PDA

View Full Version : Defective heated grips

shortleg0521
03-17-2015, 07:42 AM
I have a defective set of heated grips, the dealer ordered new ones for me.
My question is I have installed Kury grips, should I remove them before
I go to have them fixed?
shortleg

Hornblower
03-17-2015, 07:52 AM
I have a defective set of heated grips, the dealer ordered new ones for me.
My question is I have installed Kury grips, should I remove them before
I go to have them fixed?
shortleg

I'm not clear on what you're asking. It sounds like you already removed the stock heated grips and installed Kury grips and now, you want the dealer to install new heated grips. Is that right? And now you're wondering if you should remove the Kury grips so the dealer won't have to do that :shrug:. BTW, for anyone thinking about removing stock heated grips...it's pretty easy to damage the heating elements and great care has to be given to that process. Twisting them to get them off is a definite no-no :nono:

Elroy
03-17-2015, 08:11 AM
The Kury grips install clam-shell style over the heated the grips. There's no removal of the stock grips, just the end weights. I believe he's just asking if he should remove the kury shells before taking to dealer. IMO I would, just so I could reinstall the Kury's myself. I know when I did them, it was a pain to get them how I liked them. So much so, I stripped the hex heads of several of those tiny screws...I gotta learn to not over-tighten....:banghead:

Hornblower
03-17-2015, 09:08 AM
Thanks, Elroy, for clearing that up. Makes sense now :yes:

Steve 0080
03-17-2015, 10:04 AM
YES.... Remove them......less for the dealer to complain about and stop them from looking for a cause !!!

shortleg0521
03-17-2015, 01:19 PM
YES.... Remove them......less for the dealer to complain about and stop them from looking for a cause !!!

I have tested them and found that the left grip has 0 ohms, so open should be 2ohms
I then tested for 12volts at the green/white wire and didnot get any.
Right side grip has 2 ohms so that one should be good.
All that being said should I tell them all I know or will I come off looking
like a smart ass
shortleg

jkelley
03-17-2015, 02:24 PM
depends on your dealer tech. some will check the basics. Others are parts changers and will have no idea what you are talking about.

Personally I think you have a good enough handle on it I would repair it myself rather than let any dealer touch mine....

LX2
03-18-2015, 06:54 AM
I know if my heated grips were being replaced (you said "set" RIGHT?) I'd make sure they left enough room on the throttle tube to be able to install some kind of throttle lock even if you have electronic cruise. It's so much easier to just "bump" a throttle lock for a moments right hand adjustment of something than to set a cruise and wait for it to take over or if you are below speed and it's ability to operate.

GatorWing
03-19-2015, 09:51 PM
depends on your dealer tech. some will check the basics. Others are parts changers and will have no idea what you are talking about.

Personally I think you have a good enough handle on it I would repair it myself rather than let any dealer touch mine....

I am going to assume the F6B engine & front cowl is identical to the 2012 regular Wing and all other generation 2 Wings. I noticed a Gen 2 bike having a defective heated grip replaced at my local dealership. It is no longer an easy job like the gen 1 bikes. The Gen 1 bikes had the plug from the grips located outside the bikes radiator. The Gen 2 bikes have the grip connectors between between the radiator and the engine :icon_doh:. That means the side plastic and radiator need to be removed to replace the grip assembly and cord :yikes:.
Very expensive to replace labor wise.
I do not let a dealer touch my bike but if under warranty I would make an exception. I don't think warranty work is paid for by mother Honda unless a dealer does the repair.
You might want to check the repair manual for the F6B and hope the connector is different than that of the regular Wing.
I read somewhere that some with no warranty left were cutting the cords a few inches from the grips and splicing the wires rather than removing plastic and a radiator.
Mother Honda, what were you thinking about :cus: :shock:

srt8-in-largo
03-19-2015, 11:06 PM
As far as I know the F6 engine and front cowl are identical to the GW, with the exception of small styling differences... like the 2-port-holes versus 3-port-holes on the side of both radiators.

Dior55
03-22-2015, 07:10 PM
I am going to assume the F6B engine & front cowl is identical to the 2012 regular Wing and all other generation 2 Wings. I noticed a Gen 2 bike having a defective heated grip replaced at my local dealership. It is no longer an easy job like the gen 1 bikes. The Gen 1 bikes had the plug from the grips located outside the bikes radiator. The Gen 2 bikes have the grip connectors between between the radiator and the engine :icon_doh:. That means the side plastic and radiator need to be removed to replace the grip assembly and cord :yikes:.
Very expensive to replace labor wise.
I do not let a dealer touch my bike but if under warranty I would make an exception. I don't think warranty work is paid for by mother Honda unless a dealer does the repair.
You might want to check the repair manual for the F6B and hope the connector is different than that of the regular Wing.
I read somewhere that some with no warranty left were cutting the cords a few inches from the grips and splicing the wires rather than removing plastic and a radiator.
Mother Honda, what were you thinking about :cus: :shock:

You do not have to take off the radiator to install heated grips. Mind you it is a PITA and not for the faint of heart, but it is mostly removing lots of the plactics from the seat forward and the dashboard to get to the connectors on the right side. And the left side grip is virtually impossible to slide on the handlebar. I actually broke the internals trying to install the first one (no twisting either), so I did it twice and it is a lot of work.