PDA

View Full Version : Torn Vinyl

Injun Joe
04-07-2015, 09:01 PM
I managed to catch the lace hook on my right boot on the back of my Mustang seat tearing a little V in it. I'm sick about it. I know the ghetto thing to do would be duct tape, but is there a better way to patch the vinyl a little short of getting it replaced. I was wondering about that spray sealant the guy uses on the late night infomercials maybe?

srt8-in-largo
04-07-2015, 09:04 PM
Ah man! Sorry to hear.

I don't have a recommendation as I haven't been in the market for this type of repair, but I think miracles can be performed nowadays. I'm sure there's a product out there that can make this brand new again.

hiflyer
04-07-2015, 09:06 PM
I managed to catch the lace hook on my right boot on the back of my Mustang seat tearing a little V in it. I'm sick about it. I know the ghetto thing to do would be duct tape, but is there a better way to patch the vinyl a little short of getting it replaced. I was wondering about that spray sealant the guy uses on the late night infomercials maybe?

It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I know there is a product for repairing vinyl. You can even texture it. One place you might try, and this is really out there, is Walgreens on the aisle where all the goofy tv ad products are displayed. Or...you might check with an upholstery guy, but whatever you do, don't do anything until you find the right product or the right guy to fix it. Don't despair, it can be fixed.

shooter
04-07-2015, 09:07 PM
Hey Joe do yourself a favor and find a local upholstery shop. They can work miracles.

hiflyer
04-07-2015, 09:13 PM
I was wondering about that spray sealant the guy uses on the late night infomercials maybe?

That stuff is for use only if you want to make an unsinkable boat out of your F6.'surfing'

Ericb445
04-07-2015, 09:25 PM
I have fixed a cig burn on my trucks tonneau cover before with pretty good results.
I think I bought the vinyl repair kit at a local auto parts place its been a while ago.

Phantom
04-07-2015, 09:31 PM
I think I bought the vinyl repair kit at a local auto parts place its been a while ago.

X2

I repaired a torn honda vinyl seat a few years ago with a simple repair kit that I found at a local Auto Parts store.
I did have to remove the vinyl from the seat to repair it.

Good Luck

fxdl2051
04-08-2015, 02:17 AM

I know your pain. Try a fabric shop, they used to have vinyl repair kits, you applied them from the inside of the material so you might have to take the seat cover off. Probably get it from a local upholstery outlet too. Recall fixing my KZ seat with one of these, aeons ago.

richw56
04-08-2015, 06:17 AM
If you didn't already do it, you might want to get started by Googling 'vinyl repair kits' - it will yield a lot of results, and give you a good idea of what's available.

Old Ryder
04-08-2015, 06:46 AM
Hey Joe do yourself a favor and find a local upholstery shop. They can work miracles.

+1. I had the exact same thing happen on my Ultra Classic backrest. The upholstery shops have a fix Trust me on this one.

Ridlikhel
04-08-2015, 08:18 AM
+1. I had the exact same thing happen on my Ultra Classic backrest. The upholstery shops have a fix Trust me on this one.

That's the route I would take.

Injun Joe
04-08-2015, 04:26 PM
So... the news isn't great. I'll probably get another quote or two but as it stands, I'm looking at $150 - $200 "to fix it right." All the patch stuff is being discounted as something you would do if you were looking to sell the bike. I guess my next step is going to be taking the Mustang off and putting the stock seat back on so it doesn't get worse. That or maybe I'll buy some patch kit and try it myself. Can't make it worse to repair I'm thinking since they're looking at replacing the whole panel. I may just give Mustang a call as well. /heavy sigh

Steve 0080
04-08-2015, 04:40 PM
Have you contacted Mustang and asked if they could help ??? Hey Rick !!!!!

Injun Joe
04-08-2015, 04:55 PM
Have you contacted Mustang and asked if they could help ??? Hey Rick !!!!!

Yeah. 1/3 of sales price of $611 for them to send out a cover for someone local to put on. 1/2 sales price for them to do it -- plus shipping both directions of course. What I'd be buying is the knowledge it was "as new." But it wouldn't' be cheaper than a local repair.

Doug44
04-08-2015, 05:12 PM
Yeah. 1/3 of sales price of $611 for them to send out a cover for someone local to put on. 1/2 sales price for them to do it -- plus shipping both directions of course. What I'd be buying is the knowledge it was "as new." But it wouldn't' be cheaper than a local repair.

Damn big of em huh :no:
I bet if they would fix it as a compliment repair and of course you wouldn't tell anybody they did this for you (except everyone you know) or even at cost it sure would be great PR.

Injun Joe
04-08-2015, 05:35 PM
Damn big of em huh :no:
I bet if they would fix it as a compliment repair and of course you wouldn't tell anybody they did this for you (except everyone you know) or even at cost it sure would be great PR.

Hell, I just asked if they would cross ship a replacement and they acted as though I was out of my mind. lol

srt8-in-largo
04-08-2015, 08:09 PM
If you keep looking you'll find an inexpensive DIY solution that you'll like...

F6Pilot
04-08-2015, 11:33 PM
I actually upholstered for 15 or so years. None of the vinyl patch kits ever held up and especially on an item that will be stressed/stretched on a regular basis. Depending on where the tear is located, you may be able to remove the cover and have a strategically placed emblem, logo, etc embroidered or stitched over the top. Mustang is a little to proud of their cover if they think $3 worth of vinyl will sell for $200.

Injun Joe
04-09-2015, 02:35 PM
I actually upholstered for 15 or so years. None of the vinyl patch kits ever held up and especially on an item that will be stressed/stretched on a regular basis. Depending on where the tear is located, you may be able to remove the cover and have a strategically placed emblem, logo, etc embroidered or stitched over the top. Mustang is a little to proud of their cover if they think $3 worth of vinyl will sell for $200.

I really like your idea of a patch. But then I got to looking at the tear and I don't think it would work being on the seam and all, do you think?

F6Pilot
04-09-2015, 03:59 PM
It appears to be right at rather than in the seam which would not affect the durability. I will however agree though that if it were further back in the flat space it would be more feasible for some "custom embroidery". A good shop could still possibly topstitch an accent panel or piece in that area like maybe a carbon fiber or snakeskin print vinyl. Anyway, just some options. If you just want it to hold up for a while, gently shove a small piece of duct or double stick tape under the rip to somewhat hold it together, dab in a little super glue to bridge the tear, and touch up any exposed white fiber backing with a Sharpie. That's all I've got.

If its any consolation, I scratched both of the freshly painted VTX specific bags on my 1300R within 45 days. The right side lid got the boot clasp just like yours during a dismount and the front of the left bag felt the wrath of a serrated .45 backstrap. It only hurt for a few days...

Injun Joe
04-13-2015, 05:11 PM
It appears to be right at rather than in the seam which would not affect the durability. I will however agree though that if it were further back in the flat space it would be more feasible for some "custom embroidery". A good shop could still possibly topstitch an accent panel or piece in that area like maybe a carbon fiber or snakeskin print vinyl. Anyway, just some options. If you just want it to hold up for a while, gently shove a small piece of duct or double stick tape under the rip to somewhat hold it together, dab in a little super glue to bridge the tear, and touch up any exposed white fiber backing with a Sharpie. That's all I've got.

If its any consolation, I scratched both of the freshly painted VTX specific bags on my 1300R within 45 days. The right side lid got the boot clasp just like yours during a dismount and the front of the left bag felt the wrath of a serrated .45 backstrap. It only hurt for a few days...

Thanks for the repair suggestion Pilot. I gave it a few days, but just now decided to give it a go. What did I have to lose, right? It doesn't look half bad. Not great, but for sure better than tape or something hideous like that. Now to see if it holds up through the riding season. I'm still thinking I'll get it fixed proper come winter time again. Anyway, thanks! So far, so good.

Spanky
04-14-2015, 09:20 AM
I had mean city cycles work on both seats. They may be able to help. I was very pleased with their pricing. They are located in nc, by hickory.

Injun Joe
04-14-2015, 12:31 PM
I had mean city cycles work on both seats. They may be able to help. I was very pleased with their pricing. They are located in nc, by hickory.

I was very tempted to have them work on my stock seat before running into a deal on the Mustang. Even Mustang says that their F6B seat is the most complicated they make which I found interesting. So one option I could see is going back to a Mean City stock rework. But I'd want them to make the rider portion very similar to the Mustang if I did that. I've come to love how the high back really functions as a backrest. That's the best part of the Mustang as far as I'm concerned.

Spanky
04-14-2015, 02:30 PM
I was very tempted to have them work on my stock seat before running into a deal on the Mustang. Even Mustang says that their F6B seat is the most complicated they make which I found interesting. So one option I could see is going back to a Mean City stock rework. But I'd want them to make the rider portion very similar to the Mustang if I did that. I've come to love how the high back really functions as a backrest. That's the best part of the Mustang as far as I'm concerned.

We had them add heat and backrest to mine, and move my wife forward 2" and down 1.5". they did great!