the bags... they're bigger than just about anything else out there, but I too wish they could hold even more stuff.

hiflyer
03-16-2015, 12:38 PM
After trying a couple of aftermarket seats, I went back to the stocker. I use an airhawk or a mesh no/sweat pad to change seating position every couple of hundred miles or so. No complaints.

Fla_rider
03-16-2015, 12:47 PM
:postpics:

What you didn't stop along the way to take pics?

Elroy
03-16-2015, 01:00 PM
Interesting about the bags... they're bigger than just about anything else out there, but I too wish they could hold even more stuff.

I do wish they opened vertically along the top though. My hard-sided bags on my vulcan opened this way. You get a little bit of "cheat" space with the space in the lid when you shut it. Haven't had the need yet to cram my F6 bags full yet, but I imagine I'll be doing the "hold your stuff in with one hand, and pull it out real quick and shut the door." That is till I finally spring for the luggage rack.

Vol1chuck
03-16-2015, 01:16 PM

They just seemed bigger when I first saw/opened them. And it may be that my roadliner/stratoliner bags were top opening, so they just seemed to hold more.

Old Ryder
03-16-2015, 01:32 PM
Imagine how I feel. My last bike was a Victory Cross Roads. They have the largest saddlebags of anybody and I was still carrying a tour pack for my trips. :shock: I am fine with the bags, thanks to the MP3 rack I got from a forum member at a very reasonable price. :icon_mrgreen:

srt8-in-largo
03-16-2015, 04:00 PM
Speaking strictly from an aesthetic viewpoint, I think the bike would look ever sooo slightly sexier with slimmer, longer bags.

I'm still trying to decide if I like the clam shell opening better than a top loader; I'm fine with it though.

I've astonished many folks in the grocery store parking lot who see me with 5 or 6 bags of stuff being engulfed by the F6 panniers :icon_biggrin:

Jimmytee
03-16-2015, 04:09 PM
Speaking strictly from an aesthetic viewpoint, I think the bike would look ever sooo slightly sexier with slimmer, longer bags.

I'm still trying to decide if I like the clam shell opening better than a top loader; I'm fine with it though.

I've astonished many folks in the grocery store parking lot who see me with 5 or 6 bags of stuff being engulfed by the F6 panniers :icon_biggrin:
I use saddle bags for road gear like jackets,chaps,rain gear, bike cover etc... I put my clothes and stuff I pack clothing in a T bag or luggage for the luggage rack.

Ixol Phaane
03-16-2015, 06:43 PM
...I really like my Cargo Keepers (from Chrisco Accessories). They are a little raw from the factory, but could easily be finished proper on the cheap.

12417 12418

grendl
03-16-2015, 07:20 PM
Glad you like the bike. I am very happy with mine. Thought I'd add my experience on the seat. I took a run from Colorado to Madison last year about two weeks after I got the bike. First long trip on her. The seat was almost unbearable after about 500 miles. I suffered through it all the way to Madison,then started looking seriously at the Mustang seat.
The Mustang I still like for the way it looks and the advertised 1 inch lower.
I made it through the trip by shifting position used my forward ergo's (don't like that) I even put my feet on the rear pegs to give my butt a break.
Then I realized on the trip back the seat wasn't hurting any more and it hasn't bothered me since. I ran a 1000 mile in 24 (actually 25 hours) run and I never thought about it.
Either it broke me in or I broke it in.
Still would like the Mustang for looks and down an inch but the stock seat is no longer an issue.

Vol1chuck
03-16-2015, 07:52 PM
Glad you like the bike. I am very happy with mine. Thought I'd add my experience on the seat. I took a run from Colorado to Madison last year about two weeks after I got the bike. First long trip on her. The seat was almost unbearable after about 500 miles. I suffered through it all the way to Madison,then started looking seriously at the Mustang seat.
The Mustang I still like for the way it looks and the advertised 1 inch lower.
I made it through the trip by shifting position used my forward ergo's (don't like that) I even put my feet on the rear pegs to give my butt a break.
Then I realized on the trip back the seat wasn't hurting any more and it hasn't bothered me since. I ran a 1000 mile in 24 (actually 25 hours) run and I never thought about it.
Either it broke me in or I broke it in.
Still would like the Mustang for looks and down an inch but the stock seat is no longer an issue.

