2800 miles.

Not 6 months old.

Never spent one night outside.

Never put away wet.

The other side is at least as bad.

Not acceptable.

Texas TC
07-14-2013, 05:27 PM
Just clean it up with some chrome polish and go about your business. These thing do, like most combustion engines, create some condensation. Metal rusts, no big deal. I am much more concerned about the paint issues, especially for the riders who chose black, than a little rust on the exhaust tips. JMHO.:icon_cool:

GiddyupF6B
07-14-2013, 05:31 PM
The good news about those pieces are they are just tips that can be easily replaced. I would think Honda would be willing to replace those under warranty? These bikes are too new to have rust issues even if it is only surface rust.

Gumby
07-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Just clean it up with some chrome polish and go about your business. These thing do, like most combustion engines, create some condensation. Metal rusts, no big deal. I am much more concerned about the paint issues, especially for the riders who chose black, than a little rust on the exhaust tips. JMHO.:icon_cool:

Nope.

The wife's vtx is far older with more miles and zero rust issues. My Valk was 10 years old and had zero rust issues. Honda is known for their excellent chrome.

It's bubbling and flaking. It's not surface rust that will polish away. Even so, good chrome does not rust. Toyota replaced thousands of bumpers on the Tundras because they exhibited light surface rust within the first years. Years, not months. In salt. On work vehicles.

I am not accepting"just get aftermarket parts" for my $20,000, 3,000 mile old vehicle.

Is this really how owning a Gold Wing is?

"Oh. They all do that. Just buy some product and fix it constantly."

Gumby
07-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Post scrubbing the Hell out of it with Mothers chrome polish.

Obviously better, but its tough to see the chip and cracks that you can feel. It'll be rusted just as bad as the other one by Tuesday when I take it back to the dealer again.

MichaelG
07-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Gumby, I hear ya...and support ya...but the first two questions that come to my mind are:

Where do you live ? State and closest big city ?

And what it the last 4 of your VIN ?

To "me", those are important pieces of information that need to be asked. The WHERE...as it may possibly relate to wear indicators such as salty air, dry, arrid conditions, etc,, etc. The VIN...as it may possibly relate to a pattern shown by many other bikes with a grouping of VIN's close to yours.

Personally...I have owned a LOT of Honda product, and I have no doubt at all that Honda will cover such items. I will say that I never had these kinds of issues with any of my 5 previous Wings...3 of which were 1800 Wings...but things have changed...painting methods have changed, and suppliers have changed, especially since the Wing production loine was moved from Ohio to Japan.

I spoke on the phone last Friday...2 days ago...with Honda customer service again regarding the paint issue, just as a reminder...do not forget me for "whenever" Honda does get around to fixing the problem. The employee did acknowledge that Honda is well aware of the problem, and is still gathering info...to determine a resolution.

It is VERY important that each and every one of the F6B owners that has bad paint...contact Honda to file the complaint officially.

So, Gumby, for my own personal info needs, where do you live, and what are your VIN last 4 ?

Steve 0080
07-14-2013, 09:03 PM
I see it as a design flaw...drill a hole in the bottom for water to drain out...

Texas TC
07-14-2013, 09:18 PM
I see it as a design flaw...drill a hole in the bottom for water to drain out...

I did noticed my Torq Master pipes have a little drain hole inside the pipe even though there is no lip on the flair.

Gumby
07-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Chicago area. No salt in the air. Lots on the street, but I never rode it when there was any chance of that. Not even warm winter days.

VIN 0793

I'm sure it's condensation. It does get a lot of short trips. Enough to get water vapor in the pipes, but not enough to burn it off.

Still. I wouldn't expect this at this mileage.

Gumby
07-16-2013, 03:32 PM
I took it to the local dealer instead of where I bought it at.

The first thing he says upon seeing the rust is, "maybe they didn't prep it right."

Honestly? You can't look at a problem and see anything else but to blame another dealer?
It clearly has nothing to do with how it was assembled from the crate.

He did take pics and is sending it in. We'll see how it goes.

Anybody else check their pipes yet?

IamBatmanF6B
07-16-2013, 05:45 PM

Yep. Agreed 100%

Gumby
07-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Because an unfinished hole won't rust?

The hole needs to be drilled before its chromed.

And before the ends get all rusted. Maybe I'll try to drill a hole and dab some high heat paint on the edges with the replacements.

Obviously if the bike was a couple of years older i wouldn't care, but it should not do this out of the box.

IamBatmanF6B
07-17-2013, 08:40 AM
Because an unfinished hole won't rust?

The hole needs to be drilled before its chromed.

And before the ends get all rusted. Maybe I'll try to drill a hole and dab some high heat paint on the edges with the replacements.

Obviously if the bike was a couple of years older i wouldn't care, but it should not do this out of the box.

Agreed 100% on your point. I am not happy with the paint finish. Also agree with the hole needing to be drilled before chroming. It doesn't sound like Honda is really addressing any of these issue. Hopefully 2014 models will have a better finish and the exhaust will have a drain hole to drain off the moisture.

Gumby
07-19-2013, 06:11 AM
Honda is going to replace them under the 45 day cosmetic warranty.

The dealer can't get the bike in until next Thursday to do the install, but that's fine.

At first he wanted to have the bike in the shop before they would order the parts. :icon_doh:

I was willing to give him a card number to cover the cost of the tips rather than let my bike be held as a hostage for a week. They went ahead and just ordered them.

Teach
07-19-2013, 07:07 AM
Well once the new arrive you better take them right back off, take them to a good plating company and have them chromed properly. PERSONALLY I like the colored chrome powder coating and would look into that over winter.

ps... rust within 6 months doesn't fall within cosmetic, it falls within "materials and workmanship" and therefore is covered for the entirety of the warranty. I know this because I had a similar issue with a Victory end cap.

pss... some fellas are ceramic coating their pipes on the BMW's, here is a link: http://www.jet-hot.com/coatings/premium-colors/

Gumby
07-19-2013, 04:42 PM
I have chrome powder coat. It doesn't look like chrome.

Honda has typically had very, very good chrome.

I can buy a lot of tips for what it would cost to re-chrome them.

Teach
07-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Gumby, I ain't talking about the cheap azz do it yourself chrome powder coating. Nope talkin the good send it off to the pro's stuff that DOES look like chrome and comes in a VARIETY of different colors. Look into it or don't, your bike, your choice.

As to the "I can buy a lot of tips for what it would cost to re-chrome them" comment? Than why are you posting a bitch, just go buy some more.

Now I really hate to be rude, but seems as though every discourse turns into a whining contest when folks are simply trying to be helpful. Something to ponder..........

Gumby
07-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Gumby, I ain't talking about the cheap azz do it yourself chrome powder coating. Nope talkin the good send it off to the pro's stuff that DOES look like chrome and comes in a VARIETY of different colors. Look into it or don't, your bike, your choice.

As to the "I can buy a lot of tips for what it would cost to re-chrome them" comment? Than why are you posting a bitch, just go buy some more.

Now I really hate to be rude, but seems as though every discourse turns into a whining contest when folks are simply trying to be helpful. Something to ponder..........

I thought you were going away. Are you just trolling now?

Very few of us, as you undoubtedly know can afford to just go drop a couple hundred dollars fixing a part that shouldn't be bad and is under warranty. I know you can. You tell us about it all the time. Your help really isn't.

Phantom
07-19-2013, 09:58 PM
Gentlemen..... :banghead:

Back to the subject of the thread ....

I am a little disturbed to see rust on those tips as well. NOT what I expect from Honda. It's embarrassing to say the least :icon_redface: Should be a warranty claim. Defective chrome or poor prep work.

bobbyf6b
07-19-2013, 10:38 PM
I thought you were going away. Are you just trolling now?

Very few of us, as you undoubtedly know can afford to just go drop a couple hundred dollars fixing a part that shouldn't be bad and is under warranty. I know you can. You tell us about it all the time. Your help really isn't.

:icon_ditto:

Bike44
07-20-2013, 12:57 PM
From the pic it looks like that fastener near the exhaust is also corroded. Are any of the others on the bike showing similar signs/surface discoloration? It may just be those near the exhaust.

It can be hard to chrome a sharp edge like the rolled edge of the exhaust outlet. That may be where the corrosion started, then grew. Still, it should be taken care of by Honda.

Teach
07-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Gumby, nope not trolling at all. I was simply suggesting a couple of options for you (and or others) that may be of some benefit as well as look nice. Ceramic coating, Chrome powder coating, and yep even re-chroming the end caps is not a major expense. Couple the expense of the time wasted running back and forth to the dealer, with aggravation and the $60 to $100 bucks to have your end caps redone in either black or red chrome powder coating ain't bad. I actually think black chrome powder coated end caps would look sharp on either colored bike, and it wouldn't rust again.

Let me give you an idea of where I'm coming from. I had a first year Victory Vision, with all the warts and then some. I found myself running back and forth to the dealer more than going out to enjoy the ride. I also found I spent WAY too much time at the dealer with these issues. So after assessing the agro, lost ride time, back and forth to have the same work redone over and over, I found alternative solutions that would last.
I see some of the F6 owners going down this same path I did with the Vision and I am simply trying to provide simple solutions to decrease or avoid the lost saddle-time and high blood pressure.
Yes I REALIZE these are new bikes, under warranty, paid a lot of money for them and the manufacturer SHOULD make things right, PRINCIPLE!!! I get it, I really do, BUT there comes a point when the principle's should take a back seat and common sense kicks in. If a simple cost effective solution is available, it MIGHT be worth doing rather than cutting off one's nose to spite the face.
In other words not a TROLL at all just trying to provide an OPTION or two that may have a BETTER end result. That is not to say you shouldn't try to force Honda to do the right things, you should, but you also have other options when all else fails.
Enjoy the ride...........