PDA

View Full Version : Tire mileage

seadog
04-09-2015, 05:23 AM
Being new to the forum and haven't even pick up the new bike yet as the dealer is modifying it a bit. What kind of tire mileage are you experiencing out of the F6B?

Texas TC
04-09-2015, 07:29 AM
Personally, I have found the Bridgestones to be great tires. My experience has been 20,000 out of front tire and 15,000-16,000 out of the rear if you run 40-41 pounds of air in both tires. I am about ready for my third rear tire and am approaching 16,000 miles since the last change. I have some more miles left before thinking of changing to the third front tire.

Sorcerer
04-09-2015, 08:37 AM
14,300 front tire was at wear bars. Just put my second rear on. I have yet to run through a complete rear tire yet. Not knowing how far a rear would go I changed my rear before a long weekend last year. Replaced both tires this spring. Leaving this month for a week and a half and again was not willing to find the end of the rear tire while out on the road.

Steve 0080
04-09-2015, 08:43 AM
Personally, I have found the Bridgestones to be great tires. My experience has been 20,000 out of front tire and 15,000-16,000 out of the rear if you run 40-41 pounds of air in both tires. I am about ready for my third rear tire and am approaching 16,000 miles since the last change. I have some more miles left before thinking of changing to the third front tire.

+1... it comes down to air pressure and are you a freak about checking it, I am ! I took the front off with 20K on it and it would have gone another 2-3K... back not so much, may have something to do with jack rabbit starts ?

shooter
04-09-2015, 08:49 AM
Steve is right air pressure is the key. I know guys that don't check air pressure all summer. One day they look down and 'Oh my gosh my tire is choppy'. I check air pressure every time I ride.

yellow rex
04-09-2015, 09:12 AM
Mileage also depends on load, do ride 2 up or single and will you be pulling
a trailer, on my regular wing I get 20000 on the rear and 17000 on the front
and I am a Bridgestone man.
I have a little over 17000 on the B no tires yet.

srt8-in-largo
04-09-2015, 12:38 PM
Welcome aboard SeaDog; congrats on getting your 6 soon.

I was at the wear bars on my rear at 11,000 miles; at 12,000 miles the tire carcass was showing in several places. Be mindful of that; once the rear is low on tread, the rubber goes real quick.

I'm at the wear bars now on my fronts at 14,000 miles; I have a new one coming today and will be changing it soon.

FWIW, other than maybe darksiding, I'm not aware of any other tire compelling enough to switch away from the OEM Bridgestone tires; they're pretty darn good.

FlaMike
04-09-2015, 02:34 PM

Exactly what he said, Same miles and tire pres. Replaced with oe Stones. I do watch tire pres but not every ride.
Note: I do ride solo most of the time (Wife rides her own)

.welcome20.

Texas TC
04-15-2015, 08:31 AM
Well, I am having to replace the rear tire this weekend. At almost 16,000 miles on this tire, I still have a few hundred to a thousand miles left in it but I picked up a nail. I cannot praise these Stones enough. After running Dunlop tires for many years on Harleys, I never got over 10,000 miles on rear tires. So my new Bridgestone rear tire is in transit to be installed Saturday.

Ebony Deluxe
04-15-2015, 11:54 AM
Currently on my second rear OEM tire changed at 17,740 still with some rubber. On the front, still running original OEM at 24,269 with wear bars showing, but not flush with tire. My wife and I work together, thus commute together 80% of time. Would not change brands.

edgeman55
04-15-2015, 12:38 PM
Another thumbs up here for the Bridgestones as my rear looks like will go well over 10K and the front at 10K does not look half worn.I'm a big boy at 380lbs so for you normal sized folks I measure up to two up weight plus these tires do well in all weather conditions.Can't really see for the price how anything will do much better in the motorcycle tire range.

sshake1905
04-15-2015, 03:27 PM
I'm also very interested to see how many miles these BStone stock tires go.....I just got my F6 last August and only have 5500 miles....

Frequent tire pressure checking, and load on the bike, plus how each person rides are keys to what type of tire life we all get.....BUT...the other major keys is the quality, or it seems lately, the lack of quality of the roads and highways you use a majority of the time.....

In the region I live in...most major roads and highway, with the exception of some Interstate Highways, have chipseal surfaces....a velcro coat of chip rock to make for better winter traction and longer road surface life....BUT...murder on the average soft and sticky compound of most motorcycle tires....

In last 10 years, riding a VTX 1300 with bias ply tires, I never got to the 12K on the rear tire...with Dunlops, Metzler 880 and others....watched tire pressure weekly....older and 65 to 70 mph rider...

Really interested to see what miles I can get out of these BStone radials on the F6B,,,,

Shaker

srt8-in-largo
04-15-2015, 08:50 PM
FWIW, being the geek that I am I measured the tread depth on both my new 704 and 709.

new 704 rears: tread depth = 300 mils (or 3/10", or 7.6 mm)

new 709 fronts: tread depth = 175 mils (or 1.75/10", or 4.4 mm)

encinoman
04-15-2015, 09:15 PM
Changed my rear tire at a little over 14,000 miles...The front still looks good at 16,776.
Going to keep an eye on the front,,Getting close
Front 41lbs - Rear 41lbs. Check pressures a lot (ride to work everyday, Rain or Shine!!!).

F6Pilot
04-15-2015, 11:10 PM
Well, I guess I'm the oddball and will skew the average. I got 8856 out of the rear and about to replace the front at 12000. I maintain pressure weekly but ride it like I stole it most of the time.

Fla_rider
04-16-2015, 01:48 PM
Just over 12k have not changed yet. Front and back 41. the Back may happen in a couple of months as I'm riding to CT. It seems the tires last longer on the black models. Apparently it's has to do with them not going as fast!:crackup::stirthepot:

Kurare79
04-16-2015, 02:42 PM
Do you have wonder rubber on your Bridgestones? I changed the first at about 10.000km/6200miles and the second also at 20.000km/12.400miles. Both times front and rear tire. In my bureacratic country we go to have at least 1.6mm of tread depth. But as i just read on wikipedia the tread wear indicators in the US show up at 0.8mm. Can you confirm that? So you are allowed to ride your rubber longer than i do. (Which could explain why you are making more miles on them.)

Brian D
04-16-2015, 05:59 PM
Well I must confess. Didn't check the pressure much at all on the rear. Just replaced the rear 2days ago and it only had 7200 miles and it was But I ride it pretty hard. I'm just gonna say F-it and change the front in a few days. I'm def gonna check the new one a lot more this year.

srt8-in-largo
04-16-2015, 07:59 PM
Do you have wonder rubber on your Bridgestones? I changed the first at about 10.000km/6200miles and the second also at 20.000km/12.400miles. Both times front and rear tire. In my bureacratic country we go to have at least 1.6mm of tread depth. But as i just read on wikipedia the tread wear indicators in the US show up at 0.8mm. Can you confirm that? So you are allowed to ride your rubber longer than i do. (Which could explain why you are making more miles on them.)

True, the height of the wear bar is about 0.8mm. However, professional recommendation is to replace the tire *before* the wear bar is reached; 1.6 mm is the typical recommendation in the US also.

But it is also true that most people go all the way to the wear bars in spite of the recommendation.

seadog
04-16-2015, 08:45 PM
Now I am not bragging but my M109R Suzuki never got past 8600 miles on the rear and never past 9000 miles on the front. Maybe that had something to do with those blasts to 130mph and flogging it thru the curves on M22 along Lake Michigan north of Manistee. I loved that road and ran it like there was no tomorrow. Luckily tomorrow has arrived and the Suzuki will be going to the dealer soon so that fine Deluxe will carry my butt on from here.....I appreciate the info on the tires, the Suzuki loved those Dunlop Elite 3's as they never missed a beat and never ever even slightly washed out on a curve(lucky for me) that would have left a mark for sure. I take it then that the Bstones come stock on the F6B's
I am also a tire air checker before every run, when the end of the day relies on the air being in those two hunks of rubber I will do everything possible to make sure it stays there. Always liked the Shiney side up and the rubber side down if you know what I mean.....

srt8-in-largo
04-16-2015, 09:22 PM
Now I am not bragging but my M109R Suzuki never got past 8600 miles on the rear and never past 9000 miles on the front. Maybe that had something to do with those blasts to 130mph and flogging it thru the curves on M22 along Lake Michigan north of Manistee. I loved that road and ran it like there was no tomorrow. Luckily tomorrow has arrived and the Suzuki will be going to the dealer soon so that fine Deluxe will carry my butt on from here.....I appreciate the info on the tires, the Suzuki loved those Dunlop Elite 3's as they never missed a beat and never ever even slightly washed out on a curve(lucky for me) that would have left a mark for sure. I take it then that the Bstones come stock on the F6B's
I am also a tire air checker before every run, when the end of the day relies on the air being in those two hunks of rubber I will do everything possible to make sure it stays there. Always liked the Shiney side up and the rubber side down if you know what I mean.....

You gotta be a little crazy to ride an M109... my kinda bike! :icon_biggrin:

Be sure to commemorate the day tomorrow with a picture because if you love the F6 as much as I do, it'll be with you for a LOOOONG time.

troypennock
04-16-2015, 10:11 PM
I have had 3 Valks and 5 Wings, before now, and currently have an 08 GL18A, 13 GL18B, and a 14 GL18C. I run 41 front and 44 rear tire pressure. This is the firmest ride I would want with a mix of interstate and bi way roads. I also change the front and rear as a set. The rear usually looks a little used-up at 12,000 and I change both at 12,000 +/- 1000. Could I get more miles for my buck? Sure. Do I really need to change tires as sets? No. BUT, I really like that NEW bike feeling you get with two new tires. And, it is worth the few pennies saved? I don't think so, for me anyway.

Elin in So. Cal.
04-16-2015, 10:41 PM
I replaced the rear at 16,000 and the front at 18,000. I ride a lot of twisties and lean hard, so it was no surprise that they needed to go. I put the 709 and 703? set on there, holding the front off until the 18,000 mark and bars showed me it needed changing. The set was on sale at WingWorld, and free shipping.... no brainer.

Have I mentioned I LOVE this ride???

Texas TC
04-18-2015, 02:24 PM
Got my new Stone installed this morning. 16,000 miles and the one I repaced was pretty shot, not to mention the three inch nail that was bent around inside the old tire. I cannot believe it still held air.