Thanks for that. Maybe there's hope. I sure don't WANT to spend 7 bills for a new ultimate if I don't have to!

Steve 0080
03-17-2015, 12:03 AM
...I really like my Cargo Keepers (from Chrisco Accessories). They are a little raw from the factory, but could easily be finished proper on the cheap.

12417 12418

Do you have a link?

Ixol Phaane
03-17-2015, 12:49 AM
Do you have a link?

Yep, I do.

Cargo Keepers by ChrisCo Accessories (http://www.chriscoacc.com/webPages/CargoKeepers.htm)

MAYHEM01
03-17-2015, 07:06 AM
that's cool with the Cargo Keepers

Fla_rider
03-17-2015, 12:54 PM
I'm too cheap just use Publix cloth Bags!:moon:

Cept mine are black!

Vol1Chuck- where's da flipping pics?

GatorWing
03-18-2015, 07:00 PM

12417 12418

Here they are finished off on my 2012 Wing. Same bags as on the F6B :039:
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3170&attachmentid=80536

Also I think this is the best run motorcycle board on the internet :yes:

srt8-in-largo
03-18-2015, 07:19 PM

Welcome aboard GatorWing! Good to see some GL1800Riders coming over.

I agree with your comment about this forum; Phantom and the mods are pretty awesome :icon_biggrin:

shooter
03-18-2015, 07:39 PM
I'll third that SRT. This is a classy joint. I'm proud to be a small part if it. Phantom and the boys do a great job. Oh and Boss , I'm not trying to shine you on. I mean it.

GatorWing
03-18-2015, 08:50 PM
I'll third that SRT. This is a classy joint. I'm proud to be a small part if it. Phantom and the boys do a great job. Oh and Boss , I'm not trying to shine you on. I mean it.
:icon_wink:Agree. It looks like everyone gets along here and helps each other.
I haven't seen attacks like those that happen too often on the other Wing forums. I stopped posting on my regular board two months ago.
I read here allot and everyone seems polite and helpful and that is good. I see my friend "Big Dawg" aka "Pop Chance" is here :clap2:.
I took a test ride on a 2014 FB6. I think it has the full size Wing in acceleration (It handled like a VTX1300 with an afterburner and very smooth at 100MPH+):nojoke:. I also believe the new FB6 bikes with cruise control will get better mileage than the full sized Wing. I am waiting to see if the 2016 gets ABS brakes. If not I will probably get a 2015 with CC in blue at a 1K discount + some amenities thrown in :icon_wink:. My Wing needs company grouphug.

Ixol Phaane
03-18-2015, 09:01 PM

GatorWing, you did a real nice job finishing those keepers. I may have to throw some business at Drag Specialties for that material.

And yes, this is a really well run site. :icon_biggrin:

shooter
03-19-2015, 09:16 AM
Gator its good to have you here with us. We can always use another Wing lover.

stepbill
03-19-2015, 10:33 AM
I also did the same thing with my cargo keepers and got the Drag carpet from Amazon.com.

terrydj
03-21-2015, 08:52 AM
After trying a couple of aftermarket seats, I went back to the stocker. I use an airhawk or a mesh no/sweat pad to change seating position every couple of hundred miles or so. No complaints.

I love the stock seat.
I picked up the bike and it was 900 kays home, around 600 miles and 10 hours later the whole ride was just a dream and the seat was magic.
I ride four/5 times a week and have for over 40 years.
Just put a sheepskin on because to any seat its a 100% improvement because theirs no sweat and no sliding and theirs air under your but.
Before you waste your money on a seat try a sheepskin for a few hundred miles?????:icon_cool: