PDA

View Full Version : The hard way

XHarley
03-16-2015, 11:52 PM
Seems like for some of us it always takes the hard way to figure out what and where we are going.

After owning the 2013 F6B and then selling it as I just couldn't get used to all of the plastic parts I am again looking to buy another F6B.

The 2014 Harley Super Glide Custom with the 103ci engine that I bought to replace the F6B is a beautiful bike and a great little bike to run around town on but the motor vibrations on that 103 are absolutely unbearable for any length of ride. So after owing the Harley for a little over a month I did a Craigslist ad and have a buyer wanting to pick it up this weekend. Actually, I knew after the first ten minutes of owing/riding it that I had made a stupid decision to sell the F6B.

Have been in conversation with Wes at Russellville Honda (site sponsor) and his price on a 2015 F6B Deluxe is better than anywhere else so I will be getting my brother, the Southwest pilot, to get me a buddy pass ticket from Charlotte to Little Rock to do the deal. Should be a nice 700 mile ride as spring is around the corner.

And anyone who feels the need is welcomed to tell me I told you so!

Once this is all complete I will post some pictures of the new silver F6BD.

Ride safe.

X

Steve 0080
03-16-2015, 11:59 PM
Everybody on this forum has something they would like to do over to get right the second time !!! :icon_redface:

hiflyer
03-17-2015, 12:18 AM
Glad you weren't here last week when I had a delirious thought of selling mine, albeit for a different reason than yours, didn't think I would be riding much this year because of a work gig. Good to see ya back.

Ixol Phaane
03-17-2015, 12:44 AM
Yea! Welcome back! :icon_biggrin:

srt8-in-largo
03-17-2015, 01:11 AM
Sanity strikes again ! :icon_biggrin: Welcome back.

Jimmytee
03-17-2015, 05:24 AM
It's just good you're blessed to be able to change your mind in that way, financially I'm speaking.:icon_wink: You getting a special paint job or anything since you're buying it from Russelville?

jkelley
03-17-2015, 05:47 AM
Hey, You got a better color and cruise. Glad you came back around.

shooter
03-17-2015, 06:51 AM
Nothing is ever perfect. Some are just better than others. Welcome back.

MAYHEM01
03-17-2015, 06:53 AM
WELCOME BACK TO THE BEST CRUISER YOU WILL EVER OWN!!!

Limoles
03-17-2015, 07:25 AM
Many did similar mistake , but only few happened to be smart like you . This refreshment will spread your wings wider . Enjoy your new toy .

tinknocker
03-17-2015, 07:38 AM
Yeah as a former Harley owner after a few hundred miles I can see myself in the future buying a full blown wing if my wife ever decides that she would rather pilon-up instead of riding her own

Hornblower
03-17-2015, 07:59 AM
Yeah! Welcome back X :clap2: I imagine that was a fairly expensive experiment but most of us have done things like that (whether we admit it or not).

taxfree4
03-17-2015, 08:01 AM
If you love a 2013 F6B let it go if it comes back as a 2015 F6B it was meant to "B". If you let it go again we'll never stop hounding you.

Old Ryder
03-17-2015, 08:01 AM
Guess now you will need to change your name to 2X-XHarley :icon_mrgreen:

Fla_rider
03-17-2015, 11:31 AM
Seems like for some of us it always takes the hard way to figure out what and where we are going.

After owning the 2013 F6B and then selling it as I just couldn't get used to all of the plastic parts I am again looking to buy another F6B.

The 2014 Harley Super Glide Custom with the 103ci engine that I bought to replace the F6B is a beautiful bike and a great little bike to run around town on but the motor vibrations on that 103 are absolutely unbearable for any length of ride. So after owing the Harley for a little over a month I did a Craigslist ad and have a buyer wanting to pick it up this weekend. Actually, I knew after the first ten minutes of owing/riding it that I had made a stupid decision to sell the F6B.

Have been in conversation with Wes at Russellville Honda (site sponsor) and his price on a 2015 F6B Deluxe is better than anywhere else so I will be getting my brother, the Southwest pilot, to get me a buddy pass ticket from Charlotte to Little Rock to do the deal. Should be a nice 700 mile ride as spring is around the corner.

And anyone who feels the need is welcomed to tell me I told you so!

Once this is all complete I will post some pictures of the new silver F6BD.

Ride safe.

X

Welcome Back, we should try to take advantage of the buddy pass and make it a forum thing when we all want to replace our F6B and go see Wes at Russellville. maybe WES will throw in a few incentives.

XHarley
03-17-2015, 01:19 PM
Thanks all for the welcome back comments and not one "I told you so"! Wow, you guys are too kind.
This site has the best folks and that is what makes the whole Goldwing biking community so great.

Well, I have hit a Harley Stealership snag. The person who was going to buy my Harley was going to use the Harley Rider to Rider Finance program but my local Harley Stealership now wants $500 to process the loan. It seems that greed is everywhere but never so pronounced as at a Harley stealership and another great reason to be done permanently with Harley Davidson.

I have the bike priced so competitively that I can't afford to bite that $500 bullet so will have to wait for a new buyer who has his own finances. Always a problem it seems once the price of the toy gets above $10K as most people are not blessed with the ability to save money and have to borrow.

The good thing is the weather is getting better and more people will feel the itch to buy a motorcycle and thus the used bike market will pick up and this should not affect the new bike market except may have to order and wait for the bike to arrive at the dealership.

X

edgeman55
03-17-2015, 01:35 PM
Good luck with the sale if you price the Harley right it will sell.I too did the V twin thing for a few years after 20+ years on various Goldwings.Thought I was missing something but the Vibration,engine heat in traffic,and stupid loud pipes I put on it got old really fast and found I was not riding much.I took a hit on the old bike and bought my F6B and have no regrets.Like going from a Model T into a new high tech sports car gotta luv it.Enjoy your new ride:yes:

jkelley
03-17-2015, 02:27 PM
Only money... $500 to get you on what you want don't sound too bad to me.... But I hear you. Problem is it's gonna hurt no matter so just get it over with.

taxfree4
03-17-2015, 02:58 PM
Thanks all for the welcome back comments and not one "I told you so"! Wow, you guys are too kind.
This site has the best folks and that is what makes the whole Goldwing biking community so great.

Well, I have hit a Harley Stealership snag. The person who was going to buy my Harley was going to use the Harley Rider to Rider Finance program but my local Harley Stealership now wants $500 to process the loan. It seems that greed is everywhere but never so pronounced as at a Harley stealership and another great reason to be done permanently with Harley Davidson.

I have the bike priced so competitively that I can't afford to bite that $500 bullet so will have to wait for a new buyer who has his own finances. Always a problem it seems once the price of the toy gets above $10K as most people are not blessed with the ability to save money and have to borrow.

The good thing is the weather is getting better and more people will feel the itch to buy a motorcycle and thus the used bike market will pick up and this should not affect the new bike market except may have to order and wait for the bike to arrive at the dealership.

X

Split it with the buyer.

taxfree4
03-17-2015, 03:00 PM
How about we hold a 50/50 raffle, I'm Catholic it's instinctive.

bigbird
03-17-2015, 03:14 PM
Split it with the buyer.

Makes the most sense.
You've got a willing buyer, you're out $250, but that's peanuts in the big picture.

Limoles
03-17-2015, 06:23 PM
[QUOTE=taxfree4;67352]How about we hold a 50/50 raffle.

Now we talking ... That's the Mafia style :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

taxfree4
03-17-2015, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE=taxfree4;67352]How about we hold a 50/50 raffle.

Now we talking ... That's the Mafia style :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

What's the Mafia- I just realized the 2015 just comes in that Matte Silver and Blue but no Black WTF?

53driver
03-17-2015, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=Limoles;67369]

...I just realized the 2015 just comes in that Matte Silver and Blue but no Black WTF?

It was too fast and too stealthy to be tracked by conventional police radar.

taxfree4
03-17-2015, 08:13 PM
I just don't get that, the other colors are nice but at least have black for the guys that are happy with it now and may want to upgrade.

srt8-in-largo
03-17-2015, 08:22 PM
Colors by year...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-X4-q96Wit0E/VQjSl2A-unI/AAAAAAAACew/qG7PVyym1U0/s800/colors%25202013%2520-%25202015.jpg

wylbur78
03-19-2015, 06:25 AM
I'm new here and believe this is my first post. I saw this and had to chime in with my experience.

I also made the same mistake, except I really went off the deep end.:yikes: I went all out and bought a 2014 Street Glide Special and i also am in talks with Wes From Russelville. Hopefully i can get enough for mine in trade so i can atleast break even. I did alot of research before i bought but I've owned several Harleys and just couldn't convince myself to break away from what I knew. I really wish i would have did more test riding... well done some test riding. I have the same problem as you do X, tired of everything rattling and feeling like my whole body has just been trough a washing machine. I ride a 100 miles a day to and from work plus all the other riding i do on the weekends. Already have 11,000 miles in less than 6 months. I've always loved the sound of a Harley but definitely don't like the sound my my wallet cracking open for my service every couple of months and having to re-tighten every nut and bolt.

I should have gone with my instinct and bought the F6B!!:icon_doh::banghead:

Thanks,

Wylbur

wantone
03-19-2015, 03:19 PM
I'm new here and believe this is my first post. I saw this and had to chime in with my experience.

I also made the same mistake, except I really went off the deep end.:yikes: I went all out and bought a 2014 Street Glide Special and i also am in talks with Wes From Russelville. Hopefully i can get enough for mine in trade so i can atleast break even. I did alot of research before i bought but I've owned several Harleys and just couldn't convince myself to break away from what I knew. I really wish i would have did more test riding... well done some test riding. I have the same problem as you do X, tired of everything rattling and feeling like my whole body has just been trough a washing machine. I ride a 100 miles a day to and from work plus all the other riding i do on the weekends. Already have 11,000 miles in less than 6 months. I've always loved the sound of a Harley but definitely don't like the sound my my wallet cracking open for my service every couple of months and having to re-tighten every nut and bolt.

I should have gone with my instinct and bought the F6B!!:icon_doh::banghead:

Thanks,

Wylbur

Looks like u had the rushmore bike. I thought project rushmore bikes were really good. I knw they vibrate a lot but I read rushmore bikes had good torque and are smooth once you start rolling.

