PDA

View Full Version : Wind on back

zeus661
04-04-2015, 03:41 PM
I installed Baker hand wings over the winter and because of a knee injury I went 6 months without riding. I have noticed now I feel turbulence on my back pushing me forward while running at highway speeds. I have the Honda tall windshield installed and this happens with or without the vent open and I always ride solo. I would rather not have the feeling of being pushed forward.

Any thoughts?

bobbyf6b
04-04-2015, 03:43 PM
I feel it too even with the Windbender shield. I didn't think about the wings causing that. It goes away with a passenger. :icon_wink:

zeus661
04-04-2015, 03:57 PM
I think the feeling changes a little with the hand wings open but then you get more wind in front.

wantone
04-04-2015, 04:32 PM
I have the Madstad with mirror wings and have the same issue.

DaWadd
04-04-2015, 05:14 PM
Put the National Cycle mirror wings on recently and noticed the same thing riding solo. Honda tall windshield also.

Fla_rider
04-04-2015, 07:03 PM
You need to buy a passenger, then the problem goes away!:crackup:

Seriously, must have to do with the negative air turbulance, I have a vent on my wind screen it lessens the effect.

hiflyer
04-04-2015, 07:17 PM

I am very aware of this issue, because it drives me crazy. Had a couple of BMW's that did this terribly. I have the Madstad and wings and don't notice it. I run my Madstad with more rake than most, could be the reason.

wantone
04-04-2015, 08:14 PM
I am very aware of this issue, because it drives me crazy. Had a couple of BMW's that did this terribly. I have the Madstad and wings and don't notice it. I run my Madstad with more rake than most, could be the reason.

I need to try Different positions for madstad and add some baker lower wings. I'll see if that helps.

ReserveBum
04-05-2015, 07:02 AM
Also have the Madstad with the Baker Hand Wings. I notice it most when its cool/cold out. My back gets cold when the rest of me is fine. Dont feel the pushing of the air but just enough to make it uncomfortable. Bought an electric vest but it has no heating elements in the back.

Spanky
04-05-2015, 07:13 AM
Don't have that issue, I love the hand wings, of course, I'm short, and fat, and old, and wear leather vests, and have a baggershield.

Steve 0080
04-05-2015, 08:48 AM
Don't have that issue, I love the hand wings, of course, I'm short, and fat, and old, and wear leather vests, and have a baggershield.

This resembles most of us !!!!!! :lolup:

edgeman55
04-05-2015, 04:54 PM

19" Vented Baggershield with Baker hand wings under the mirrors and I have no wind to the back.What little turbulance I feel goes away when I open the vent.I'm Tall ,Old and Fat and my F6B fits me just right:yes:

Old Ryder
04-06-2015, 07:00 AM
Well, it is a motorcycle :shrug: and there is wind at 60 MPH. I'm not sure how to fix it all. :icon_mrgreen: I understand the desire to be comfortable all the time (I have hand and leg wings myself) but we are sitting in the open air as we ride down the road. How encapsulated do we expect to be?

Texas TC
04-06-2015, 11:58 AM
Well, it is a motorcycle :shrug: and there is wind at 60 MPH. I'm not sure how to fix it all. :icon_mrgreen: I understand the desire to be comfortable all the time (I have hand and leg wings myself) but we are sitting in the open air as we ride down the road. How encapsulated do we expect to be?

I agree!

bobbyf6b
04-06-2015, 04:43 PM
It's so minimal I barely notice. Once again, this is the kind of stuff we complain about when we ride a near perfect machine. This shouldn't scare anyone out of buying one.

It was a lot worse on my old street glide.

Ixol Phaane
04-06-2015, 07:12 PM

+1

It's all about the fluid dynamics, my friends. Change the flow positively in one way, and something else shows up...usually negative... somewhere else.
Kinda like the way if you spend more $$ on your bike, the less you have to spend on your SO... and we all know the negative consequences of that.

Balance is the word for the day.