PDA

View Full Version : I just don't get it !!!!

goldtahoe
07-12-2013, 09:30 AM
I know I can't be the only one with this thought however I have to make some distinction here ... I see ALLL these posts about 'BACKREST' and I can't help but think ... WHY???? I respect all riders however I have to find out the difference of riders here ... I don't wish to assume but it's getting to that point where it feels like the younger F6B riders on here don't need (or want) back rest and the older ones are in LOVE w/ these back rest. Am I correct in this assumption??? I just gotta know .. cause if there are some 35 and under riders who need (or want) driver back rest ... then let me know ... cause I gotta know!!!

I've rode the bike now for a few months here in Chicago ... and folks ABSOLUTELY are in awe of this bike and I say the word 'Backrest' and the response is HELL NO ... why do that ... blah blah ... Again, no disrespect to anyone or their riding skills ... I just wanna know if I'm the only one who feels like this?????

Deer Slayer
07-12-2013, 09:38 AM
As a long distance rider, with two lower back fusions, a back rest is the greatest thing in motorcycleism. ( new word) ?

MichaelG
07-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Am I correct in this assumption??? I just gotta know .. cause if there are some 35 and under riders who need (or want) driver back rest ... then let me know ... cause I gotta know!!!

You are NOT correct in that assumption. I am one of the older people on this forum, and I can tell you that it is up to the individual rider to make the determination of whether they want to use a backrest for the rider...not the age of the rider.:icon_wink:

GiddyupF6B
07-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Why would you be worried about what other people say or think about a backrest on YOUR BIKE?! There are a couple of options out there for backrests. If you want one then get one, if not then don't. Either way your comfort should be what's important in the end, not opinions.

Steve 0080
07-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Not sure what age has to do with comfort.....some folks like/love a back rest some don't ...thats what makes the world turn....if you are talking about passengers.....I would not have a passenger w/o a back rest...for their comfort and the fact I don't like people touching me while riding, We should be very concerned that our passengers feel safe and enjoy riding with us......the passenger back rest was an issue with my wife as she does have some back issues and the stock butt chock was not working...which prompted a new back rest riser...

FlyinF
07-12-2013, 12:25 PM
For the first 35 years of riding motorcycles I thought why the heck use a windshield when bikes are all about feeling the wind on your face. At 65 I still like the feel of wind on my face when I ride my 1975 CB750 café racer. When I rode my Wing from Texas to Alaska a windshield sure was a joy. When I travel I make a backrest out of a touring bag, its nice to lean back for a stretch.
Bottom line, whatever floats your boat.

nomercyambulance
07-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Bottom line, whatever floats your boat.

Truer words!!!

nomercyambulance
07-12-2013, 04:11 PM
I would not mind seeing what the driver back rest looks like and how it mounts.

chipmaker
07-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Not mine...

http://wingstuff.com/system/uploads/main_image/000/021/451/original.png?1366743236
:icon_doh:

Dark Knight
07-12-2013, 08:33 PM
I would have to try a backrest, because I have never tried one on a MC.

Not mine...

http://wingstuff.com/system/uploads/main_image/000/021/451/original.png?1366743236
:icon_doh:

MSGT-R
07-14-2013, 12:44 AM
Wing Stuff sells it for the stock seat.
Corbin has a slot to make it optional for their seat.
I'm sure there are others.

bob109
07-14-2013, 11:13 AM
When you get to the age where you like to ride and relax, a backrest and good adjustable foot pegs are a blessing in disguise. Currently in the processing of working on my "bucket list", I'm well beyond what others think of the appearance of my bike. If it "suits me fine" that's all that counts. There are a number of back rest options already available which includes "commercially" or "home brewed" and the number will grow with time. That is good for everyone! Years ago I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a remarkable combination backrest/travel bag. Called the Cruiser Bag it was made in Canada. Constructed of heavy PVC pipe and covered in black vinyl, it has a adjustable back rest which rolls up at the bottom to provide some lumbar support. Of any bike options I've ever purchased the CB tops the list of "money well spent":icon_wink:

The F6B will be my third "heavy cruiser" to use the Cruiser B. Secured with straps, it's on/off in less than 5 minutes. As I always ride solo it pretty much stays in place. I've had numerous inquiries about the bag/rest. Unfortunately the company who manufactured it is no longer in business. If someone could secure the patent for this item they would have a "gold mine" IMHO.

My F6B is a "Basic" so I had the dealer install the passenger bask rest. The sole reason, securing my CB.

Here's some pics of my F6B "Lazy Boy":icon_lol:

Teach
07-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Agree with what others have posted. I'd also add that the Utopia rest can be mounted with a QD backrest. When you are rolling on down the long road and want to kick back some you install it. Buzzing around town or bike nights you simply take it off for looks sake.
I don't see the use of backrests as an old rider thing, more of a comfort item, like highway pegs. 99.99% of the time you really don't use them, or need them. However on those odd rides they are just nice for kicking back. I don't have a backrest on my beemer, but I do have hwy pegs for those times I just want to stretch the legs and get a different leg position. I can tell you on a 750+ mile day my legs thank me for a few miles of change:icon_wink:.
I had NOT really given much thought to a riders backrest on the F6, but might have had I kept it. I do a lot of over the road miles and night rides where I am riding to relax. The backrest is nice for those rides.