PDA

View Full Version : best polish and wax

Smallyy
07-13-2013, 05:54 PM
I have tried different swirl removers ect and found them to not remove imperfections only hide them. I have found that Meguires Ultimate Compound after a few applications will remove paint defects and leave a great finish that i then go over with Turtle Wax Black Box products that brings the black paint to perfection. If you are like me you would have avoided the Meguires Ultimate Compound fearing it would be to harsh. It is not, very impressed with both products. I am now finally in control of and loving the black paint. :biggthumpup:

Steve 0080
07-13-2013, 06:22 PM
ummmm........ as the collection grows....

F6B-RICH
07-13-2013, 07:39 PM
I am using the Turtle Wax Black Box only with good results might give the compound a try Thanks :thumb:

Teach
07-13-2013, 09:22 PM
Well I think everyone knows I'm a huge fan for the use of Liquid Glass. So if you like waxing and detailing use whatever you find gives results. If you'd rather wax once a year, use the LG. JMO

glryder98
07-13-2013, 10:06 PM
I am also a lover of Liquid Glass. I used Meguire's Scratch X and it removed all the swirl marks. A lot of work but worth it.

bob109
07-14-2013, 06:12 AM
I am also a lover of Liquid Glass. I used Meguire's Scratch X and it removed all the swirl marks. A lot of work but worth it.

Been using Liquid Glass Polish for years. IMHO it is one of the finest finishes you can apply to any automotive/cycle painted surface. LG actually contains no Silicones or Waxes. It is a Hydrocarbon/Polymer liquid which is easy on/easy off. So durable is the applied finish that
should it have to be removed for painting you must use 00 steel wool and mineral spirits or Varsol:shock: That's is one tough finish:icon_wink:

glryder98
07-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Another plus for Liquid Glass is that it doesn't leave any white film on the flat black parts or the dimpled areas. You can also apply it in the sun if you want.

bob109
07-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Another plus for Liquid Glass is that it doesn't leave any white film on the flat black parts or the dimpled areas. You can also apply it in the sun if you want.

I agree about the LG on the flat black parts. Even better, dampen a small rag with good old ArmorAll Tire Foam and apply two coats to all black body panel surfaces. Let it dry between coats. After the second coat is dry use a soft terry cloth towel to remove any residue. The sheen on the black surfaces is unbelieveable:icon_wink: Touch-up is easy and it can be removed with a good washing:icon_biggrin:

Limbuck
07-16-2013, 12:14 PM

Amen on getting on the non-painted parts. I'm a little sloppy, heck crazy sloppy, and LG cleans up well and I'm very happy with paint protection. I'll give you credit for that TEACH. Thanks. Coat two of LG going on tonight. Bike ain't moving again untill I have at least 4 coats.

watertowerman
02-16-2014, 07:44 AM
I have 5 coats on now, It is winter and can't ride away, should I put on 3-5 more coats? Does it hurt anything?

Paul B Blues
02-16-2014, 07:58 AM
I can't get Liquid Glass over here in the UK, I've been searching. Is there an alternative? I still haven't got my bike yet, but when it does get here I'll be ready....'all/right'

dickiedeals
02-16-2014, 08:30 AM
I can't get Liquid Glass over here in the UK, I've been searching. Is there an alternative? I still haven't got my bike yet, but when it does get here I'll be ready....'all/right'

You don't have internet in the UK? I get mine off the net. Do a Yahoo search or Google. In fact I got my last can from somewhere in the UK. Price and shipping was less than local.......................Dickie

Paul B Blues
02-16-2014, 09:03 AM
You don't have internet in the UK? I get mine off the net. Do a Yahoo search or Google. In fact I got my last can from somewhere in the UK. Price and shipping was less than local.......................Dickie

Is this the same stuff that everyone is using? 4036 If it is Dickie can you point me in the direction as to where you got it in the UK. :yes:

buefchris
02-16-2014, 01:32 PM
lemon pledge ,a quick wipe, done.

dickiedeals
02-16-2014, 05:57 PM
Is this the same stuff that everyone is using? 4036 If it is Dickie can you point me in the direction as to where you got it in the UK. :yes:

Denny's Auto Parts on eBay Ships world wide. a 16oz Can ships for about 20 bucks US and you get a free Micro towel and applicator.Dickie

stepbill
02-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Not sure who uses one but I also highly recommend using a clay bar prior to waxing. You will not believe how smooth your finish is after your are done!

db24
02-16-2014, 10:32 PM
Auto Zone sells the Miracle Glass. If you use Maguair's Scratch X 2.0 first, your black paint will look better than it did when you left the dealership.

Paul B Blues
02-18-2014, 04:37 AM
Denny's Auto Parts on eBay Ships world wide. a 16oz Can ships for about 20 bucks US and you get a free Micro towel and applicator.Dickie

Cheers mate 'all/right'

dickiedeals
02-18-2014, 09:41 AM
Cheers mate 'all/right'

Did you get the Liquid Glass? If not, PM me your address and email.. I'll send you a bill and a can of Liquid Glass.............Dickie

Paul B Blues
02-18-2014, 09:53 AM
Did you get the Liquid Glass? If not, PM me your address and email.. I'll send you a bill and a can of Liquid Glass.............Dickie

Hi Dickie,

Yes I got a friend of mine in VA to get me some, and it's on the way. Thanks a million for your help. :8:

hiflyer
02-22-2014, 02:02 AM
More often than not, I fail to read the fine print on a product. However, this go around I did read the back of the LIQUID GLASS can and it says that it can be used on polycarbonate (windshield plastic), so with the new clear Madstad I installed, I gave it the LG treatment. Wow, does that thing look good. Especially since I applied it before any scratches or swirls. I have three coats on the bike, one on the screen, with plans of doing a total of 5. Then its out in the sun this weekend for a bake job. I have to say the paint looks better than ever. Very pleased with the product.

Paul B Blues
02-22-2014, 06:42 AM
More often than not, I fail to read the fine print on a product. However, this go around I did read the back of the LIQUID GLASS can and it says that it can be used on polycarbonate (windshield plastic), so with the new clear Madstad I installed, I gave it the LG treatment. Wow, does that thing look good. Especially since I applied it before any scratches or swirls. I have three coats on the bike, one on the screen, with plans of doing a total of 5. Then its out in the sun this weekend for a bake job. I have to say the paint looks better than ever. Very pleased with the product.

Excellent news. Thanks for sharing "KiltSmiley"

hiflyer
02-22-2014, 04:58 PM
I only got 3 coats of LG on before I had to go on a "bake" ride. 70 degrees in OKC today boys and girls.

Steve 0080
02-23-2014, 05:59 PM
+1 on the LG…two coats on the bike…headed to the trailer !!!!

Richie
02-25-2014, 11:01 AM
Does anyone use the LC prewash, or do you just use the LC as is?

Richie

hiflyer
02-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Does anyone use the LC prewash, or do you just use the LC as is?

Richie

Unless you've got something funky on it, just go for it. I did with excellent results.

Elin in So. Cal.
02-26-2014, 03:47 PM
Can one use Liquid Glass over any wax that has been put on previously? Or does it need to go on a wax-stripped bike?
I am facing a pressing deadline on my Las Vegas trip, and I need to at least wax the front end before I go.

And what's the difference between Liquid Glass and Miracle Glass--are they similar?

bob109
02-26-2014, 05:43 PM
Can one use Liquid Glass over any wax that has been put on previously? Or does it need to go on a wax-stripped bike?
I am facing a pressing deadline on my Las Vegas trip, and I need to at least wax the front end before I go.

And what's the difference between Liquid Glass and Miracle Glass--are they similar?

A quick prep trick for Liquid Glass is to clean the painted surface with a 50/50 mix of Ammonia and water. That will usually remove any prior wax residue. Use a soft Terry Cloth Towel for the process. Follow the can directions and you will have a hard shell finish on your treated surfaces.

Paul B Blues
03-12-2014, 06:04 AM
Well here it is, just arrived in the post. I just need a bike to put it on 'all/right'

projectapollo
03-12-2014, 07:48 AM
I just put coat #5 of liquid glass on my black 6. Looking pretty good.

Paul B Blues
03-12-2014, 11:03 AM
I just put coat #5 of liquid glass on my black 6. Looking pretty good.

It's a small can, and I have two pads to apply it with, I take it it goes on easily like a thin varnish. :wheelchair wheelie:

bob109
03-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Well here it is, just arrived in the post. I just need a bike to put it on 'all/right'

Paul:

You are now in possession of the finest and hardest finish product available for painted surfaces. Make sure you shake the dickens out of the can before using the LG. The ingredients, whatever it consists of, tend to settle at the bottom of the can. Keep us posted on your results once you get your bike back.

P.S. No circular motion of cloth or pad during application! Wipe on, let haze! Wipe off!

Bob

Paul B Blues
03-12-2014, 02:54 PM
Paul:

You are now in possession of the finest and hardest finish product available for painted surfaces. Make sure you shake the dickens out of the can before using the LG. The ingredients, whatever it consists of, tend to settle at the bottom of the can. Keep us posted on your results once you get your bike back.

P.S. No circular motion of cloth or pad during application! Wipe on, let haze! Wipe off!

Bob

Cheers Bob,

Thanks for the tip. Bike is here on Sat "Fingers Crossed" so I'll get started on it once I've had a good run out, and washed it again :yes:

Teach
03-14-2014, 08:02 PM
Well I'm glad to see so many folks are happy with the suggestion to use LG. Just a follow up but the more coats applied the better the shine becomes and eventually all the paint defects will disappear. As someone pointed out just make sure you have all the bugs and stuff off before applying or you'll seal them under the LG and it gets REALLY tough to get that corrected. Any scuffs or scratches will be limited to the LG coatings, so applying a new coat will make those disappear.
Again glad it is working out so well for everyone.

For the record my local dealer, OffRoad Express in Erie PA has a black standard and my red deluxe for sale. Someone looking for a GREAT buy might want to give them a buzz. Tell them Tim recommended them and they'll hook you up. For whatever reason they just aren't selling F6's in my town. Weird rider base I guess.

hiflyer
03-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Paul:

Bob

I'm somewhat obsessive/compulsive. I have almost used the entire can. I come from the "if a little is good, then a lot is gooder" school.

ghostrider
04-07-2014, 12:45 PM
I just got done using liquid glass on the back part of my bike this weekend. Seems like worst part of my bike was the saddle bag area.

After applying 3 coats, I’m pretty pleased with the results. It instantly felt smoother after even the first coat, after the third I even noticed some of the swirling going away. It feels as smooth as it should of in the first place if it had a good quality paint job. The true test is when I go to wax it and I don’t end up with red on my wax pad. Then I’ll be a happy camper!! I’ll be putting on more coats probably and doing the rest of the bike for sure.

It’s great to be able to solve some of the little irritations on this bike. Next onto solving the hesitation with the NGK plugs. That would really make my day!!

Thanks for everybody’s recommendation. This is a great forum.

Paul B Blues
04-08-2014, 10:28 AM
I just got done using liquid glass on the back part of my bike this weekend. Seems like worst part of my bike was the saddle bag area.

After applying 3 coats, I’m pretty pleased with the results. It instantly felt smoother after even the first coat, after the third I even noticed some of the swirling going away. It feels as smooth as it should of in the first place if it had a good quality paint job. The true test is when I go to wax it and I don’t end up with red on my wax pad. Then I’ll be a happy camper!! I’ll be putting on more coats probably and doing the rest of the bike for sure.

It’s great to be able to solve some of the little irritations on this bike. Next onto solving the hesitation with the NGK plugs. That would really make my day!!

Thanks for everybody’s recommendation. This is a great forum.

Thanks for that, it's still way to cold to even think about putting it on my bike, it would still be wet!!! Good to hear that it's working out for you. I am encouraged.

SHOCKER7718
04-10-2014, 10:07 AM

So you just used the Maguair's Scratch X 2.0 first than apply several coats of Liquid Glass Ultimate Polish / Finish?

SHOCKER7718
04-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Paul:

Bob

which product should i use first the Liquid Glass Pre-Cleaner or Meguiars ScratchX Scratch Remover 2.0
than use Liquid Glass Ultimate Polish / Finish?

bob109
04-10-2014, 10:36 AM
which product should i use first the Liquid Glass Pre-Cleaner or Meguiars ScratchX Scratch Remover 2.0
than use Liquid Glass Ultimate Polish / Finish?

I would use the LG Pre-Cleaner first! Whenever I've done any of my vehicles with LG, I first used a mix of 50/50 water and Ammonia to clean all surfaces. That concoction removes any wax residue, bugs and general road grime and does a great job, IMHO, of prepping for the LG. That includes the windshield which gets as many coats of LG as the painted surfaces!

choptop
04-17-2014, 07:11 PM
6 has been gathering dust in the garage , for (2) bike payments now, as I did mods and wait for the never ending Wi winter to go away. This weekend I plan to do a clean up/detail & wax. I will go w/ the 50% ammonia water recommendation. then go over it w/Meguiars X2.0 fine scratch stuff and then use the Liquid Gold.

My question is do you guys have any favorite applicator for the liquid gold or any preferred micro fiber cloths ? Thanks in advance.

Fla_rider
04-17-2014, 08:07 PM
Couldn't find LG, salesman sold me TR3 seems good?

bob109
04-18-2014, 01:54 AM
6 has been gathering dust in the garage , for (2) bike payments now, as I did mods and wait for the never ending Wi winter to go away. This weekend I plan to do a clean up/detail & wax. I will go w/ the 50% ammonia water recommendation. then go over it w/Meguiars X2.0 fine scratch stuff and then use the Liquid Gold.

My question is do you guys have any favorite applicator for the liquid gold or any preferred micro fiber cloths ? Thanks in advance.

Any micro-fiber cloth will do! Make sure you follow the application directions. Wipe on/wipe off. Do not use any circular motion when applying the LG. When it hazes, it's ready for removal. IMHO, a supper soft cotton towel works best for haze removal. Make sure you allpy the same number of coats to the windshield/painted surfaces:icon_wink:

Fla_rider
04-19-2014, 07:11 PM
In Tampa still, found LG at advanced auto parts. Had a 30% on line coupon. Put first coat on, what a difference! I'll tell you what, it's slicker than a hot iron on a pair or polyester slacks from the 70's.:yikes:

Tomorrow we ride back to Weston, ordered my baggershield from Pearson!

Happy Easter everyone from Florida! For you Yankees that means let riding season start!

Slingah
04-19-2014, 07:34 PM
I got my Liquid Glass today from Amazon. Going start to apply tomorrow.
Thanks for the tip.

bobbyf6b
04-20-2014, 10:16 PM
I just ordered a Liquid Glass kit from ebay. Here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190560866373&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1120#ht_1886wt_956

Slingah
04-21-2014, 09:48 AM
I got my Liquid Glass today from Amazon. Going start to apply tomorrow.
Thanks for the tip.

Did 4 coats. Not perfect but looks plenty good enough for me. Feels like a finish was "built up" and some protection was achieved. No paint came off on the rag while applying. My paint looked pretty good to begin with and minor flaws don't bother me so this a great solution for no clearcoat.
Baking in the sun now for a few hours then going for a ride.
Thanks again for the tip. Nice product.

Fla_rider
04-21-2014, 08:54 PM
Did 4 coats. Not perfect but looks plenty good enough for me. Feels like a finish was "built up" and some protection was achieved. No paint came off on the rag while applying. My paint looked pretty good to begin with and minor flaws don't bother me so this a great solution for no clearcoat.
Baking in the sun now for a few hours then going for a ride.
Thanks again for the tip. Nice product.

Come on Slingah we know that's not good old Mass. Beach!:moon:

BACA
04-22-2014, 12:17 AM
Baking in the sun after application........is it necessary? Curious is all.......

It's raining here and no sun in sight! :rainyday:

Paul B Blues
04-22-2014, 02:41 AM
Baking in the sun after application........is it necessary? Curious is all.......

It's raining here and no sun in sight! :rainyday:

I have the same problem, no real sun in sight for a while 'windy'

choptop
04-22-2014, 04:00 AM
Took the 6 over to my body man buddy lasy night to have him look at a few spots including were I removed the "Honda" lettering, to my surprise he took the time to take care of them for me, looks so much better. Now for the Liquid Glass treatment.

Slingah
04-22-2014, 05:37 AM
Come on Slingah we know that's not good old Mass. Beach!:moon:

Say wha???:shock:in my avatar? That is Rexhame Beach Marshfield MA. :yes:

bobbyf6b
04-22-2014, 10:02 AM
Maaahshfield :icon_wink:

Slingah
04-22-2014, 06:47 PM
Maaahshfield :icon_wink:

:biggthumpup:

choptop
05-07-2014, 03:06 AM
Washed the bike yesterday w/the Liquid Gold wash, thought it looked pretty good till I got it in the garage last night and put a bright light on the fairing in preparation for the first coat of Liquid Gold. For a basically new bike w/less than 3,000 miles on it. the small scratched and swirls were pathetic. I wanted to kick some Honda exec square in the nuts. Will keep the bright lights off of it and put more coats of Liquid Gold on it.

dickiedeals
05-07-2014, 04:49 AM
Washed the bike yesterday w/the Liquid Gold wash, thought it looked pretty good till I got it in the garage last night and put a bright light on the fairing in preparation for the first coat of Liquid Gold. For a basically new bike w/less than 3,000 miles on it. the small scratched and swirls were pathetic. I wanted to kick some Honda exec square in the nuts. Will keep the bright lights off of it and put more coats of Liquid Gold on it.

I would suggest using Liquid Glass instead of Liquid Gold. Big difference in finish. Don't use the rag in circles like you would wax use back and forth movement. 3 coats of liquid glass will help that crap paint greatly. (Liquid Gold is furniture polish) :039:...................Dickie

luckyluciano
05-07-2014, 07:24 AM
Opticoat and Wolfgang paint sealant are the best IMHO and many enthusiasts .

choptop
05-07-2014, 06:12 PM
I would suggest using Liquid Glass instead of Liquid Gold. Big difference in finish. Don't use the rag in circles like you would wax use back and forth movement. 3 coats of liquid glass will help that crap paint greatly. (Liquid Gold is furniture polish) :039:...................Dickie

Sorry, dickslexic, meant to say Liquid Glass. :icon_biggrin:

srt8-in-largo
07-13-2014, 10:32 PM
Nothing but professional grade Meguiars will do for proper paint correction IMO. It's SMAT technology therefore work it as long or as short as you want, using hand or machine as needed. These products are extremely easy to work with and are extremely effective.

M205 is light-to-medium on the abrasion aggressiveness scale. Excellent for removing swirls and light scratches in between washes.

M105 is high on the abrasion aggressiveness scale. This is actually the most aggressive polish Meguiars makes; use only occassionally and only as needed for deeper scratches or hard paint.

Once the paint is correct, THEN apply LG or whatever protectant you wish. I've been using the Opticoat 2.0... which is essentially the same stuff as OEM clearcoat.

srt8-in-largo
07-13-2014, 10:38 PM
Don't bother with waxes IMO, unless you just like to labor. The POLISH is what brings the shine... not wax.

Once your paint is properly corrected and shining brilliantly, use the LG or OC to seal it up. Done. Repeat next year.

99m3
07-14-2014, 08:45 PM
Zaino

DaWadd
07-15-2014, 05:07 AM
Klasse automotive polish works really good. Lasts for 6 months or longer. Can't find any Liquid Glass in my neck of the woods.

CheckpointChcky
07-15-2014, 02:17 PM
Have any of you used Glare? I personally feel that it works better than Liquid Glass as I have used both.

srt8-in-largo
07-15-2014, 07:45 PM
http://www.glare.com/

Never heard of it... the marketing material looks pretty good though. It'd be nice to have ONE product that polishes AND seals.

CheckpointChcky
07-15-2014, 08:51 PM
I love the finish.....better than Liquid Glass as far as I'm concerned.