PDA

View Full Version : Windshields for the uninitiated

bigswole31
03-18-2015, 10:01 PM
I'm 6' 3" and I've been an owner of an ULTRA-FAST Black F6B since July 2014. I've come to understand that a new windshield is one of the first (second to a new seat?) accessories that many purchase. I hear all of this talk about buffeting and such, but I always expected a lot of wind on a motorcycle, having never ridden one with a shield on it. All of my riding has been on "standard" or "sport" bikes, so this is my first time on a tourer/bagger.

I have no experience with "clean air". I certainly wouldn't MIND less wind noise and whistling in my full-face modular helmet or being able to hear my music on the highway without having it turned up to 24, but I don't like how really tall shields make the bike look. Also, on warm\hot days, I'd HATE to lose the cooling effect of the air flow through my mesh jacket. Is the windshield mainly intended for riders who ride open-faced??

Last riding season, I went on quite a few long day trips, logging many hours of continuous riding at 80+ mph and quite a few hours riding in the rain. I don't ever remember feeling "beatup" by the wind or excessively fatigued, but maybe I just don't know what I'm missing having never ridden behind a shield before. The thing is, I would hate to drop money on a shield and hate the experience. I do like the look of the dark 9-inch Cee-Bailey, but I would assume that it would be purely cosmetic. The tallest shields that look decent to me are the blacked-out Baggershield and the blacked-out Klock Werks (I guess that you can tell that I prefer the look of the really dark shields on a black bike.), but at my height, would they also be merely cosmetic?

So are all of you "shielders" coming from tourers and baggers? Do you owners of non-vented shields get enough air to keep you cool and comfy in the heat? I wish that there was some way to test these things out before plunking down the money, but such is life.

In the end, I know that the decision is mine, but I appreciate any input/info that you all are willing to share. Thanks in advance!

encinoman
03-18-2015, 10:58 PM
I am 6' 1" and just put on the 11" Baggershield Sport....It says it's 11 inches tall but if you install it all the way up It is 12 1/2" from the top of the seal to the top of the shield.
I love it!!! It blocks some wind and I still can feel it on my face when I'm riding. It's a little wider at the bottom and blocks a lot of the wind off my hands without buying all the deflectors.
I think it is the perfect height and you can see through it a little. This picture is my bike exactly..Looks awesome...

sabre85
03-19-2015, 07:45 AM
I have a baggarshield adjustable and love it. Best of both worlds, lookin over it with wind in your face when you want it, sittin behind it in calm air when you want that. Takes just a few moments to convert from low stock looking smoke shield to the higher full coverage version. With the extension up I sit in calm air at 80, and can hear the radio just fine. The bottom part is made so that you have about 2 inches of adjustment.

Steve 0080
03-19-2015, 09:09 AM
Bigswoles, I just mailed a shield to Sdcatrman , this shield has been passed around for folks to install and come up with a height that fits you. You install the shield and with painters tape go down the road and MARK the height on the shield you want your shield to be, then you can order a shield KNOWONG what heights you like. Sdcatman, will need it for at least two weeks then, I am sure he will get it to you if you want...

ORDER OF IMPROVEMENTS::::

1. Risers if any will be installed

2. Seat, if you are moving away from stock

3. Shield is the last thing on this list !!!

Hope this helps !!!

BIGLRY
03-19-2015, 12:24 PM
ORDER OF IMPROVEMENTS::::

1. Risers if any will be installed

2. Seat, if you are moving away from stock

3. Shield is the last thing on this list !!!

Hope this helps !!!I agree 100%... I would have saved myself a lot of hard earned $ if I had done it that way.:301:

srt8-in-largo
03-19-2015, 01:17 PM
I prefer to be out of the dirty air, and I enjoy the look of a tall tinted shield with a blacked out base.

With the OEM shield, on calm days the air did feel good, but on other days the buffeting was just too much.

Whether or not a shield provides enough air to keep you cool is relative; you're not going to be "as" cool, but there's still enough air movement to stay comfortable on the highway.

opas ride
03-19-2015, 01:20 PM
I am completely satisfied with my adjustable Baggershield...Even though I am only 5'9" I have it set at the 19" tallest position and it works great for me ..No wind noise, no turbulence, and does the job!!...Good luck as there are many choices available...

grendl
03-21-2015, 11:03 PM
Probably my own insanity, ut I have looked at a lot of the taller than stock shields and some of them look really good on this bike. But..I have taken a couple long trips on it ridden through rain storms and I havent been disappointed with the stock one.Thing is I like the wind and the way it feels,rain-no big deal just wipe it away all that the wind hasnt dispersed.
I'd probably appreciate hearing the radio clearer but actually the sound of my bike the wind noise all work for me.
I will caveate all that with I may not know what I'm not missing :icon_rolleyes:

srt8-in-largo
03-22-2015, 12:10 AM
Probably my own insanity, ut I have looked at a lot of the taller than stock shields and some of them look really good on this bike. But..I have taken a couple long trips on it ridden through rain storms and I havent been disappointed with the stock one.Thing is I like the wind and the way it feels,rain-no big deal just wipe it away all that the wind hasnt dispersed.
I'd probably appreciate hearing the radio clearer but actually the sound of my bike the wind noise all work for me.
I will caveate all that with I may not know what I'm not missing :icon_rolleyes:

I know what you mean... I've actually been thinking about putting the OEM shield back on the get back in the wind a little more.

terrydj
03-22-2015, 02:27 AM
I know what you mean... I've actually been thinking about putting the OEM shield back on the get back in the wind a little more.

Wind on a Motorcycle??????? what will they think of next???????? swimming and getting wet????? give me a break:icon_cool:

srt8-in-largo
03-22-2015, 05:41 PM
Me thinks Terry has been in the sun too long...

1951vbs
03-22-2015, 09:16 PM
The stock shield works great for me but I wanted the blacked out look so I went with a dark tint Cee Baileys 1/2" under stock 33,000 miles in all conditions and I wouldn't change.

terrydj
03-22-2015, 11:14 PM
Me thinks Terry has been in the sun too long...

Sun ???????
Yeah when I get out of the Air Conditioning
A Kool one today only 28 Celsius
Round 85 American Language
OH and just did a Google search?????
You do get wet when you swim :icon_cool: