PDA

View Full Version : Madstad or Windbender

Vol1chuck
04-07-2015, 08:55 AM
I know the windshield thing has been done to death, but I'd really like real life info about these two windshields. I've got the baggershield and it does a good job. At speed, though, I really need the convertible part flipped up for good protection, which is not really a problem, but I'd certainly like the same type of protection without the added height if possible. So, the question is, for those who have had both the baggershield and one of the "split screen" windshields, does that technology really work as advertised?

Steve 0080
04-07-2015, 10:14 AM
The MadStad has been out for a while, the windbender not so long...I have been thru some shields and the MadStad, to me is the best... then again, I have not riden behind the Windbender...who knows maybe my next shield....

To all here, come to the rally, and look at what people have done to their bikes...see what you like and don't...see if you can ride their bike... I for one offered anyone to ride my bike to check out the Progressive Mono Tubes, I was charging $.50....

bobbyf6b
04-07-2015, 11:43 AM
I started with a Baggershield and decided on the Wndbender. It works as advertised and I love it. The main difference is functionality and looks. The Madstad is supposed to be more effective since the front screen is adjustable forward but some don't like the look. I chose the Wndbender because I like the way it follows the line of the bike. The only thing I wish I had is a vent.

Injun Joe
04-07-2015, 11:50 AM
I started with a Baggershield and decided on the Wndbender. It works as advertised and I love it. The main difference is functionality and looks. The Madstad is supposed to be more effective since the front screen is adjustable forward but some don't like the look. I chose the Wndbender because I like the way it follows the line of the bike.

I'm trying to talk myself into the Madstad, but ultimately will likely end up going the same route. Money be damned!

Vol1chuck
04-07-2015, 12:25 PM
I started with a Baggershield and decided on the Wndbender. It works as advertised and I love it. The main difference is functionality and looks. The Madstad is supposed to be more effective since the front screen is adjustable forward but some don't like the look. I chose the Wndbender because I like the way it follows the line of the bike. The only thing I wish I had is a vent.

Well, that's what I love about this forum. Thanks for the input. I will ask this, though...why the desire for the vent? I thought the whole idea of the vent in a windshield was to equalize the pressure in front of and behind the screen to eliminate buffeting.

bobbyf6b
04-07-2015, 12:30 PM
I'm trying to talk myself into the Madstad, but ultimately will likely end up going the same route. Money be damned!

It was definitely worth it. I also spent the extra money for the spring adjusters. Much easier to adjust the shield and less rattling. Mine only rattles slightly on a slow bumpy road. At normal road and highway speeds it's silent. If you really want to spend some coin get the electric option.

Fla_rider
04-07-2015, 05:18 PM
I started with the baggershield and now I have the Clearview. The little curve at the top sends the turbulance over the helmet.

JBnAZ
04-07-2015, 06:58 PM
I'm with Steve - Madstad works very, very well for riding solo or two up. Hear my stereo clearly up to top end. It's a bit funky looking - but so am I. The varying ways you can adjust this windscreen is superior to others - in my opinion. And I still look over it not through it whichnI prefer.

You will most likely be happy with either choice.

JB

vstar09
04-07-2015, 07:05 PM
I started with the bagger shield and am now with the Windbender. In the up position the protection of the Bagger Shield was great but I really don't like looking thru a windshield.....I like the adjustability of the windbender and so far it seems to do the job....but only been out twice so far this year....time will tell...as Bobby says the spring adjusters are a must...a little rattle at slow speeds on a bumpy road but not bad....As soon as it warms up some and I have a few days off gonna give it the BIG Test out on the interstate..... No matter what you go with get a set of hand wings...

bobbyf6b
04-07-2015, 08:57 PM
Well, that's what I love about this forum. Thanks for the input. I will ask this, though...why the desire for the vent? I thought the whole idea of the vent in a windshield was to equalize the pressure in front of and behind the screen to eliminate buffeting.

I had a shield for a little while with a vent and it was nice to have a little breeze on my chest in the heat. That's what I miss, but you can't have it all right? I think it's worth the trade off.

srt8-in-largo
04-07-2015, 09:14 PM

To all here, come to the rally, and look at what people have done to their bikes...see what you like and don't...see if you can ride their bike... I for one offered anyone to ride my bike to check out the Progressive Mono Tubes, I was charging $.50....

The Rally is the weekend prior to Labor Day (Sep 7) right?

hiflyer
04-07-2015, 09:43 PM
The Madstad is supposed to be more effective since the front screen is adjustable forward but some don't like the look. I chose the Wndbender because I like the way it follows the line of the bike. .

I have mine about as close to the lines of the bike, as it's going to get. Notice also this shield is cut different at the bottom. I bought it from another forum member who didn't want the stock w/s cutout like everyone gets, and special ordered it. I like it better, and I think this position along with this shield is the best position I have tried for eliminating noise and turbulence. I look several inches over it.

imported_NMRed
04-07-2015, 09:59 PM
Had the baggershield, now have the Madstad and am not looking for anything else. Works as advertised or better.It is the least over-hyped accessory I've ever put on a bike, it just plain works.

Steve 0080
04-07-2015, 11:58 PM
The Rally is the weekend prior to Labor Day (Sep 7) right?

Yews, there will be a few of us ride up together from FLA...leaving on the 3rd...

TnHeath
04-10-2015, 10:16 AM
I started with the baggershield and now I have the Clearview. The little curve at the top sends the turbulance over the helmet.

My experience also. :icon_ditto::

Riknchar
04-10-2015, 01:29 PM
Wow, it seems that as lot of us have travelled the exact same path! I initially tried the Baggershield 11 inch (didn't get the flip up clear upper portion, because I can't stand to look through a windshield while on a bike). I was unhappy with the buffeting and general lack of wind protection with the Baggershield, so I went with the Windbender HPS 11 inch, and I LOVE it! I had the Windbender on my last full-up GL1800, so I knew how well it worked.

I definitely look over the windshield by 4-6 inches, and the majority of the wind goes right over my head at highway speed. At lower speeds, I do get just enough breeze to be pleasant.

The only problem I had was I had to cut new holes in the base portion of my Windbender in order to enable the base to be at what I felt was the proper height. I'm not sure if I was shipped the wrong version of the base shield (might have accidentally received the GL1800 version instead of the F6B version), but it was definitely way too high using the pre-cut holes.

Anyway, I do highly recommend the Windbender as an option. I have no experience to compare the Madstad, though, and that one also looks pretty effective.

naga viper
04-10-2015, 01:34 PM

Yes you can have your cake and eat it too.
Madstad and baker hand wings and the bakers will give you all that you desire for on those warm days!

DaWadd
04-11-2015, 08:13 AM
I have the Honda tall screen and find it very good but having put on a Mustang seat I'm finding that the top edge is right at my sight line. Will be looking at getting a Madstad.

srt8-in-largo
04-11-2015, 10:45 AM
I have the Honda tall screen and find it very good but having put on a Mustang seat I'm finding that the top edge is right at my sight line. Will be looking at getting a Madstad.

What size are you thinking? The 11" Madstad can potentially sit high enough to block your line of sight too... I don't know how tall you are.

I *think* Madstad has a fair return/exchange policy but you might wanna call and check. I'd try the 11" first (unless you're as tall as Sasquatch) and hopefully be able to exchange for a 13" if needed.

F6B1911
04-11-2015, 02:22 PM
I had the Honda tall windshield installed before I took delivery of my F6B, then tried a few other windshields.
I didn't try the Windbender.
None gave me the wind protection I wanted.
Took my first ride with the Madstad this morning.
It's probably what Honda should have put on the F6B as the OEM windshield.
The wind protection is great, and yes, the radio is louder.
No more windshield purchases for me, the Madstad is perfect.

Ixol Phaane
04-11-2015, 02:29 PM
I have mine about as close to the lines of the bike, as it's going to get. Notice also this shield is cut different at the bottom. I bought it from another forum member who didn't want the stock w/s cutout like everyone gets, and special ordered it. I like it better, and I think this position along with this shield is the best position I have tried for eliminating noise and turbulence. I look several inches over it.

Had the baggershield, now have the Madstad and am not looking for anything else. Works as advertised or better.It is the least over-hyped accessory I've ever put on a bike, it just plain works.

+1
I've been riding behind a BaggerShield for some time now. I recently got a Madstad, and though it's only been installed for a few days and several hundred miles, it is definitely a step up from the fixed shield. I do believe the airflows work as Madstad claims. See my recent thread about this HERE. (http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?5490-Madstad-made-my-radio-louder)

motozeke
04-11-2015, 03:59 PM
I'm with Steve - Madstad works very, very well for riding solo or two up. Hear my stereo clearly up to top end. It's a bit funky looking - but so am I. The varying ways you can adjust this windscreen is superior to others - in my opinion. And I still look over it not through it whichnI prefer.

You will most likely be happy with either choice.

JB

Madstad is the real deal. I'm frankly stunned at how well it works, and I think the dark tint looks great on the bike.

DaWadd
04-12-2015, 08:59 AM
What size are you thinking? The 11" Madstad can potentially sit high enough to block your line of sight too... I don't know how tall you are.

I *think* Madstad has a fair return/exchange policy but you might wanna call and check. I'd try the 11" first (unless you're as tall as Sasquatch) and hopefully be able to exchange for a 13" if needed.

I'm 6 feet and 34 inseam. Going by Madstads instructions a 13" is what I need. Any comments. Don't want to look thru shield.

srt8-in-largo
04-12-2015, 07:24 PM
I'm 6 feet and 34 inseam. Going by Madstads instructions a 13" is what I need. Any comments. Don't want to look thru shield.

Hmm, so you're all leg and no torso :icon_biggrin:

All kidding aside, I'd be hard pressed to say which would be better for you... 11" or 13"... considering too that you're placing emphasis on not looking through it. I'm 5'10" with 32" inseam, and it seems the difference in our heights is mostly in the leg; if this is true, we might have the same "head height" when seated on the bike.

With my 11" Madstad adjusted all the way UP I can see the ground about 30 or 40 feet in front of the bike. As someone else who doesn't like looking through a shield, I'm satisfied with that. With the 13" Madstad adjusted all the way DOWN, would you still be able to see 30 or 40 feet? Possibly, but I really don't know.

Seems like a tough call DW; but hope that helps.

EDIT: I have the OEM seat btw.

DaWadd
04-13-2015, 07:50 AM
Thanks, I sent Madstad an email asking what they suggest.If you get a chance could you give me a vertical measurement of the shield all the way up. A good reference point is from the flat spot by the small Honda logo on the dash.:yes:

srt8-in-largo
04-13-2015, 09:33 AM
Thanks, I sent Madstad an email asking what they suggest.If you get a chance could you give me a vertical measurement of the shield all the way up. A good reference point is from the flat spot by the small Honda logo on the dash.:yes:

I like the way you think; I also like using the Honda logo for reference.

I see about 15.5" with my 11" in the up position; of course this varies a little bit with the rake adjustment. It's very close to the height of a large Clearview, which I also use on the bike.

DaWadd
04-13-2015, 09:42 AM
You're the greatest, thanks..notworthy.

stukatz
04-13-2015, 11:30 AM

DaWadd,

I have the 13" Madstad (clear). I'm 6'01" tall, 32 inseam. I first installed the WS all the way up and at the recommended 60 degrees. IMO, it worked to too well. Very little wind. I lowered the windshield about an inch and set it to 55 degrees to get a little more air/windflow.
Even with it all the way up, I still looked over it.

I can tell you this; absolutely no buffetting.

It did take a while to get used to the separated (two piece) windshield and I know it's not as sleek at the others, but I forget about that when I ride. I'm now used to it. I bought the clear because I figured it was less noticable.

Hope this helps.

DaWadd
04-13-2015, 12:08 PM
Great info, thanks.

Jayrock
04-13-2015, 12:36 PM
I like the way you think; I also like using the Honda logo for reference.

I see about 15.5" with my 11" in the up position; of course this varies a little bit with the rake adjustment. It's very close to the height of a large Clearview, which I also use on the bike.

Why do you use both Clearview and Madstad? Is there a purpose, or do you just like to change it up a bit sometimes?

bobbyf6b
04-13-2015, 06:04 PM
I was checking out the Madstad site last night. They have a new shield for the 15 Road Glide that has a quick detach option. So the top shield can be removed whenever you want. Would be a cool option for the F6B.

srt8-in-largo
04-13-2015, 07:43 PM
Why do you use both Clearview and Madstad? Is there a purpose, or do you just like to change it up a bit sometimes?

No purpose, yes just changing it up at times and I also wanted to see how the Clearview did.

The large Clearview is pretty darn good... but Madstad wins for better protection :icon_biggrin:

DaWadd
04-14-2015, 10:56 AM
Couldn't resist. 13" medium grey Madstad ordered."coffee"

Ixol Phaane
04-14-2015, 11:08 AM
Couldn't resist. 13" medium grey Madstad ordered."coffee"

:yes:
I think you'll be happy with that decision. It may take a little trial and error to find the bracket settings that work best, but the cool thing about that is it only takes a few seconds to loosen the knobs and adjust it. Stupid simple! The instructions give a good starting point.

I took a few minutes last night to change the pivot points on mine, but the short ride I took this a.m. confirmed this position is even better than the first. :icon_biggrin: