PDA

View Full Version : IPOD or USB ?

lloydmoore1
03-17-2015, 04:48 PM
Which one offers the best sound? I would assume the Ipod but just want input from someone who has tried both?
thanks

F6B1911
03-17-2015, 05:47 PM
Which one offers the best sound? I would assume the Ipod but just want input from someone who has tried both?
thanks

Not sure it's the iPod or the USB so much as it is how the music was encoded.
A 256K file will sound much better than a 126K file.
True CD-quality files take up anywhere from three to 10 times as much as space as an MP3 or AAC file, depending on the latter's bit rate; 24-bit files take up even more space.
They come in several formats: FLAC, WAV, AIFF, and Apple Lossless. (FLAC and Apple Lossless contain some data compression but only in a method that doesn't affect sound quality.

unsub
03-17-2015, 05:57 PM
thanks

All I can add is that USB is far more convenient for managing, storing and carrying your music, and cheaper too.

53driver
03-17-2015, 06:58 PM
Windows .wav files or Apple's "Lossless" format to get the "best" sound from a USB input.
But you are going to use a lot of storage space. 15-17 songs per gigabyte.
MP3s, even at their highest bit rates, are quite literally crushed.

valkmc
03-17-2015, 06:59 PM
All I can add is that USB is far more convenient for managing, storing and carrying your music, and cheaper too.

I have never used a USB for music so I am curious how it is more convenient for storing and managing music? I have an IPOD I came into when one of my sons moved on to a bigger and better model. It seems very easy to use but I have nothing to compare it to.

F6B1911
03-17-2015, 07:04 PM
I have never used a USB for music so I am curious how it is more convenient for storing and managing music? I have an IPOD I came into when one of my sons moved on to a bigger and better model. It seems very easy to use but I have nothing to compare it to.

A USB drive has no batteries, doesn't need to be re-charged, you don't lose any storage space for the Apple overhead files like on an iPod, basically it's just a hard drive.

bdmcrider
03-17-2015, 07:17 PM
Can't comment on the quality question, but was happily surprised to find out my old iPhone 4S loaded to brim with a couple hundred CD's was treated just like an iPod when plugged into the bike! Fully controllable, playlists, artists, songs......sweet!

It's the little things..................... :)

srt8-in-largo
03-17-2015, 10:29 PM
Digital is digital... whether from iPod, USB, or whatever else; these are simply storage and retrieval devices.

Good sound comes from quality encoding and quality playback systems.

Not sure it's the iPod or the USB so much as it is how the music was encoded.
A 256K file will sound much better than a 126K file.
True CD-quality files take up anywhere from three to 10 times as much as space as an MP3 or AAC file, depending on the latter's bit rate; 24-bit files take up even more space.
They come in several formats: FLAC, WAV, AIFF, and Apple Lossless. (FLAC and Apple Lossless contain some data compression but only in a method that doesn't affect sound quality.

+1

encinoman
03-17-2015, 10:45 PM
I plugged my Iphone 5 into the USB jack with the same music I have on my USB...I can't tell the difference in sound.
The thing I like about the USB is it is sooo easy to load and change the music on it!!! In ITunes it is a challenge to load the music I want...
With the USB I just go to my music folder and load away!!!! After I load it all I have a program that will tag it and number the songs anyway I like them... :039:

grendl
03-21-2015, 11:35 PM
I am still confused about making the USB thing happen. I loaded all my Itunes songs to a USB,it took them but when I plug it in the bike says 'No Song' I checked it with a USB that works and aha they are MPEG 4. A little reseach on my stored music on the one that works and so far my conclusion is the Honda sound system will play an Ipod ok and MPEG3 ok, but cant see MPEG4?
I am lost. Any geniuses out there that know how this works?
I tested with my Daughter's Ipod works great. Mine was stolen from my car.Clues on using the USB ? Changing the format ...?

F6B1911
03-21-2015, 11:45 PM
I am still confused about making the USB thing happen. I loaded all my Itunes songs to a USB,it took them but when I plug it in the bike says 'No Song' I checked it with a USB that works and aha they are MPEG 4. A little reseach on my stored music on the one that works and so far my conclusion is the Honda sound system will play an Ipod ok and MPEG3 ok, but cant see MPEG4?
I tested with my Daughter's Ipod works great. Mine was stolen from my car.Clues on using the USB ? Changing the format ...?

The Goldwing audio system is fussy on directory structure and encoding format.
Google this: Honda Goldwing GL1800 Digital Music Player-Changer Virtual CD, i followed this and every usb key works as expected.

srt8-in-largo
03-21-2015, 11:52 PM

Have you read the manual?

I don't see where it says the system supports MPEG3 or MPEG4. Also make sure your USB flash is formatted in one of the listed formats.

lloydmoore1
03-22-2015, 07:08 AM
I plugged my Iphone 5 into the USB jack with the same music I have on my USB...I can't tell the difference in sound.
The thing I like about the USB is it is sooo easy to load and change the music on it!!! In ITunes it is a challenge to load the music I want...
With the USB I just go to my music folder and load away!!!! After I load it all I have a program that will tag it and number the songs anyway I like them... :039:

Thats the type of info I was looking for. I was thinking that the IPOD with its own EQ might boost the quality of sound.

Jimmytee
03-22-2015, 07:36 AM
Thats the type of info I was looking for. I was thinking that the IPOD with its own EQ might boost the quality of sound.

I believe the I-Pod's EQ will only have an effect on the headphone outlet in the analog domain. When you hook up using the USB, the files should be transmitted as they are . Now if you hooked your I-Pod through the 3.5 mm headphone jack, that would be another story. That being said, it is usually best to have as little overlapping sound processing as possible to achieve the best quality.

tinknocker
03-22-2015, 11:38 AM
I ordered a Bluetooth receiver only then to think about the usb instead...well I haven't received the Bluetooth yet but couldn't imagine it working as good as the usb and also the usb didn't need charged....I guess when I get the Bluetooth receiver I will maybe sell it to one of my buddies that only had an aux input on their Harley...

rumble-b
03-22-2015, 05:45 PM
The bike will play mpeg3 more commonly referred to as mp3. If your music is in mpeg4 / mp4 format , there are a number if free converters available on the net that you can use.

luckyluciano
03-22-2015, 07:36 PM
Is there anything wrong with just using your iPhone 6? I play my playlists from my RDIO subscription. I control the songs up front. While plugged in, my phone is getting charged. Perfect.

tinknocker
03-23-2015, 01:54 PM
I ordered a Bluetooth receiver only then to think about the usb instead...well I haven't received the Bluetooth yet but couldn't imagine it working as good as the usb and also the usb didn't need charged....I guess when I get the Bluetooth receiver I will maybe sell it to one of my buddies that only had an aux input on their Harley...

Just received my Bluetooth receiver today and boy am I glad I got the usb set up..it sounds way better.

grendl
05-09-2015, 11:29 AM
Thanx for the advice. I looked into the suggestions and yes,I read the manual but still had issues dealing with the Itunes on USB. Soooo,I went to Amazon,found a refurbished Ipod NANO got it and reloaded it with my iTUNES library and problem solved . Sound quality seems to be better and controls from the handle bars. Happy Camper !!!

wjduke
12-14-2015, 05:44 AM
Doing a search here from my ride yesterday. I don't have any music d/l on my iPhone 5s, but tried to play pandora through the usb in the saddlebag. It was a no go. My friend plugged his ipod in and it was fine. As you can tell, I have no clue about plug in's. Is that possible or do I need to d/l music in the music app? I might just get an ipod and leave the phone in my pocket.

I'm clueless, so thanks for any advice.

06Blackpearl
12-14-2015, 07:20 AM
Doing a search here from my ride yesterday. I don't have any music d/l on my iPhone 5s, but tried to play pandora through the usb in the saddlebag. It was a no go. My friend plugged his ipod in and it was fine. As you can tell, I have no clue about plug in's. Is that possible or do I need to d/l music in the music app? I might just get an ipod and leave the phone in my pocket.

Same here I plugged my iPod nano into the usb and no sound no nothing, pushed the aux button few times and still nothing??
Plugged the iPod into the 3.5mm jack and it played fine..
Guess I'll get the manual out and see what it says...

I also use my iPhone 6+ via 3.5mm jack with IHeart Radio app and the sound is perfect !

wjduke
12-14-2015, 07:43 AM
Same here I plugged my iPod nano into the usb and no sound no nothing, pushed the aux button few times and still nothing??
Plugged the iPod into the 3.5mm jack and it played fine..
Guess I'll get the manual out and see what it says...

I also use my iPhone 6+ via 3.5mm jack with IHeart Radio app and the sound is perfect !

I would have thought the ipod would work. My phone didn't work with the left cubby wire either. I didn't spend a lot of time on it, wanted to ride. I'll probably look for an ipod. I don't like to mess around too much testing this or that, but thought I'd ask about pandora first.

lloydmoore1
12-14-2015, 08:38 AM

Best choice in my opinion would be get your music put on a memory stick... stick it in the saddle bag and your all set up. The sound is great and just as good or better than the ipod hookup. I've done both.
Just keep the music in the folders less than 250 songs in each, MP3 format and bobs your uncle. I have about 2000 songs on mine and I usually listen to the radio but when the station starts to go I hit my aux button once and get my good tunes going.

06Blackpearl
12-14-2015, 08:41 AM
I would have thought the ipod would work. My phone didn't work with the left cubby wire either. I didn't spend a lot of time on it, wanted to ride. I'll probably look for an ipod. I don't like to mess around too much testing this or that, but thought I'd ask about pandora first.

Same here I got up early erased the iOS and loaded it with newer music since I haven't used it in several years..

Im sure Pandora will work via the 3.5jack In the cubby ..
I'm skipping the usb and just getting a Bluetooth transmitter and use my iphone with IHeart radio app.. This way I can mount my phone on the bars and use navigation when needed and it should all come through speakers ..

wjduke
12-14-2015, 09:02 AM
That ipod sounded so good...I'll see how much I want to spend then decide. I'll still wait to see if pandora can work there though. No rush at this stage of the year.

Fla_rider
12-14-2015, 11:21 AM
I use both, trying to figure out how to use both on a USB docking toggle now that would be cool. I don't notice any difference. My ipod has been in the left cubby since April 2014. I have had to reset it about half a dozen times but that's not much. My Ipod has 160 GB. My USB flash drive has 16GB. Sure the Ipod has plenty of corny songs on it, but I like to listen to different things at different times, Dean Martin, Irish Instrumental, Jazz, 70s Rock, Motown. The Ipod can hold over 30k songs! The USB is more focused to mostly Rock music. Get down the rode if you don't like the music change to FM. Each has its advantages as a USB flash drive cost about $10 bucks. You can't even buy a Ipod anymore. I'm sure one day my Ipod will crap out, by then 100 gb flash drives will be common and $10 a piece too!

I listen to Pandora or Itunes radio via bluetooth receiver connected to earphone jack in left cubby and powered by cig. lighter jack.

valkmc
12-14-2015, 12:56 PM
I use both, trying to figure out how to use both on a USB docking toggle now that would be cool. I don't notice any difference. My ipod has been in the left cubby since April 2014. I have had to reset it about half a dozen times but that's not much. My Ipod has 160 GB. My USB flash drive has 16GB. Sure the Ipod has plenty of corny songs on it, but I like to listen to different things at different times, Dean Martin, Irish Instrumental, Jazz, 70s Rock, Motown. The Ipod can hold over 30k songs! The USB is more focused to mostly Rock music. Get down the rode if you don't like the music change to FM. Each has its advantages as a USB flash drive cost about $10 bucks. You can't even buy a Ipod anymore. I'm sure one day my Ipod will crap out, by then 100 gb flash drives will be common and $10 a piece too!

I listen to Pandora or Itunes radio via bluetooth receiver connected to earphone jack in left cubby and powered by cig. lighter jack.

I have now tried both and have stayed with my Ipod. Easy to download music on for me and has lots of space. If I am walking around somewhere and want to I can pull it out and throw on some headphones. I have several different play list on it. The largest has 305 songs and then I have 4 more with smaller amounts of specialized songs for my mood. I have not reset mine in six months except when I remove it and put it back. I thought being plugged in all the time would ruin the battery but it hasn't yet. I can still hook it to my headphone like I did on a recent Amtrak trip (can't stand flying) and the battery lasted like normal. The best part is I didn't have to buy it. I had 3 sons and a step son and when one of the moved up I inherited it.

wjduke
12-28-2015, 07:18 PM
I'm back. I bought a SanDisk Cruzer Glide 64GB flash drive over the weekend. First time I d/l music, after two hours of frustration, I went to the bike and got "no song". Pissed, I came home, and found that it was in folders. Not knowing what I'm doing, I deleted it all, finally figured how to d/l each cd into it, (about 150 something songs) and brought it to work. It played in my pc there. Happy, after work, go to the bike, plug it in and get " check usb ". Here I am, searching usb's and wondering what's wrong. Maybe it's the mpeg3/4 thing? It's not going to take too long for me to just go and get an ipod nano. I know that works, as my friend plugged his in. I have about 14 hours of music in the thing and it's at less than 2% capacity. I'll see if I can get some advice here, before I go shopping tomorrow.

It's in MPEG-4 audio...I don't think that's compatible. Any advice how to change that?

F6B1911
12-28-2015, 07:53 PM
I'm back. I bought a SanDisk Cruzer Glide 64GB flash drive over the weekend. First time I d/l music, after two hours of frustration, I went to the bike and got "no song". Pissed, I came home, and found that it was in folders. Not knowing what I'm doing, I deleted it all, finally figured how to d/l each cd into it, (about 150 something songs) and brought it to work. It played in my pc there. Happy, after work, go to the bike, plug it in and get " check usb ". Here I am, searching usb's and wondering what's wrong. Maybe it's the mpeg3/4 thing? It's not going to take too long for me to just go and get an ipod nano. I know that works, as my friend plugged his in. I have about 14 hours of music in the thing and it's at less than 2% capacity. I'll see if I can get some advice here, before I go shopping tomorrow.
It's in MPEG-4 audio...I don't think that's compatible. Any advice how to change that?

A USB thumb drive is the way to go, it's just a lil' fussy about the directory structure.
Check out this page: http://wingstuff.k7tty.com
I downloaded and installed the application, it creates a flawless directory structure every time.

*NOTE* - it is a paid app, but you can use it in demo mode with limited functionality, I think it only copies a few files from each album... I just went back later and manually copied the remaining songs from each album... I ended up just purchasing it.
You can do quite a few thumb drives for the cost of an iPod, plus you don't need to worry about battery failure on a thumb drive.
Remember, you need to have all of you songs the same format for optimal results.
Now, I have a few dozen thumb drives, just depends on what mood I'm in.

wjduke
12-28-2015, 08:37 PM
Thanks for trying to help an idiot, but I'm a little more confused now. I also already own a 5s iPhone. I might just try that in the usb port. I bought a cable already too...wasting all kinds of money and no music yet. I don't do phone calls while I ride anyway and my music is in it, same as the flash drive. A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while...something is gonna work.

bertrider
12-28-2015, 09:32 PM
Thanks for trying to help an idiot, but I'm a little more confused now. I also already own a 5s iPhone. I might just try that in the usb port. I bought a cable already too...wasting all kinds of money and no music yet. I don't do phone calls while I ride anyway and my music is in it, same as the flash drive. A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while...something is gonna work.

I'm challenged the same way, WjDuke. I downloaded my music to MediaMonkey Gold, a MP3 program I got off the net. I used it to transfer the music to a flash drive and then put it in my side case in the usb port. It worked. The sound system obviously recognizes MP3.

You could always plug your phone into the aux plug in the glovebox and listen to your music that way. The audio people here say the sound isn't as good but how well can you hear that at 70 mph anyway?

wjduke
12-29-2015, 05:19 AM
I'm challenged the same way, WjDuke. I downloaded my music to MediaMonkey Gold, a MP3 program I got off the net. I used it to transfer the music to a flash drive and then put it in my side case in the usb port. It worked. The sound system obviously recognizes MP3.

You could always plug your phone into the aux plug in the glovebox and listen to your music that way. The audio people here say the sound isn't as good but how well can you hear that at 70 mph anyway?

I figure if you use the usb, it'll charge too. I saw some converter programs online, but I don't know what I'm doing. Scared is probably the word. Somebody at work should know...I'll get it.

Fla_rider
12-29-2015, 08:07 AM
I figure if you use the usb, it'll charge too. I saw some converter programs online, but I don't know what I'm doing. Scared is probably the word. Somebody at work should know...I'll get it.

Didn't understand this bolded section WJ? Flash drives don't need charging, or did you mean an ipod? If your not a techie I would recommend just getting an Ipod put songs on it and Plug and Play. Let me know if you have any more questions. I use an Ipod classic with about 1600 songs on it. I had 27k songs but I edited it down to a more reasonable amount.

wjduke
12-29-2015, 08:16 AM
Didn't understand this bolded section WJ? Flash drives don't need charging, or did you mean an ipod? If your not a techie I would recommend just getting an Ipod put songs on it and Plug and Play. Let me know if you have any more questions. I use an Ipod classic with about 1600 songs on it. I had 27k songs but I edited it down to a more reasonable amount.

Yes, I meant my iphone will charge there. I might try converting the file on the flash drive here at work. We have an IT guy. Worse comes to worse, I'll use my iphone.....thanks for the help. ipods are too much $$ if my phone will do the same.

Fla_rider
12-29-2015, 08:33 AM
For the purposes of this discussion, iPhone is the same as iPod. Both are Apple storage devices that will be charged and controlled from the left toggle switch. Hopefully, that is a old iPhone so you wouldn't need to connect and disconnect every time you park.

wjduke
12-29-2015, 09:26 AM
For the purposes of this discussion, iPhone is the same as iPod. Both are Apple storage devices that will be charged and controlled from the left toggle switch. Hopefully, that is a old iPhone so you wouldn't need to connect and disconnect every time you park.

Well, I don't chat and ride anyway, so looking at the phone when I park will have to do. It is my 2nd choice...hoping the flash drive works first!

GaTeach
12-29-2015, 09:49 AM
WJ,

The music issue was what led me to this forum to begin with...what a pain in the ass. If you search the forum, someone (Papa Tater?) has instructions on how to set up the flash drive. It's a huge pain and every time I add new music, I have to go through the process.

I have a flashdrive plugged in to the USB port in the saddlebag.

I use iTunes so I converted all my music to MP3. (highlight songs, right click to "Convert to MP3)

Set up playlists (or folders) and move the converted songs.

Download to flashdrive.

Huge pain and takes foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever.

But before I converted all the music, I might only be able to listen to fifteen songs. Not good!!!

Good luck. I'll try to find that thread and link it.

GaTeach
12-29-2015, 09:50 AM
Best thing about flash drive in the saddlebag....you can just forget it. And the phone stays in the cubby.

GaTeach
12-29-2015, 09:55 AM
[http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?6881-My-F6B-My-Music-and-My-USB-How-To[/URL]

DaWadd
12-29-2015, 10:07 AM
Very happy using IPod nano in saddlebag. Everything works as intended."coffee"

wjduke
12-29-2015, 11:44 AM
WJ,

The music issue was what led me to this forum to begin with...what a pain in the ass. If you search the forum, someone (Papa Tater?) has instructions on how to set up the flash drive. It's a huge pain and every time I add new music, I have to go through the process.

I use iTunes so I converted all my music to MP3. (highlight songs, right click to "Convert to MP3)

Download to flashdrive.

But before I converted all the music, I might only be able to listen to fifteen songs. Not good!!!

Thanks...I hope it's as simple as a click to convert to mp3. The IT guy here might convert it to mpeg1 or 2....I will mention that to him also...I have the help between you guys and here, so something good will come out of this! I spent over 3 hours just getting the download to work at all...never felt so helpless and at my age now, no patience!! I see your added info, so I'll revert to that if needed. One thing I mentioned before, my original d/l seemed to be in folders, and the bike didn't recognize anything. Now that I know why, folders might work better next time. I'll be back and rehash this when it's resolved. Thanks to all who are trying here! New book should be out..."Flash Drives for Dummies".

wjduke
12-29-2015, 11:48 AM
Very happy using IPod nano in saddlebag. Everything works as intended."coffee"

I'll use my phone before that. I know those work, had a friend try his, but they're $150 and I have a phone already.

wjduke
12-29-2015, 04:40 PM
MP3 format installed on the flash drive....big test after work! I know you all can't wait....

wjduke
12-29-2015, 06:08 PM
Still doesn't work boys and girls. Plug in the flash and it says check USB. Try a couple of times, no good. Plug in my iPhone, nothing either. I now think I have a system failure, or I'm the dumbest person on earth. Need to find an iPod and see if that plays. If it does, we have many bridges to jump off. If not, I know I have a bike problem.

F6B1911
12-29-2015, 06:31 PM
Still doesn't work boys and girls. Plug in the flash and it says check USB. Try a couple of times, no good. Plug in my iPhone, nothing either. I now think I have a system failure, or I'm the dumbest person on earth. Need to find an iPod and see if that plays. If it does, we have many bridges to jump off. If not, I know I have a bike problem.

Check the AUX setting on the audio system.

F6B1911
12-29-2015, 06:34 PM
Still doesn't work boys and girls. Plug in the flash and it says check USB.

Process of elimination always works...
Find a USB drive, copy only one song to it and don't put in a folder.

GaTeach
12-29-2015, 06:59 PM

Noooo. You're not! It really is that crazy sometimes. Getting my music straight was a big pain. If you search the topic here on the forum, you'll find a lot of advice. It's very common so it's probably not the bike. It's just a matter of talking your bike into accepting the tunes. :)

wjduke
12-29-2015, 10:04 PM
Check the AUX setting on the audio system.

How do I do that? I get the proper signs, meaning I hit it twice and I get USB with the speaker symbol. When I pop in the flash drive, it says check usb. When I plugged in my iPhone, it doesn't say ipod. It doesn't do anything (that I can recall, the bike isn't near me right now).

Here's what I did with the phone. I have a patch cord from the usb port to the phone...I put the phone to my music app and open it. I click on a cd, then pick a song. I can hear it playing. I close the side door. I hit audio, then click the aux twice. That's when I get nothing from it. Have I done something wrong there? Do I not open the music app??

Process of elimination always works...
Find a USB drive, copy only one song to it and don't put in a folder.
None of the songs are in a folder....they're listed one by one in a long list, not separated by anything.

Noooo. You're not! It really is that crazy sometimes. Getting my music straight was a big pain. If you search the topic here on the forum, you'll find a lot of advice. It's very common so it's probably not the bike. It's just a matter of talking your bike into accepting the tunes. :)
I've read most everything and I think I have it as you and others have said, I feel I'm not doing something right in the sequence. The IT guy at work put the flash drive into MP3 format today. I tried it on my pc and it said it right there. What's driving me insane is the fact that an ipod worked like a charm as soon as we plugged it in, and nothing else is.

F6B1911
12-30-2015, 09:02 AM
I've read most everything and I think I have it as you and others have said, I feel I'm not doing something right in the sequence. The IT guy at work put the flash drive into MP3 format today. I tried it on my pc and it said it right there. What's driving me insane is the fact that an ipod worked like a charm as soon as we plugged it in, and nothing else is.

Can you print a directory of the USB from the root?

plug the USB into a computer, run a command prompt, navigate to the drive later of the drive, then type dir>c:\dir.txt
then upload that here.

on a Mac type LS instead of DIR.

lloydmoore1
12-30-2015, 09:16 AM
If your songs are not in a file it may not work especially if you are over 250 of them.
Just create folders and make sure there are less than 250 songs in each.

Also I had a problem with the same msg and it was the usb stick that was not compatible for some reason.
I have a memory stick done up with about 750 songs that I'm not using if you want it just pm me your address and I'll send it to you, no probs.

wjduke
12-30-2015, 10:38 AM
Can you print a directory of the USB from the root?

plug the USB into a computer, run a command prompt, navigate to the drive later of the drive, then type dir>c:\dir.txt
then upload that here.

on a Mac type LS instead of DIR.
I'm having a guy look at these messages. He does our computers at work.

If your songs are not in a file it may not work especially if you are over 250 of them.
Just create folders and make sure there are less than 250 songs in each.

Also I had a problem with the same msg and it was the usb stick that was not compatible for some reason.
I have a memory stick done up with about 750 songs that I'm not using if you want it just pm me your address and I'll send it to you, no probs.

I only have about 150 songs in it, less than 2% of the storage. If all else fails, I'd buy that stick from you, but I have a feeling our music tastes aren't the same. I look dorky, but I love metal, rock, and that kind of stuff!

Fla_rider
12-31-2015, 09:01 AM
Not all Flash drives work! Got to get a good one.

wjduke
12-31-2015, 10:28 AM
Not all Flash drives work! Got to get a good one.

Sandisk?

lloydmoore1
12-31-2015, 10:59 AM
I have had a scandisk that would not work, not a very reliable one. Good luck.

grendl
01-01-2016, 09:31 PM
I went through this trying to get some tunes on my bike. Tried the downloads for compatibility and finally ended up with a thumb drive(memory stick) and loaded the songs from my itunes library onto it.NOT my itunes library-it would not play,just the music I put into my itunes library. That worked but i had no control other than skipping to the next (or previous) song. I finally went to Amazon and bought an Ipod NANO from the models listed in the owners manual.Paid about 60 bucks for a used one. It is only large enough to hold 4 days of music but it works,no problem. I can easily settle for that until I can clear my list down to a GPS with Sirius radio.

Jimmytee
01-01-2016, 10:47 PM
I use a Sandisc . 32 Gig. Of course now I play everything through the Clarion unit on my bike, but I used the same thumb drive when I used the stock system. The stock system wouldn't play all the files on my drive where I have not had that issue with the Clarion.

Yeahoo Whoyah
01-02-2016, 01:31 AM
That worked but i had no control other than skipping to the next (or previous) song.

For MP3's on a memory stick plugged into the port in the sadlebag, isn't that all the control possible?

Winston
01-02-2016, 04:05 AM
For MP3's on a memory stick plugged into the port in the sadlebag, isn't that all the control possible?

With a memory stick and mp3, I have no problems to go through different folders, subfolders

wjduke
01-02-2016, 05:31 AM
I'm not done messing with this, but the latest thing I did was try my iPhone in the left cubby through the headphone wire and it works fine. Nothing out of the USB port with either item. I can get the power outlet cheap enough and be done with it, but I'm on a mission with the USB first.

Papa Tater
01-02-2016, 10:45 AM
WJ,

Download to flashdrive.

Try disconnecting the battery 1st , it resets the radio/USB. Make sure that's not an issue 1st.

Here's link to my post I did a few months back - hope this helps

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?6881-My-F6B-My-Music-and-My-USB-How-To

Papa Tater

wjduke
01-02-2016, 11:49 AM
Try disconnecting the battery 1st , it resets the radio/USB. Make sure that's not an issue 1st.

Here's link to my post I did a few months back - hope this helps

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?6881-My-F6B-My-Music-and-My-USB-How-To

Papa Tater

Thank you...I subscribed to your thread. I'm trying a different flash drive this afternoon. Step 10 will be next :banghead:

wjduke
01-02-2016, 12:36 PM
It now works! My IT guy at work used a different flash drive. A PNY 32GB. Plugged it in and success. Either the Sandisk isn't compatible, or 64 GB is too large a file? It works in a regular computer. So...to all who helped, and there was quite a few, a major thank you! Just beware of a Sandisk 64GB! Now, I was so excited that it worked, I didn't try the iPhone, but as of now, I don't need it to work there anyway.

lloydmoore1
01-02-2016, 03:13 PM
Great to hear..way to stick wth it!

mercator1
01-02-2016, 04:46 PM

USB drive has no moving parts. If you have an older iPod, then it had a hard drive. The touch, nano, etc. are all flash drives, so no moving parts. You're just paying for a lot of features on an iPod that won't server you on a bike (wireless, camera, etc.). An mp3 file encoded at 128k should sound the same whether it is served up using a combination of the iPod and bike's software, or just from the USB stick using the bikes software.

Although, if you are using the iPod, you would likely be using its DAC, where the USB drive would have to depend on the DAC in the F6B radio system. That could potentially be an issue. Someone should do some testing and we'd know.

wjduke
01-02-2016, 05:15 PM
Great to hear..way to stick wth it!

Thanks...you were right on the Sandisk not working in the bike. It works on pc's. I traded mine with 64GB for the one that works.

lloydmoore1
01-02-2016, 06:23 PM
Yeah funny story with the scandisk. My buddy has a CTX 1300 and I copied some music on a scandisk and he couldn't get it to work so I tried it and same thing no go. Not sure why but I'm far from a PC geek so just swapped it out for another and it was good to go.
It's great to be able to load up the USB stick and play all the tunes with a flick of a switch. It comes in louder and better quality than the radio.

GaTeach
01-02-2016, 10:10 PM
YAY!

choptop
03-07-2016, 06:50 PM
I think I might be stupid or something... but last year I road all year w/the same 80 or so songs on my 8 gb memory stick,had a lot more but a sht load of the were not formatted to mp3, I promised this year to do better. Bought a bunch off of Itunes, transferred a bunch to be formatted from something 4 to mp3, had about 400 or so songs, put them in playlists, took hours, using Wondershare to download them to the memory stick threw my computer. took it out to the 6 and all I seem to have is 150 songs, that I have never listened to and don't really like and totally not sure were they all came from. that I can listen to.
Was reading the booklet, pushed the mode button,turned dial till either file or folder showed up and when I push on either one I get the same songs ? Anyone, anyone

choptop
03-07-2016, 07:55 PM
Put my big boy panties, went back at it and do believe that I got it. Will have to fine tune and convert many to mp3 because I transferred differently and not from were I had previously converted then. but it's all good now.

Injun Joe
03-08-2016, 07:38 AM
I'm pretty confident in saying that on the F6B, the stock sound system is the choke point when it comes to quality. I prefer iPod to usb because I prefer the control interface when paired with the F6B.

choptop
03-08-2016, 10:49 AM
I have downloaded the same music to an old, 3 years or so, android phone. W/the new speakers and the choice of music delivery systems things should be ok, I hope.