PDA

View Full Version : Tire Repair Kit?

Darkknight
07-15-2013, 04:54 AM
Ok, I'm a rookie I admit it. I long ride for me is 150 miles. I'm going to Maine in 20 days and it's going to be about 400 miles that day to get there. That's nothing for you REAL riders.:icon_lol:
I'm probably just over preparing but here is my question...
Do you guys that drive on long tours carry a tire repair kit or am I worrying about nothing?:iduno:
I will be riding 2up plus luggage.

bob109
07-15-2013, 05:12 AM
You can buy a Tire Plug Kit at almost any Auto Store or Wally World for less than $10.00. They are small in size and absolutely priceless when you need one. I have the Slime Kit which includes a small 12 volt air compressor:icon_wink:

Steve 0080
07-15-2013, 07:21 AM
In forty years of riding I have never been left on the side of the rode...now typing this it will be my turn...nothing wrong with being prepared!

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Tires/Tire-Accessories/Valve-Caps/brand/BIKEMASTER/Tire-%26-Tube-Flat-Repair-Kit/p/42095_00000

Yeahoo Whoyah
07-15-2013, 07:32 AM
If you're riding in a small group make sure one carries tire repair supplies. If not in a group then it's up to you to be prepared. My last tire puncture was in 2005 while on a multi-state trip and roadside repair saved the day.

MichaelG
07-15-2013, 08:01 AM
DarkKnight...er...Rookie...er...DarkKnight, rather than make a joke about Steve and Greg never even being to Maine in their lifetime, so they would not know to avoid hitting the occassional moose-turd...or that Bob can intentionally run over the Maine sized moose-turds because his CT on the back will leave a nice thread pattern in the moose-turd...let me be serious:shock: and say that I use...and have used for more than 43 years...the Stop 'n Go Tire Plug Gun Kit. (in the old days, before Steve started riding, it was just wooden tooth picks we stuck in tires:icon_rolleyes:).

I honestly never leave home without it...really...so I carry my Stop n' Go Tire Plug Gun Kit, and a Cycle Pump, everywhere I go, and like my brother from another mother, that now lives in Florida:icon_wink:, I have never been left stranded on the side of the road. I have helped many other riders with this same Plug Gun Kit, and have even bought 10 sets of this every year and give them out to fellow riders as gifts.

http://wingstuff.com/products/3915-stop-go-tubeless-repair-kit?from_search=1

I have this air pump in my motorcycle shop, just sitting on one of the shelves, as a back up:

http://wingstuff.com/products/20123-mini-tire-compressor-300psi-any-12v-source?from_search=1

But this is the Cycle Pump that I use...have had it for more than 10 years...works perfect.

http://www.aerostich.com/cycle-pump-air-compressor.html

GiddyupF6B
07-15-2013, 08:57 AM
I got the "stop and go" off of Amazon and it has everything you need in it for a complete tire repair. I wouldn't get to worried about brand names if I were you. I've owned several different kits and they were basically all the same. The compressors are all the same made in China crap in all the kits.

Texas TC
07-15-2013, 09:02 AM
I carry my Coach.net card. It provides roadside assistance for everything I own from my Winnebago to my F6B.:jerkit:

Deer Slayer
07-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Use the fiber twist type. The steel belts in the tire will cut the rubber plug in half and it will pop out. Watch for moose poop.

MichaelG
07-15-2013, 09:25 AM
The compressors are all the same made in China crap in all the kits.

Er...what did you say ? The Cycle Pump listed above is made in the US of A. I know, because a guy up in the Seattle area is the one that invented this particular pump, and I bought mine from him many years ago.

As stated on the Aerostich website regardindg this Cycle Pump: "The CyclePump is proudly made in the USA from precision crafted aircraft-grade aluminum alloys. We don't use fragile plastic components that can easily break when you drop it on the ground. We've armored the switch and other components so the unit is virtually indestructible. It's truly ready for an around-the-world expedition."

Not everything is made in China these days:clap2:

GiddyupF6B
07-15-2013, 09:47 AM
Er...what did you say ? The Cycle Pump listed above is made in the US of A. I know, because a guy up in the Seattle area is the one that invented this particular pump, and I bought mine from him many years ago.

As stated on the Aerostich website regardindg this Cycle Pump: "The CyclePump is proudly made in the USA from precision crafted aircraft-grade aluminum alloys. We don't use fragile plastic components that can easily break when you drop it on the ground. We've armored the switch and other components so the unit is virtually indestructible. It's truly ready for an around-the-world expedition."

Not everything is made in China these days:clap2:

Let me try that again....all of the pumps that don't cost $100 just for the compressor itself that come in a kit for $60 or less will be the same made in China plastic crap. I stand corrected Miles......:icon_mrgreen:

Yeahoo Whoyah
07-15-2013, 11:00 AM
Greg never even being to Maine in their lifetime,
HaHaHa :icon_biggrin:
Actually one of my favorite Maine stories goes back to 1990 when H-D introduced the then new "Fat Boy" which went on to be a big seller for them. We pulled into the H-D dealer outside Bangor. It was a barn, not a boutique dealer like most all became by the end of the decade. I walked up to the salesman/boss/owner/service manager and asked "what a-yah think of the new Fat Boy". He proceeded to throw me the keys and said "tell me what YOU think". I was stunned, since that sort of thing would not have happened back home in California. Those days ended way before 1990, if they ever existed at all. So he jumped on a yet to be delivered Police FLHTP and led me on a nice ride through the Maine countryside. Good memory.
Greg

Alberta Beagle
07-15-2013, 02:11 PM
I know a few guys, myself included, who use this product. I also carry a plug kit with c02 cartridges as back up in the event I have a leak that the Ride On doesn't stop.

http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html

Beagle

timjoebob
07-15-2013, 03:25 PM
You can buy a Tire Plug Kit at almost any Auto Store or Wally World for less than $10.00. They are small in size and absolutely priceless when you need one. I have the Slime Kit which includes a small 12 volt air compressor:icon_wink:

:agree:

Exactly what I use.

Mustangjake
07-15-2013, 07:04 PM
The last flat I had on my bike knock on wood was 1971 in Tampa off I4 back tire blew , Not sure how I didn't crash I went Up the embankment (because it didn't want to turn) on the side road and rolled back down. That was on my Kawasaki 750 Triple two-stroke, It was a bad machine in its time!
PS: that was my fifth street bike.
And probably the reason I have an artificial knee now!