Spanky
03-19-2015, 04:08 PM
Well, X, glad your back, or coming back. It took me a while as well, I at least had the streetglide for a while before my wife traded it in. I remember riding on a long ride with the F6B, coming home and was asked to ride to the store. for giggles, I saddled up to the hog, and rode down the street. about 1 mi from the house i was thinking "what the hell am i doing? this thing rides like a pig" hence the name hog..... Welcome back, we need to get together this summer sometime. If you ride up to easy eddies on 150, He's a very good friend, Tell him Spanky sent ya!

Brian D
03-19-2015, 05:12 PM
Welcome back X. Although my complaints about my f6 are very minimal. I sure as hell don't miss those good old harley vibrations. 1 and done for me with Harley's So over rated!! I'm addicted to smooth power. Just rode to the dealer today and that new matte grey is very sharp in person. Goodluck with your sale

F6B1911
03-19-2015, 06:30 PM
I think you had that little pause in F6B ownership just get get a better paint job and cruise control??

wylbur78
03-19-2015, 09:35 PM
Looks like u had the rushmore bike. I thought project rushmore bikes were really good. I knw they vibrate a lot but I read rushmore bikes had good torque and are smooth once you start rolling.

Yes I do and it's not as bad is my 07 I had but to only be able to pull 81hp and 100ftlb after new exhaust, tuner and air kit is pretty ridiculous. (At the rear wheel). The suspension only has 2" of travel in the back and can feel every little imperfection in the road and (my arse) not to mention the death wobble that was supposed to be taken care of with the new frames in 09 and then again this last year with the Rushmore upgrades, I still fear for my life going around a long hard sweeper especially with any kind of bumps or dips in it.

wantone
03-19-2015, 09:58 PM
Yes I do and it's not as bad is my 07 I had but to only be able to pull 81hp and 100ftlb after new exhaust, tuner and air kit is pretty ridiculous. (At the rear wheel). The suspension only has 2" of travel in the back and can feel every little imperfection in the road and (my arse) not to mention the death wobble that was supposed to be taken care of with the new frames in 09 and then again this last year with the Rushmore upgrades, I still fear for my life going around a long hard sweeper especially with any kind of bumps or dips in it.

Thats's really sad that we spend so much money and get less in return. I still remember when I bought my first Harley, Iron 883. It was my first week and I was really feeling good about the Harley. I called my friend and we decided to go for a short ride. We rode less than 100 miles. I got off the motorcycle and I cud not even take a single step. It was so painful. I felt like someone just hit me in the stomach. I did not realize what happened. I thought all motorcycles are like that and my body will get used to it. Only later I realized how terrible Harley suspension is. I am not a big fan of front suspension on F6B either. IT's plain shitty. But better than Harley.

srt8-in-largo
03-19-2015, 11:01 PM
What is the general perception of the Goldwing and F6B in the Harley circles that you guys run in?

chipmaker
03-20-2015, 12:14 AM
Thats what trips me about about all the HD haters that obsessively post here about Harleys. Harley guys on Harley forums or out in the wild don't care about GWs. If thats what you want, buy one they say and I say. I have not heard many, if any try, to down play the performance or quality of the Goldwings, Just a whole lot of people find there is more than "appliance like" reliability to riding. Ive had BMWs and Hondas and Harleys. I know reliability and performance. But I traded F6B for another Harley. Its what I like. Some are fortunate to be able to have both. No matter which forum I am on, you will not here me bash either, and I won't tell anyone they should buy one over another. I will answer questions to why I switched and what was good for me.

srt8-in-largo
03-20-2015, 12:21 AM
C'mon now, there's certainly a snobbery vein shared in Harley circles... "if you don't ride a Harley, ya ain't riding".

chipmaker
03-20-2015, 01:07 AM
Maybe a little. :shhh:

Convert
03-20-2015, 06:07 AM
Guess I'm with chipmaker. I am lucky enough to own a 13 F6B and a 2001 Wide Glide CVO. I've had a number of Harleys and have never had a breakdown or even an oil leak. Ridden them all over on ironbutt trips to
Idaho and back. Never ever a problem. I ride both of these bikes on a regular basis when the weather cooperates. I have both bikes for the simple fact I like bikes. They all offer some good sides and each have a
bad side here and there.

I went to the GWRRA rally in Wisconsin last year on my B. I am not of member of that organization, not my thing, and was surprised by how much conversation was Harley bashing. I was also amazed at the average age
of a Goldwing owner is about 118.

I also went to a local Harley hog function last year, not a member, not my thing, and listened to Harley people talking about Harley's. I rode my B to that function and was wearing a Harley t-shirt. Lots of questions, lots of
conversation and not any Honda bashing. Was welcomed with open arms. Took me by surprise. My son was riding my CVO that day.

Does it really matter what we ride as long we are able to ride?

Jimmytee
03-20-2015, 06:34 AM
Thats what trips me about about all the HD haters that obsessively post here about Harleys. Harley guys on Harley forums or out in the wild don't care about GWs. If thats what you want, buy one they say and I say. I have not heard many, if any try, to down play the performance or quality of the Goldwings, Just a whole lot of people find there is more than "appliance like" reliability to riding. Ive had BMWs and Hondas and Harleys. I know reliability and performance. But I traded F6B for another Harley. Its what I like. Some are fortunate to be able to have both. No matter which forum I am on, you will not here me bash either, and I won't tell anyone they should buy one over another. I will answer questions to why I switched and what was good for me.

Yeah, I got to call BS a little here.:icon_rolleyes: :icon_lol: Been around motorcycles my whole life and there has been a long time ("snobbery" is putting it mildly ) angst by Harley riders against anything not Harley. Not saying all of them. I ride with a lot of Harley riders in the CVMA and call them brothers and sisters and they the same towards me. Even among my brethren , there is a bit of teasing. All in good fun, but I've witnessed "jap" bikes being thrashed and mutilated.:icon_rolleyes: As far as Wing riders talking trash against HD, i has a lot to do with the defensive reaction to years of taunts from the other way. Just my experience. I personally don't care what anyone rides. I like the looks of most Harleys and my desire for one ended when Honda came out with the original Valkyrie. Something in me just likes being different from the pack,and to ride around here, that means riding against the grain and not riding a Harley.:shhh:

wylbur78
03-20-2015, 07:34 AM
Yeah, I got to call BS a little here.:icon_rolleyes: :icon_lol: Been around motorcycles my whole life and there has been a long time ("snobbery" is putting it mildly ) angst by Harley riders against anything not Harley. Not saying all of them. I ride with a lot of Harley riders in the CVMA and call them brothers and sisters and they the same towards me. Even among my brethren , there is a bit of teasing. All in good fun, but I've witnessed "jap" bikes being thrashed and mutilated.:icon_rolleyes: As far as Wing riders talking trash against HD, i has a lot to do with the defensive reaction to years of taunts from the other way. Just my experience. I personally don't care what anyone rides. I like the looks of most Harleys and my desire for one ended when Honda came out with the original Valkyrie. Something in me just likes being different from the pack,and to ride around here, that means riding against the grain and not riding a Harley.:shhh:

I'm young compared to alot of people on these forums and riders, only 37 as of today, and have been riding "All" of my life with the exception of a couple of years. Don't get me wrong I Love the looks of the Street Glide and of the new Road Glide and as i stated it rides better than my 07 did but it still feels like there's a disconnect somewhere, maybe it's due to me have owned and ridden other bikes besides Harley's (I'm not a Harley Lifer) as such a 2011 Yamaha FZ1 which is a naked sport bike, a Vulcan back in my early 20's and ever a GSXR750 at 18 and I've owned 2 sporty's one with a solid mounted motor that i couldn't stand and the other rubber mounted which was better. I have also ridden several of my buddy's bike over a course of time as well which ranged from Buell's and Honda's, so as we all can see I've been pretty diverse but something about the sound of a twin especially a Harley is just something that is not repeatable, I'm not a Harley Basher what so ever, if they would ever fix the suspension and frame issues on their tourers i would buy another in a heart beat, but until then I'm done with them.

As far as the trash talking with Harley riders goes, I will agree to a point that it really depends on what kind of (Harley Riding Group) you get around as to the amount of trash talking goes with other brands,:stirthepot: I've been around some that will bash anything that doesn't say Harley on it somewhere, even if it's and Indian or Victory which are American Owned Companies, and others that say hey as long as you're riding we don't care. Some hard core Clubs are even getting to where they will allow Victory's and Indians in their clubs due to them being American Company owned Bikes. I'm mainly wanting to switch due to wanting more power and a better ride without spending a fortune to get it out of my Harley. This one is good Just thought about it. When I was getting my pipes and stuff done, Harley now offers a Stage 4 kit that will out perform their Screaming Eagle that cost almost $40000, but the kit is still around $6500 to install and will only get you around 100-105hp and around 110-115ftlb at the rear wheel is the claim, so you're still looking at $30k-$35k for what you can get on a F6B/Goldwing or ever a Sport Tourer with a crappier ride to boot.:banghead:

53driver
03-20-2015, 07:51 AM
What is the general perception of the Goldwing and F6B in the Harley circles that you guys run in?

I think it has to do with how the person who owns the bike is perceived by the immediate group.
I teach the MSF course; the range is in the parking lot at my place of employ.
I am known to many at my workplace as "the motorcycle guy."
But more importantly, I believe, is that I am also known as a "rider" first, and any "brand name loyalty" is a tertiary, near meaningless application.

I am a Lifetime HOG member, but I don't play with the local Chapters.
I was a GWRRA member.

The '81 Wing, '73 Ironhead, 95 Heritage, 98 Valk, and '14 F6B have all been in my parking spot. People seemingly oooh and ahhh regardless.
Found a "V-Twin" magazine on the seat of the Valk one day. Co-worker told me it was a joke he was playing....lol.
We have civil discussions about brands, etc. Although when the float valve on the '73 failed and she drained her entire tank on the asphalt, that was "less than optimal" but there was no shortage of people who were there to help clean up the mess.

I'm fortunate to work and associate with people who look and appreciate me first, and then my "Euro-biker" stylings (BMG gear) OR my "pirate outfits" as merely cosmetics.

wylbur78
03-20-2015, 08:25 AM
Thats's really sad that we spend so much money and get less in return. I still remember when I bought my first Harley, Iron 883. It was my first week and I was really feeling good about the Harley. I called my friend and we decided to go for a short ride. We rode less than 100 miles. I got off the motorcycle and I cud not even take a single step. It was so painful. I felt like someone just hit me in the stomach. I did not realize what happened. I thought all motorcycles are like that and my body will get used to it. Only later I realized how terrible Harley suspension is. I am not a big fan of front suspension on F6B either. IT's plain shitty. But better than Harley.

