PDA

View Full Version : So how kool is this

terrydj
03-25-2015, 01:18 AM
No idea what its like in America but here in the land down under where I live it was against the law to lane filter
Like going up between cars in the same lane?
Ahhh but now you can if the traffic is moving slowly around the 30Kph , 20Mph mark.
Ahhhh but better still a Motorcycle can now use the emergency stopping lain again when the traffic is slow, but in the emergncy stopping lane can only move at 30Kph, 20Mph
So when its all banked up????? in to the emergency stopping lane yah go and now its legal
Like yah pass a zillion cars that are all shitty and stopped and overheating and they will all hate yah
Now how good is that
WooooooHoooooo :icon_cool::icon_cool:

Fla_rider
03-25-2015, 06:08 AM
Yeah, we call that lane splitting in USA, most states it is illegal to lane split. Most will turn there heads if traffic is stopped. California allows it. Mostly illegal when traffic is moving, doesn't mean some don't do it. As far as emergency lane thats a no-no most certainly get a ticket for driving in that lane.

terrydj
03-25-2015, 06:18 AM
Yeah, we call that lane splitting in USA, most states it is illegal to lane split. Most will turn there heads if traffic is stopped. California allows it. Mostly illegal when traffic is moving, doesn't mean some don't do it. As far as emergency lane thats a no-no most certainly get a ticket for driving in that lane.

Mate in all honesty I have done it all my life.
Every set of lights I'm always up the front:yes:
And when the traffics slow on the Hi-way I'm always in the emergency lane but mostly up around the 100Kph/60Mph mark
But besides the speed limits just kooler than a rat with a gold tooth that now its legal :icon_cool:

Fla_rider
03-25-2015, 06:21 AM
I use to do it more often with my NC700, when the bags weren't on. Narrow bike make it easier. However the width of the "B" I don't usually try it. I'd rather sit back and enjoy the ride then be up front.

terrydj
03-25-2015, 06:46 AM
Same here mate
The old ST1100 was better than perfect for it

But I forgot to mention that now when the lights are Red we can use the Cyclists lane also to get to the front:yes:

Ridlikhel
03-25-2015, 09:40 AM
Tried that once before, while waiting in line at customs in Vancouver Canada. While cutting between the cars my fishing pole, which was in a case, tore off a guys rear view mirror. Thank god it was a rental. The driver kind of laughed it off and keep on going.

Wont try that again.

Ebony Deluxe
03-25-2015, 11:40 AM
Living in the SF Bay Area lane sharing is a way of life, night and day. The F6B is wide, but somehow it always makes it. Just love to see those haters in the cages scowl when we go by.

taxfree4
03-25-2015, 01:52 PM
IN the rare times I ride my Harley if I get caught I just put the flashers on, go 20 MPH in the service lane and the cops never bothered me in over 30 years, they understand it's air cooled, they ride the same bikes.

terrydj
03-25-2015, 02:57 PM
IN the rare times I ride my Harley if I get caught I just put the flashers on, go 20 MPH in the service lane and the cops never bothered me in over 30 years, they understand it's air cooled, they ride the same bikes.

:yes: And so they should
They ride Harleys
They know they break down
They know their about to break down
And and and and ???????
In Fact maybe they should call the service lane the Haley Lane :icon_laugh:

srt8-in-largo
03-25-2015, 08:30 PM
Caution, graphic fatal crash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLwDiBoZ414

terrydj
03-25-2015, 10:07 PM
Suppost that happens when you don't know how wide your bike is
I got hit by a truck once
I knew how wide my bike was but the Truckie never knew where his mirrors were :icon_laugh:

hiflyer
03-25-2015, 10:14 PM
If there is a major back up on the highway, as in stopped traffic or 5mph or so, I go to the shoulder and keep going. I've had people throw stuff at me, flip me off, etc., but there is no way I'm going to try to slow ride for long. If I get a ticket, I'll go to court and plead my case.

srt8-in-largo
03-25-2015, 10:26 PM
I lane split far more than I should. I think there's a fine line between going slow and building enough speed to get around cars quickly; if you're not fast enough your gap can close QUICKLY. Be careful.

terrydj
03-25-2015, 11:27 PM
The safest place on a road is in front of traffic
Or behind it
Never in it :icon_cool:

srt8-in-largo
03-26-2015, 12:03 AM
Just so you know, I don't post crash videos for entertainment. I find them useful to evaluate my own riding, and, when a GL1800 is involved, to see how the bike reacts.

The video above just seems odd, like the bike has a delayed reaction to the impact. It looks like the rear crashbar made contact with the car, and then was delayed before springing that rider into a high side flip. On the other hand, the forces involved in a vehicle impact are MUCH stronger than anything we are accustomed to seeing or dealing with, and not all events may seem intuitive.

What seems clear, though, is that when lane splitting, you DO NOT want to clip anything at speed with the rear crashbars.

Kurare79
03-26-2015, 12:09 AM
In germany lane splitting is also forbidden. In the neighboring countries it is allowed or tolerated.

Since the beginning of the year there is an online petition and 111.000 have signed so far. 120.000 are needed that this has to be a topic for our politicians and maybe they come up with a new law - i hope so.

On the highway when there is a traffic jam i use the emergency stopping lane. Makes me feel safer than going between the lanes with the cars and trucks.

terrydj
03-26-2015, 12:30 AM
What seems clear, though, is that when lane splitting, you DO NOT want to clip anything at speed with the rear crashbars.

What about when moving you don't want to klip anything

terrydj
03-26-2015, 12:34 AM
On the highway when there is a traffic jam i use the emergency stopping lane. Makes me feel safer than going between the lanes with the cars and trucks.

Mate exactly
Traffic is no place to be when on a bike
You just have to laugh:icon_laugh:
When yah kicking back
Cruising along in the Emergency stopping lane
And yah see bikes stopped in the traffic :icon_cool:

Ebony Deluxe
03-26-2015, 10:16 AM
https://youtu.be/joWG7L8UE-U

Check out these bozos lane splitting.

terrydj
03-26-2015, 06:27 PM
Now c'mon
Yah can't tell me you never laughed when he hit the Barrier:icon_laugh:
And looks a hell of a lot like the land down under
And a hell of a lot like the roads up here in Queensland with fools riding Sports Bikes in T-shirts
Riding/crashing on the left
Hmmmm seen a Chick in a Bikini and Flip Flops on a Blackbird once up here
Actually stayed behind her for a while just to make sure she was safe
Cause I'm such a nice Guy :icon_laugh: :icon_cool:

srt8-in-largo
03-26-2015, 07:20 PM
NORMALLY, people would stop and help... but these folks are just driving around the carnage; I think I woulda done the same.

If you're big boy enough to drive like that, you're big boy enough to pick yourself up off the pavement.

srt8-in-largo
03-26-2015, 07:23 PM
Btw, what does it take to get a motorcycle license in Oz and Germany?

Here in the states it varies. In Florida you have to take the 16 hour MSF Basic Rider course. In other places like Oregon you need nothing more than to pass a paper test.

Kurare79
03-27-2015, 12:39 AM

Today it's about 1,700 US-$. Car licence is about additional 1,500 to 2,000 US-$. I did mine for about 1,500 US-$ 17years ago, but for car + motorcycle.
Nowadays we have European Regulations and you even need a special licence if you want to pull a small trailer behind your car or drive a small truck up to 3,5 tons. I am lucky to have a licence with the old regulations and don't need that.

How much you have to pay in the US?

Limoles
03-27-2015, 12:45 AM
In N.J. - 15 min. ( pretty damn ) test , checking right answers , paying $15.00 and ready to go . It's a joke ...
That is one of many reasons , why driving on US roads can be a nightmare . Ask me , what I think about it .

Kurare79
03-27-2015, 12:50 AM
:shock: $15.00 ?! :icon_biggrin: NO! That can't be! You're kidding, aren't you?!

Limoles
03-27-2015, 01:47 AM
Before I obtained my first III category European license , I was attending school for 4 month , 3 days a week - 3 hrs. a day. Preparation for driving was provided by professional instructors , then we spent additional 40 hrs. on understanding cars in motion and practical driving on the closed to the public , especially designated roads . Actual test was at front of 3 examiners and mistakes were impossible !!! To elevate your skills to your II category for driving cars heavier than 2,5 ton , school took another 3 month of your life . To drive professionally with I class license , timing all together could take almost ONE YEAR !!! After all , cost of education and entering onto the public roads was equal to 2 - 3 monthly salary of average citizen . You could apply for motorcycle licence only after driving your own car for min. 1 year . Now you tell me , how it can be compared to skills "learned" by US drivers , who practically on the beginning contaminate these roads , than pick up their "habits" from observing others ? State to State has different rules , hidden policies and specially trained hunters for the money . Yes - Police has plenty of reasons to write the ticket for almost every "illegal" matter . Each Township has Public Court , where "Judicial Scumbags" have millions of opportunities to withdraw your money from the banking account . Revenues for the Counties and States are equal to the Wall Street thievery . That's the dirty business , like you never seen in your life . So , why to teach people to be rightful drivers , if The System is established already "so well" ? If you calculate price of each accident ( which in normal circumstances CAN BE AVOIDED ) , involvement of medical personel , flying helicopters to catch juicy materials for "daily news" ( read - drama ) , lucrative businesses of car towing , overfilled body shops and never ending delivery of new cars to the dealerships , you have an actual picture reflecting differences in methods of driving education . Some roads have 4 - 7 lanes , but only 3 cars can create unbelievable traffic congestion . You might ask me , how it's possible ? The answer is - WHO CARES ?

terrydj
03-27-2015, 02:58 AM

Here in the states it varies. In Florida you have to take the 16 hour MSF Basic Rider course. In other places like Oregon you need nothing more than to pass a paper test.

Mate where I live in the Land Down Under we have a deal called Q-ride
Basically its a crowd that teachers you to ride???

You first do the written test for a Learners then you front up at Q-Ride
They teach yah all the ins and outs and then yah end up with a License

When I did mine a zillion and 3 years ago I was in the Military at a very very small country town in Queensland

So most of my company maybe 20 or so decided to get their licence at the same tome so we all fronted up at the 2 man Cop shop
The Policeman helped us do the written part and then the actual I can ride a bike part
So we had one bike a Honda 250 owned by a bloke in my section (Sniper)

So the Cop shop is on a hill and we had to ride down the hill do a turn without putting our feet on the ground and then back to the Cop shop

So a few of us done it when the bike stops at the bottom of the hill
So we raced down and its out of petrol
So we pushes the bike back
The Cop just gives everyone a Full License
Then the mate gets on the bike turns it onto reserve and rides it back to the camp
Suppose yah just had to be their :icon_laugh::icon_laugh::icon_laugh:

The cost of a License here for 5 years car and bike around $120:icon_cool:

Kurare79
03-27-2015, 02:19 PM
@Limoles: I hear you, F6B-Buddy! http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Trinken/smilie_trink_005.gif Interesting point of view. I am with you. :yes:

@TerryDj: Funny story! :icon_mrgreen:

srt8-in-largo
03-27-2015, 05:31 PM
Europe, particularly Germany, seem very serious about driver training... on the one hand I admire that, on the other hand I would not enjoy the expense or time involved!

Yes Karim, licensing fees are commonly insignificant in the US; so insignificant that I don't even remember what I pay :icon_biggrin:

Limoles, I agree about the terrible thing of "law enforcement to generate revenue"; I think it's far worse in the northeast like New Jersey and Maryland than in other states. Here in Florida I was pulled over doing 20 mph over the speed limit, and the cop only wanted to remind me that I shouldn't be talking on my cell phone; no ticket; have a nice day :icon_biggrin:

edgeman55
03-27-2015, 09:05 PM
My work commute was from Santa Rosa to San Francisco about 60 miles or so and when I rode my full dress Wings in the day. I lane split all the time for the 30+ years I worked in California.Had a couple of close calls but never hit anyone.Now that I live in Northern Nevada I found out really fast you do not lane split here.Nevada State troopers give no leway and you will get a ticket-so if you travel in Nevada you have been warned.