PDA

View Full Version : Question about cleaning F6b ?

wantone
03-27-2015, 01:05 PM
Well It looks like it time to give a first wash. I heard about paint issues, so haven't washed my bike since I bought it 8 months ago. I'm afraid so will be taking it to auto detail place.

Now the question is what materials and stuff I shud take with me ? I read few threads here about Liquid glass and waxes. And how many layers shud I tell them to apply.

Is this liquid glass stuff one time thing or I'll have to use it all the time and where can I buy it ?

Any specific instructions that I shud give them ?

Thanks

stroguy
03-27-2015, 01:15 PM
I never hose my motorcycles. Bucket with car wash, bucket with clean water. Add microfiber rags to the car wash bucket and to the clean water. Wring the rags like you would wring your kids neck if he were to get the next door neighbors daughter pregnant. Wipe the bike in sections, then wipe with clean water rags. If water gets dirty, empty the bucket and start over. Hit overwet areas with a compressed air source if possible. Finish off with a detailer or something designed for finishing matte finished paint. Detail with protectants of your choice. Bikes are cheap to wash compared to a car. I am not a big fan of flooding the nooks and crannies of motorcycles. But, I see it done all the time with no issues.

Vol1chuck
03-27-2015, 01:47 PM
I've washed my several times without any issues at all. 2013 red. I use a hose, bucket, autowash w/hot water and a microfiber cloth. Applied a coat of liquid glass after my post-Daytona bath.

bobbyf6b
03-27-2015, 01:49 PM
I got my Liquid Glass cleaning and polishing kit on Amazon. I couldn't find it locally. I use a hose and bucket for the soap. I ride it in the rain so it can handle water, but I don't focus a heavy stream in one area. A soft spray gets all the soap off. I've been really happy with the LG products.

wantone
03-27-2015, 02:15 PM
So ur telling me first wash the bike, dry and apply several coats of liquid glass, right ? Now is there a certain way that it has to applied ? I need all the info and directions so that I can pass it on to the Detailing place I'm taking it to.

Thanks

Vol1chuck
03-27-2015, 02:27 PM
Liquid Glass says to be applied in straight lines, no circles. Let dry to haze and remove. Easy stuff to use. It also warns that a little color may appear on rag (oxidation) and is normal.

bobbyf6b
03-27-2015, 03:43 PM
Liquid Glass says to be applied in straight lines, no circles. Let dry to haze and remove. Easy stuff to use. It also warns that a little color may appear on rag (oxidation) and is normal.

+1. Directions are on all bottles.

Don't be scared of the Liquid Glass. I was until I used it. It's a thick liquid that goes on like a wax but in straight lines. Wait for it to dry and buff off with a microfiber towel. Takes almost no effort and it will shine like you put on a clear coat. The more layers, the better it looks.

JackB
03-27-2015, 04:09 PM
I'm sorry but if you didn't wash your brand new bike for 8 months why are you worried about it now. As soon as I got mine I wash and waxed it with Liqiud Glass and a few days later I did it again. I hope your paint is ok after 8 months of riding.

srt8-in-largo
03-27-2015, 10:18 PM
Should be fine.

I'm under the impression that the problem was lack of clearcoat. Not sure if that's true or not, but worth mentioning to your detailer... if there's no clearcoat he'll want to be gentler on the paint if he does any buffing.

Steve 0080
03-27-2015, 10:25 PM

+1...apply as stated...push into the sun for an hour...bring back to shade...remove and be amazed !!!

BobinMich
03-27-2015, 10:38 PM
Before I rode my black F6b a couple weeks ago (brand new), I washed by hand, dried with chamois and applied liquid glass. next day, more liquid glass. Pretty damn good stuff! will wash again on next nice day and apply MORE liquid glass....thinking of putting at least 5 applications of LG to insure a nice paint! so far, so good!

Dirtstiff's F6B
03-28-2015, 10:15 AM
A can and a half of LG and many, many black carnauba coats in between and my paint looks and is holding up as it should. Wax on, wax...

cosborn
03-28-2015, 02:10 PM
I simply use a microfibre cloth and a good quality detergent and i don't spray the bike with water just simply wash it off.
I'm also using Liquid Glass, currently have about 4 layers, all seems to be working fine on my black beauty.

Chris

grendl
03-29-2015, 12:13 AM
A can and a half of LG and many, many black carnauba coats in between and my paint looks and is holding up as it should. Wax on, wax...

Your bike is beautiful. The black has a deep lustrous shine,very nice. I like the effect that you have on the bottom of the saddle bags ..Are you using liquid glass on the matte parts also?

cosborn
03-30-2015, 02:14 PM
Sorry guys, I've just copied this from a recent post but i think it's relevant.

I use Liquid Glass, I tend to leave it on for about an hour before polishing it off but i don't know if it makes any real difference. currently got about 4 coats on.

I don't use the pre cleaner between coats and i only wash the bike with a microfibre cloth and a quality detergent when it gets dirty. My bike is black and really, i haven't had a great problem with the paint. Black is a great colour but shows up every mark, as my paint guy says, 'the colour we love to hate'

I use a microfibre cloth to put the polish on, and another to take it off,

Cheers and best

Chris

crankshaft40
03-30-2015, 10:58 PM
Glare professional car polish works wonders, I have used it on all my bikes.