How so with the front suspension on the F6B? whats so shitty about it? Stiff, soft, wayward? how does the suspension on the Goldwings and the F6B hold up over time?

bobbyf6b
03-20-2015, 08:44 AM

Michelin Commander II's will fix that. My 07 SG rode like a wet noodle until I got the Michelins! I still couldn't wait to get rid of the POS. Almost two years on my F6B and I still love it!

wylbur78
03-20-2015, 08:50 AM
Michelin Commander II's will fix that. My 07 SG rode like a wet noodle until I got the Michelins! I still couldn't wait to get rid of the POS. Almost two years on my F6B and I still love it!

That's good to know for future... How's the front suspension on your F6B holding up? Any Issues? Ride quality fron and rear?

bobbyf6b
03-20-2015, 09:01 AM
That's good to know for future... How's the front suspension on your F6B holding up? Any Issues? Ride quality fron and rear?

Suspension has been great for me. I added a Superbrace fork brace for more high speed stability and it works great. Makes the bike feel tighter.

Took a trip last summer with the wife and a few days of gear. Rear preload at half and no handling or bottoming out issues.

53driver
03-20-2015, 09:05 AM
Suspension has been great for me. I added a Superbrace fork brace for more high speed stability and it works great. Makes the bike feel tighter.

I also added a SuperBrace. Made the Smokey Mountains LOTS of fun.
The handlebar wobble (no hands on the grips) between 34-42 mph is a bit disconcerting though.
Not a SuperBrace issue. Was there before and after installation.

bobbyf6b
03-20-2015, 09:09 AM
The handlebar wobble (no hands on the grips) between 34-42 mph is a bit disconcerting though.
Not a SuperBrace issue. Was there before and after installation.

I haven't had that issue. (knock on wood)

Old Ryder
03-20-2015, 09:28 AM
Love these threads!

I know nothing about a wobble though my Superbrace is in the mail right now. That goes for the HD and B. I am like a bunch of you guys. I owned Harleys for about a decade. Can't really say much bad about them, other than the attitude of some of their riders-- and let me emphisize the word SOME-- as in not all. Hey, I was one of them too. I just wanted out of the V Twin thing. I think HD riders resent the V Twin imatation--of which the Wing and B are not. As for throwing out a lot of lip at riders of all sorts, I like to make fun of everything, myself included. If you are so serious that you can't laugh at a bike or anything else, you lead a sad life. BTW-- As I said about my Sportster 883 when I first did my long ride-- There is a reason they put a 2 gallon tank on the Sporster--you are going to need a break every hour so they built it right into the tank. :icon_mrgreen:

opas ride
03-20-2015, 01:48 PM
Love these threads!

I know nothing about a wobble though my Superbrace is in the mail right now. That goes for the HD and B. I am like a bunch of you guys. I owned Harleys for about a decade. Can't really say much bad about them, other than the attitude of some of their riders-- and let me emphisize the word SOME-- as in not all. Hey, I was one of them too. I just wanted out of the V Twin thing. I think HD riders resent the V Twin imatation--of which the Wing and B are not. As for throwing out a lot of lip at riders of all sorts, I like to make fun of everything, myself included. If you are so serious that you can't laugh at a bike or anything else, you lead a sad life. BTW-- As I said about my Sportster 883 when I first did my long ride-- There is a reason they put a 2 gallon tank on the Sporster--you are going to need a break every hour so they built it right into the tank. :icon_mrgreen:
Taking ones hands off the handle bars at any speed, on any motorcycle, is just asking for trouble period...I don't care what your reasons are it has no grounds for common sense in my opinion....As many others have commented, I likewise got tired of the old V-Twin experience after owning a 99 Valkyrie, then a VTX, a couple of Victory's I went to the F6B and it is without a doubt the best choice for me..Love the power, smoothness, handling, reliability, and just the general feel of the bike.....I'm sticking with it for quite a while if all works out....Ride safe...

53driver
03-20-2015, 02:08 PM
Taking ones hands off the handle bars at any speed, on any motorcycle, is just asking for trouble period...I don't care what your reasons are it has no grounds for common sense in my opinion....

Well, I cannot argue that point, but when I can feel it with my hands gripping normally (I do not squeeze the black out of my grips) and then relaxing even further, the wobble starts in, the grips travel 1.5" to 2".
Only in that speed range.
It's what test pilots do, I guess.
Drives engineers and maintainers nuts.
If no one else has experienced this, I understand, per the reason above.
No worries.

jkelley
03-20-2015, 02:24 PM
Well, I cannot argue that point, but when I can feel it with my hands gripping normally (I do not squeeze the black out of my grips) and then relaxing even further, the wobble starts in, the grips travel 1.5" to 2".
Only in that speed range.
It's what test pilots do, I guess.
Drives engineers and maintainers nuts.
If no one else has experienced this, I understand, per the reason above.
No worries.

A lot of bike will do that but as stated not wise to remove hands, there are fixes and many reasons for this including improper tire inflation, cupping etc. All Balls bearings or even tightening up the stock ones slightly can help in a lot of cases.

wantone
03-20-2015, 08:12 PM
How so with the front suspension on the F6B? whats so shitty about it? Stiff, soft, wayward? how does the suspension on the Goldwings and the F6B hold up over time?

IDK how to explain it to you but it is shitty compared to other Jap bikes I have ridden. I can feel the slightest imperfection on the road on front suspension. If u don't believe me listen to the cruisemangarage guy in the below video. He clearly says the glodwing suspension is inferior @ 12:29 in the video. He is popular among glowing riders and also knowledgeable. I was and am still very much impressed with the F6B but very disappointed in the suspension. I thought only Harley was terrible with their suspensions but looks like I was wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_nbIuqrQnE&spfreload=10

opas ride
03-20-2015, 09:22 PM
We are entitled to our opinions about the bikes we ride as well as what others ride....The F6B is much lighter than a GW and perhaps will not be as loaded down as the Wing....Some have complained about front suspension issues, others have not....I have none what-so-ever with my F6B and am happy with it the way it is. I have no fork braces on it and do not intend to install one....After 30/40000 miles down the road, and I am still riding, I will worry about front suspension issues then...I have ridden and owned many Japanese bikes and my F6B handles the front suspension, as good as, if not better than those I have had. I doubt that Honda would have built the Goldwing, one of the best selling touring bikes around, with a "inferior" suspension after all these years...JMHO

53driver
03-20-2015, 09:30 PM
No suspension issues here...this is me and a friend in the Smoky Mountains two weeks back.
He's a Pro_am Sport Bike track racer with lots of time on these roads, riding a modified Road Glide.
This was my first time ever on these roads and the most aggressive riding I've ever done.
The cam is mounted on the left engine guard, the tire is the black blob on the right.

https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xfp1/v/t43.1792-2/11027160_993631414000092_72060081_n.mp4?efg=eyJxZS I6ImZiY2RuX3ZpZGVvX3JhdGVsaW1pdF9yb2xsb3V0Mix2X3Jv bGxvdXQiLCJybHIiOjI0MDAsInJsYSI6NDA5Nn0%3D&rl=2400&vabr=1600&oh=2f737d93b6588fb832d1fdb09e57a195&oe=550CF929

srt8-in-largo
03-20-2015, 11:08 PM
WoW... what a road! Nice riding 53!

Sometimes I think people are just being people and we like finding things to debate and argue about. Nobody in their right mind can truly believe that anyone one brand or bike is perfect... but I, personally, see more Harley riders who are out of their minds in this regard :icon_biggrin:

I visited HDforums recently to see what the latest comments were about the death wobble; most people seem to say "no issues" and "bike is rock solid", interspersed with a tale or two of the wobble putting a guy in a coma, and then several posters stating with seeming authority that every bike brand has a death wobble under the right conditions.

I don't ride Harley (or any V-twin) because I prefer a different riding experience. I understand that Harley makes their bikes the way they do... ON PURPOSE... and I can appreciate riders who want that sound and the mechanical sensations; I get that. However, the reading that I did on HDforums made me question how well rounded the hard core Harley riders really are; if they think all big tourers have a death wobble and share the same characteristics as their bikes, I tend to think they don't have a clue about what a GL1800 offers.

In the spirit of doing my small part to foster the Brotherhood amongst riders, I've been making a conscious effort to focus more on what's good about different bikes... and I've stopped telling my Harley friends that if I wanted 1950's technology I'd buy a real classic.

:icon_biggrin:

:stirthepot:

srt8-in-largo
03-20-2015, 11:16 PM
I forgot to mention one other source of pride for Harley riders... the history... of both the brand and its' role in CREATING the motorcycling pasttime. I gotta give credit where it's due; Harley sure does have a storied past and they sure were a significant contributor to putting folks on two wheels. How can you hate something like that?

terrydj
03-21-2015, 02:33 PM
Taking ones hands off the handle bars at any speed, on any motorcycle, is just asking for trouble period...I don't care what your reasons are it has no grounds for common sense in my opinion....

Yah probably right but for many years I've always had the throttle lock on in the middle of the night and both hands off the grips earphones in rockin on with the sound turned up sitting on 110/120 kays. 65/70 Mph
Hah and in the old days a joint or a Benson and Hedges lit up:yes:

wylbur78
03-21-2015, 10:25 PM
I forgot to mention one other source of pride for Harley riders... the history... of both the brand and its' role in CREATING the motorcycling pasttime. I gotta give credit where it's due; Harley sure does have a storied past and they sure were a significant contributor to putting folks on two wheels. How can you hate something like that?

Srt, you're exactly right about the heritage and getting more people riding. Like I've said if I didn't like Harley's I wouldn't keep buying them like I always do. As I explained to my wife this weekend, I'm just tired of feeling every little imperfection in the road and feeling like I'm still shaking when I get to my desk and sit down in my chair at work from my hour ride in running 75-80 the whole way at around 3000 rpms on a v twin. Just want a smoother ride and something that has more performance and can handle the twisty's and curves when I want it without shelling out several thousands of dollars to get just the performance and no twisty action. If they ever change the frame design and suspension I'll go back and buy another Harley tourer. Some will even ask well what about the Victory or the Indian? They both have good frames and suspension but still lack the performance I'm after and the ability to really handle the twisty's. I think slit of that is coming from my last bike before the harley I've got now was a naked style street bike.

srt8-in-largo
03-21-2015, 11:42 PM
Hey Wylbur, welcome to the forum btw.

A 2-cylinder motor just doesn't have the power potential of a similarly displaced 4- or 6- cylinder motor; the Laws of Physics being what they are. Spreading the displacement over more cylinders and having more valves to move air creates better efficiencies. If power is a top two criteria for your next bike, more cylinders is the way to go.

Regarding your questions about the GL1800 suspension, well I'll tell ya. The shared experiences you find here and in bike reviews are true about it being astonishingly stable; push it as hard as you can and it readily complies, and asks for more. Hiccups in the suspension in the twisties and switchbacks just don't exist. For the record, I don't make definitive statements loosely; if I was aware of even a hint of any issues I would call the duck a duck.

Regarding the front suspension specifically, well, if the GL1800 platform has a weakness this would be it. Some folks report a front end wobble under certain condtions, I believe at about 40 mph and using a light grip on the handlebars. Some people attribute it to worn tires, others to loading; idk, I'm not that familiar with it. As far as I know it's difficult to reproduce and it never happens when you're thrashing on the bike. It's not something to make you fearful.

Regarding "stiffness", it sounds like you've been told or heard something. Most bike reviews don't mention it, but really bad and choppy roads are indeed unpleasant. Wallowing roads, twisties, and switchbacks no problem; but a road full of potholes will transfer the feel right to the handlebars. To me it's not any better or worse than other bikes, but just wanted to throw that out there since you asked above; you can expect an incredibly performing suspension but it is still a mortal :icon_biggrin:

If you end up getting an F6, I assure you the only thing you'll be feeling at your desk after a long commute-in is a desire to get back on the bike.

wylbur78
03-22-2015, 12:19 AM
Hey Wylbur, welcome to the forum btw.

A 2-cylinder motor just doesn't have the power potential of a similarly displaced 4- or 6- cylinder motor; the Laws of Physics being what they are. Spreading the displacement over more cylinders and having more valves to move air creates better efficiencies. If power is a top two criteria for your next bike, more cylinders is the way to go.

Regarding your questions about the GL1800 suspension, well I'll tell ya. The shared experiences you find here and in bike reviews are true about it being astonishingly stable; push it as hard as you can and it readily complies, and asks for more. Hiccups in the suspension in the twisties and switchbacks just don't exist. For the record, I don't make definitive statements loosely; if I was aware of even a hint of any issues I would call the duck a duck.

Regarding the front suspension specifically, well, if the GL1800 platform has a weakness this would be it. Some folks report a front end wobble under certain condtions, I believe at about 40 mph and using a light grip on the handlebars. Some people attribute it to worn tires, others to loading; idk, I'm not that familiar with it. As far as I know it's difficult to reproduce and it never happens when you're thrashing on the bike. It's not something to make you fearful.

Regarding "stiffness", it sounds like you've been told or heard something. Most bike reviews don't mention it, but really bad and choppy roads are indeed unpleasant. Wallowing roads, twisties, and switchbacks no problem; but a road full of potholes will transfer the feel right to the handlebars. To me it's not any better or worse than other bikes, but just wanted to throw that out there since you asked above; you can expect an incredibly performing suspension but it is still a mortal :icon_biggrin:

If you end up getting an F6, I assure you the only thing you'll be feeling at your desk after a long commute-in is a desire to get back on the bike.

Yes you are correct about the physics of the motor, know quite a bit about them, somewhat of a trained shade tree mechanic. Haha. I appreciate all the answers people have given me and X on this forum. Everyone has been helpful and i believe have given their honest opinions on questions asked. I look forward to hopefully meeting some of the guys on this forum out on the road sometime. I joined this forum last year when I was dead set on buying one and just not having the available automatic adjusting speed cruise control was just a no go for me. I just do to much highway riding and have bad wrist problems so can't hold the bars for too long or start really crapping up. Wish I would have done more test riding, but I never test rode anything which is a big no no in my book and I didn't do it anyways. So of course I defaulted to what I knew with the Harley.

Thanks again everyone and enjoy the rest of y'alls weekend for I am checking out till sometime next week.

"Ride safe and keep the rubber side down"

Jimmytee
03-22-2015, 01:21 AM
Harley now offers a Stage 4 kit that will out perform their Screaming Eagle that cost almost $40000, but the kit is still around $6500 to install and will only get you around 100-105hp and around 110-115ftlb at the rear wheel is the claim, so you're still looking at $30k-$35k for what you can get on a F6B/Goldwing or ever a Sport Tourer with a crappier ride to boot.:banghead:
If you wanna spend that kind of money on the F6B, you can achieve a reported 188 hp 230 ft. lbs. of torque with a turbocharger kit :icon_biggrin:

wylbur78
03-31-2015, 06:52 AM
I have traded my 2014 Street Glide for a 2015 F6B in the Matte Silver. Picked it up at a local shop here in Houston this past Friday morning and already have almost 600 miles on her in 2 1/2 days worth of riding, and have loved every damn minute of it. This bike rides and handles like a dream. Thanks again everyone for the opinions and advice. I wish I would have bought this bike to begin with last year. I came out upside down and added $10 to my overall bike payment but with as much as I ride it's worth it for the fuel and oil changes saving I will have. I added a taller windshield and the backrest and will change out the windshield later for a more custom looking one. Now I just need a heal toe shifter.

srt8-in-largo
03-31-2015, 10:29 AM
I have traded my 2014 Street Glide for a 2015 F6B in the Matte Silver. Picked it up at a local shop here in Houston this past Friday morning and already have almost 600 miles on her in 2 1/2 days worth of riding, and have loved every damn minute of it. This bike rides and handles like a dream. Thanks again everyone for the opinions and advice. I wish I would have bought this bike to begin with last year. I came out upside down and added $10 to my overall bike payment but with as much as I ride it's worth it for the fuel and oil changes saving I will have. I added a taller windshield and the backrest and will change out the windshield later for a more custom looking one. Now I just need a heal toe shifter.

Well well, you don't mess around.

Congrats! Let us know how it does for ya.

wylbur78
03-31-2015, 01:37 PM
Well well, you don't mess around.

Congrats! Let us know how it does for ya.

Will do... Thanks again to everyone. I hope to get to meet some of the guys and gals on this forum sometime out on the road. I will start checking the forums for the F6B riders groups and rallies as such to try and make an appearance.

"Keep the sunny side up and the rubber side down"

racer
03-31-2015, 02:55 PM

Congrats! You bought the best performing factory bagger out there!

wylbur78
04-01-2015, 09:50 PM
Here it is late Wednesday and already have 850 mile on her. By Friday I will have over 1000 miles on her. As I said earlier and on another thread, I can't believe I past this baby up for my Street Glide last year. I'm loving every minute riding this bike.

srt8-in-largo
04-01-2015, 09:57 PM
I was a hair's breadth away from getting a Streetglide; definitely a cool bike but I'm feeling good about the F6 too.

Now you can ride like you mean it! :icon_biggrin:

nvmyf6
04-02-2015, 01:48 PM
I can't believe I past this baby up for my Street Glide last year. I'm loving every minute riding this bike.

Excellent color choice. You didn't pass anything up last year, cuz this fastest color didn't exist yet :congrats:

stroguy
04-02-2015, 02:08 PM
Did you buy that at Lunsford Honda in North Houston? Did Brandon sell it to you? He sold me my matte silver just a few weeks ago.

XHarley
05-28-2015, 07:46 PM
Well, it only took over two months to move the 2014 Harley Super Glide Custom but I finally found a committed buyer and sold the thing last Friday. Ended up having to discount it way down but just glad the Harley is history. The 103 is one hot running vibrating beast in the Dyna chassis and just way too much for an enjoyable ride, in my opinion.

Began the process of buying the replacement F6B and decided to forgo buying a new 2015 in the Matte Silver and instead searched and found another BLACK (The fastest color!) F6B in the deluxe configuration with only 4900 miles on the clock and in perfect stock condition. These bikes just look so dang good in black it was not even a hard decision. Plus, I really think that Mother Honda has a trick or two up her sleeve and that she will release for 2016 or 2017 a F6B with the one option I really want, a reverse gear. So, the thought process is get another BLACK F6B and ride it for a couple of years until Honda releases for the US market the F6B Deluxe in BLACK and with Cruise, ABS Brakes and Reverse. Just adding the cruise for 2015 for the US market is just a tickler play. The European F6B for 2015 has cruise, ABS and now a reverse.

Picking her up tomorrow.

Jimmytee
05-28-2015, 07:52 PM
Well, it only took over two months to move the 2014 Harley Super Glide Custom but I finally found a committed buyer and sold the thing last Friday. Ended up having to discount it way down but just glad the Harley is history. The 103 is one hot running vibrating beast in the Dyna chassis and just way too much for an enjoyable ride, in my opinion.

Began the process of buying the replacement F6B and decided to forgo buying a new 2015 in the Matte Silver and instead searched and found another BLACK (The fastest color!) F6B in the deluxe configuration with only 4900 miles on the clock and in perfect stock condition. These bikes just look so dang good in black it was not even a hard decision. Plus, I really think that Mother Honda has a trick or two up her sleeve and that she will release for 2016 or 2017 a F6B with the one option I really want, a reverse gear. So, the thought process is get another BLACK F6B and ride it for a couple of years until Honda releases for the US market the F6B Deluxe in BLACK and with Cruise, ABS Brakes and Reverse. Just adding the cruise for 2015 for the US market is just a tickler play. The European F6B for 2015 has cruise, ABS and now a reverse.

Picking her up tomorrow.

Congrats I hope it all goes well for you. I think I'll be content with mine, but if Honda pulls out some crazy revamp of the Gold Wing line including the F6B, all bets are off.:icon_biggrin:

53driver
05-28-2015, 08:12 PM
Welcome back, XXHarley!

hiflyer
05-28-2015, 08:20 PM
Welcome back, XXHarley!

Ditto!!

srt8-in-largo
05-28-2015, 08:28 PM
Sanity strikes again!

nvmyf6
05-29-2015, 04:15 AM
Welcome back, XXHarley!

X2 'all/right'

I was wondering what was going on in your world X, haven't seen you out here in a while.

flat6bagger
05-29-2015, 05:40 AM
I am a firm believer in "If it is meant to be,it will happen."
Obviously, it was meant to be and you are very happy.
Congrats,welcome back,be safe and enjoy that F6B.

Doug

Retired Army
05-29-2015, 06:56 AM
The last perfect person got nailed to a cross, I make one mistake a day to prevent that. Now that I have had my B triked I am considering a Gl 1800 trike, the wife deserves a new couch. Here are words to live by. "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." - Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

:wheelchair wheelie: