PDA

View Full Version : F6B Dark Side Riders

bob109
07-14-2013, 08:22 AM
Curious as to how many of you are DS Riders? What bike/bikes you have a CT mounted to, brand of tire, tire size and air pressure (sweet spot) you are running?

I'll start with my current and previous bikes.

2013 F6B General G-MAX 195/55-R16 40psi

2008 Yamaha RSTD Federal 165/80-R15 34psi

2007 Yahama Stratoliner Goodyear Assurance TT 215/60-R17 32psi

glryder98
07-14-2013, 12:43 PM
I just installed a Michelin Pilot 195/55/16 on the F6 and let me tell you I'll never go back to a motorcycle tire again! The feeling of stability in a straight line is unbelieveable, cornering is no problem at all and in the rain the stopping traction is beyond compare. Yes I'll tell the world I AM A DARKSIDER !!!!!

fast eddie
07-14-2013, 07:57 PM
I was a darksider on my 1800 vtx:icon_rolleyes: put about 15,000 on it a little over a yr of riding :icon_cool: but went back to the mc tire( cant rember what I put on but it was what most of the vtx riders were using). The ct was just not for me ride a couple of construction zones an wow wake up call:icon_redface:. Rode the dragon with it just not comfortable went back a yr later with my wife as a passenger with a mc tire felt like valentio rossie :lolup: ok maybe not valentino but felt a lot more controllable a lot of riders tried it an liked it i'm just not 1 of them.:bs:

timjoebob
07-14-2013, 08:53 PM
See my signature. I'll go to the darkside again when the rear shows enough wear.

Steve 0080
07-14-2013, 09:44 PM
I did have a Bridgestone on my Valk, no issues, great in the rain...not sure about the F6B going forward... and no I can remember the size...190-16 maybe

bobbyf6b
07-14-2013, 10:46 PM
I'm curious on the pros/cons of run flat tires.

mtcgun
07-17-2013, 09:20 PM
I have a goodyear on my Valk. I have the Michelin Alpin mounted for the F6B, just havent put on the bike yet.

Teach
07-19-2013, 07:15 AM
bobbyf6b, WEIGHT!!! Other than the weight there are no real concerns not associated with other DS tires. You NEED to keep wheel and tire weight as close to stock as possible. Run Flats are usually heavier than a traditional tire. Hope that helps you......

Teach
07-19-2013, 07:35 AM
I thought some of you considering DS might find this interesting: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=180-60r16-195-55r16

You can type in whatever tire size you are considering and get a comparison.

For the record I ran a Bridgestone Potenza 195/55R-16 on my Vision when I had it DS. Same size rear tire as a Goldwing. Some guys ran the 185/55R-16 even though it was a little shorter. It offered a little better sidewall clearance if running a hitch.

bob109
07-19-2013, 12:53 PM
I thought some of you considering DS might find this interesting: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=180-60r16-195-55r16

You can type in whatever tire size you are considering and get a comparison.

For the record I ran a Bridgestone Potenza 195/55R-16 on my Vision when I had it DS. Same size rear tire as a Goldwing. Some guys ran the 185/55R-16 even though it was a little shorter. It offered a little better sidewall clearance if running a hitch.

Teach:

Thanks for the great info. The calculator tool should make tire selection much easier!

Bob

Teach
07-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Glad I could help........

mike neal
07-24-2013, 09:15 AM
Just put on the Hankook H426 Optimo 195/60-16 on my brothers bike and will do likewise with mine as soon as this OEM Bridgestone wears down. We used the Hankook tires on the ST1300 and really liked rounded edges. Tried the Goodyear but it had a really square footprint. Anyway back to the Hankook. Right now at 44 psi with full luggage and really hard riding. Unbelievable wet traction and great contact patch in hard FAST sweepers. This tire should get +25k miles of hard use before replacement.

Just a personal note....I have used the CT on a number of bikes and would not go back to a MC tire on the rear if you gave them to me for free.

RoughRider
07-30-2013, 03:15 PM
The vast majority of what I read about CT's are good reviews. especially if you're going straight down a road, But how does a rear CT perform through twisty curves as compared the MT which is much more rounder? Better control with a MT or what. Is it harder to lean the bike with a CT? Seems to me a round tire would have more rubber contact which equals better grip compared to a CT..or am I wrong?

Scotrod
07-30-2013, 03:25 PM
No matter what bike ya ride, (except perhaps a Sport bike) there will always be these MT / CT discussions. I've done both and prefer the MT.
More of a 'what's right for you' thing than a 'right' or 'wrong' subject.
Lots of Wing riders run CT's. They should be able to provide assistance in this search.

kjelders
07-30-2013, 09:02 PM
On my 03 VTX1800R I had a Michelin HydroEdge 205/65/16
When the stock wears out on the F6B, I will be putting the Kumho RF 195/55/16 that I just put on my 07 Wing. It has about 7,000 miles on it.

bobbyf6b
07-30-2013, 10:03 PM
On my 03 VTX1800R I had a Michelin HydroEdge 205/65/16
When the stock wears out on the F6B, I will be putting the Kumho RF 195/55/16 that I just put on my 07 Wing. It has about 7,000 miles on it.

Lots of video on YouTube of motorcycles tearing up the asphalt with CT's. Here's one of the tire you mentioned. Is it you? I will be seriously thinking about replacing my stock tire with a CT when it wears out.

http://youtu.be/qoNDo7o1d6Q

bobbyf6b
07-30-2013, 10:11 PM
http://youtu.be/PZ_d5IIdRZI

Stroked99
09-22-2013, 03:31 PM
The vast majority of what I read about CT's are good reviews. especially if you're going straight down a road, But how does a rear CT perform through twisty curves as compared the MT which is much more rounder? Better control with a MT or what. Is it harder to lean the bike with a CT? Seems to me a round tire would have more rubber contact which equals better grip compared to a CT..or am I wrong?

I just read this, it may provide some insight from the tire and motorcycle industry:

http://www.ridermagazine.com/browse-by-type/tires/tales-from-the-dark-side-putting-car-tires-on-motorcycles.htm/

I'm considering adding the F6B to my current collection of one motorcycle, but will more than likely stay on MTs when the time comes to replace tires. Those touring tires will seem like they last forever compared to the tire life I'm used to getting on my Hayabusa over the years. Looking forward to having the "sport" Goldwing.

bobbyf6b
09-22-2013, 05:02 PM
I just read this, it may provide some insight from the tire and motorcycle industry:

http://www.ridermagazine.com/browse-by-type/tires/tales-from-the-dark-side-putting-car-tires-on-motorcycles.htm/

I'm considering adding the F6B to my current collection of one motorcycle, but will more than likely stay on MTs when the time comes to replace tires. Those touring tires will seem like they last forever compared to the tire life I'm used to getting on my Hayabusa over the years. Looking forward to having the "sport" Goldwing.

My favorite quote from that page:

I’ve been riding with a car tire for over 2 years with over 15,000 miles, rode twisties from Arkansas to West Virginia. I have worked in manufacturing for 25 years. One thing I’ve learned is that there are alot of technical, scientific or safety related reasons something should not work but you try it and it just does, I’d like to see instead of you telling us it should not work, do some actual riding/testing and prove it will not work.

bobbyf6b
09-22-2013, 05:12 PM
They always show the MT leaning over and sticking to the road. When you lean on a CT it flexes and you actually end up with more rubber on the ground than a MT. After over 20 years of off-roading and seeing what tires can endure I wouldn't think twice about putting a CT on my motorcycle. When off-roading and rock crawling, we lower our tire pressure to 10 psi and below so the tires will wrap around rocks. I've run the same tires for years, lowering and raising tire pressures sometimes weekly. CT's are flexible.

It's not a right or wrong issue, it's a choice. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside that we have a choice to do things that buck the norm. Isn't FREEDOM awesome? :icon_cool:

Freak
09-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Put 70,000 miles on car tires on my 2008 wing and once the rear is done on the f6 I will be installing a car tire. :yes:

bob109
09-22-2013, 08:35 PM
Put 70,000 miles on car tires on my 2008 wing and once the rear is done on the f6 I will be installing a car tire. :yes:

What was your favorite tire? What kind of mileage were you getting per tire?

Scotrod
09-22-2013, 10:43 PM
It's not a right or wrong issue, it's a choice. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside that we have a choice to do things that buck the norm. Isn't FREEDOM awesome? :icon_cool:

If it makes ya smile, it can't be ALL bad!!!! :yes:

Freak
09-23-2013, 07:31 PM
What was your favorite tire? What kind of mileage were you getting per tire?

I liked the kumho run flat the best. Tried the falken non runflat did not like it.
I got between 15000 and 17000
Most of my riding is aggressive back road riding. , edges wear out :)
I like the feel of the runflat the best.
I have 7000 miles on my motorcycle tire now and it's pretty much junk.

Mustangjake
09-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Kumho Ecsta SPT XRP 195/55R16 is 25 lbs
General Altimax HP 195/55R16 is 18 lbs. This is what I am running.

Freak
09-24-2013, 06:49 PM
I also tried a Pirelli euforia runflat and liked that as well.

Hornblower
11-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Yesterday, I added my name to the Darksider's roster. I am officially Darkside #1506. This isn't my first foray into running a CT on the rear. My Triumph Rocket III had one and I remembered liking it a lot. I had forgotten, however, exactly what it felt like. Ah, it all comes back to me now...the feel is definitely different from a MT. I guess I would describe the difference as being more "intentional". The bike will travel in a straight line unless I "intentionally" turn it. To me, this doesn't correspond to "manhandling" but there is a noticeable input required to turn. Personally, I don't find this objectionable but rather, it's something to acclimate to. After a short time, it all feels normal again. Oh yeah, and thanks DeerSlayer for your help in putting this one on. The Kumho RF is a bit on the heavy side and it sure was nice to have some help.

Big Dawg
11-08-2013, 11:08 AM
I offer you a simple challenge to prove that the contact patch is much larger on a car tire than it is a M/C. If you can find someone who has a C/T on their bike, then it is easy to make a foot print of the tire. Here's an easy method.

1st cut about a dozen strips of paper about 4 inches long and an inch wide. With the bike on the side stand, slip the pieces of paper under the tire as if they were a feeler gauge, place them side by side, in a fan pattern around the contact patch. Once you have them in place, just tape them all together. Roll the bike away and now you have a view of the size of the contact patch. Repeat the same process with a like model motorcycle with a M/C tire and you will be able to compare the difference. Be prepared to be shocked! the C/T patch is 2 or 3 times bigger! Not to mention when the bike is straight up, the patch is 10 times bigger. You have the whole width of the C/T on the ground and with the bike tire, you have a 50 cent sized patch on the road. Ask yourself, which one will stop the quickest? Not to mention, there is a taller sidewall on the car tire which equates to a little more sidewall flex that produces a softer ride, I can go on and on but that is several reasons why I like them. Better dry and wet grip, longer tire life, smoother ride, shorter stopping distance, and cheaper.

Deer Slayer
11-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Welcome 1506 Hornblower. Glad to help ya.. Enjoy. I am now on my third Gl1800 with a Mean Ass Motorcycle Tire (Car Tire) and over 80 K on them.

Scotrod
11-08-2013, 01:22 PM
I offer you a simple challenge to prove that the contact patch is much larger on a car tire than it is a M/C. .

Easier still to just ride through a very shallow puddle and compare the tracks, both straight line and cornering. :icon_biggrin:

Even so, the contact patch on my MT does everything I need it to do. :iduno:

I'm tickled, you're tickled, we're all tickled!! :icon_biggrin:

1951vbs
11-08-2013, 03:04 PM
Be prepared to be shocked! the C/T patch is 2 or 3 times bigger! Not to mention when the bike is straight up, the patch is 10 times bigger. You have the whole width of the C/T on the ground and with the bike tire, you have a 50 cent sized patch on the road. Ask yourself, which one will stop the quickest? Not to mention, there is a taller sidewall on the car tire which equates to a little more sidewall flex that produces a softer ride, I can go on and on but that is several reasons why I like them. Better dry and wet grip, longer tire life, smoother ride, shorter stopping distance, and cheaper.

Even though I interact with Tire Engineers every day (Don't ask them what they think) I am interested in running a car tire but have not been able to get this question answered. Could this increased contact patch contribute to hydroplaning? I ask because on the final night of the IBA Rally one rider using a CT went down with this report:

"The rider is going to be fine with only a broken right collar bone to show for a low-side crash and tumble on I-95 south of Fredericksburg, VA early this morning. His recollection is that the storm passed through ahead of him and the pavement was excessively wet. He remembers cruising at highway speed with the intention of returning to rally HQ with all of his booty collected for the leg. He had plenty of time and had stopped for an hour rest at a rest area before the accident, and had time for more stops when needed (I talked to him on the phone when he woke up in the rest area and he sounded good and ready to finish his ride). He said, “the back end of the bike started to come around from a loss of traction”. He does not know what caused the loss of traction, but he and the bike came to rest on the highway."

I have tried to get additional information but have not been successful. It could have been caused by many factors.
I found this contact patch comparison on another forum. It looks to me that the CT contact patch is asymmetric and would not have as smooth of a transition but you probably just have to get used to it. Big Dawg I really appreciate your input and can't wait for the report from the car tire virgin, Miles.

Scotrod
11-08-2013, 04:24 PM
I've got a copy of that same chart and a buncha other stuff that came with it. Believe it was from a Japanese tire MFG,,,

I don't necessarily agree with the way they portray the CT sidewall making contact, at least not in conditions the GL would experience.

Miles = Virgin with certain motorcycle things,,, CT's on MC's have been around quite a while now.

Heh heh heh! If he's never tried one before,,, ever,,,,,,,,,,,Hell, even I have FAR MORE miles of CT EXPERIENCE than Miles has!!!

:shock:

Dang rookie!! :duck:

LOL!!!

Hambly434
11-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Just finished this emblem for a member of the Dark Side.
Fits in the 2-1/2 square pocket in front of the riders right knee.
I can put this engraving any of the badges or lic. plate frames.
It could also be reduced a little to add in a Dark Side Rider Member #.
$35 shipped

If interested send me a pm.

bstroh59
11-08-2013, 11:59 PM
Yesterday, I added my name to the Darksider's roster. I am officially Darkside #1506.

So Murgie has handed out over 1,000 numbers since I got mine - 487. Welcome to the Darkside.

There's a lot out there that are riding that have never gotten a number. I've run 2 Kumho's and am now on the Michelin Alpin. I consider my first Kumho for saving my butt and my wife. We took on a 1/4 x 3" lag bolt. Riding 2 up the tire didn't even feel like it was flat. I pulled the bolt, plugged it and ran another 7K miles before I replaced it. My second one had 18K on it.

The Michelin that I am on now, got transferred from my old Wing with 4500 miles on it. I now have 13,500 on my new Wing, so that's 18K on that tire and it looks like it has better than half tread. This one is wearing well and I will probably run another one when the time comes.

I will probably put a Michelin on my wife's F6 when the time comes to replace her's next spring.

bobbyf6b
11-09-2013, 12:56 AM
Once again, I think the hydroplaning issue isn't an issue. Trikes have two car tires on the back and Can-Am's have three car tires. Any bike, car or truck can hydroplane if there's enough standing water on the road. Speed must be adjusted for the conditions.

bob109
11-09-2013, 06:10 AM
Be it a car or motorcycle tire, the number and design of the "sipes" has a major role in how a tire performs in "wet conditions". A wider tire, in itself, doesn't assure wet traction. Sipes (grooves) which channel the water from between the road surface and tire tread are paramount to reasonable/good traction. Folks tend to forget that upon initial rain contact with the road surface, oil residue is lifting from the pores of the road surface. This provides for many accidents, cycle or car.

Attached are some photos of cycle rain tires. The amount of thread sipes are evident and surpass anything on a normal cycle touring tire.

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7kcNE35Sli4AMkJXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBybGhkdDR qBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA1VJQzFfMQ--/SIG=1493vqcvk/EXP=1384022925/**http%3a//images.search.yahoo.com/search/images%3f_adv_prop=image%26fr=yfp-t-745-s%26va=motorcycle%2brain%2btires%2brace

Had some personal experiences with a 250 Avon Venom R on my Suzuki M-109 that scared the sh-t out of me. No matter how good of a rider you think you are, that quickly changes when the a$$ end of your bike starts passing you:shock:

Hornblower
11-09-2013, 08:34 AM
So Murgie has handed out over 1,000 numbers since I got mine - 487. Welcome to the Darkside.
There's a lot out there that are riding that have never gotten a number. I've run 2 Kumho's and am now on the Michelin Alpin.

Thanks, bstroh59! You're right, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the total number of DS riders is easily double the number on the roster.

The Michelin Alpin is the other tire I seriously considered before I ordered the Kumho. Since you've run both, how would you compare the two? I assume, since you mentioned you would buy the Alpin again, that you prefer that tire. How about a quick comparison? Also, what air pressure are you running? Thanks!

Phantom
11-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Even though I interact with Tire Engineers every day (Don't ask them what they think) I am interested in running a car tire but have not been able to get this question answered. Could this increased contact patch contribute to hydroplaning?

In some cases YES !

I discovered a few years ago that a wider tire on the rear was NOT better than the stock tire on a 3 wheel vehicle.

The vehicle came stock with a GoodYear 315/35/17 rear tire (12" wide), I replaced it with a Michelin 335/35/17 rear tire (13.25" wide) for the steamroller look. The Michelin rubber compound was softer and tackier yet broke loose much quicker than the smaller Goodyear tire, I did not like the fact that I would loose the rear end way more often than when I had the Goodyear tire. After TWO instances of spinning out of control in the rain with the Michelin I replaced that new Michelin with a New 315 Goodyear and all was fine with the occasional (on purpose) burn out.

The following year the vehicle manufacturer started replacing the rear tire with a SMALLER tire, a GoodYear 285/40/17 (10" wide) because it supposedly gave better traction. The way it was explained to me was this way.....

Imagine 500 pounds pushing down on your 2" contact patch, the small contact patch is the focus point of the weight, so for figures sake that relates to 250 pounds per inch pushing down on the rubber, the larger contact patch has more surface area to distribute this weight. So for figures sake lets take a 4" contact patch from a Car Tire and divide the 500 pounds by 4" that relates to 125 pounds per inch pushing down on the rubber, the larger the contact patch has more surface area to distribute the weight. Yes you have more rubber for contact but not as much down pressure per square inch because the pressure is being distributed on a wider patch. You will probably notice it more on a wet surface than any other surface. A smaller contact patch supposedly makes the tire grab better. That's how it was explained to me and I am not an engineer to say otherwise. However I would still place a CT on my Wing if I rode the amount of miles that some of you do but with caution in the rain.

Food for thought :iduno:

bstroh59
11-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks, bstroh59! You're right, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the total number of DS riders is easily double the number on the roster.

The Michelin Alpin is the other tire I seriously considered before I ordered the Kumho. Since you've run both, how would you compare the two? I assume, since you mentioned you would buy the Alpin again, that you prefer that tire. How about a quick comparison? Also, what air pressure are you running? Thanks!

I actually like the Alpin best. This tire does have more of a "rounded edge" then the Kumho, and seems to corner closer to a MC tire. In fact, when I transferred it from my old Wing at the dealership, the mechanic took it the long way around the shop with some corners. He even commented how much better this one felt, compared to some others he had experienced. If you really wonder how it corners, I'll show you how ground my highway pegs are. I don't have any problems taking corners however hard I like too.

I run this one at 36 lbs. cold. I'd like to run it lower, but at least when it gets warmed up, the TPMS will quit flashing. Wear is still looking pretty even, but I haven't gotten a depth gauge to be specific. Overall, this one is wearing better then the Kumho since I have about the same mileage as my best on the Kumho and I still have plenty of tread. I do run the dyna beads. I like the idea of having the tire always balanced.

You won't be disappointed. Just run the Kumho and try something different. :icon_wink:

MichaelG
11-10-2013, 08:19 PM
I run this one at 36 lbs. cold. I'd like to run it lower, but at least when it gets warmed up, the TPMS will quit flashing.

I have two questions for you:

# 1...can't you simply set the TPMS to the specific pressure you want the tire to be set for, and have it read from that? If you want the tire to be set at 35psi, can't you set the TPMS to 35psi for the rear tire ?

# 2...are you running the BT45 on the front wheel, in a forward mounted direction, or a reverse mounted direction? What kind of mileage are you getting out of the 'stone BT45 mounted on the front wheel? Yes, I do know the BT45 is a rear tire, but I also know that alot of Darksiders like to run the BT45 on the front wheel. Forward or backward mounted ?

Big Dawg
11-10-2013, 08:43 PM
# 1...can't you simply set the TPMS to the specific pressure you want the tire to be set for, and have it read from that? If you want the tire to be set at 35psi, can't you set the TPMS to 35psi for the rear tire ?

Honda GL1800 doesn't have adjustable programmable TPMS sensors. It is possible to teach the rear to be the front and vice versa. Since the front tire pressure is 5 pounds lower, that the rear, then we fool the ECM into thinking the rear sensor is the front and now you can run the rear tire at 32 psi without seeing a blinking TPMS light

MichaelG
11-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Today, while I had my bike inside my own shop, and up on my lift, to remove the Front tire that now has 20,270 miles on it, I also removed my second version of my rear tire...and installed the newly powder-coated 90% high gloss Black rear wheel, with a new Michelin Primacy Alpin 3 (run-flat) car tire.

The installation of the CT to the bike was very easy, because I read and followed all the tips that those before me suggested. Having the bike all the way up in the air helped too, as I could stand and lift the tire up into place. I did let the air out of the tire first, and...because of the newly powder-coated wheel, I did put tape on the threaded studs, so that they would not scratch the wheel. The only problem I had with this job, was getting the tape off the threaded studs, once the wheel was in place. I know what to do better next time, as I have a lot of the rubber caps that come with new fuel pumps, so I will use them.

I will start out running this new CT at 35 psi, and do all the tests suggested by that Big Dawg dude :icon_wink:
It will be a week before I actually get the bike back on the road,, because I am sending my front wheel and my secondary rear wheel out to be powder-coated 90% high gloss Black. In the meantime...tweak this and adjust that...to make the bike happier.:shock:

Big Dawg
11-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Sweet:lolup::clap2::clap2:

hiflyer
11-11-2013, 03:24 PM
I haven't looked back at your other posts, have you always run car tires? Just trying to glean some info from a high mileage dude such as yourself.

MichaelG
11-11-2013, 03:46 PM
I haven't looked back at your other posts, have you always run car tires? Just trying to glean some info from a high mileage dude such as yourself.

This is my very first CT, and I have Bob109 to blame for it all. :icon_mrgreen:

The fact is, I decided to OPEN my mind, and give it a try. I am hopeful it will all work just fine. I have other wheels with new tires sitting in my shop, so...I can always go back to the Lightside, but....I hope this works.

Scotrod
11-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Of course it will work. :icon_biggrin:
I find it to be more of a 'what do ya like and what can ya live with?' type of situation. One you'll never really know the answer to until you try it for yourself. :icon_wink:

bob109
11-11-2013, 04:32 PM

The fact is, I decided to OPEN my mind, and give it a try. I am hopeful it will all work just fine. I have other wheels with new tires sitting in my shop, so...I can always go back to the Lightside, but....I hope this works.

Miles:

Riding the Dark Side is nothing more than mind over matter! With your accumulated riding skills the subtle handling difference between the M/T and C/T should be easily overcome. Make sure that you scrub in your new C/T and find the "sweep spot" on air pressure which best suits you and you will be "Golden". There are no shortage of folks who have accumulated considerable safe mileage on a C/T without incident, myself included.

Wishing you a safe and enjoyable C/T experience.

Regards

Bob

Hornblower
11-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Miles--I'm sure many join with me in anticipating your upcoming review. Your considerable experience should carry significant weight and that, combined with an unusually honest review, should prove to be very interesting. I'm looking forward to it. Since it's your first, don't be biased by the first few miles. I'm confident you will adjust quickly and frankly, I'll be surprised if you don't love it.

Big Dawg
11-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Miles--I'm sure many join with me in anticipating your upcoming review. Your considerable experience should carry significant weight and that, combined with an unusually honest review, should prove to be very interesting. I'm looking forward to it. Since it's your first, don't be biased by the first few miles. I'm confident you will adjust quickly and frankly, I'll be surprised if you don't love it.

Ken, I love the new avaitar

Hornblower
11-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Ken, I love the new avaitar

Thanks for that, Jimmy! I use this avatar on several different forums that I'm on. I chose it mainly to distinguish between being thought of as a horn blower (like a car horn) and a horn player (which I am).

MichaelG
11-12-2013, 12:20 AM
Wow, the Darkside must be gaining momentum, as two other members have joined in between when Hornblower got his number a few days ago, and when I got my number tonight. I am now officially Darkside member # 1509. Or....# 6021 if my bike is laying upside down. :icon_razz:

:bf8:

Mustangjake
11-12-2013, 01:43 AM
setting at my desk 1:30 am fl. time, jacked on pain killer + anabale to sleep from pain + trying to type with my left hand and still cant find the darkside club are u guys funnen me ?

Hornblower
11-12-2013, 07:38 AM
setting at my desk 1:30 am fl. time, jacked on pain killer + anabale to sleep from pain + trying to type with my left hand and still cant find the darkside club are u guys funnen me ?

If you're looking for a forum to read and learn about this, go to the "GL1800 Riders" forum and under "Focus Groups" look for "Darkside Riders"

OTOH, if you're looking for a link to sign the roster and see the list of fellow "Darksiders", check this out:

http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt

Need anything else?

jkelley
11-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Hmmm, Need a spare rear wheel.....

Deer Slayer
11-12-2013, 09:05 AM
This is the good old USA, and it's my F6B and I will put on it what ever I wish. That about covers it.

Deer Slayer
11-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Nice shop. I do like the lift..

Big Dawg
11-12-2013, 09:33 AM
Hmmm, Need a spare rear wheel.....

I have a couple of rear wheels if any one is looking for one

MichaelG
11-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Nice shop. I do like the lift..

Thanks. I made those orange I-beam adapters to fit onto my car lift, so I can lift any of my bikes. The F6B is rock solid, at any height. I was very pleased with that. There is always the question of...if I remove the rear wheel, how is it going to affect the balance of the bike on the lift, or...conversly, removing the front wheel...blah blah blah. No better feeling than having a bike on a lift, 6 feet in the air, and the bike is still rock solid.

And putting the bike on the lift is a one person job.

jkelley
11-12-2013, 12:59 PM
I have a couple of rear wheels if any one is looking for one

I am interested...............

Steve 0080
11-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Any thoughts on this tire and the size ???

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&code=yes&partnum=76QR6DS3&KEYWORD=tires.jsp_Dunlop_Graspic_DS-3_Tire&tireModel=Graspic+DS-3&GCID=C13674x012-tire&CA_6C15C=530007250000528055

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=135&sowigan=&Breite=175&Quer=60&Felge=16&Speed=&kategorie=6&LoadRange=&Marke=&ranzahl=4&s_p=&m_s=3&x_tyre_for=ALL&suchen=View+Tires

Hornblower
11-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Any thoughts on this tire and the size ???

I have two thoughts...first, why not go with the normally accepted tire size which is 195/55R16? Second, just looking at the photo, the edges appear to be unusually square. Of course, this particular photo could be misleading in that regard but, if not, most people choose a CT with a more rounded edge.

Scotrod
11-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Can't speak for Steve, but assumably as 175 is closer to 180 than 195 is,, :iduno:

I understand about the desired 'rounded' edges.

MichaelG
11-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Can't speak for Steve, but assumably as 175 is closer to 180 than 195 is,, :iduno:

The 175 tire may be closer to the original width of our OEM tires...of 180. But....the sidewall ratio of 60 on the 175 tire makes it much shorter of a tire than the OEM tire.

180/60-16 tire has a sidewall height of 108
195/55-16 tire has a sidewall height of 107.5
175/60-16 tire has a sidewall height of 105

That sidewall height has a direct affect on the overall diameter of the tire, which in turn affects the speedometer and odometer.

Remember, a difference of 3mm in sidewall height, multiplied by 2, equals an overall difference of 6mm in change.

With a 195/55-16 tire, the total overall change is only 1mm.

Given the choice, I would prefer to run a slightly wider tire, as long as it fits in there, than a slightly narrower tire.

bobbyf6b
11-12-2013, 04:47 PM
It's up to you but I would only use a directional tire since it's designed to perform best in one direction.

Steve 0080
11-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Just wondered what the difference was...1mm in not noticeable……,some folks are running the 175….maybe they are short ???

MichaelG
11-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Just wondered what the difference was...1mm in not noticeable……,some folks are running the 175….maybe they are short ???

Steve, just so that you clearly understand....using a 195/55-16 tire will be a 1mm difference. But using a 175/60-16 tire will be a 6mm difference.

bobbyf6b
11-12-2013, 07:42 PM
You would need a 175/65 or 70/16.

Edit: 155/70/16 shows the same diameter as stock bike tire, but Tire Rack doesn't show any tires in that size.

Phantom
11-12-2013, 07:58 PM
:icon_cool:

Here is an accurate comparison , there is not that much of a difference between the 2 Car Tires
The 195 tire is MUCH closer to the OEM Bridgestone dimensions

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=195-55r16-175-60r16

Here is the OEM 180 Bridgestone tire versus the 195 / 55 / 16

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=180-60r16-195-55r16

here is the OEM 180 Bridgestone tire versus the 175 / 60 / 16

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=180-60r16-175-60r16

Scotrod
11-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Had a chance to ride it yet Miles?

IMHO, Many 'adjust' to the CT and forget the feel of a MT. Time spent looking for that 'sweet spot',,,,

What would be a sweet comparo is a Rider with both a CT and MT mounted on 2 rims that could swap back and forth. (Sounds like a great project for someone with a nice lift, a couple rims, plenty of tires,,, wink wink, nod nod!!! :icon_biggrin:)

Most already ~know~ (or don't think about) the way a MT handles,,, Run the CT for a good couple grand, dial it in as best you can, then swap back to a MT for a day/week, then back to the CT.

Fresh memories are the best,,,,

MichaelG
11-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Scott, those plans are already in the hopper. :icon_mrgreen:

Scotrod
11-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Scott, those plans are already in the hopper. :icon_mrgreen:

:icon_biggrin:

We knew you were up to the challenge!

:biggthumpup:

bstroh59
11-12-2013, 09:53 PM
I have two questions for you:

# 2...are you running the BT45 on the front wheel, in a forward mounted direction, or a reverse mounted direction? What kind of mileage are you getting out of the 'stone BT45 mounted on the front wheel? Yes, I do know the BT45 is a rear tire, but I also know that alot of Darksiders like to run the BT45 on the front wheel. Forward or backward mounted ?

Miles...........
1. Somebody else answered this, so I won't repeat what he said. It's the pits that you can't program it, but one more thing mother Honda could easily improve.

2. The BT45 on my old Wing had 32,800 on it when I traded and it looked better then my Stone on the new '13 at 12K. I've got 14K+ on it now, and I won't go any distance next spring until I get it swapped. Will definitely go with the Battle ax again. I had the BT45 mounted forward (normal direction) and got along great. I know some have gone backwards for the "torque" in braking, but I was concerned about riding in rain with it backwards.

bstroh59
11-12-2013, 10:03 PM

Welcome to the Darkside, and I bet some cookies that you won't go back! :icon_twisted:

BTW.... love the lift in the shop. OK, I'd take the shop too.:bowdown:

MichaelG
11-13-2013, 12:55 AM
Miles...........
I've got 14K+ on it now, and I won't go any distance next spring until I get it swapped.

Thanks for the info on the BT45, and mounting it forward.

Why is it that your front tire on your F6B is worn out at 14K miles ?????? What pressure have you been running in it ??????

bstroh59
11-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the info on the BT45, and mounting it forward.

Why is it that your front tire on your F6B is worn out at 14K miles ?????? What pressure have you been running in it ??????

The 14K is on my Wing. Been running 38#. The edges are starting to cup (even with the dyna beads) and the center is down to the wear bars. I'll run it for a while, but won't take off on a long trip. Once it get's down that far, I'm just concerned about getting caught in the rain on a trip. This is still better then the Dunlap on my first Wing, since I swapped it at 9K.

My wife has about 12K on her F6B, and it's looking about the same as mine did a few K back. So I'm guessing she'll be in the same boat at 14K. No long trips when she get's to that point without making the switch.

MichaelG
11-13-2013, 11:57 AM
The 14K is on my Wing. Been running 38#. The edges are starting to cup (even with the dyna beads) and the center is down to the wear bars. I'll run it for a while, but won't take off on a long trip. Once it get's down that far, I'm just concerned about getting caught in the rain on a trip. This is still better then the Dunlap on my first Wing, since I swapped it at 9K.

My wife has about 12K on her F6B, and it's looking about the same as mine did a few K back. So I'm guessing she'll be in the same boat at 14K. No long trips when she get's to that point without making the switch.

Please take this as being meant as politely informing you that your front tires are UNDER-Inflated. I know what Honda "says" to run the front tire at, and Honda is WRONG. There is no other word for thast...other than...WRONG. When you start with a NEW tire on the front, set it at 40 psi, and keep it at 40 psi, and you will have longer tread life, no scalloping, and probably get close to or more than 20K miles out of it.

My very first GL-1800, with new Dunlop D205 Radials, I got 19,500 out of the front tire. I have had many front tires that were far less in mileage, BUT...it was because I was product testing for some manufacturers, and they required X number of miles in Y number of days. That eats up tires. I was the guy that did the testing for Dunlop for the E-3 radials, for the GL-1800, and went through 10 sets of tires in one year. I can tell you that the end result of all that testing was that "we" decided that 40 psi on the front tire is the best, and correct pressure for proper tire wear, and longer life.

Now, it is your bike, and your wife's bike...so you do what you want to with them. It is your decision, and your right to run whatever pressure you want to in the tires. But whenever I see riders that have negative comments about tire life or wear, the end result is that 93.14159 % of those riders are riding with under-inflated tires.

The proof is undeniable. I can send you pictures of my front tire at 20,270 miles, which was only taken off because the wheels are being powder-coated, and because Bridgestone wants my old tires. I even know of a local Honda dealer that rides an F6B himself, that recently acknowledged to me that while he "has" been running 38 psi in the front tire, he is going to raise it to 40 psi on the next new tire, because of adverse wear and low mileage.

It may take some time, but eventually the 93.14159%...will go with 40 psi in the front tire. :icon_wink:

bstroh59
11-15-2013, 10:41 PM
It may take some time, but eventually the 93.14159%...will go with 40 psi in the front tire. :icon_wink:

Well.... I'm always up for something new, so I'll give it a try on the next one......... which will be a BT45. :icon_lol:

dickiedeals
11-16-2013, 09:04 AM
I don't know but it seems to me that the many Motorcycle Manufactures Put Specific types of tires on motorcycles for a reason. If I can't afford a Motorcycle tire then I don't need to be riding. This is just me. To each his own.......Dickie

bobbyf6b
11-16-2013, 11:05 AM
I don't know but it seems to me that the many Motorcycle Manufactures Put Specific types of tires on motorcycles for a reason......Dickie

That's true but I think the bike and tire companies make deals for OEM use. I don't feel obligated to buy OEM tires for my car, so I don't feel obligated to buy OEM tires for my bike.

dickiedeals
11-16-2013, 01:55 PM
That's true but I think the bike and tire companies make deals for OEM use. I don't feel obligated to buy OEM tires for my car, so I don't feel obligated to buy OEM tires for my bike.

That being said. Perhaps we should try tractor tires, airplane tires, etc. etc. etc. Lol . Like I said, " To each his own." I'll continue to run the stock MC tires for the next 20,000 miles or so since I have an extra rear wheel and tire from fleabay..Dickie

bobbyf6b
11-17-2013, 01:10 AM
How about paddle tires?

http://youtu.be/NItJ2BcrTgk

Phantom
11-17-2013, 01:19 AM
How about paddle tires?

"darth/vader2'

'dark-side'

Madmax
07-11-2014, 11:15 AM
Just picked up a brand new take off wheel from a company doing trike conversions to F6B's , I plan on doing Sturgis this year so I will give the darkside a shot since its going to be all straight line riding should work out great .
Then I have the other wheel to switch back for doing the back roads local .

bob109
07-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Just picked up a brand new take off wheel from a company doing trike conversions to F6B's , I plan on doing Sturgis this year so I will give the darkside a shot since its going to be all straight line riding should work out great .
Then I have the other wheel to switch back for doing the back roads local .

Not sure what CT you will select but once you encounter the Dark Side and your are comfortable with straight line riding you'll easily transition to the twisties in your back yard. Have almost 19K miles on my General G-Max which was installed a year ago. The tire handles curves as good or better than any MT. Already have another G-Max mounted on my spare rim. The current Max has several thousand miles of wear remaining. I just may see 22/24k miles of service which I'm more than satisfied with.

Keep us updated on your tire selection:039:

bob109
07-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Wow! Originally penning the" F6B Dark Side Riders Thread" on 7-14-13 there appears to be a vast interest in the subject. As I write this post there has been over 7000 views of the thread. With all the pro's and con's of Dark Side Riding there has not been a single report of a "crash and burn" incident as the result of CT use on a F6B:clap2:

I'm aware that several members of our community have transitioned to the DS and have had excellent results. If anyone has had a less than desirable experience and returned to a MT you thoughts and input would be appreciated.

For those currently running a CT a up to date report on your accumulated mileage would be appreciated:icon_biggrin:

Regards and Safe Riding

Bob

Steve 0080
07-11-2014, 01:09 PM
DS with the Alpine....no need to return to a MT..... I will be in Franklin, NC for the rally...... if someone wants to try a bike out before you make the jump...you are welcome to ride mine!!!

Madmax
07-11-2014, 01:14 PM
Choosing the correct tire will be the next task , I will take a look at the General G-Max has a nice ring to it ... LOL Thanks for the heads up .
I do like the option of a run flat tire for these heavy bikes . For a seasoned rider can't see and problems , its just a wide tire just like on a drag bike ... LOL

Big Dawg
07-11-2014, 01:28 PM
The major advantages with the Car Tire are mainly, more rubber on the road, even at full lean! In a panic stop, there is 4 to 5 times the contact patch since it is much wider. !0 times better grip in the rain, They last twice as long as a M/C tire, they have more side wall which allows a bit of side wall flex so it is a smoother ride especially for a passenger, The run flat will stand tall enough so that the bike won't fall over even it the tire is completely flat. (So you understand that statement; If you use a standard car tire and have a flat, with it's softer sidewall, it is very likely that the bike will sit so low in the back that it will not lean over far enough on the side stand. it will try to fall over towards riders right.) Not to mention they are cheaper! I am a fan of the Michelin and I have riden from Savannah Ga to California and back on one.

austin_tech
07-11-2014, 02:09 PM
The major advantages with the Car Tire are mainly, more rubber on the road, even at full lean! In a panic stop, there is 4 to 5 times the contact patch since it is much wider. !0 times better grip in the rain, They last twice as long as a M/C tire, they have more side wall which allows a bit of side wall flex so it is a smoother ride especially for a passenger, The run flat will stand tall enough so that the bike won't fall over even it the tire is completely flat. Not to mention they are cheaper! I am a fan of the Michelin and I have riden from Savannah Ga to California and back on one.

Has anyone tried an aircraft tire yet? Now that would be sweet!

Scotrod
07-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Has anyone tried an aircraft tire yet? Now that would be sweet!

Hmmm,

Dad had some on the front of one of his Tractor's back in Iowa,,,

A company sold the 'used' ones, complete with 'tractor' style rims, to Farmers,,,

Impervious to puncture by cornstalks, extreme load carrying capacity, and they would wear like iron. :yes:

Wild Bill
07-11-2014, 09:18 PM
Well I am a newbee to the darkside but have put on rite at 6k on a car tire.Wasnt happy with it to start.But as everyone has said there is some trial and error to getting it to the rite pressure,suspention stting before it is rite.
To explain.I am running a bridgstone blizzak run flat.{May be the only one} and traction has not been what I felt it should be.Played with the pressure some,but not a lot of help. Roll the throttle and smoke the tire.Was fun though. Last weekend kranked up the suspention setting for a 2 up N Ga mountain ride. That was the trick. Im thinking it mite bring the front wheel up now if I wanted.

Hook
07-11-2014, 11:44 PM
I had 14000 on my bike and I knew I was going to Sturgis at the end of July. I'm planning to put 5000 miles on my trip. I looked and read a lot of threads about CT. So this is why I chose to run a CT......A much better ride and more miles per tire. I chose a Run Flat because I can run lower air pressure...In turn a better ride..If you chose to go to the DS RF tire you can play with your air pressure to your liking...I'm running about 30-32lbs. This my also depend on your weight...But 30-32 great for me:icon_biggrin: I'm running Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT on the rear:icon_biggrin:

smokinjoe187
07-12-2014, 02:24 AM
DS with the Alpine....no need to return to a MT..... I will be in Franklin, NC for the rally...... if someone wants to try a bike out before you make the jump...you are welcome to ride mine!!!

+1
:biker::biker::biker:

Madmax
07-12-2014, 07:20 AM
I had 14000 on my bike and I knew I was going to Sturgis at the end of July. I'm planning to put 5000 miles on my trip. I looked and read a lot of threads about CT. So this is why I chose to run a CT......A much better ride and more miles per tire. I chose a Run Flat because I can run lower air pressure...In turn a better ride..If you chose to go to the DS RF tire you can play with your air pressure to your liking...I'm running about 30-32lbs. This my also depend on your weight...But 30-32 great for me:icon_biggrin: I'm running Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT on the rear:icon_biggrin:

I was just on the tire rack looking at RF tires 195/55r16 there are a lot of choices I do like the Bridgestone Potenza or the Michelin Alpin Pa3 , I do like the Yokohama Avid .
Any issues mounting up the run flat tire , I have access to several tire machines and will mount my tire up .
How about balancing up the tire any issues .
Thanks
Max

Phantom
07-12-2014, 07:48 AM
I was just on the tire rack looking at RF tires 195/55r16 there are a lot of choices I do like the Bridgestone Potenza or the Michelin Alpin Pa3 , I do like the Yokohama Avid .
Any issues mounting up the run flat tire , I have access to several tire machines and will mount my tire up .
Thanks
Max

Many choices out there, however for the past 2 years the Michelin Alpin Pa3 has become the number one choice for veteran GoldWing darksiders. The roundness of the profile makes it easier to handle and feels more like a motorcycle tire then any other car tire. The feedback from riders has been .... after just a couple hundred miles you can't tell the difference. Some are getting 25,000 - 30,000 miles.

bob109
07-12-2014, 07:57 AM
Thanks
Max

I do my own "static wheel/tire balancing" and never had any issues. Most CT will use between 1/4-3/4 oz. weight to put them
"on the button". Make sure you line up the balance paint/ink dots on the rim/tire. The G-Max required 36/38 lbs. pressure to seat the bead. As you will be doing your own mounting with a "tire machine" you shouldn't have any issues getting a RFCT on your rim:icon_wink:

The tire you select should have a symmetrical directional thread/tread pattern with ample sipes giving the tire the ability too adequately channel water.

Keep us all posted on your progress!

Safe Riding

Bob

Scotrod
07-12-2014, 08:04 AM
.Wasnt happy with it to start.But as everyone has said there is some trial and error to getting it to the rite pressure,suspention stting before it is rite.
To.

. after just a couple hundred miles you can't tell the difference.

1. None of this occurs with a MT.

2. The sooner you forget what a MT is like, the sooner you'll like a CT! :stirthepot:

3. It's yer bike, ride whatever ya think ya like! :icon_biggrin:

Madmax
07-19-2014, 05:24 PM
Got the tire in the other day , had my buddy at his shop mount it up , he said the wheel had a TPMS on the wheel ... Do the F6B's have that system or just the full wings .
My wheel was a new take off not sure a 2014 but would say so .

bob109
07-19-2014, 05:40 PM
Got the tire in the other day , had my buddy at his shop mount it up , he said the wheel had a TPMS on the wheel ... Do the F6B's have that system or just the full wings .
My wheel was a new take off not sure a 2014 but would say so .

No TPS with the F6B!

Looks like you made a great tire selection:clap2:

Ride Safe

Bob

Pap
07-19-2014, 05:52 PM
I had a car tire on my M109r before I traded it in on the F6B.
Mine was a LITTLE bit wider though.
It was a 275 35 18 mounted on a 10" rim.
Talk about grip!! Couldn't break it loose even if I tried.
It still cornered like it was nothing and had outlived the original MT three fold.
Once this rear wears out I will be looking for a CT for it's replacement.

Blotar
07-22-2014, 07:34 PM
I couldn't wait for the total end of my stone. 11300 miles and one plug due to a 3" nail and I couldn't stand it any longer. I have gone darkside on the F6B! It is wonderful. the lower center of gravity adds to the overall ease of transition from side to side and I couldn't be more happy!
I was first darkside w/a GYTT on the Valkyrie and didn't know that it had a TOO SQUARE FOOTPRINT. there wasn't anything to compare it too. A good friend Jimmy Hay on the VRCC found the Falken 512 and convinced me to go w/the Falken. I could not find a 512 as I think they are in short supply, but I found a directional 912. I put it on my Valkyrie an was never happier. It is even better on the F6B! The Valkyrie has a higher center of gravity compared to the F6B so if there ever was any heaving over the edge it is completely undetectible on the F6B. I have a Falken 195-55-16 V-Rated 912 and I am thrilled at 36# pressure. I used to run 38# and my go back to that setting, but the first ride was really wonderfull at 36#. We shall see.7075
Blotar:icon_biggrin:

bob109
07-22-2014, 08:22 PM
I couldn't wait for the total end of my stone. 11300 miles and one plug due to a 3" nail and I couldn't stand it any longer. I have gone darkside on the F6B! It is wonderful. the lower center of gravity adds to the overall ease of transition from side to side and I couldn't be more happy!
I was first darkside w/a GYTT on the Valkyrie and didn't know that it had a TOO SQUARE FOOTPRINT. there wasn't anything to compare it too. A good friend Jimmy Hay on the VRCC found the Falken 512 and convinced me to go w/the Falken. I could not find a 512 as I think they are in short supply, but I found a directional 912. I put it on my Valkyrie an was never happier. It is even better on the F6B! The Valkyrie has a higher center of gravity compared to the F6B so if there ever was any heaving over the edge it is completely undetectible on the F6B. I have a Falken 195-55-16 V-Rated 912 and I am thrilled at 36# pressure. I used to run 38# and my go back to that setting, but the first ride was really wonderfull at 36#. We shall see.7075
Blotar:icon_biggrin:

I found it rather funny when you described the GYTT as too square a footprint. I had one on my Yamaha Stratoliner S and that is exactly what the tire felt like! A square/heavy handling feeling:icon_lol:

I'm rather curious as to why you chose a tire without a symmetrical thread pattern. The Falken 512 thread/tread is both symmetrical and directional, where as, the 912 is but directional.

Please keep us posted/updated as to any thread/tread wear anomalies you may encounter with the 912.

Blotar
07-22-2014, 10:16 PM
I have 20K + miles on the 912 with the Valkyrie. I coulldn't ask for a better tire. I cannot tell that the tire is 'directional'. That's why I chose it for the F6B. The fact that it is V rated is just a plus for those triple digit moments that occur from time to time.
Blotar

Steve 0080
07-22-2014, 11:14 PM
I found it rather funny when you described the GYTT as too square a footprint. I had one on my Yamaha Stratoliner S and that is exactly what the tire felt like! A square/heavy handling feeling"

Same way I felt about the Bridgestone Pontenza....

Madmax
07-23-2014, 02:32 PM
I have gone to the darkside ... pretty nice I must say bike handles better , I have the air pressure at 35 but may go up to 42 just see what it feels like with a little more crown to the tire .
The new wheel has a up graded aluminum stem ? is that new for 2014 ... and I ask my buddy who owns and runs a cycle shop and said yes the wheel does have a pressure sensor in that wheel ... very odd .
Handles great !70867085

Blotar
07-23-2014, 05:24 PM
I felt required to put a metal 90 deg stem in my new tire. I sort of hated to cut out a perfectly good valve stem. Oh well, I was laughing all day today, realizing that I had gone Dark Side again and am loving it! We are going to the Pacific North Wet in three weeks and I can't wait to get out of Texas.
Botar

Scotrod
07-23-2014, 08:34 PM
The new wheel has a up graded aluminum stem ? is that new for 2014 ... and I ask my buddy who owns and runs a cycle shop and said yes the wheel does have a pressure sensor in that wheel ... very odd .
Handles great !

Wonder if its off a 2014 GL? They have an 'all black' model now,,, :shrug:

Madmax
07-24-2014, 12:04 PM
I was kind of thinking that my self ... My buddy left the sensor on the wheel , looks like the aluminum valve is a better choice than the rubber .
Wonder if they make a app to read the sensor .... LOL

bob109
02-13-2015, 06:03 PM
A mere 19 months ago tomorrow I started this Thread about and for F6B Dark Side Riders. With 12005 views as of this post it appears to be one of the most visited Threads on our Forum. The input from all sides on the subject has been openly shared, pros/cons, good and bad and every feeling and emotion in between has been discussed. No one has "crashed and burned" (to my knowledge) and some have tried the DS and returned to a MT. No one has been shot for for doing so. Knowledge regarding tire brands, sweet spot tire pressures and overall tire performance has been shared which displays a great amount of respect for all member regardless of what side of the fence you opt to be on. Subjects of this nature can become very messy and create havoc for the Administrator and Moderators but we have demonstrated diligence when differing in our thoughts and opinions. That is a testament to all folks who share a passion for cycling regardless of what you ride, how you equip it and where you reside. I toast all of you for your classiness.

Safe Riding to each you:039:

choptop
03-06-2015, 04:45 PM
Got my Darkside sticker in da mail today, kinda expected some number w/it ?

Steve 0080
09-17-2015, 10:45 PM
Test to move

bob109
07-14-2016, 12:03 AM
How times flies! Today it has been a mere three years since I penned this thread. With over 25K+ views it appears to have had the attention of many. Since that initial post, I'm currently on my second General G-Max after receiving 30.3K miles service form the first. Additionally I'm on my second Bridgestone BattlAx, the first achieving 23K miles wear! Double Dark Siding has provided safe, dependable and long wear service from both front and rear tires.

Want to mention that the "sweet spot" for the tires have been 40psi front and 42/43psi rear. Those pressures provided predictable performance and ultimately produced some scalloping of both tires at the end of their service life.

I've had numerous courteous private e-mails from interested folks over these three years and those same folks have made the transition to the DS. Hope they take the time to share their CT experience with the posting of their tire brand and "sweet spot" tire pressure.

Thanking all those who have contributed to this topic/thread:icon_wink:

Regards and Safe Riding to all:039:

bob109

Steve 0080
07-21-2016, 02:50 PM
True... I had a D.S. sitting on the ground when the new bike came home. Can't see going back!!!

jeffedose
07-23-2016, 03:26 PM
hello. just did my first loop in Colorado with Yokohama envigor 195 on my gl1800. i have been one of these guys that has been wondering for so long I finally pulled the trigger. my only concern might be transitioning back onto one of my other bikes each time....I rode at 42 psi on i70 up the hill and wasn't very impressed in the turns. it made the bike ride much smoother on the highway but does require a little more input in the turns also found it a bit squiggly thru front end input I am running a superbrace and progressive suspension with brand new tapered bearings..I then lowered the tire pressure to 37psi down the canyon I found the bike much more controllable and smoother transitions thru the corners.. I raced for years and still own a rocket...I had the kids in the canyon on there r1s laughing this a.m as I followed them down on a wing with a car tire....overall a very decent experience and I will be putting one on the f6 when the mc tire is fried. my only question is there a ct that has a rounder side profile than the envigor? from all my reading on the gl sites it seems that the envigor was supposed to be the "roundest". thoughts from any of you guys? anyone else riding on an envigor? air pressure ? thanks. where can I get a darkside badge or emblem?....lol.

Steve 0080
07-23-2016, 04:17 PM
" where can I get a darkside badge or emblem?....lol "

I will look into that and see what I can do !!!! I should have done this long ago...Hey BOB!!!!!!!

bob109
07-23-2016, 04:53 PM
" where can I get a darkside badge or emblem?....lol "

I will look into that and see what I can do !!!! I should have done this long ago...Hey BOB!!!!!!!

Steve:

Never had a badge or plate indicating I was a Dark Sider! There are probably a few sites which have them available. Not sure as I've personally never did a search. Some folks, although Dark Siders, like to remain anonymous! They like to avoid the "bashing" by the nay- sayers/critics. If someone would come up with a sticker/badge specifically for "F6B Dark Sider" it my get wider interest:icon_wink:

Regards

Bob

bob109
07-23-2016, 05:35 PM
my only question is there a ct that has a rounder side profile than the envigor? from all my reading on the gl sites it seems that the envigor was supposed to be the "roundest". thoughts from any of you guys?

In all reality the "rounder thread/tread profile has little to due with handling/cornering. In the case of 1 ply sidewall non-run flats, the tire sidewall actually collapses/squats when cornering and never "rolls" like a cycle tire! There's several good videos out there which will show exactly what I'm referring to. If you check your tire thread/tread very closely even with the low mileage you have, you'll discover there isn't any sign of wear except for the actual thread/tread face. I'm attaching a pic of a General G-Max 195/55-R16 (one ply sidewall) non-run flat with over 30K miles wear. There is no sign of wear to any portion of the side edge of the tire face. Started out with 32 psi and eventually settled at 42/43 PSI. I ride solo and weigh in at 256 LBS:shock:

I believe you EnVigor is a non-runflat. That said you may want to do a close inspection of the side wall and look for the number of ply and type of sidewall construction. The lower the sidewall ply, the higher the air pressure required to eliminate "squirm". Sweet spot pressure is subjective given rider weight, two up riding etc. etc. Use whatever pressure that provides the best tire response and you'll be "golden"! Don't be afraid to adjust up or down in you quest for the best TP'

Safe Riding

bob109

jeffedose
07-24-2016, 12:36 AM
Steve:

Never had a badge or plate indicating I was a Dark Sider! There are probably a few sites which have them available. Not sure as I've personally never did a search. Some folks, although Dark Siders, like to remain anonymous! They like to avoid the "bashing" by the nay- sayers/critics. If someone would come up with a sticker/badge specifically

let em bash I welcome the conversation. I have a 330 on the rear of one of my vmaxes it acts like a board when up on edge the other side is 3 inches in the air. haha thanks bob for your input I will keep playing with air pressures I was solo today but generally 2 up 42 psi was a little heavy for me...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Goldwing-Darkside-High-Quality-Vinyl-Decal-/160967966246

Steve 0080
07-24-2016, 12:54 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Goldwing-Darkside-High-Quality-Vinyl-Decal-/160967966246

Thanks!!!!!! You saved me some work !!!! And yes I have the one above and another...

Hook
09-02-2016, 09:54 PM
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT 195/55R16 and love it. I have about 25000 miles on my rear tire and have at least 10-15000 left. I will buy another one when and it ever wears out :yikes: I run it at 32-33 lbs