PDA

View Full Version : Windshields

Mufassa001
04-04-2015, 09:43 PM
Wow, love the forum, ordered my 2015 F6B, taking a trip from PA to the Florida Keys in May; need feedback on windshields, I'm not one for wind in the face or buffeting and I am certain the stock won't provide protection for the long trip, so how about helping me out with some great feedback, so very much appreciated!!! Keep the Shiny side up!!

F6B1911
04-04-2015, 10:32 PM
Lots of variables when considering replacing your windshield.
Do you have the stock seat?
Do you plan on replacing the seat?
How tall are you?
Do you want to look over or through the windshield?

Do a search on the forum here, there are some great discussions on replacement windshields for the F6B, also, look at the supporting vendors from the main page.
There are several windshield manufacturers supporting this forum.

Travelor
04-04-2015, 10:32 PM
I use a C. Bailey 13", i'm 5'7" and can see over it just fine. Some wind in the face (but no real buffeting) which I'm not used to from my long distance ride (K1200LT). Going to go to the 15" size next month, should fill the bill just fine.

Mufassa001
04-04-2015, 10:44 PM
Lots of variables when considering replacing your windshield.
Do you have the stock seat?
Do you plan on replacing the seat?
How tall are you?
Do you want to look over or through the windshield?

Do a search on the forum here, there are some great discussions on replacement windshields for the F6B, also, look at the supporting vendors from the main page.
There are several windshield manufacturers supporting this forum.

Yes a stock seat
Not replacing the seat for this ride...unsure
5"8" almost lol
look over the slightly

Mufassa001
04-04-2015, 10:45 PM
I use a C. Bailey 13", i'm 5'7" and can see over it just fine. Some wind in the face (but no real buffeting) which I'm not used to from my long distance ride (K1200LT). Going to go to the 15" size next month, should fill the bill just fine.

Will the 15" be able to see over?

Travelor
04-04-2015, 10:49 PM
No, i will be looking through the top inch or so. I prefer that, can always perk up a bit if I have to look over.

Steve 0080
04-04-2015, 11:02 PM
Go with the short MadStad and save yourself some $$$ looking around !

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.11546/.f

Mufassa001
04-05-2015, 05:44 AM
Thanks Steve, I'll checkout the product

F6B1911
04-05-2015, 05:57 AM
Go with the short MadStad and save yourself some $$$ looking around !
http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.11546/.f

+1
I went through four windshields before the Madstad, too bad this wasn't my first purchase.

Doug44
04-05-2015, 06:00 AM

I also have the 13" C.B. am 5'7" short legs but am tall from waist up. I look well over my shield and like you some days wish I would have ordered the 15". However for the spring & summer months I am staying with the 13" but might change this fall. Looking over the shield is a must for me and with a vent in my C.B. shield And Baker Wings under the mirrors I seem good to go this spring. Those Baker Wings are amazing when shut keeping cold wind off your hands and shoulders also.

Spanky
04-05-2015, 07:20 AM
This topic is well discussed on the forum, before plunking down benjamins on something, do a little research. I have a baggershield, mainly because I like having the option of extending it for rain and such. My wife has a klockworks, and she loves it. we also had our seats modifed somewhat, hers lowers 1.5" and pushes her up 2". I just had a heated element and backrest added.

Texas TC
04-05-2015, 08:28 AM
The most popular shields listed on this forum seem to be:
MadStad
C. Bailey's
Clearview
Bagershield
Klockwerks
F4 Customs
Honda OEM Tall

You can easily research any or all of them. You are most probably looking at an 11'-13" shield depending on the model you choose. Happy hunting!

I have used the Honda OEM tall and F4 customs. I prefer the F4 with tint and vent because of its clarity and the ability to clean with household glass cleaners due to its coating. I like to be able to look thru or over the shield so I chose an 18" model.

opas ride
04-05-2015, 10:23 AM
I prefer the Baggershield over the others..5'9" and works great for me...Madstad is also okay if you can live with all the hardware!!...As said above, there are many good choices so do some research and don't spend a lot of money you do not have too....Ride safe

XKnight
04-05-2015, 12:29 PM
National Cycle Vstream is the best one I've tried for wind management with little to no buffeting. I only get buffeting in cross winds which is unavoidable on a bike regardless of windshield used. I look through the shield, but can look over it by changing my seating position. It's made for the Goldwing, but easily installs on the F6 with no modification. I've been through 4 shields before finding the Vstream.

bobbyf6b
04-05-2015, 02:08 PM
The most popular shields listed on this forum seem to be:
MadStad
C. Bailey's
Clearview
Bagershield
Klockwerks
F4 Customs
Honda OEM Tall

You can easily research any or all of them. You are most probably looking at an 11'-13" shield depending on the model you choose. Happy hunting!

I have used the Honda OEM tall and F4 customs. I prefer the F4 with tint and vent because of its clarity and the ability to clean with household glass cleaners due to its coating. I like to be able to look thru or over the shield so I chose an 18" model.

Don't forget Windbender!

nox
04-05-2015, 05:17 PM
+1 on the VStream

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x27/bigbanko/P1020143-resized_zpsc5048d12.jpg (http://s183.photobucket.com/user/bigbanko/media/P1020143-resized_zpsc5048d12.jpg.html)

Billy
04-05-2015, 07:49 PM
Wow, love the forum, ordered my 2015 F6B, taking a trip from PA to the Florida Keys in May; need feedback on windshields, I'm not one for wind in the face or buffeting and I am certain the stock won't provide protection for the long trip, so how about helping me out with some great feedback, so very much appreciated!!! Keep the Shiny side up!!

I recommend the Madstad windshield, completely adjustable, well designed

Mufassa001
04-05-2015, 09:33 PM
Thank you all so much for the feedback, it's not an easy choice as many of you have experienced. I truly appreciate all of the comments, I'd rather make an informed decision than one hoping for the best, I guess in the end, I'll be hoping for the best, lol!! I am waiting to get my bike which makes it harder because I can't check the height sitting on it.

Fla_rider
04-06-2015, 08:56 AM
Thank you all so much for the feedback, it's not an easy choice as many of you have experienced. I truly appreciate all of the comments, I'd rather make an informed decision than one hoping for the best, I guess in the end, I'll be hoping for the best, lol!! I am waiting to get my bike which makes it harder because I can't check the height sitting on it.

Just a last minute thought, the Keys in the summer are hot a lower shield is adviseable. Since Baggershield can convert from 11" to 19" I think, it would work great in PA as well as the Keys. Up for cooler nights no extension for the hot days. I'm 5'7" and my second shield was the Baggershield with flip extension. I now have a Clearview with vent.

Wouldchip
04-06-2015, 12:49 PM
National Cycle Vstream is the best one I've tried for wind management with little to no buffeting. I only get buffeting in cross winds which is unavoidable on a bike regardless of windshield used. I look through the shield, but can look over it by changing my seating position. It's made for the Goldwing, but easily installs on the F6 with no modification. I've been through 4 shields before finding the Vstream.
National Cycle tells me this windshield will not fit properly on my 2015 F6B and they are working on one that will fit and should be out within a couple of months.

53driver
04-06-2015, 12:52 PM
National Cycle tells me this windshield will not fit properly on my 2015 F6B and they are working on one that will fit and should be out within a couple of months.

Did the mount points change on the 2015s?

bobbyf6b
04-06-2015, 04:31 PM
They only say that to cover their butt. All you really need is larger washers. But if you don't want to "make it fit", wait for the F6B model.

XKnight
04-06-2015, 04:50 PM

It fits just fine, just need thicker rubber washers as mentioned above. I actually emailed National about 8 months ago and asked them if they were going to make a specific shield for the F6 and they said they would work on it. I guess they are still working on it, but the Goldwing shield does install easily as is. I did get some scratches under the shield from it rubbing, but was told by a Gold Wing owner that the shield does that on regular Goldwings too.

EZ Ed
04-08-2015, 08:39 PM
Today I had an 18" Wind Wings windshield installed at their shop in Plant City Fl. and I really like it. It is their stock sized GL 1800 replacement shield. No problem and easy install. We used the GL1800 "slider?" type windshield insert washers and smaller nuts. The windshield is similar to the F4 shield. As I have both now-- one on the F6B and one on my GL 1800 I will be able to compare them for wear and Optical clarity. I also had them install their mirror wings. They are 2x stronger, thinker and better made than the baker wings I have on the GL 1800. The metal hangers etc are all stainless steel an visually thicker and stronger looking. Good product and they are attending Wing Ding, Reno and several of the south east GWRRA rallys this season.

Ixol Phaane
04-09-2015, 07:35 PM
I had a BaggerShield 11"/19" convertible... was fine. I looked over the top when it was in short mode. Tall mode made things pretty quiet for me and the GF, but I had to look thru it then.

I just installed a Madstad 11"... nice change for me. Much quieter in the cockpit now, even though I still look over the top of the shield. I haven't use it with the GF on the back, yet... but I suspicion it will be just fine.

So far, I like the Madstad better. I'm 5'8" and using the stock seat.

;2cents2;