PDA

View Full Version : Finally got out to test the new KUMHO

DMAGOLDRDR
04-06-2015, 10:31 AM
I mounted up the Kumho Ecsta on my F6B back in December and have been waiting to get out and see how stacked up to the NEXEN I had on my Valkyrie.

First I will must say that after not riding for almost 4 months the tires could have been square and I would have been happy just to be riding, so I will take my first 75 mile ride Saturday out of the testing.
Sunday AM I started out with the psi at 43 because it was only 45degrees out and if i remember correctly we loose one psi for each ten degrees.
I put about 100 miles on and although have more testing to settle on a psi, I feel even the stiffer run flat at 40psi gives a much better ride than the stock tire did at 40. With the temps low and the tire being new I did not push it in the corners to test traction, but noticed very little difference in handling. I am very happy with the Kumho.
Thanks to all that gave me there input on tires and pressures.

I spent most of my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted!

Steve 0080
04-06-2015, 11:05 AM
Glad you could get out...already getting HOT here !!! Good luck with the tire...try 36 *

The best way to check tire pressure is to get some white shoe polish in a squeeze bottle and run a stripe across the tire...drive for 100 yards, staying as straight up as possible...then check the stripe... if all the polish is gone then you have the correct pressure, middle gone, to much, out side gone, to little...hope this helps!!!

DMAGOLDRDR
04-06-2015, 12:30 PM
Glad you could get out...already getting HOT here !!! Good luck with the tire...try 36 *

The best way to check tire pressure is to get some white shoe polish in a squeeze bottle and run a stripe across the tire...drive for 100 yards, staying as straight up as possible...then check the stripe... if all the polish is gone then you have the correct pressure, middle gone, to much, out side gone, to little...hope this helps!!!

Shoe polish,,,,good tip thanks.

DMAGOLDRDR
05-07-2015, 08:34 AM
Now that I have put a few weeks of riding on the Kumho I have settled in on 34 psi and am very happy. The ride is much softer than the stock tire and there is only a slight need for extra input for slow speed maneuvering. Nothing compared to how my Valk Interstate was with a CT.

I had the chance to swap bikes, mid ride, with a friend on his stock 2015 F6B (Thanks again Ed) to really get a feel for the difference between MT and CT. Aside from the initial feel of the first few feet, and slight change in extra counter-steer needed with a CT, the only other difference is a softer ride.

The Kumho is slightly larger than the stock tire. 76" circumference VS the 77" of the Kumho and the Kumho is 1/2 inch wider. Measurements taken with the tires mounted on the rim and aired up. The Stock Bike tire had just under 4000miles on it.

I'm happy with my choice....

Hornblower
05-07-2015, 08:54 AM
Perhaps our resident darkside expert, Bob109, would want to chime in on this as well but I also ran the Kumho tire and was happy with it. I'm glad you settled on lower air pressure though since less is required for the RF. After running the Kumho, I went with the Falken 612 and so far, I like it even better. The grip is truly awesome. Also, the Falken feels more like the stock tire due to a more rounded edge shape. It's not a RF so I am currently running around 37 psi and that seems to work quite well. And, for less than $100, this tire is a great buy.

bob109
05-07-2015, 10:14 AM
Perhaps our resident darkside expert, Bob109, would want to chime in on this as well but I also ran the Kumho tire and was happy with it. I'm glad you settled on lower air pressure though since less is required for the RF. After running the Kumho, I went with the Falken 612 and so far, I like it even better. The grip is truly awesome. Also, the Falken feels more like the stock tire due to a more rounded edge shape. It's not a RF so I am currently running around 37 psi and that seems to work quite well. And, for less than $100, this tire is a great buy.

You folks who are running the Run Flats will find the "sweet spot" between 32/34 PSI. The stiff multi-ply side walls more mirror a cycle tire:icon_wink: I'm just about to change out my General G-Max. I've accumulated just over 30K miles and I'm very close to the "wear bars". The tire IMHO was a wise choice for me. I like the 1 ply sidewall which requires a pressure of 42/43 PSI for my weight and riding style. I have, for the most part, uniform wear across the entire thread/tread face. There's slightly more in the center of the tire due to the higher pressure I run. Nothing dramatic but it's noticeable. I plan on doing a "Tire Autopsy" once the Max is removed and I'll provide a comprehensive post with lots of pics.

Regards and Safe Riding

bob109

valkmc
05-07-2015, 10:37 AM
Now that I have put a few weeks of riding on the Kumho I have settled in on 34 psi and am very happy. The ride is much softer than the stock tire and there is only a slight need for extra input for slow speed maneuvering. Nothing compared to how my Valk Interstate was with a CT.

I had the chance to swap bikes, mid ride, with a friend on his stock 2015 F6B (Thanks again Ed) to really get a feel for the difference between MT and CT. Aside from the initial feel of the first few feet, and slight change in extra counter-steer needed with a CT, the only other difference is a softer ride.

The Kumho is slightly larger than the stock tire. 76" circumference VS the 77" of the Kumho and the Kumho is 1/2 inch wider. Measurements taken with the tires mounted on the rim and aired up. The Stock Bike tire had just under 4000miles on it.

I'm happy with my choice....

I may try the Kumho next...I am currently running the Michelin Alpin and I love it. I initially mounted it on my Gold Wing but removed it when I purchased the F6. I have approximately 30K combined on 3 bikes with a CT. I also felt there was a big difference between a MT and CT on my Valk. I liked the GTT on the Valk but there was a noticeable difference in Handling. Not so much with the Alpin on the 6. I recently switched the CT and MT for a short time and I have to say other than slow speed and knowing the CT is on there is little difference. I run the Michelin at 36-37 PSI, it is a run flat and feels good for me. I did have a valve stem go on the Alpin and I rode it home 6 miles from work flat. Kept it about 35 mph and I could tell it was flat, was a little squirrely but it did it's job. I worried it would get hot so I stopped and checked a couple of times and it was no warmer than the front tire.

hiflyer
05-08-2015, 08:30 PM
I may try the Kumho next...I am currently running the Michelin Alpin and I love it.

I like the Mich myself. I run 34 psi.

ISLANDER1089
05-19-2015, 10:58 AM
I previously owned a 2009 Street Glide. I fitted it with a trailer hitch to tow my 500 lb. loaded Aspen camper trailer. With the stock Harley rear tire the bike was very solid on the road pulling my trailer. I decided to go to the "darkside" before leaving on a one month road trip. Thankfully I did a dry run with the trailer before leaving town. The trailer was wagging the bike all over the road. It was dangerous. Oddly enough the CT was awesome without the trailer. I played with the pressure but nothing helped. My local bike dealer said that the sidewall on the CT was too thin compared to a MT and that was my real problem.
Now my question: Does a run flat CT have stiffer sidewalls and does anybody out there have any experience with CT's and trailer towing?

Steve 0080
05-19-2015, 11:11 AM
I just pulledd a trailer 1200 miles w/ a run flat tire...no issues...and have done this many times as well...hope this helps

valkmc
05-19-2015, 11:40 AM
I just pulledd a trailer 1200 miles w/ a run flat tire...no issues...and have done this many times as well...hope this helps

Me too, I prefer my CT when pulling the trailer. Feels very stable and I think it is better in the rain. I have the Michelin Alpin 38 psi.

ISLANDER1089
05-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys. Could you recommend a tire brand and size for trailer towing please?

wjduke
05-19-2015, 12:20 PM
I previously owned a 2009 Street Glide. I fitted it with a trailer hitch to tow my 500 lb. loaded Aspen camper trailer. With the stock Harley rear tire the bike was very solid on the road pulling my trailer. I decided to go to the "darkside" before leaving on a one month road trip. Thankfully I did a dry run with the trailer before leaving town. The trailer was wagging the bike all over the road. It was dangerous. Oddly enough the CT was awesome without the trailer. I played with the pressure but nothing helped. My local bike dealer said that the sidewall on the CT was too thin compared to a MT and that was my real problem.
Now my question: Does a run flat CT have stiffer sidewalls and does anybody out there have any experience with CT's and trailer towing?
Late to the dance but a run flat CT definitely has thicker sidewalls that a normal one...maybe double.

Steve 0080
05-19-2015, 01:41 PM
I run a, 195/55R16 Michelin Alpin, 32* in flat land and 36* in the mountains

ISLANDER1089
05-19-2015, 02:49 PM
Steve, thanks for the response. Is this a run flat tire with thicker side walls?

Steve 0080
05-19-2015, 03:28 PM
Yes... a snow tire !!! :yikes:

BIGLRY
05-19-2015, 07:10 PM
Yes... a snow tire !!! :yikes:Ain't you afraid it might melt in the FL sun?;sunny;

I've been running a CT on a few of my M/C for many years, way longer than it became known as "darksiding".
I don't promote nor discourage darksiding or even post about it very often.
I believe every rider has to make up their own mind about darksiding, but what I have been know to do is let a guy ride one of my scoots with a CT and not tell him it is on there until they get off the bike.:icon_lol:
Some of the responses I have gotten are hilarious and one fellow wanted to come to blows thinking I had endangered his life by not telling him there was a CT on the rear, but could not fault the ride and notice no difference.
There is a difference when you put a CT on a M/C, but you sure as hell ain't going to crash and burn and go up in a puff of smoke as some naysayers speculate, in fact I have not seen one report of any darksider crashing due solely to running a CT verses a M/C tire on the back of a M/C, yea some guys don't like the feel, but there again each to their own.
I have not put a C/T on the F6 yet, but it will get one when new skins are needed.

stroguy
05-19-2015, 08:05 PM
This is a valuable thread. Keep it coming. I have a buddy at work that is crazy nuts against a car tire. He becomes visibly upset to the point of vomiting when we discuss this.

bob109
05-19-2015, 08:58 PM
This is a valuable thread. Keep it coming. I have a buddy at work that is crazy nuts against a car tire. He becomes visibly upset to the point of vomiting when we discuss this.

Just replaced my General G-Max CT after 30,300 miles! According to the critics I should have crashed and burned several times over. I'm so terrified that the replacement tire is another G-Max. This is a non-run flat tire with a single sidewall. I love the 480 Thread/Tread Wear Rating along with A Temperature and A Traction Ratings. It's speed rated to 140MPH. There isn't a motorcycle tire made that carries any of these ratings, period! The critics haven't a inkling about what they are missing. So be it. I personally don't endorse Dark Side Riding but for me it's the only way to fly:icon_wink: With the Bridgestone Battlax BT45 on the front, I have the critics $hitting themselves:stirthepot:

shooter
05-19-2015, 10:02 PM
Bob turned me on to the G-Max and I thought it was great. Riding two up I ran 45 in the G and it handled really well. I still have the G mounted on my spare rim. I put chrome rims on the B and being a tire dealer I had to try the Alpin. Its great as well. I'm running 38 two up on the Michelin. I love the CT and the handling is great. Riding two up with gear I especially enjoy the higher load rating I get with the CT. For me its a win win.