PDA

View Full Version : Alligator V2B Inflate Thru Valve Cap

srt8-in-largo
04-04-2015, 08:31 PM
Anybody use these? http://www.myerstiresupply.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=263&

I'm tempted to give it a shot...

srt8-in-largo
04-04-2015, 08:40 PM
I don't see any downsides. It sits on your valve stem like a regular valve cap, until you need to check pressure or add air.

The literature says it adds a safety factor by providing a seal if the Schrader valve fails.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5QXSNsCR7Go/VSCRm57juZI/AAAAAAAACpM/u4X0bOFekkU/s800/V2B%2520Inflate%2520Thru%2520Valve%2520Cap.jpg

Spanky
04-05-2015, 06:52 AM
not quite sure i see the point? valve stems don't fail often, so why not leave the caps off? does the same thing. The pilot in me says redundancy is key, but for the cost, i'll keep the caps. good find, there is obviously a market, or they wouldn't be in business. for me, it's another thing to throw cash at.

srt8-in-largo
04-05-2015, 11:20 AM
I can't see my self leaving valve stem caps off on a bike, especially if I go to a straight stem like I'm considering. I'd agree that Schrader valves are pretty much bullet proof, but there are some cheap knockoffs out there, and Schraders *could* fail even if the odds are remote.

This thing allows me to have a cap AND be able to check tires easier... and if it's easier, I'd likely do it more often.

They're only a bit more than $1 a piece but unfortunately I only see them being sold in bags of 50. I'll have some extra if you wanna try them.

I see some imitation brands out there... but I'd only get the Alligator brand of these.

bobbyf6b
04-05-2015, 11:33 AM
We use these on all our tires/wheels at work. Valve stem leaks can be an issue when you have 18 of them. They are basically a cap that you don't have to remove to check the tire pressure. Very convenient when you have to check a lot of tires. Not a big deal on a bike but won't hurt anything.

ReserveBum
04-05-2015, 11:36 AM
I can't see my self leaving valve stem caps off on a bike, especially if I go to a straight stem like I'm considering. I'd agree that Schrader valves are pretty much bullet proof, but there are some cheap knockoffs out there, and Schraders *could* fail even if the odds are remote.

This thing allows me to have a cap AND be able to check tires easier... and if it's easier, I'd likely do it more often.

They're only a bit more than $1 a piece but unfortunately I only see them being sold in bags of 50. I'll have some extra if you wanna try them.

I see some imitation brands out there... but I'd only get the Alligator brand of these.

Take my word for it....found out the hard way about those cheap knockoffs....they are out there.

srt8-in-largo
04-05-2015, 11:59 AM
I'd say 75% of the time it takes to check the bikes pressure is taking the cap on and off; sure it's only 10 seconds, but it's 10 more seconds that I can be riding :icon_biggrin:

I never saw a firsthand issue with fake valves... but now I have; nothing serious I hope, Reserve. All the more reason for using some sort of sealed valve cap.

bobbyf6b
04-05-2015, 02:15 PM
I'd say 75% of the time it takes to check the bikes pressure is taking the cap on and off; sure it's only 10 seconds, but it's 10 more seconds that I can be riding :icon_biggrin:

I never saw a firsthand issue with fake valves... but now I have; nothing serious I hope, Reserve. All the more reason for using some sort of sealed valve cap.

Go to a truck stop with a tire shop and you should find them. You might even talk the guys into giving you a couple for free.

srt8-in-largo
04-05-2015, 03:00 PM
Ahh... arigato Bobby-san... gracias senor... thank you sir!

Good idea there...

srt8-in-largo
04-05-2015, 04:16 PM
I ordered a couple of these Milton S409 stems from Amazon to get away from the cursed OEM rubber stems with those darn plastic holders.

I was dead set on trying the MotorcycleAnchor stems (http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/tire_valves/index.htm) until I saw a comment from HiFlyer who said he likes the kind with the nut on the OUTSIDE of the rim... and that resonated with me.

I'm a bit familiar with doing shock and vibration testing on assemblies, and many times the forces that get created and the affect on fasteners will amaze you. There are certain shock n vibe conditions that can undo screws and bolts as if they're being worked with invisible tools. Using loctite and proper torquing can lessen such results, but I just don't like the idea of my life being in the hands of an unseen nut.

Heat cycling is another area to consider. Heat causes different materials to expand and contract at different rates. If you get the right nut on the right stud, you may think it's tight, but if your nut expands more than the stud you can face loosening at high temperature.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-PtELzlI_qew/VSFptSCS8FI/AAAAAAAACpg/3oGh4XZaW6g/s800/Milton%2520Industries%2520-%2520S409.jpg

srt8-in-largo
04-07-2015, 01:40 PM
These guys sell the Alligator V2B for $2 a piece...

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/cart/cart.php?keep_https=yes

Old Ryder
04-08-2015, 07:19 AM
Does this happen to you guys? I ride my bike almost every week, even during the winter I will take it out for a 5 or 6 mile run--just because. I pump the tires up to 41 lbs and almost every time between rides it will leak down to 36---never lower than 36lbs. Makes me wonder if somebody is breaking into my garage and letting out EXACTLY 5 lbs of pressure after every ride. It was the same with my 1800 VTX from a few years ago---but none of my Harleys ever did it. :popcorn: This ever happen to you guys? :shrug:

srt8-in-largo
04-08-2015, 11:27 AM
Funny... I *thought* I noticed something like this last summer but I wrote it off to coincidence.

I don't think you're crazy; I'll be watching for this again, both now and after I install my new valve stems.

MAYHEM01
04-08-2015, 11:30 AM
Let us know how it goes Largo because I have that same issue as well

53driver
04-08-2015, 11:46 AM
Mine stay pretty close to 40.
However, I check them every two weeks or before I go on a trip.
In two weeks, I've never had them drop below 38.
I don't usually note the ambient temp when I service them though.
Will have to start paying more attention perhaps - a new column in the psi log entry in the bike's logbook.