PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Bag Remote Opener

db24
04-03-2015, 10:06 PM
We've talked about this since 2013. Maybe I'm getting a little lazy, but it can be a pain to dig your keys out, unlock the saddle bag lock at the rear of the bike, leave the keys dangling, and then try to remember to lock up and not leave the keys hanging in the rear lock as you walk away. Some of us have made dummy keys with a knob just to open the saddle bag lock; I think some just opted to disconnect the key lock altogether. If you have the Corbin trunk modification like I do, you know it is even harder to open the saddle bags in that case.

Well, Maurice Leblanc from MBL Inovations just developed a remote control kit, see:

I think I received the first kit this afternoon, and it works as advertised. You replace the manual release mechanisms with the electronic versions. Everything you need comes in the kit. Like most things F6B, it almost takes longer to take the rear deck cover and seat off than it does to install the remotes. The bags then can be opened individually with the remote control (a small remote unit for each side is included.)

I like it. There is a potential downside; if your battery is completely dead, the electronic bag releases won't operate. Yes, that means you can't really get at the battery because you can't remove the left side cover unless you open that saddle bag. If you have a battery tender connector hanging out somewhere already as I suspect we all do, then you could simply charge the battery that way. If you don't, you will want to add one. In two years I've never had a battery issue, so I see this as a limited problem.

I've suggested to Maurice that a dual button single remote unit would be more convenient that two separate remotes; other than that this accessory works for me. Maurice is easy to reach via the website if you have questions!

http://www.mblinnovations.com/store/Electronic-Saddlebag-Door-Release-Kit-Remote-Control-16-.htm

badpapi
04-03-2015, 10:21 PM
please keep us posted :popcorn:

Ixol Phaane
04-03-2015, 10:38 PM
I like the idea. But the deal breaker for me is two separate remotes. :no:
Give me a single two-button remote and MBL is gettin' closer to makin' a sale.
OR...
maybe as an option, no remote, and a small dash-mounted rocker switch, you know, L-C-R, to release either or both bags.
Yeah, that's the ticket! :icon_biggrin:

Oh yeah... let's see if we can get the price down a little as well.

Great idea, nonetheless. I do hope the product is successful.
But I think I'll wait for the rev.1 or rev.2 unit. :icon_biggrin:

Cool Hand Luke
04-04-2015, 06:20 AM
This is the kind of innovative thinking I like (not just another chrome cover...), I think it's cool, and the price seems good. I think this may really come handy for guys who bought the Corbin Smuggler as to open saddlebags they have to reach inside the smuggler (and move stuff they have inside to get to the release handles). I too would like to have only one remote, so I may wait to see that happen, but cool product never the less.

Now, if we can just have someone make a power centerstand like I had on my BMW K1200LT...

yellow rex
04-04-2015, 07:03 AM
You can open the bags with a dead battery by removing the seat and using the bypass
leaver at each bag.

db24
04-04-2015, 08:08 AM
One update: Both saddle bags DO open with a single remote. The second remote is simply a duplicate/ backup should you misplace one. Very nice!

stroguy
04-04-2015, 08:22 AM
One update: Both saddle bags DO open with a single remote. The second remote is simply a duplicate/ backup should you misplace one. Very nice!

This makes better sense than a single remote for each bag. Nice product. With this revelation I would be in the market. What's the wrench rating on a scale of 1, easy install to 5, go get the smart neighbor to save you?

db24
04-04-2015, 02:06 PM
This makes better sense than a single remote for each bag. Nice product. With this revelation I would be in the market. What's the wrench rating on a scale of 1, easy install to 5, go get the smart neighbor to save you?

Well, I'd say a 3. Maybe similar in difficulty to adding the 960 fog lights.

If you've taken the seat off before this is really just a few steps further. No drilling, soldering or splicing. Most of the plastic just pops off after you remove two small rear bolts. The saddle bag mechanisms are then exposed. Its a matter of slipping the cables off the old mechanisms, rerouting the cables to the opposite sides, removing two bolts to change over each actuator mechanism (they fit in a new direction but use the existing holes and bolts) and then adding the the wiring. The wiring is very simple; just plugging connections together, no splicing. Already assembled connectors go to your battery terminal, which is right there.) Re-install the plastic covers and seat, and you are done. Other than changing over the actuator mechanisms (save them in case you want to replace them some day) you really are leaving everything else in place, including the key lock cables and mechanism. That will just sit unused.

Now, I've had lots of this apart before and like to tinker, so your experience may very. I'm pretty happy with this mod.

Ixol Phaane
04-04-2015, 04:31 PM

Oh...well...NOW we're talkin'.
Now put the system on sale at about 20% off and I think I'd order up a set.
Let's make it happ'n cap'n. :icon_biggrin:

srt8-in-largo
04-04-2015, 05:04 PM
NICE! It really needs an emergency manual release though... batteries fail... electro-mechanical actuators fail... wiring and connectors fail...

That wouldn't stop me from buying the kit, but this is the first thing id be modding on this mod :icon_biggrin:

BACA
07-16-2015, 10:38 PM
I got tired of the key thing and just installed the MBL Innovations Electronic Saddlebag Remote Opener.........it's awesome.......yes I'm aware of the dead battery syndrome, but I don't really think that is going to be a problem. I'm prepared for it anyway. You can always remove the seat and rear deck and using a pair of pliers pull the cable to open the saddlebag lid in case of an emergency.

It took me about an hour to install and it works great.......can't wait to show my Winger and Harley friends.........

Ride Safe!